Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Traitors is hilarious the way the group had a full on meltdown after 48 hours. Yes it is just Mafia/Werewolf but it is entertaining trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/iainlee/status/1601111406153437185?t=2ACIG_Cvz9TVHagABkxOsQ&s=19

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Blimey, CB has lost it big time!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Globalists is usually the dog whistle for Jewish people, so uh :cripes:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The_Doctor posted:

Globalists is usually the dog whistle for Jewish people, so uh :cripes:

I mean "the great reset" tells you everything you need to know
That's such a shame - although honestly he's just the right sorta guy to fall for that

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The Traitors is hilarious the way the group had a full on meltdown after 48 hours. Yes it is just Mafia/Werewolf but it is entertaining trash.

I only watched the first 10 minutes or so of the first episode (enough to find everyone on it annoying) but smugly told my wife those first 2 that got kicked out would be back.

As they were exploring the house there was a room with portraits of all the contestants and I was pretty sure I didn't see one for either of the two guys kicked out. Seemed like an odd thing to have done already if it wasn't pre planned.

Might have just been a cheap production mistake (or I missed them on the wall) but my wife just told me they're back so my smugness feels vindicated.

I'm guessing the whole show is as dumb as Claudia Winkleman trying to sound mean?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Taear posted:

I mean "the great reset" tells you everything you need to know
That's such a shame - although honestly he's just the right sorta guy to fall for that

It's a pretty Rimmer thing to do

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What a smeghead, a shame.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Here's something I've always been curious about and maybe people in the thread know.
In Masterchef (all three versions, celebrity, professional and normal) do they get extra time together cooking and training? It doesn't SEEM like they do but I'm always baffled when in only 4 tasks someone goes from "here's a frozen pizza" to "here's a veloute and a perfect duck with candied lemon"

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

There are cooking advisors that mostly stay off screen. I only remember one showing up when a celeb could not keep their work surface, or the surrounding area, even remotely tidy. This person I've never seen before came in to yell at them.
I presume they do a fair bit of coaching, because I cynically do not believe reality television.
The REAL mystery of Masterchef is what did that contestant do to got scrubbed from the edit in the last season of Professionals. I choose to believe they insulted Marcus Waring and he demanded they get unpersoned, but maybe the mystery contestant was covered in white nationalist tattoos and the production team noticed Sky getting yelled at for the nazi carpenter.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I love how tongue-in-cheek serious it's taking itself with the overdone production and Claudia is eating up the camp factor, it's great. Really fun bit of reality TV that scratches an itch from the days of "The Mole", if anyone remembers that!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Rimmer's internet interests seem p healthy compared to Linehan's imo

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Squishy posted:

The REAL mystery of Masterchef is what did that contestant do to got scrubbed from the edit in the last season of Professionals. I choose to believe they insulted Marcus Waring and he demanded they get unpersoned, but maybe the mystery contestant was covered in white nationalist tattoos and the production team noticed Sky getting yelled at for the nazi carpenter.

The 2020 season, first round skills test? That was bugging me too. There are three prevailing theories online.

- He buggered up the skills test of making Crepes Suzette and had a sweary breakdown at Marcus Wareing involving the phrase "Who are you to criticise me when you're losing your loving Michelin stars, mate? (unlikely, as the edit was clearly done pretty hastily, and they would have had months to re-edit the episode if he had thrown a tanty at the time)

- He worked for a cruiseline company and went on Masterchef during a period of time that he was either supposed to be on the sick/on furlough, or that he was under some sort of NDA agreement with regards to the recipe he cooked (would the BBC really have cared so badly about the terms of a contestants contract that they would have hastily edited an episode at the last minute?)

-He done a fairly serious crime or was due in court relating to a serious crime, probably around the same time the episode was being filmed or broadcast, the BBC found out at the last minute and had to scramble to wipe him from the episode.

I love Masterchef, and I do like their new judge, Anna Haugh, though I miss Monica something fierce.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

crispix posted:

I wouldn't call a Qanon adjacent neo-nazi/anti-vaxxer thing p healthy but eh

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

crispix posted:

I'm surprised he hasn't been reinstated on Twitter yet. He's probably firing off emails to Twitter support every day hoping Elon sees them.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Irisi posted:

-He done a fairly serious crime or was due in court relating to a serious crime, probably around the same time the episode was being filmed or broadcast, the BBC found out at the last minute and had to scramble to wipe him from the episode.

This definitely feels like the most likely one, or had been found doing something naughty in the same sorta way
It's just unlikely that it'd be the swearing one as fun as it is because they had so long to clear it up

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

the funniest option would be that the producers realised that he'd never signed the release form.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Isomermaid posted:

I love how tongue-in-cheek serious it's taking itself with the overdone production and Claudia is eating up the camp factor, it's great. Really fun bit of reality TV that scratches an itch from the days of "The Mole", if anyone remembers that!

netflix made a new season of the mole this year!

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

The Traitors is great, so silly but really good entertainment. It's also very satisfying watching someone go on about how good they are at reading people and how they are CONVINCED they know who the traitor is when they actually have no clue.

Or they have no clue but have somehow got it right anyway. Keep going, Maddie, you'll get Wilf eventually!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Volcano posted:

The Traitors is great, so silly but really good entertainment. It's also very satisfying watching someone go on about how good they are at reading people and how they are CONVINCED they know who the traitor is when they actually have no clue.

Or they have no clue but have somehow got it right anyway. Keep going, Maddie, you'll get Wilf eventually!

It's so good! The level of emotional intensity they're already at is so high that I've got no idea how they'll manage for the rest of the show. Miranda's really good at this game. High emotional intelligence, makes good calls but Will makes make me super nervous for the traitors. Maddies great and i hope either she or Miranda wins.

Hate having to wait for the next episode! Argh.

Confusedslight fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 14, 2022

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Confusedslight posted:

It's so good! The level of emotional intensity they're already at is so high that I've got no idea how they'll manage for the rest of the show. Miranda's really good at this game. High emotional intelligence, makes good calls but Will makes make me super nervous for the traitors. Maddies great and i hope either she or Miranda wins.

Hate having to wait for the next episode! Argh.

The uneven scheduling to fit around the football is painful! At least we get another one tomorrow night too. I keep trying to convince friends to watch it but apparently my taste in TV is too bad to be trusted.

Amanda is SO GOOD at this game. She must be a really formidable estate agent. That bit after Alyssa went where she warned Wilf not to cross her was so juicy. Wouldn't be surprised if she ends up throwing him under the bus at the last minute to take the whole prize pot.

I would be cool with a Maddie win as well but announcing that she's also an actress was a truly terrible idea. I have a soft spot for Andrea and Aaron as well.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The spontaneous bit of dancing was really sweet and was a little bit of a much need very brief breather. Just nice to see them have a bit of fun.

Just felt for maddie so much at the "party game". Felt a little rough. but yeah her saying the acting bit was not the smartest of moves.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

The Traitors last night! Oof. I figured that Wilf was going to snake out Amanda eventually but I didn't think it would be so soon. She really hosed it with that Theo vote – definitely think she would have gone all the way otherwise.

About the preview for tonight – I think Kieran will have to turn rather than leave the game but there's going to be so little trust there. Either one of them could just immediately vote the other one out to make themselves look better. Also it'll be annoying if Kieran gets a solo win at the last minute through no success of his own! Wilf's face in that shot of him taking off the hood cracked me up though. Can't wait to see how this goes down.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Surprised more people here aren't watching it. But yeah I think Wilf made an error in getting Amanda out, him saying he has to pick someone who he can trust lol like you said no ones going to trust him. Wilfs smile on the next time trailer gave me American Psycho vibes not going to lie haha.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

Confusedslight posted:

Surprised more people here aren't watching it. But yeah I think Wilf made an error in getting Amanda out, him saying he has to pick someone who he can trust lol like you said no ones going to trust him. Wilfs smile on the next time trailer gave me American Psycho vibes not going to lie haha.

Did you watch tonight's yet?? The vibes are so much more tense now - everyone's just having a nervous breakdown!

I had absolutely no idea which way that roundtable was going to go. Nice to see Maddy apologise to Aaron but I guess she won't get the vindication about being right about Wilf in the end! At this point I can only see tomorrow ending with Wilf throwing Kieran under the bus and then winning, he's just got too many allies at this point - but ohhh it's gonna be a tense one...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Confusedslight posted:

Reality TV never really gets many viewers on here.
I don't think SA is the right demographic for it. Not since Big Brother anyway (the old big brother threads were great) and the big shift in how Reality TV works

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Taear posted:

Reality TV never really gets many viewers on here.
I don't think SA is the right demographic for it. Not since Big Brother anyway (the old big brother threads were great) and the big shift in how Reality TV works

There used to be a nice little group of Apprentice-posters back in the day.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Taskmaster is reality tv.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
They're both the right kind of reality TV where they actually do something.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Taskmaster is not reality TV.
Its a game show.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

All live action TV is reality TV, mostly about people who are pretending to be other people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
People think Taskmaster is live?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

Taskmaster is reality tv.

Taskmaster is just like Masterchef where it's actual tasks, it's not reality TV.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

I guess you could argue that The Traitors is a game show given that it's basically just fancy Werewolf/Mafia in a castle, but I guess it has a greater focus on the interpersonal dynamics so who knows where the line is. It does feel a bit more old-school reality TV though since the cast is actually a decent mix of normal(ish) people, rather than just identikit influencers, and it's a much better show for it.

I also watch a lot of properly brain-rotting reality TV though, so will discuss any old nonsense if anyone else is at all into it.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Big brother is a gameshow, it has tasks, a winner and a prize. It is also reality tv.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Volcano posted:

It does feel a bit more old-school reality TV though since the cast is actually a decent mix of normal(ish) people, rather than just identikit influencers, and it's a much better show for it.

Well guess what, the US are doing a version of The Traitors but with Real Housewives and Below Deck crew instead of normies!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I just checked the Guardian's Christmas TV recommendations to see if I should set to record while I'm away. I needn't have bothered, even by the usual "Christmas TV is crap" standard its all dross.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I looked up a list the other day to see if anything that slightly interested me beyond the usual Big Fat Quiz airing and couldn’t spot anything.

I’m nostalgic for the nostalgic programs they used to run all the time even. Maybe they should make a show of talking heads doing ‘remember whens’ about watching those shows.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I can't even be arsed with Big Fat Quiz these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s definitely not as fun as it used to be, even more sad that it’s the only thing to look forward to then.

I haven’t finished the one with Rosie Jones from earlier in the year even, just can’t be arsed.