Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

big cummers ONLY posted:

To whoever suggested Astrox Imperium a couple weeks ago, thanks! Looks great on my new system and it's really fun to play Eve without other people.

Now I've been having a weird itch for a more traditional MMO. Normally id install WoW when this hits but I think after 18 years I've finally mentally bucked that game, or at least my willingness to pay a subscription fee. Is there a standout f2p MMO people like? I played a little guild wars 2 at launch. Is that game fun as f2p with no DLC? If not, what do you like? Doesn't have to be fantasy or western art, any genre and setting is cool with me. Even anime.

Anarchy Online :getin:

But actually don't, well maybe give it a go if you want it's f2p for the base game, you can even multibox on f2p.

Star Wars TOR is also f2p now and has lots of singleplayer-friendly content.

e: Also MapleStory and Wizard 101 are still around if you want that sort of classic pseudo-mmo thing.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Portal with RTX is out today, it's portal with ray tracing! It runs at sub-60 on my 3080ti/5800X3D but it looks like it only supports DLSS3.0 which I don't think does anything if it's on since I don't have a 40XX. Seems cool, but really more of a proof of concept of nvidia's new ray tracing injection tech than anything so while it's technically impressive it's hard to get excited about since they seem to be developing this stuff with the 40XX cards as the main driver of it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

anilEhilated posted:

Still requires Uplay, right?

I imagine so yeah

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

explosivo posted:

Portal with RTX is out today, it's portal with ray tracing! It runs at sub-60 on my 3080ti/5800X3D but it looks like it only supports DLSS3.0 which I don't think does anything if it's on since I don't have a 40XX.

DLSS3 implementations still support upscaling on the older RTX cards, only the frame generation part is exclusive to 40XX cards

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

don't install video games on a corporate computer

We're not a corporate organization, and the nature of my position makes it normal for me to check out games as long as it's not during work hours.

Thankfully.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

repiv posted:

DLSS3 implementations still support upscaling on the older RTX cards, only the frame generation part is exclusive to 40XX cards

Ah okay, cool. Well it still kinda runs assy with it on but it would probably be tolerable.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also I could be wrong but I think Apple Arcade games work on Macs... if you subbed to that, you'd have access to: Shovel Knight Dig, Air Twister, Exit the Gungeon, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Oceanhorn 2, The Pathless, Alba: A Wildlife Adventure, The Last Campfire, Necrobarista, Neversong, Beyond a Steel Sky, Creaks, Spyder, INMOST, Jenny LeClue, What the Golf, Shantae 5, A Monster's Expedition, Fantasian, and Cat Quest 2. Most of which I recommend (Fantasian though... hoo boy, hope you like getting your rear end kicked). None of that is in the same genre as Wasteland or Battletech but they're good games.

burnsep
Jul 3, 2005

The 7th Guest posted:

Also I could be wrong but I think Apple Arcade games work on Macs... if you subbed to that, you'd have access to: Shovel Knight Dig, Air Twister, Exit the Gungeon, Sayonara Wild Hearts, Oceanhorn 2, The Pathless, Alba: A Wildlife Adventure, The Last Campfire, Necrobarista, Neversong, Beyond a Steel Sky, Creaks, Spyder, INMOST, Jenny LeClue, What the Golf, Shantae 5, A Monster's Expedition, Fantasian, and Cat Quest 2. Most of which I recommend (Fantasian though... hoo boy, hope you like getting your rear end kicked). None of that is in the same genre as Wasteland or Battletech but they're good games.

Now I'm worried the recent OS update might make gaming difficult for a while- this is on the Wasteland 3 Steam page: (Note: not currently working on Ventura 13.0). And from what I hear Battletech was pretty demanding.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

don't install video games on a corporate computer

Don't let life give you the MacBook! Make life take the MacBook back!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

was solar ash any good? looks like it came out today for pc and no one mentioned anything about it also i forgot it existed

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Anime Bounty bundle
-Kawaii Death Desu
-Big Dipper
-Synergia
-This world Unknown
-Strawberry Vinegar
-Raze Counter
-Tenta Shooter
-Rocketron
-Sumire

for $3.79

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/anime-bounty-bundle

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

explosivo posted:

Portal with RTX is out today, it's portal with ray tracing! It runs at sub-60 on my 3080ti/5800X3D but it looks like it only supports DLSS3.0 which I don't think does anything if it's on since I don't have a 40XX. Seems cool, but really more of a proof of concept of nvidia's new ray tracing injection tech than anything so while it's technically impressive it's hard to get excited about since they seem to be developing this stuff with the 40XX cards as the main driver of it.

21FPS lol

seems overall more like some techdemo stuff with the dev menu and all. Looks quite nice though, fitting environment for raytracing.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The default settings are... ambitious for anything that isn't a 4080/4090, definitely go into the Remix menu and drop it from Ultra to High and play around with the DLSS scale factor

I got it to about 60fps at 1440p on a 3070 (though that's with DLSS in Performance mode so the internal res is just 720p lol)

Portal is so drat short when you've played it before, I haven't touched it in a decade and it took barely over an hour to get through it

Veotax
May 16, 2006

haldolium posted:

21FPS lol

seems overall more like some techdemo stuff with the dev menu and all. Looks quite nice though, fitting environment for raytracing.

It basically is a tech demo. Nvidia has some new program they're releasing that can basically intercept a game's render path or whatever, and replace assets on the fly. So you can just select assets while the game is running and replace them without needing to mod the actual game itself, plus place raytraced lighting and stuff.
Portal RTX was made using that, without touching the game itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg52-HZhrFc

Apparently it only works with older DirectX versions, Portal RTX is actually running the DX8 version of the game, I think.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Portal RTX thing runs at like 90fps on my 3070Ti if I set DLSS to Ultra Performance, or 50-60 on Performance. Seems better than I expected.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The 7th Guest posted:

Chronicon nerds: the dev announced a new upcoming DLC last night that adds the 5th class, The Machinist

I've played too much Noita, this picture is very traumatic.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Veotax posted:

It basically is a tech demo. Nvidia has some new program they're releasing that can basically intercept a game's render path or whatever, and replace assets on the fly. So you can just select assets while the game is running and replace them without needing to mod the actual game itself, plus place raytraced lighting and stuff.

Apparently it only works with older DirectX versions, Portal RTX is actually running the DX8 version of the game, I think.

oh its that omniverse thing, I remember nvidia annoucing it a while back. Interesting.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/company-heroes-complete?partner=nintendeal

The definitive WW2 RTS experience

Command the definitive Company of Heroes 1 + 2 experience with this massive bundle of games, expansions, and add-on content from Relic Entertainment’s iconic World War II real-time strategy series!

Go back to where it began with the legendary original game plus both Opposing Fronts and Tales of Valor expansions. Experience the ferocity of the Eastern Front in the acclaimed sequel Company of Heroes 2—plus every solo campaign and multiplayer army expansion available, along with an enormous arsenal of mission packs, unit skins, and more add-on content.

Get the ultimate WW2 strategy game experience, and support WDC (Whale & Dolphin Conservation) with your purchase!

$15 for everything

$10 for 10 items

$1 for 2 items

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can you watch these game awards thing on your phone through the app or does it need to be on the computer?

I can’t seem to find it in the new app

Edit oh it’s some new steam website

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 9, 2022

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
There are many livestreams on YouTube.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

was solar ash any good? looks like it came out today for pc and no one mentioned anything about it also i forgot it existed

I played it on PS5 last year. It's good, but a bit of a departure from the dev's previous game, Hyper Light Drifter. It's in the same universe, has some charming VAs and a decent storyline. The gliding aspect is fun. It's worth checking out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

There are many livestreams on YouTube.

Yeah you can’t win the drawing though if you aren’t watching it through the steam site

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Volte posted:

The Portal RTX thing runs at like 90fps on my 3070Ti if I set DLSS to Ultra Performance, or 50-60 on Performance. Seems better than I expected.

Ultra Performance renders it at a super low resolution though, so really it's not that impressive.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Private Speech posted:

Ultra Performance renders it at a super low resolution though, so really it's not that impressive.
It still looks okay, it's a bit fuzzy in motion. You still get most of the impact of the lighting and since portal is pretty old and boxy it's not a huge step down.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Lmao welp, which goon is gonna get fired from work first?

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1600993403788922880?s=46&t=n0Gql9BUv6oAnqLvJY-wMw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Wholesome Snack: TGA Edition recap

- Mail Time: Q1 2023, demo available this week. A 3d platformer about delivering mail, seems somewhat similar to Time on Frog Island where it is inspired by N64 Zeldas' game-long trading quests.

- Mineko's Night Market: 2023, demo available this week. Perhaps the best sign that this life sim is nearing completion is a full gameplay trailer and a first-time demo.

- A Most Extraordinary Gnome: Shadowdropped. An action-platformer where you throw your gnome hat at enemies/bosses, with a papercraft look.

- SpiritTea: Q1 2023. Gameplay trailer showing off more of the life sim elements that weren't available in the Next Fest demo. The character portraits look really creepy to me for some reason.

- Fae Farm: Q2 2023. Yet another life sim, although this one is 3D rather than pixel art, so at least there's that I guess? This is an overstuffed genre. No Steam page, maybe it's Switch-only?

- Way to the Woods: March 2023: Narrative game where you play as a deer. Part of the trailer showed you ramming into a vending machine in order to get some food to feed a smaller deer. Will be on Gamepass. Soundtrack by Aivi@Surasshu (Steven Universe soundtrack).

- Tchia: Early 2023. The Breath of the Wild-like where you can possess animals is on track to release next year. Trailer talked a lot about the game's local (Caledonia) inspiration, although there was gameplay footage as well.

- Loddlenaut: 2023. Demo avilable A Sokpop-looking game that somehow isn't, where you're an undersea scientist cleaning up trash and recycling it in order to save the planet, and befriending baby axolotl.

- Blanc: February 14th. Co-op narrative game about a deer and fox cub who must work together to survive a brutal winter.

- Tiny Glade: TBD. Newly announced game. A Townscaper-style building game set in a valley where you build little medieval dioramas by intuitively clicking and dragging.

- Bits n Bops: TBD. Demo available this week. Not content to let Melatonin be the only Rhythm Heaven clone on the market, Bits n Bops looks to do the same in a cuter package. Looks like it will have challenging remix stages just like RH. Currently on Kickstarter.

- Distant Bloom: 2023. You play as an alien terraforming a planet and growing a community, while exploring ruins and uncovering mysteries of the previous civilizatoin.

- Valley Peaks: 2023. Demo available this week. A first-person mountain climbing game with frog people. Might be open world? The trailer showed you hopping off a mountain and traveling around on a hang glider.

- Europa: 2023. Looks like an open world exploration game with fast and fun movement as you explore Ghibli-esque ruins.

I'll maybe do a recap of tonight's Game Awards as well if there are enough announcements. Maybe I'll post some awards of my own??? IDK.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh gently caress

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Veotax posted:

There was a Nexusmods Q&A about the RTX Remix tool-- the AI upscaling feature looks hella cool to me. But the nvidia rep ignored all the questions about whether modifications made with RTX Remix could work with cards from other manufacturers. And to be quite honest having mods exclusive to a closed system sounds pretty awful to me.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 9, 2022

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

a lot of phones are gonna melt

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AfricanBootyShine posted:

There was a Nexusmods Q&A about the RTX Remix tool-- the AI upscaling feature looks hella cool to me. But the nvidia rep ignored all the questions about whether modifications made with RTX Remix could work with cards from other manufacturers. And to be quite honest having mods exclusive to a closed system sounds pretty awful to me.

They already said in the original announcement that the editor only runs on RTX cards, but the packaged mods should run on any card that supports Vulkan raytracing

Portal RTX runs on AMD cards but performance in practice is currently uh, suboptimal though

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

who's going to take one for the team and try running it on the steam deck

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Poncle's said before that they dislike ads in mobile games and this has ads. You would think they'd just charge $3 for the game on mobile or something, given that they only charged $5 on Steam. Rather than be Free w/ Ads. just kinda odd

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The 7th Guest posted:

Poncle's said before that they dislike ads in mobile games and this has ads. You would think they'd just charge $3 for the game on mobile or something, given that they only charged $5 on Steam. Rather than be Free w/ Ads. just kinda odd

Yeah, free with ads to revive or boost gold after is meh. Just let me pay for the game again..

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Unfortunately people that just want to drop $5 for a no-bullshit experience aren't that big of a market on mobile.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The compromise is to release it as free and ad-supported but have a one-time IAP to disable the ads

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

repiv posted:

The compromise is to release it as free and ad-supported but have a one-time IAP to disable the ads

Yeah this.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

repiv posted:

I don't even think that option is there/available

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

I don't even think that option is there/available

It's not as of right now.

Also this Steam.tv thing doesn't seem to work very well. I don't think they will be displacing twitch anytime soon.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

repiv posted:

Portal RTX runs on AMD cards but performance in practice is currently uh, suboptimal though

I just replaced my 3060 Ti after getting an incredible deal on a used 6900XT, but every time I see a graph like this I wonder If I should put the 3060 Ti back in. thankfully I can't tell the difference between ray tracing on and off 99% of the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Also this Steam.tv thing doesn't seem to work very well. I don't think they will be displacing twitch anytime soon.

Steam.tv was introduced in 2019 then immediately abandoned in true Valve fashion