Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Amazon lets you download music for offline play.

In my experience, it doesn't matter. When I drive through mountains and canyons where signal drops out, it will just finish the track it's on and not start another until I have cell reception again. Like it has to authenticate every song as it cues up, and if it can't call home, you ride in silence.

A ton of services do this and it's extremely frustrating riding on the subways, trying to listen to poo poo I paid for and downloaded, and every 45 seconds having it cut out and tell me there is a licensing error. I've largely stopped paying for media again because the paid platforms are all such garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Amazon lets you download music for offline play.

In my experience, it doesn't matter. When I drive through mountains and canyons where signal drops out, it will just finish the track it's on and not start another until I have cell reception again. Like it has to authenticate every song as it cues up, and if it can't call home, you ride in silence.

So it is literally an mp3 player?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Lol its a worse iPod Touch

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It wouldn't be so annoying if the downloaded music didn't actually use just as much data as streaming. I tested it with an album on a there and back drive one time. Almost like having music downloaded does nothing at all.

Paladinus posted:

So it is literally an mp3 player?

They put alexa in an ipod nano.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Ruffian Price posted:

DisplayPort introduced me to one-way adapters as I needed two separate ones to connect a DP source to an HDMI display and an HDMI source to a DP display :shepspends:

Did you find one that work? Mine would not work and need to repl7g every once in a while.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I download stuff with Tidal and never have a problem listening to it on a plane or in the middle of nowhere in the car.

Capitalism still sucks of course but :shrug:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

decent solid reliable thumb drives from known brands like SanDisk are like five bucks for 32 gigabytes, and sketchy 1TB+ for $30.

what the gently caress are you talking about?

Some places don't allow unencrypted storage on-site as part of their data loss protection policies. Or doesn't make a lot of sense for IT personnel, though.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The iPod Shuffle was the last Apple product I ever owned that actually lived up to the hype or came within spitting distance of it even. I guess now it's been reinvented to be worse and cost 5x more lol, the reason it was dropped is almost certainly because it was viewed as affordable after all. It really was the perfect gym player, clipped on and you just drop your playlist onto it

Yeah the whole point of car is to be massively inefficient. You're never going to solve car problem with more car or different car.

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Dec 8, 2022

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah the whole point of car is to be massively inefficient. You're never going to solve car problem with more car or different car.

capitalism: ah, more car then

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

I simply steal all my music and buy merch off bands I like directly.

I miss my old iRiver mp3 player. It had a button you could press to add markers to songs, and once you placed two markers it would just repeat that section forever.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

i see u jevon's paradox pun

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Frosted Flake posted:

Imagine being this insecure and prioritizing that above wanting your baby to have something cute and soft.

otoh look at all those pockets

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
when you think about it, babies are the ultimate tactical carry, their hands with opposable thumbs allow them to equip all sorts of attachments like binkies, sippy cups, and ba bas that would be impractical with any other loadout

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Epic High Five posted:

The iPod Shuffle was the last Apple product I ever owned that actually lived up to the hype or came within spitting distance of it even. I guess now it's been reinvented to be worse and cost 5x more lol, the reason it was dropped is almost certainly because it was viewed as affordable after all. It really was the perfect gym player, clipped on and you just drop your playlist onto it

It was the first "gadget" I ever bought with my own money. Loved that thing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Plank Walker posted:

when you think about it, babies are the ultimate tactical carry, their hands with opposable thumbs allow them to equip all sorts of attachments like binkies, sippy cups, and ba bas that would be impractical with any other loadout

I think they're as reliable as modern military equipment, and with roughly the same maintenance needed.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
I swear undying allegiance to whomever brings back the Zune

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

The ceramic plate insert shortage has forced operators to seek out questionable alternatives.

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was the first "gadget" I ever bought with my own money. Loved that thing.

I bought mine with earnings from Amazon's Mechanical Turk.

SplitSoul has issued a correction as of 23:06 on Dec 8, 2022

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

The Demilich posted:

I simply steal all my music and buy merch off bands I like directly.

I miss my old iRiver mp3 player. It had a button you could press to add markers to songs, and once you placed two markers it would just repeat that section forever.

Lol I found my old Iriver in a box during a move. Still works bby.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Walkmans are where it's at, aux out into the tapedeck to create sick mixtapes that you can even share with your friends. Plus you can listen to new black metal releases.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Lol I found my old Iriver in a box during a move. Still works bby.

Rio Karma here but same

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

best of both worlds during the transition

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
I had a 512 mb flash mp3 player as a kid and I miss electronics you can chuck at a wall without damaging them

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I had this thing and it was awesome. I could easily control it in my pocket. That little joystick nub thing was brilliant.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

FFT posted:

decent solid reliable thumb drives from known brands like SanDisk are like five bucks for 32 gigabytes, and sketchy 1TB+ for $30.

what the gently caress are you talking about?

That doesn't make it appear in my office when I happen to need it, and they bought us flash drives that have an encryption firmware. I usually have a normal one on me but it wasn't in my bag.

Maleh-Vor posted:

I had this thing and it was awesome. I could easily control it in my pocket. That little joystick nub thing was brilliant.

I have a knockoff one from I think Fry's that puts a picture of a horse's rear end when you turn it off on the little LCD screen. It still works lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

skooma512 posted:

That doesn't make it appear in my office when I happen to need it, and they bought us flash drives that have an encryption firmware. I usually have a normal one on me but it wasn't in my bag.

I think its a lot better than it used to be. I read an a+ guide cover to cover in the late 90s and it seemed a lot worse with token rings and Zip drives and jumpers and scsi poo poo.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I had a 32MB Diamond Rio for which I lost the parallel port dongle, so it had the same 12 songs on it for like 7 years

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Subjunctive posted:

I had a 32MB Diamond Rio for which I lost the parallel port dongle, so it had the same 12 songs on it for like 7 years

you really get to know a song when the space is limited. you had to be discerning in your selection for the day. miss those times.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Maleh-Vor posted:

The best, the absolute best I say!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Shame Boy posted:

All those graphics cards just switched to mining some other coin though, it's not like the miners are just going to go "darn, you beat us, guess we'll throw away the entire global supply of graphics cards that we've bought over the last half decade".

e: Oh good Marketplace covers that, I didn't expect them to so I didn't initially check lmao

allow me to drop this here please: https://soundcloud.com/relentless-picnic/ep-26-this-is-marketplace

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

mawarannahr posted:

you really get to know a song when the space is limited. you had to be discerning in your selection for the day. miss those times.

[SCROLL]EMINEM (MARSHALL MATHERS) -- LOSE YOURSELF 8 MILE SOUNDTRACK ^^NINJA RIPP MP3 KREW^^ EXPLICIT (128KBPS).MP3[/scroll]

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

[SCROLL]Wierd Al Yankovich -- LOSE YOURSELF 8 MILE SOUNDTRACK ^^NINJA RIPP MP3 KREW^^ EXPLICIT (128KBPS).MP3[/scroll]

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

StrugglingHoneybun posted:

[SCROLL]EMINEM (MARSHALL MATHERS) -- LOSE YOURSELF 8 MILE SOUNDTRACK ^^NINJA RIPP MP3 KREW^^ EXPLICIT (128KBPS).MP3[/scroll]

Lose Yourself was on there, indeed.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

mawarannahr posted:

I think its a lot better than it used to be. I read an a+ guide cover to cover in the late 90s and it seemed a lot worse with token rings and Zip drives and jumpers and scsi poo poo.

The A+ is a terrible guide for what's modern, mine had CD as a file storage mechanism in 2022 and asked what a token ring is

(It's a good time :butt:)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

Get a player that supports HDtracks and you'll have the same feeling with a 128GB SD card inside.

Femur posted:

Did you find one that work? Mine would not work and need to repl7g every once in a while.
They're both Ugreen but I don't think that matters. DP to HDMI has dongles, the other way around is just split cables. The important thing is that DP needs additional power

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Maleh-Vor posted:

Playing with that little joystick nub in my pocket

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

ah i guess youre the target demographic for commercials masquerading as interviews saying how aspirational chicken sandwiches are

I just envisioned a serious discussion between two people about how the interviewee found purpose through KFC’s Double Down and the two of them realizing they’re in a commercial and screaming to be let out as they claw at the edges of the frame

lol (?)

Professor Shark has issued a correction as of 11:59 on Dec 9, 2022

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
just saw an ad on the ATM for post-college loans to help alleviate anxiety about having to pay for your initial loans.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

just saw an ad on the ATM for post-college loans to help alleviate anxiety about having to pay for your initial loans.

That's home economics 101, don't take up loans to pay off other loans. You would think that college educated people would know this, but...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

I don't have a capitalism picture handy but this thread's a huge bummer right now, even more than it usually is, so have this picture I found in my screenshots folder that I don't remember taking and have no recollection of what it could be from:

it's from reading strategies for young children, but it might help you too. lips says to sound out the first letter or two of the word. even if you don't say it out loud, pretending can help