Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Finally solo queue pays off for the ultimate dream team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Tagichatn posted:

For abhor the mutant, let it attack someone else and kill it with your ability active. Thunderhammer special works well or eviscerator although you should activate your ability while sawing it so it doesn't run out.

So I can get it if the mutant grabs someone else and starts slamming them but before they chuck 'em away? I'll try that. Have not had luck getting a potent enough Thunder Hammer yet, though. And all my Eviscerators are lower gear score.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

New bug encountered: stuck on the loading screen forever, can only press Space to cycle through the grimdark aphorisms

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

New bug encountered: stuck on the loading screen forever, can only press Space to cycle through the grimdark aphorisms

Impatience begets heresy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

widespread posted:

So I can get it if the mutant grabs someone else and starts slamming them but before they chuck 'em away? I'll try that. Have not had luck getting a potent enough Thunder Hammer yet, though. And all my Eviscerators are lower gear score.

No, after they grab someone it won't work. It took me a while to get it. They have to be mid charge. It helps if someone softens it up a bit.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Fishstick posted:

Finally solo queue pays off for the ultimate dream team

I wish I could change my class during the ready screen because I hate when there is more than one other of whatever I am playing.... except when I play Ogryn.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Phlegmish posted:

I don't get why Hardon has to be so condescending, who programmed her that way

She seems like she is missing at least half her quotes. Talking to her on the ship has her potentially be very respectful in the right circumstances. The stuff with her screeching at you over the data interrogator seems like it was originally for if you gently caress up the repairs originally (Some of the lines literally do not match if you think about them.) or if you dilly dally, which is a thing that will get all the NPC's increasingly annoyed if you lay about in certain parts of the map for too long.

Actually, this is the case for a lot of content. The more I play this the more it becomes obvious that this is for all intent and purposes an EA game without the EA tag on steam, with the added crippling downside of fairly extreme cosmetic monetization (And if they sell the rest of the starter classes possibly gameplay monetization.) by the standards of the genre on a paid game. Which never ends well unless the company adjusts course.

Probably some management type forced it out to release early to meet the holidays or whatever. Which will possibly gently caress up the game if it's going to take a freaking month just to get proper crafting, never mind all the other starting classes that games like this should have.

Also, i'm still salty that they have so much customization locked behind a paywall. Like, why the hell is the closed face stormtrooper style helmet preorder only? Ditto for why there's no real alternate customization outside of recolors and adding doodads on a singular type of outfit. Their competition has had (and the genre as a whole has understood this) basic poo poo like this down pat for years, so it's doubly insulting that what alternate character customization exists is primarily locked behind a cash shop of all things.

It also makes it harder to get interested in that part of the game, since holy poo poo the game has so many issues that I wonder if it's going to have long term viability or if they're just going to put out a pittance of content and just start putting the primary amount of work on Darktide 2 or whatever since they can't bilk customers for lots of money given the fan backlash Darktide is receiving on several fronts.

Gameplay itself is fantastic though. The hybrid combat with gunplay is what I wanted out of Vermintide after getting used to it. If they actually support this with as much dedication as something like Payday it's going to be my new match based game for co-op.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 8, 2022

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i preordered and didn't get a closed face stormtrooper helmet 🤔

the preorder outfits were all bandanas

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Jerkface posted:

i preordered and didn't get a closed face stormtrooper helmet 🤔

the preorder outfits were all bandanas

It might be a special edition or something then. But it definitely exists. If I had to describe it, i'd describe it as a janky rear end helmet of the Inquisitorial model of stormtrooper armor the Inquisition uses.

Also, some of the minor design details in the art direction are amazingly grimdark. Did you know that cargo crates have to have what disturbingly looks like a fetus sized skull someone chopped the front off of as part of the switch mechanism? Like, what loving STC gave them that batshit insane idea?

I'm just imagining some goth nerds back in the golden age of mankind dark ages designing standard template constructs for future generations and adding in the wicked skull topping it all off for shits and giggles since the aesthetic was cool as gently caress and they figured no one would be crazy enough to look at the list of ingredients to make a switch to open up an automated cargo crate and seriously believe it needed the front of a tiny skull made of real bone as part of it.

Edit: Also, there are definitely some small details that are randomized. The radios you can sometimes see in all of the missions can be active in missions to disrupt chaos broadcasts. Usually it's some chode gurgling the words "Join us. Join us. Join us. Or die!". Y'know, generic D grade villain effort to be persuasive, like that would persuade people to become Nurgle worshippers. But on one occasion I heard what I sounded like a fairly eloquent woman talking on it and giving what sounded like a fairly eloquent example of why life as a worshipper of Nurgle was a better state of being than as an expendable slave of the Imperium.

Of course her arguments all carefully left out key facts. Like the whole "be a part of a great cycle!" thing meaning getting turned into plague zombies. But if you were new to the setting, didn't know what Nurgle was, and stopped to listen she made some good points. "Live a life free of pain and suffering." also didn't explain how you'd get there.

Not sure if it's part of the same broadcast but yeah. Was a nice touch and made me wish I could stop to see if that broadcast was just the demon loving with people, since it seems like it gets more overt the closer you are to the broadcast center.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 8, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011
The guard helmet with the rebreather is behind the final Sharpshooter penance. If you mean the one from the key art with the rebreather and the goggles, it's not available anywhere yet.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hell yeah, a power maul, and whatever a crusher is. I've been looking for a classier replacement for the ogryn shovel so I'm glad to see we're getting one. Hope it's got the ratbash mace moveset for versatility.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's perfectly fine to find the monetization distasteful or just not like it or whatever but it's hardly extreme. Like games where you have to pay for features or actual mechanical things exist. This is barely there.

Like, "the game isn't even finished, the cracks are everywhere, but they found time for a pay store" is basically the very online narrative but it's just not true. Like yeah there's a pay store and yeah there are parts of the game aren't done yet. They aren't really related problems.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I think they should give the Ogryn a lascannon

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Mendrian posted:

Like, "the game isn't even finished, the cracks are everywhere, but they found time for a pay store" is basically the very online narrative but it's just not true. Like yeah there's a pay store and yeah there are parts of the game aren't done yet. They aren't really related problems.

it's very funny to me though because the cash shop is also incredibly janky and half-baked too

i am still playing this game because it feels very good to boot up and mash stuff though. the extreme thin-sketch destiny-wannabe number-go-up stuff surrounding that is only interesting to me in the sense that it helps the playerbase be big enough to form groups. new toys are nice but i don't feel like i have to be progressing toward something to make exploding four zombies at a time amusing.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Chillgamesh posted:

I think they should give the Ogryn a lascannon

The ogryn should just sit on the mourningstar in charge of a macrocannon but the player has to solve sudoku puzzles in order to operate it

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
I mean compared to other proper studios releases. Yeah this would be early access. As many have said, this is how fat shark operates and it's not great but based on their previous track record the game will be 100% eventually which is more than you can say for many early access games

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah ok so I just got the rapid fire laser gun on my veteran

80 bullet magazine and it deals this much damage with this accuracy? There are like zero drawbacks with this gun. It's ridiculous

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Zzulu posted:

80 bullet magazine and it deals this much damage with this accuracy? There are like zero drawbacks with this gun. It's ridiculous

The two downsides I see to the recon lasguns are that you can't fit as much burst damage into your active window as you do with the harder hitting guns or even the semi-auto lasgun.

The other downside is that you need to expose yourself for longer to deal your DPS so you take more damage in return.

Overall though, I agree that the recon lasguns are probably the best weapons Veterans have. If they ever add customizable sights, they're definitely going to be top tier.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Vermintide 2: https://www.vermintide.com/news/log-in-this-mondstille-to-receive-gifts-from-the-wolf-father

quote:

Over the next 24 days, from December 8, 7pm CET/1pm ET/10am PT through December 31, we invite players on all platforms to celebrate Mondstille with us in Taal’s Horn Keep! Throughout this celebration, players can find Lohner waiting for them with gifts for their hard work.

Where Lohner obtains these gifts no one knows, but one thing’s for certain; the Ubersreik Five know better than to look a gift wolf in the mouth. 

Gifts from the Wolf-Father

With each visit to the daily rewards found in Lohner’s Emporium, you will be awarded with premium cosmetics, chests, and we’ve even opened the game’s vault to bring back earlier frames that players may have missed out on in previous years (and making a first-time appearance on some platforms)! You can check which gifts you’ll receive each day on Warhammer: Vermintide 2’s social media, as well as in the game’s launcher on PC. You can also check back at this post each week to see a new week of rewards revealed.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Zzulu posted:

Yeah, it's basically a scaled down hellgun and it rules. Wait until you realize that you can get a perk that ignites any target it hits. I think collateral's description is bugged too since it seems to have some form of AOE.

Also, one of the weaker looking lasguns is potentially surprisingly powerful. The Kantrael MKIV has so much ammo the counter loops back around to 000 until I go beneath a thousand. There is also a rareish perk that adds damage to the shots (around 100ish) according to stagger damage. Which means if you get a good roll it just annihilates everything.

Sure, it only does around 100ish damage per shot. But since each shot only costs like 2 in a clip and you can fire as fast as you can click you can see where this is going. It's to getting carpal tunnel or tendonitis.

Edit: Also, +20% damage to unarmored enemies on a high damage boltgun that has shattering impact is hilariously overkill.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 9, 2022

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Phlegmish posted:

I had that happen on my attempted return to the mothership after a mission. Had to terminate the program manually and then re-launch, but it at least registered the mission complete for the purposes of experience/money/challenges.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I thought they fixed the contract tracking with the hotfix yesterday but nope, broken again today. :(

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

"Play 25 missions for this currency"

Hahaha no

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I've got to collect a lot of scriptures, let's see what missions are on the board.

Oops all grimoires

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Republicans posted:

I thought they fixed the contract tracking with the hotfix yesterday but nope, broken again today. :(

I can't swear this is true, but it feels like the tracking will work for one map after I log in, and then with the exception of completing missions and maybe scriptures I need to log out and log back in for it to track again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

The Demilich posted:

"Play 25 missions for this currency"*

Hahaha no

*Played missions are not always guaranteed to qualify

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

marshmallow creep posted:

I can't swear this is true, but it feels like the tracking will work for one map after I log in, and then with the exception of completing missions and maybe scriptures I need to log out and log back in for it to track again.

Just played my second round. Had a flamer psyker on my team who pretty much solod the whole mission with fire EVERYWHERE.

They seem pretty neat.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The Demilich posted:

Hahaha no

I mean, you're playing them anyways. It's kind of the point of the game. To play missions.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

The Demilich posted:

Hahaha no

These suck because I’m trying to do more heresy missions but we often lose those and I don’t really want to grind lower level ones on my 30. I like doing lower difficulties on my alts but of course none of that progress is shared.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
I've been thinking a lot about how many of these design choices were just :fatshark: doing Fatshark poo poo and how much were Tencent driven calls, and there's some things that feel like they're certainly the latter: launch feels like they had to get it out before Christmas and were shuffled into that timeframe. The cash shop and the absurd rng mechanics also feels like someone from outside Fatshark saying "Make as many design choices to get people logging in as you can" and them forcing it into the design given that it' overtly, obviously a step back in every way.

It could all just be misguided design choices, but Fatshark never felt like it to this extreme before.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Internet Explorer posted:

I mean, you're playing them anyways. It's kind of the point of the game. To play missions.

Each mission is like, 30 mins or so with the average pub team, so that's at least 12 hours a week.

I guess you could speedrun them all but speedrunning blows and also half the missions are still gonna gate you to about 15 minutes via the horde stuff.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

I've been thinking a lot about how many of these design choices were just :fatshark: doing Fatshark poo poo and how much were Tencent driven calls, and there's some things that feel like they're certainly the latter: launch feels like they had to get it out before Christmas and were shuffled into that timeframe. The cash shop and the absurd rng mechanics also feels like someone from outside Fatshark saying "Make as many design choices to get people logging in as you can" and them forcing it into the design given that it' overtly, obviously a step back in every way.

It could all just be misguided design choices, but Fatshark never felt like it to this extreme before.

idk. i feel like occam's razor is not "the investors made specific design demands of a game they couldn't even be bothered to publish themselves" but rather "these half-baked systems worked well enough to change focus to the things that were actually on fire at the moment." if they actually set out to create a skinner box, or actually set out to whale hunt with IAP, it wouldn't look like this. the progression systems and monetization both look like minimum viable product stuff to me.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
No I've never played any other live service game, what are those

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Live service, laugh service, love service

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Internet Explorer posted:

When they add more content I'll think of the 10 minimum hours I'll need to complete this.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Mendrian posted:

It's perfectly fine to find the monetization distasteful or just not like it or whatever but it's hardly extreme. Like games where you have to pay for features or actual mechanical things exist. This is barely there.

It's absolutely extreme in the nature of how it was implemented and what it represents given the standards of the genre. Other 4x horde shooters of the same variety understand this. Hell, Payday 2, Deep Rock Galactic, etc, etc, have vast customization that was available pretty much from release (if not sometimes outright at release itself) so as to avoid the "Why am I playing this?" feeling once you experience all the new content in the core gameplay loop.

By contrast DT has a Korean MMO-esque system of tiered upgrades to one singular outfit with recolors you can obtain for earnable in game currencies along the way. What customization there is that is different from the base layout offered with the product you paid for is locked behind further monetization preying on the user in a product that already costs $40. It's predatory as gently caress and reeks of bare minimum effort to meet a deadline while still raking in profits through a monetization schemata that was considered unacceptable by most people years ago given the amount of equivalent free cosmetic content similar products aspired to at release.

Sab Sabbington posted:

If it helps, the cash shop looks almost exactly like an updated layout and format of the one in Age of Conan, which belongs to Tencent as well since they acquired Funcom and AoC suddenly changed over to a battlepass and cash shop instead of putting out DLC regularly like they had been doing before the cash shop came along. So yeah. It's probably a case of the usual lovely launch from Fatshark coupled with Tencent's monetization schemes. So the state of the game is probably because they wanted the christmas rush after they had spent so long hyping it up.

Worryingly enough, the reason for the monetization change over in AoC was apparently that Tencent wants to justify further content development via usage of the cash shop. So let's hope that's not going to be the case here.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 9, 2022

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

Narrator: it was exactly the case.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
"Predatory" is a store full of entirely optional poo poo that looks like fuckin garbage

Archonex
May 2, 2012

terrorist ambulance posted:

"Predatory" is a store full of entirely optional poo poo that looks like fuckin garbage

Just because it looks like garbage doesn't change that it's there to begin with in that format.

Did get a lol out of the psyker outfit which is basically just some random street clothes though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

terrorist ambulance posted:

But what if you like garbage?

Preying on my god given desire to slurp digital trashwater. The sheer evil of it all...