Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

quote:

PS: English is not my first language. So take a cookie for every mistake you find.

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yes, and that absolutely sucks. Tea brewed for two minutes has a different flavor and set of aromas than tea brewed for three minutes. Adding water doesn't take out the extra tannin that the longer brew put in. It's like why an Americano tastes very different than a straight-up coffee: Okay, we brewed it with steam using dark-roasted beans, but we added water, so you're good, right?
Yeah and a long black is a shot or more of espresso on top of hot water so you still get the crema. This tastes very different to simply pulling a whole cup through the espresso machine (awful bitter, scalding hot).

But for guy that wants coffee water, I doubt that "normal coffee, diluted down" tastes too differently to his version.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Quackles posted:

AITA for asking my neighbour to attend Church for a few days in order to help out her disabled daughter?

Bolding in original.

That's... hm. At least with the story as presented, it really does look like someone going "hey, my church is a good local community, maybe that's a way for this kid to get some friends", but maybe messing up that message a little along the way. I don't really think the kind of person who would try and scheme about converting people would be the kind of person who'd be willing to say "I never suggested she actually pay heed to the pastor" to win points online.

Nonreligious homeschooling is a bit of a question mark--I assume it's because of the cerebral palsy, and the local schools just don't have resources for good accommodation of it (which sucks).

At least with the facts presented, I'm going to say NTA, and OP seems like a good person?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've ended more than one conversation with "Go gently caress yourself, grandpa" but none of those guys were actually my grandpa.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Larry Cum Free posted:

AITA for telling my girlfriend not to get me anything for xmas because she's just the middle man?

he didn't loan her $2,000 with a promise to repay, he just calculated that over the course of the relationship he's covered $10K worth of stuff and she's paid him back $8K

lmao

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Halloween Jack posted:

You think the guy who drinks extremely watered down coffee is savoring the precisely correct amount of tannins? If so, the answer is for him to get his own French press or whatever so that he can make his awful coffee.
Actually, I had a long-standing rage about oversteeped tea, which I then splattered all over the freshly-laundered thread. Sorry about that!

It came from Ask Amy:
I want a silent wedding reception. My fiance says it’s ‘irrational.’

quote:

Dear Amy: My fiance and I are planning our wedding. As the bride, I’m planning on making certain requests of my guests, to make sure that my special day is as perfect as possible. For example, I’m asking that my guests wear exclusively yellow at the ceremony.

My fiance has been supportive, but he angrily rejected my other request: that our guests remain silent throughout both the ceremony and reception (to ensure that the focus remains on us). My fiance said that this is irrational. He does not want to have a silent wedding.

I know it’s uncommon. I’ve never heard of anyone else having one, but we’ve had them in my family. The guests are not permitted to speak at all during the ceremony, and the only toasts allowed are from the mothers of the bride and groom. Instrumental music will be playing quietly.

During the reception, the guests may whisper among one another, but may not speak aloud. As the newly married couple, our focus should remain solely on each other rather than on any rowdy guests.

I know it’s a lot to ask, but I feel I should have the wedding I want, so that the start of our life together will be perfect. I want him to support me, even if we disagree on something.

Is my fiance’s lack of understanding and support a red flag?

— Silence is Golden

quote:

Silence: Congratulations! You are on the verge of attaining legendary Bridezilla status. Yes, there are many flags flying over this unusual affair (and they’re yellow, of course).

I hope your fiance is paying attention, because if you are this self-centered now — I can only imagine what the dynamic will be like later, for instance if you choose to have children.

Somewhere along the line, you seem to have gotten the idea that a wedding is for the bride alone, to serve her whims and fancies. No. Public weddings are family events and should celebrate the joining of two families.

Your fiance’s job is not to support you regardless of how dumb your ideas are. That’s not how marriage works.

Let’s start with your request that all guests must wear yellow. I have yet to see a man’s yellow outfit that didn’t bring to mind a giant banana.

Let’s move on to the silence. Generally, guests don’t speak during wedding ceremonies, unless asked to read aloud. But a silent reception? Aside from some traditions associated with a Quaker wedding (which yours obviously is not), the idea of a silent reception goes well with your color scheme: basically bananas.

If you don’t want rowdy guests, then limit (or don’t serve) alcohol. If you want the focus solely and exclusively on you, then get married in a small room, standing before a mirror.

BTW, Quaker/Society of Friends members may be married within a silent Meeting for Worship, but they still stand up and make vows, and people present may stand up and respond. The receptions are as noisy as anybody else's.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It came from Ask Amy:

quote:

If you want the focus solely and exclusively on you, then get married in a small room, standing before a mirror.

lmao (lmaoing in a whisper ofc)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Actually, I had a long-standing rage about oversteeped tea, which I then splattered all over the freshly-laundered thread. Sorry about that!

It came from Ask Amy:

BTW, Quaker/Society of Friends members may be married within a silent Meeting for Worship, but they still stand up and make vows, and people present may stand up and respond. The receptions are as noisy as anybody else's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnXErLqExv4

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
God gently caress take me to the silent wedding so I can try and fail a muttley laugh throughout

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
BBL, I have to buy some yellow trousers I'll never wear again for the most insufferable person I know

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Insist on a veggie and bean rehearsal dinner

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Conspicuously drink a lot and then tell everyone they weren’t yellow at the start of the evening

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

teen witch posted:

Insist on a veggie and bean rehearsal dinner

And these are the chairs.

Larry Cum Free fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Dec 8, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

gently caress it, I'm going full banana suit and tie

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
i wonder if they sell yellow ball gags

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

gently caress it, I'm going full banana suit and tie Big Bird Halloween outfit
FTFY.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Halloween Jack posted:

Inside you there are two wolves. They have restraining orders against each other

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

tater_salad posted:

gently caress you buddy.. I clicked the link and this is what I see

r/relationships: his computer keyboard smelled like anal glands

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

teen witch posted:

God gently caress take me to the silent wedding so I can try and fail a muttley laugh throughout

Each table gets distributed a set of cards, used to play popular japanese tv show sketch "silent library"

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

pentyne posted:

It was something her dad did for her growing up, and there's got to be a strong sense of nostalgia/familiarity for it and thinking she could taste the barest hint of sauce on the "essenced" noodles whether or not it was true. Dumb, but childhood eating traditions can really impact your mind for what you think tastes good regardless of quality.

Boyfriend just lied to her about doing it her preferred way for weeks years? and then finally opened up with full on mocking her for not being able to tell the difference. Not like patronizing chiding her or something but full on "you're so loving stupid, I can't believe it, lol you're stupid"

AITA for being mad my bf won't make noodles the way I like

So my mom made a taco ring thing sometimes, but I don't much like the biscuity outside. She set aside some of the inside stuff so I can make a taco salad instead. She did not make the taco ring, scoop out the meat, and make me a salad with that.

I don't understand why he didn't just set aside the noodles to begin with, causing her to develop this weird food quirk.

haveblue posted:

yeah, uh, good luck with that now

Because of that, I was gonna be like "hey why don't you just adopt a baby?" but you know what, nevermind, that guy would be awful with a baby. Good thing they can't have kids.

The Lord of Hats posted:

That's... hm. At least with the story as presented, it really does look like someone going "hey, my church is a good local community, maybe that's a way for this kid to get some friends", but maybe messing up that message a little along the way. I don't really think the kind of person who would try and scheme about converting people would be the kind of person who'd be willing to say "I never suggested she actually pay heed to the pastor" to win points online.

Nonreligious homeschooling is a bit of a question mark--I assume it's because of the cerebral palsy, and the local schools just don't have resources for good accommodation of it (which sucks).

At least with the facts presented, I'm going to say NTA, and OP seems like a good person?

Then I will tell you this from personal experience: It's loving predatory and it feels like garbage to be told "Hey, I can see that you're struggling, we'll help you if you are ONE OF US." Even if you're already the same religion already. That church can eat poo poo if they really don't care about a disabled girl that much. And if they don't care, it's all in the woman's head, then she's lovely about that.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Dec 9, 2022

Hellequin
Feb 26, 2008

You Scream! You open your TORN, ROTTED, DECOMPOSED MOUTH AND SCREAM!

quote:

AITA for refusing to shoot nude for my brother anymore?

I (18f) have a brother (19m) who is a cinephile and has had a camera in his hand since the ripe age of 6. We have always been doing shoots together indoors and outdoors.

Recently, he had a project for his film school, asked if I could shoot for him and kept insisting, which I didn’t care as I’ve always been the only person who is in his short films or shoots.

I told him I’ll do this and he wanted it to be fifteen minutes long. After we were done with the scenes he wanted outside, our parents were on a work stay, so we had the free house to do the shooting and no interruptions inside.

It was a scene where it was the early morning and I wake up, make a coffee, sit on my balcony and smoke. The weather was beautiful and I understood the ambience he was trying to exude.

Until before the scene, he wanted a sense of “authenticity, realism and intimacy in the scene”, I asked him “what do you mean?” and he said “I sleep naked and it feels like a love letter to life”. I proceeded to say “you want me to be naked in the short film? That you will show your fellow classmates?”. He told me that “that’s film and it’s not weird as I am your brother. But not fully naked just topless and you can wear underwear.”

I didn’t really care about doing this and maybe it was brain fog in the morning. I didn’t care about his friends seeing my boobs as well, it isn’t a body part that is revolutionary to the eye anymore. I told him “I’ll do it”. We proceeded to do it and he got it on first try.

Everything was great, until I took a nap as it was very early. When I woke up, I understood the gravity of what I had done. I don’t know what went through my mind at the time and why I would do something so idiotic. Most of all, just thinking about my brother having a file like that sends bile up my throat.

I go back to him, ask him to give me the file so I can delete it permanently and that i wanted to redact the start where I was naked. He told me that he already “submitted it” and it would be pointless if I deleted it. I felt embarrassed and sickened. I still feel greatly upset with him and haven’t spoken to him. I informed him beforehand that i will not shoot for him again. He got upset and angry, told me that I was his “muse” and got him into his desired film school. He told me that I was being unreasonable and turning what I did into something abhorrent, when it was “art”. I am still not even looking at him just because of what I have done.

Maybe, I’m projecting and diverting this anger that has stemmed from embarrassment onto him.

AITA?

:catstare:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
All I'll say is that he has the kind of personality that succeeds in the filmmaking industry. He'll go far.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

From a few pages back, but: winter camping is fine if you're properly prepared for it. You can keep yourself really warm with a couple tricks:

-Get a mummy style sleeping bag and cinch it tight around your face. Don't breathe into your bag. It may feel nice and warm, but you're just filling your bag with moisture which will make you closer in the long run. Have a tent that's as small as possible, bigger tents have more air inside to keep warm, which will take forever, and a larger surface area so heat is lost faster. Double up your foamie if you don't have an air mattress. Have a foamie under your air mattress to insulate better. If you get too warm and start to sweat, cool yourself off until you aren't sweating anymore because as I said, moisture in bag bad.

I doubt OPs lovely mom will ensure she has more than the bare minimum for summer camping though. She said she was in Western Europe, and I don't think winter camping is much of a thing there, not like it is here in Canada, and here it's still a really niche activity for utter weirdos such as myself.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

:whitewater:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh god, I saw that one late enough last night that it had blissfully slipped into my unconscious until now
:ohno:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Midnight Voyager posted:

Then I will tell you this from personal experience: It's loving predatory and it feels like garbage to be told "Hey, I can see that you're struggling, we'll help you if you are ONE OF US." Even if you're already the same religion already. That church can eat poo poo if they really don't care about a disabled girl that much. And if they don't care, it's all in the woman's head, then she's lovely about that.

This doesn’t seem quite the same as the church saying “we see you starving, join us or continue to starve”. It makes sense for a community of people with children to get to know a new parent/child, and it would make sense for the lady to meet these people before dropping her kid off.

File the serial numbers off and it’s just a community, but in this instance they happen to have connected though a church.

Listen many, gently caress it most, churchgoing people are hypocritical jackasses, but sometimes they genuinely mean good with no underhanded evangelization

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's a shame that something not faith-based hasn't really stepped up to take the place as the centre of a community. Kind of goes hand-in-hand with the privatization of all public spaces.

There probably are some organizations and groups that have stepped up to fill the void, but I'm not aware of them or they don't really fit.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Halloween Jack posted:

One I keep remembering is sort of the opposite of picky eating: the OP whose girlfriend wanted "a bite" of every single thing he ate. It's the kind of thing that would be cute maybe once or twice.

It was worse than that, she wanted the FIRST bite of everything he ate. And got super upset with him when he finally took a bite of a fast food order in the car before getting home.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

JackSplater posted:

It was worse than that, she wanted the FIRST bite of everything he ate. And got super upset with him when he finally took a bite of a fast food order in the car before getting home.
Ah, that makes sense. It felt like a weird control thing but I couldn't place why.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I don't see the big deal about not getting a stocking, it's not like kids actually care about Christmas, right? :rolleyes:

Nah. He gets a stocking, but it doesn't have his name on it. Coz he is not worthy yet of deserving his own special stocking.

A 9 year old will understand and be OK with this surely.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

This doesn’t seem quite the same as the church saying “we see you starving, join us or continue to starve”. It makes sense for a community of people with children to get to know a new parent/child, and it would make sense for the lady to meet these people before dropping her kid off.

File the serial numbers off and it’s just a community, but in this instance they happen to have connected though a church.

Listen many, gently caress it most, churchgoing people are hypocritical jackasses, but sometimes they genuinely mean good with no underhanded evangelization

I hope I'm not the only one who started singing Cruel Angel's Thesis in their head.

odiv posted:

It's a shame that something not faith-based hasn't really stepped up to take the place as the centre of a community. Kind of goes hand-in-hand with the privatization of all public spaces.

There probably are some organizations and groups that have stepped up to fill the void, but I'm not aware of them or they don't really fit.

There is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Assembly

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 9, 2022

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

Ah, that makes sense. It felt like a weird control thing but I couldn't place why.

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/sc0kcy/aita_for_eating_my_fast_food_in_the_car_so_my/

AITA for eating my fast food in the car so my girlfriend can’t have the first bite?

quote:

I have been living with my girlfriend for the past six months. We’re both in our early 20s and have an overall great relationship.

From well before our relationship began, I’ve been a big fast food eater. There’s an intersection in my city that hosts seven different fast food restaurants, and I’ll frequent basically all of them. Since I do shift work I’m generally off the clock at around 11am, and then being too tired to cook, I’ll hit up a burger joint for a cheeseburger and some fries.

My girlfriend always wants to have exactly one bite, exclusively the first bite, of every item I order. When I noticed this, I would start by contacting her on my way to the restaurant asking if she wanted something. Her answer was consistently “no.” But when I get home and dig in, the crinkling of a fast food bag is like Pavlov’s bell to her. She’ll immediately beeline straight for wherever I’m eating and ask if she can have a bite.

I’ve asked if I could just leave a little at the end. No, she wants the first bite.

I’ve pleaded with her to just let me buy her food. No, she doesn’t want to eat that much.

I’ve tried ordering a bit more and letting her polish off the whole burger. No, she’ll turn every item into a sampler platter and then throw away the food I bought for her after the first bite if I don’t eat it.

I don’t like it. I don’t like this bizarre culinary version of jus primae noctis. For the past few weeks I’ve been eating in my car and discretely disposing of the wrappers. I was just telling her I wasn’t hungry after work, but the other day she found a garbage bag full of fast food wrappers in our bin on garbage day and she’s furious at me for lying to her.

AITA for not sharing with her?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Nerdlord Actual posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/sc0kcy/aita_for_eating_my_fast_food_in_the_car_so_my/

AITA for eating my fast food in the car so my girlfriend can’t have the first bite?

Leaving aside the food-based insanity, this reads to me as controlling behaviour. i.e. "You can only do this thing after I get to do a thing to it." with added "If you don't let me do this thing, it means you don't love me." emotional manipulation.

Although I may be drawing a little of a long bow on the 2nd one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Banana bride should just make everyone wear mirrors on their faces.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

odiv posted:

Yeah, hard agree. I don’t blame Midnight for wariness, I’ve had similar poo poo happen too

Elissimpark posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who started singing Cruel Angel's Thesis in their head.

There is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Assembly

Oh this is sort of cool, but also very weird and I don’t think I’d go :(

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Leaving aside the food-based insanity, this reads to me as controlling behaviour. i.e. "You can only do this thing after I get to do a thing to it." with added "If you don't let me do this thing, it means you don't love me." emotional manipulation.

Dude left a comment about how he got to have the first bite of something once when he got home because his girl was in the bathroom, and she got really miffed when she found out, and then ate the first of his chicken nuggets, natch

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
A new spin on working from home!

AITA for refusing to pay my husband for using a room in the house for my WFH job?

quote:

I (F32) began working from home 2 months ago. My husband bought the house we live in before we got together. He calls it his property which's fine by me. The house is small, has only 2 rooms , one of which used to be empty til I started using it as an office for my wfh job.

All was going fine with my job til he sat me down last night saying he's expecting 30% "profit" from whatever I get from my job since he "provides" the office for my work. I was completely caught off guard by this. I asked if he was serious and he went on about it being his home and how he could be using this room for his own purpose since it's "his property". I said no and called him unreasonable which led to a blowup. I yelled at him saying he won't get a penny and he pitched a fit and accused me of "taking full advantage" even though there's no mortgage to be paid. I do all chores in the house as well as share pay the bills in half.

He got his family involved in this and they're split. His mom thinks I'm being difficult and that 30% is not a huge amout and that this room is providing "stability" for my wfh and so my husband should get some sort of benefits.

AITA for putting my foot down and refusing to pay a penny?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Depending on the area, 30% of her salary can probably rent you a much larger space elsewhere, which will come really handy once she's divorced from this lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

BrigadierSensible posted:

There's an element of that. It's really pathetic on their part and not quite monumental "life, death, relationships" as it sounds, but you're not imagining it. It's a sign of weird controlling behavior. For her part it could be an outgrowth of a bad relationship with food. How many other straight dudes were surprised at just how psychically hosed up most of the women in their lives were around food consumption as adults? Could definitely see her behavior as a way to still indulge in bad habits (it's loving fast food) without the guilt, and ending up codifying it into some weird horror.