Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It was dead long before the rona in my local area :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Really though, Legion being a much more conventional wargame than X-Wing it would probably do fine with a new edition since that's just par for the course and very standard for the genre. They at least somewhat tried to avoid the original X-Wing model of holding upgrades hostage in ship packs you might otherwise not buy. I genuinely don't know any Legion players who bought any stuff they straight up didn't want to put on the table just to get the cards inside. The only standout examples that come to mind are some of the vehicle cards not having a lot of overlap ala the Hammers Pilot.

Tangential to the idea, I'm not sure what 2.0 would really need but my off the cuff answer would be less generosity with green tokens and power of range/gunlines. RNG is a really complicated topic that you would write a thesis on, but basically I felt X-Wing went downhill when you were able to make dice pools way too consistent which inevitably led to a lot of more concrete mathing out of interactions. I don't like how easy it is for some lists to get very perfect and clean with offense and defense, and think a lot of keywords and green tokens in general could have a baked in clause of "you can only have one of these things." In turn you tweak how often you hand out other keywords; Just tack on Nimble or Precise a little bit more. Dice modification is a quick way to add power and uniqueness to a unit, but over the course of playing FFG's Star Wars stuff I feel pretty confident saying that poo poo snowballs fast. Feels like it's kind of coming to a head in Legion with the one two of range 4 spider droid/super tac droid lists and now more recently with Vigilance Pykes. Tweak the points a little bit and reel these green tokens in overall.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Green tokens have clearly caused issues before with clone token sharing. I think you are right that the more reliable dice pools become, then the easier it is to math hammer the meta into a boring corner of net listing.

I also don't think that Legion needs a new edition just yet, but I do wonder when AMG might try to go back and upgrade the earlier releases aesthetically. It is the one consistent comment people have that the first few things you buy to build your army around are some of the weakest sculpts in the range.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Tangential to the idea, I'm not sure what 2.0 would really need but my off the cuff answer would be less generosity with green tokens and power of range/gunlines.
Yeah, I don't think Legion needs or wants a new edition, it's just not within the capabilities of AMG to rebuild and re-release the current line. And the online RRG keyword model, online listbuilders that near-instantly-incorporated points changes and erratas allow them to pull a lot of levers in a very agile way, compared to 40ks codex system.

A second edition would probably involve moving the game towards their ethos, fewer generic upgrades and more built-in bespoke stuff (note the Din, IG and Boba release had no new generic upgrades) a lá the new Xwing squad building rules.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Really though, Legion being a much more conventional wargame than X-Wing it would probably do fine with a new edition since that's just par for the course and very standard for the genre. They at least somewhat tried to avoid the original X-Wing model of holding upgrades hostage in ship packs you might otherwise not buy. I genuinely don't know any Legion players who bought any stuff they straight up didn't want to put on the table just to get the cards inside. The only standout examples that come to mind are some of the vehicle cards not having a lot of overlap ala the Hammers Pilot.
See you've actually stated the problem that a second issue would cause. X-Wing second edition avoided the upgrade hostage problem, but Legion second edition would de-facto replicate it unless the upgrade packs remained available for the duration of the game's availability. I wouldn't be surprised to see them moving towards how Team Yankee handles things, with the unit cards containing all the rules needed to run a unit and keywords pointing to the main rulebook for more complicated things and no upgrade attachments at all.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
They might have gone back on it but Warmahordes eventually went back on the authenticity fetish of "you gotta have da OFFICIAL CARDS or it doesn't count" with all the eratta they were doing, and as much eratta as this has they should really do the same. Doing that would take a lot of the sting out of a second edition. Hell you could argue we're on 1.25, 1.5 at this point, especially once the December point update drops.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Yeah, ultimately the default for wargames needs to be the companies still making physical copies of cards and upgrades and stuff, along with errata'd versions in newer boxes but having an overarching statement that everything can be print and play without exception. The hobby as a whole has thankfully moved beyond treating rules and points as being something secret and sacred that you can only speak of in whispers outside of opening a physical book, so we really need to just standardize going the rest of the way and letting all the information be free.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

They might have gone back on it but Warmahordes eventually went back on the authenticity fetish of "you gotta have da OFFICIAL CARDS or it doesn't count" with all the eratta they were doing, and as much eratta as this has they should really do the same. Doing that would take a lot of the sting out of a second edition. Hell you could argue we're on 1.25, 1.5 at this point, especially once the December point update drops.

They probably can't due to LFL licensing. But even in bigger store tournaments around here they've accepted printed lists (that show the errated cards) over real cards due to the level of errata.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

radlum posted:

The local Legion community is made up of part of the X-Wing community who dropped the game after 2nd Edition (another part turned to Kill Team, and a small group tried to keep playing X-Wing). I hope AMG realizes how much they lost by making 2nd Edition and don't try it with Legion.

Had my first games last weekend; I really liked the game (though we only played skirmish). I played with this rather basic list:

500/500
6 Activations

Luke Skywalker (Hero of the Rebellion) 160 + 10 = 170
--Force Push (10)

Mark II Medium Blaster Trooper 38
Rebel Troopers 40
Rebel Veterans 48 + 26 = 74
--CM-0/93 Trooper (26)

Mandalorian Resistance 72 + 36 = 108
--Beskad Duelist (28), Jetpack Rockets (8)

AT-RT 55 + 15 = 70
--AT-RT Flamethrower (15)

Son of Skywalker•, Ambush•, My Ally Is the Force••, Push••, Return of the Jedi•••, Standing Orders••••

Is there room for improvement?

In my limited experience, Clan Wren is the better way to run Rebel Mandos. 2 wounds per model makes them a bit less swingy, and they've got better guns and are even slighty better in CC as well. It's only 18 more points too, (20 if you slap situational awareness on there).

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

Stormies also suck because a lot of the visual interest is the black undergarment and the models don't really show it off very well. Rebel troopers aren't great but they're less boring at least

I did a decent job painting them, but assembling them was a real chore due to the soft plastic and mold lines everywhere. I don't think I'll ever buy more.

Edit:

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 5, 2022

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

The "points update" dropped today for those who might be unaware, and unless you're GAR it varies from "eh" to "gently caress this."

As a Rebel player, it feels real good seeing all my lists go up by 18-22 points because they hosed up with Pykes.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
Counterpoint: Vigilance deserved the bump and rebel trooper SA Vig spam was only slightly less obnoxious than pykes. The only hit to my rebel lists was OP Luke's Burst of Speed, which probably didn't need a bump at all as it was one of the main things keeping Vader, Palp, Yoda, Dooku relevant? I think their attitude is they don't like auto include upgrades, which is kinda dumb if it's explicitly a fix upgrade.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I never ran the Trooper+Captain spam myself, but yeah the Burst of Speed seems especially egregious. 10 points for a 1/ever movement buff? Get the gently caress outta here with that.

This update feels like I got smoked with a lot of collateral damage tbh.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Didn't they say they're doing a pass at the rules and keywords in general this month and this is taking that into consideration, too?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

Didn't they say they're doing a pass at the rules and keywords in general this month and this is taking that into consideration, too?

Yea, but why that couldn’t wait to be released together is a mystery.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Hipster Occultist posted:

As a Rebel player, it feels real good seeing all my lists go up by 18-22 points because they hosed up with Pykes.

Let me wipe all my tears over pyke spam getting worse

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Let me wipe all my tears over pyke spam getting worse

I think you misunderstood my point, I don't play Pykes (nor do I play dodge spam Troopers with SA for that matter), but it feels kinda bad seeing a lot of the upgrades that I did take (mostly keep to my operatives/commanders/mandos alive tbh) get more expensive because they made another part of the game too strong or what have you.

Kinda like how with certain online games and something getting nerfed because it was too strong in PvP, and that echoes back to the PvE players, if that makes any sense.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Hipster Occultist posted:

This update feels like I got smoked with a lot of collateral damage tbh.
The other side of this is that as the upgrades are so common, most lists got smoked to some degree, Idens got hit by OPush, Dews by Tenacity etc., and it ends up being a bit of a wash.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

hoiyes posted:

Counterpoint: Vigilance deserved the bump and rebel trooper SA Vig spam was only slightly less obnoxious than pykes. The only hit to my rebel lists was OP Luke's Burst of Speed, which probably didn't need a bump at all as it was one of the main things keeping Vader, Palp, Yoda, Dooku relevant? I think their attitude is they don't like auto include upgrades, which is kinda dumb if it's explicitly a fix upgrade.

My thoughts exactly. Vigilance was a bit too much of a default pick but I thought Burst of Speed was about the right cost for a single use upgrade taking up one of your force power slots.

I'm not sure why they didn't just increase Pikes cost a bit.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

As a Rebel dodge player, Vigilance deserved a hit, maybe a bit less of one, and Burst of Speed was pretty fuckin good so going up to 10 isn't awful. I don't like jacking up the prices on all the good training upgrades at once just in general- it hurts Rebel captain troopers bad but also kicks most Special Forces lists and some hero lists for no real reason

E: plus outside of throwing a bone to clones and for some reason death troopers none of the weaker units got buffed at all. Also no changes to Blizzard Force lol, though they've teased some rule updates later

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Hell yeah. Separatist battle force and Mando from my wife for Christmas. Though putting together 4 B1 squads is not something I’m pumped about.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

They’ll paint stupidly easy, at least. Tan body, black weapon, wash, and a squad marking if you’re so inclined.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

I considered buying the Separatist box for that very reason tbh

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Looking at my friend's Core + Separatist droid blob that he needs to paint, I'm thankful that I only have a fraction of that in unpainted Rebels.

On an unrelated note, Christmas has accelerated the arms race in our group and rebels not having a tank makes me feel a little anxious. Might be time to pick up a second snow speeder.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Douche Phoenix posted:

Might be time to pick up a second snow speeder.

:getin:

I’ve gotten to play them exactly once, but double speeders caused such a loss of horror in the person I was playing that I’m definitely doing it again.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Double speeder is legit one of the best rebel list right now imo

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I just bolted them on to one of my skirmish lists and called it even. Felt almost like playing x-wing, zipping them around the table.

Douche Phoenix
Oct 25, 2014
Just the one I already have and an operative is enough to make them fear a list. Made a Rebel gun line list for last week that was fun as hell.
3 vets, 3 mark 2s, 2 taun tauns, speeder and Din.
Pretty sure Din had a bigger target on his back, his high score is 8 suppression.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Finished some Stormtroopers:

I've got some vehicles and officers left to do.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Looking good, those stormtroopers are looking crisp.

A so-called "friend" sold me a shadow collective starter that he got for half off, so now I have those too in addition to my Rebels. I was almost done painting my minis!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Cessna posted:

Finished some Stormtroopers:

I've got some vehicles and officers left to do.

Crisp is the word, now find them a jedi to stress about!

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Thanks very much! White is the devil's own color, I hate painting it. Black is also no fun. As if the Empire wasn't bad enough they picked awful colors.

Next is an AT/ST, a tank, and some officers. (I may paint one as Dedra Meero.) Once that's done I never want to paint Empire again. I picked up the Hoth Rebel box, which should be more fun to paint than stormtroopers.

Edit: This is the model I'll use as Dedra Meero:

The model needs more jodhpurs, though. (Holy crap, spellcheck recognizes jodhpurs? What is this, 1890?)

I've also seen some 3d printed Imperial Army troops from Skullforge which are very, very tempting.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jan 12, 2023

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I did an officer as Isard, which is basically the same thing really. I have a good method for white- prime white and wash with apothecary white contrast- but the real trick is getting all the little black details without making them look like clown faces. Otoh I found the vehicles remarkable fun to paint for something that's just panzer gray, you can do some fun stuff with drybrushing and weathering. And yeah Rebels are great just for getting to do alternate uniform schemes, there's a bunch of different outfits even just in canon and pretty easy to justify stuff that's not as being some local militia

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Speaking of commander Luthen model when

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

StashAugustine posted:

And yeah Rebels are great just for getting to do alternate uniform schemes, there's a bunch of different outfits even just in canon and pretty easy to justify stuff that's not as being some local militia

Hell I mishmashed all my various squads of standard rebel troopers, veterans, upgrade packs, and probably some others so that none of my squads are even close to uniform in composition. I kept all the special weapons so those would at least be right, but otherwise everyone has a color marking somewhere on them to show which squad they’re in.

The Alliance was rumored to be a loose-ish coalition of lots of different species, and they’re going to look that way, damnit :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Yeah of my four squads of Rebel troopers I've got forest camo, desert camo, urban camo, and the Bajoran militia

E: Battlefront games are really good for alternate schemes

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

StashAugustine posted:

I did an officer as Isard, which is basically the same thing really.

I had to look up who that is; the red uniform is a very striking look that could be good on a model.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I was boring and just did Intelligence white from her early days, but painted the hair with the white shocks. Red could also work though, get a bit of color in there

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I did a squad of storm troopers as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and an imperial officer as April O'Neil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

enigmahfc posted:

I did a squad of storm troopers as the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and an imperial officer as April O'Neil.

Pics please!