Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
They may be faked, but still enjoy some Republican tears
https://www.c-span.org/video/?c5045109/user-clip-hartzlers-remarks&fbclid=IwAR3EGYBDZ7hce8v691P3aFKbj7GwqsQbUioCQpIVLV7apLqYW5Uid193_Rc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's only one conclusion to a lot of what I'm seeing online regarding China and COVID: their zero COVID policy is probably dead.

https://twitter.com/PhelimKine/status/1600831484944084993?t=8lRxpv3HRdX4gKkMYMwLzA&s=19

Unfortunately, their vaccination rates are poo poo, with poo poo-tier vaccines. Whole lotta people are gonna die, but probably less than a Delta wave.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well, it's good to see what felt like one of the few places taking it seriously join team "it's actually nothing, :lol:".

Not handing it to them or anything, just depressed that it feels like we've all collectively given up on it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
By seriously I assume you mean create a very mediocre vaccine and not even try to vaccinate people?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

There's only one conclusion to a lot of what I'm seeing online regarding China and COVID: their zero COVID policy is probably dead.

https://twitter.com/PhelimKine/status/1600831484944084993?t=8lRxpv3HRdX4gKkMYMwLzA&s=19

Unfortunately, their vaccination rates are poo poo, with poo poo-tier vaccines. Whole lotta people are gonna die, but probably less than a Delta wave.

edit: that was a bit grosser than I intended.

I'll keep the Medicine with Chinese characteristics comment, though.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

haha, medicine with Chinese characteristics. Rub some tiger dick on it!

Countdown to the wave of autobans that appears when the C-SPAM covid psychos thread realizes that strong daddy Xi doesn't think covid is a problem anymore

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Well I don't want to get horny for covid

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

lightpole posted:

By seriously I assume you mean create a very mediocre vaccine and not even try to vaccinate people?

Most of what I heard was of the very strict lockdowns to prevent the spread, mostly.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Zamujasa posted:

Well, it's good to see what felt like one of the few places taking it seriously join team "it's actually nothing, :lol:".
lol, yeah China's utter failure to vaccinate and hideously draconian, yet ineffective measures really showed it "took things seriously".

I'm looking forward to reading how tankies tie themselves into knots over the sudden 180. Probably by talking up traditional Chinese hocus pocus?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

The party has plenty of experience with that already, I'm sure they'll bullshit their way out of this too, and be admired by all the useful idiots in spite of it.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Goddamn they're gonna get a massive wave all at once huh? poo poo sucks :(

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Killing a tenth of your population "for the advancement of the party" is pretty par for the course for China. Just gotta brand this the Second Great Leap Forward.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

lol, yeah China's utter failure to vaccinate and hideously draconian, yet ineffective measures really showed it "took things seriously".

I'm looking forward to reading how tankies tie themselves into knots over the sudden 180. Probably by talking up traditional Chinese hocus pocus?

It's the West's fault, duh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hating London Breed may be the only political view I hold in common with Musk, and for him I’m sure that it’s new today.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

facialimpediment posted:

Inactivated vaccines are far weaker at preventing infection, especially against pre‐Omicron strains, but efficacy against hospitalization and death are within the error margin of the mRNA shots.

From Hong Kong’s winter wave of BA.2

BNT162b2 is Pfizer’s product, if that wasn’t clear.

Getting shots into arms* remains a problem.

*Or lungs; they’ve approved an inhalable vaccine and expect to have a couple hundred million doses of it next year.

Estimates I’ve seen published for death toll are a million and a half to a little over two million in the first year.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 9, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
https://www.oregonlive.com/business...d-security.html

Looks like some shitheads have been attacking power substations in the PNW but don't know about the designed redundancies

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sooner of later they’re going to attack a nuclear plant’s transformers, and boy will they be in for excitement then.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

facialimpediment posted:

This is quite bothersome because it’s fairly correct science twisted into propaganda that gets people killed. Yes, people die from the Covid viruses’ weird ability to hyper activate inflammatory systems in the body and that systemic inflammation is what seems to kill people. Prednisone, the bevacizumab and other immunomodilators all aim to halt or decrease this process, while remdesivir and plaxlovid are actual antivirals given early as possible to try to stop the initial viral replication. In fact, during the delta days we could almost tell how sick someone was going to get by how their body was reacting around day 6-10 after symptom onset, when the virus has actually mostly run its course but the inflammatory cascade starts revving up. People would either get better, or be getting very rapidly much worse. Maybe some Chinese medicines have anti inflammatory effects? But telling people it’s safe is way way hosed up. Our hospital has been at extreme over-capacity since about mid-November from Covid and flu wrecking people.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Interesting that they released the United States government to Russia in exchange for Brittney Griner

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

Most of what I heard was of the very strict lockdowns to prevent the spread, mostly.

Strict lockdowns that blocked people from entering the hospital with life threatening conditions, prevented people from even getting food, and caused a bunch of people to burn to death in an apartment building last month. All while blocking more effective western developed vaccines for purely political reasons and refusing to vaccinate their most vulnerable populations.

A real paragon for COVID prevention!

psydude fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Dec 9, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's the West's fault, duh

That one’s been prepped and loaded as the response for a while. The West’s refusal to adopt the same Covid zero policies would be what strains China to the breaking point.

I think in this case The West includes the rest of the planet as honorary members, because they’re all puppets of the US.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Warnock winning makes this a dumbass LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME stunt that you never have to think of ever again after this point:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1601174553249697802?t=Wo_jYNgN0qiFWPSd0sl3MQ&s=19

She apparently thinks she's going to keep her committee slots, which is only possible if she stays caucusing with Democrats, so she's just a dumb and bad Bernie Sanders in terms of the day-to-day Senate work.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

facialimpediment posted:

Warnock winning makes this a dumbass LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME stunt that you never have to think of ever again after this point:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1601174553249697802?t=Wo_jYNgN0qiFWPSd0sl3MQ&s=19

She apparently thinks she's going to keep her committee slots, which is only possible if she stays caucusing with Democrats, so she's just a dumb and bad Bernie Sanders in terms of the day-to-day Senate work.

How does she even breathe when she's up her own rear end in a top hat that far?

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.
Seems like she is trying to position herself as the new Bernie. I don't think it will work out well for in 24

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She’s trying to outdo Ted Cruz in being hated by her colleagues, and it’s just not possible.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If I'm not mistaken, Sanders has always been an independent and Vermont is definitely not Arizona.

How does she plan to get re-elected in 2024 without Democratic fundraising? Republicans will definitely help her out in order to split the Democratic vote, but she basically just committed career suicide.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

psydude posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Sanders has always been an independent and Vermont is definitely not Arizona.

How does she plan to get re-elected in 2024 without Democratic fundraising? Republicans will definitely help her out in order to split the Democratic vote, but she basically just committed career suicide.

Only thing I can think of is to setup a roadmap to change affiliation to the GOP. But there's no way she isn't primaried.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Bored As gently caress posted:

How does she even breathe when she's up her own rear end in a top hat that far?

She's trisexual - men, women, and her own farts

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

She's Dollar Store Knockoff Liz Cheney.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CBJSprague24 posted:

She's Dollar Store Knockoff Liz Cheney.

Liz votes with her own party tho

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

Liz votes with her own party tho

Yeah, Liz is a right wing nightmare who hates Trump. She supported every Republican policy with the exception of tongue bathing the dictator.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

psydude posted:

I think she's playing chicken with the AZ Democratic party and trying to force them into backing her. If she stayed a Dem, she would have been primaried and that would be the end of that. But if she's running as in independent, now the Democrats have two bad options -
1. Don't run anyone and back Sinema so at least a Republican isn't in office. No guarantee she wins, but it's her best shot at staying in office.
2. Run a Democrat and risk Sinema funneling off enough votes in a three way race that a Republican wins.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sinema has no guiding political ethos or policy framework. Everything she does seems to be aimed at grabbing attention, and nothing more.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 9, 2022

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How many hours till fox

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Arguably, this move is her best chance to keep her seat in 2024. She's not completely stupid - she's seen the polling, she knows that if she stays a Democrat, she's in for a very tough primary battle that she'll likely lose. Becoming an independent and making it a 3-way race is also the move Joe Lieberman pulled back in 2006 after getting primaried, and it certainly worked out for him.

... Of course, it's also an immensely selfish move, and a high-risk one at that. Arizona is not Connecticut, Vermont, or Maine, and Sinema is not a Sanders or Lieberman. She is a first term senator who has spent most of the past two years alienating her own base. She'll have her big donors, sure, and there will be some intensely stupid centrists and even a few Republicans that would support her over the Democrats, but who the gently caress else is going to support her? Who's knocking on doors, making calls, and otherwise sacrificing their time for a woman who has already clearly proven that she can't be trusted to support the platform she was elected on, when she's now guaranteed there's already going to be an actual Democrat in the race? Incumbency does matter, but all she's really done is ensure this upcoming race is going to be an absolute mess.

Then again, who knows what her plans are. Maybe she's not running for Senate again, and is planning some other kind of galaxy-brain move. Maybe she'll try some kind of quixotic Presidential campaign. But Christ, I cannot wait to be rid of this loving stupid, selfish rear end in a top hat.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

psydude posted:

Sinema has no guiding political ethos or policy framework. Everything she does seems to be aimed at grabbing attention, and nothing more.

Bingo! When they were negotiating bills at least you always knew Manchin was gonna bring money back to his WV companies but with her it was how do they find a way to get her onboard

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Arguably, this move is her best chance to keep her seat in 2024. She's not completely stupid - she's seen the polling, she knows that if she stays a Democrat, she's in for a very tough primary battle that she'll likely lose. Becoming an independent and making it a 3-way race is also the move Joe Lieberman pulled back in 2006 after getting primaried, and it certainly worked out for him.

... Of course, it's also an immensely selfish move, and a high-risk one at that. Arizona is not Connecticut, Vermont, or Maine, and Sinema is not a Sanders or Lieberman. She is a first term senator who has spent most of the past two years alienating her own base. She'll have her big donors, sure, and there will be some intensely stupid centrists and even a few Republicans that would support her over the Democrats, but who the gently caress else is going to support her? Who's knocking on doors, making calls, and otherwise sacrificing their time for a woman who has already clearly proven that she can't be trusted to support the platform she was elected on, when she's now guaranteed there's already going to be an actual Democrat in the race? Incumbency does matter, but all she's really done is ensure this upcoming race is going to be an absolute mess.

Then again, who knows what her plans are. Maybe she's not running for Senate again, and is planning some other kind of galaxy-brain move. Maybe she'll try some kind of quixotic Presidential campaign. But Christ, I cannot wait to be rid of this loving stupid, selfish rear end in a top hat.

You're probably right, but it strikes me as a strategy akin to lighting your condo on fire and then hoping your neighbors will put it out. She's probably not getting re-elected either way; at least if she'd kept the party affiliation she could have made the case in the primary that she had a track record of winning against Republicans. Assuming Trump is the nominee in 2024 (he will be), Dems will probably feel emboldened enough to run another Dem against her instead of putting up with her poo poo for another 6 years. And if they lose, then the consolation prize is that they're rid of her anyway.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

1. Don't run anyone and back Sinema so at least a Republican isn't in office. No guarantee she wins, but it's her best shot at staying in office.

It may be her best shot to keep the seat, but I don’t even know that it’s the Democrats’ best shot to keep a Republican out.

She’s a bad candidate and may well have lost in 2024 in Arizona even if she had a (D) by her name and the full backing of the Democrats.

Now she will for sure not have their full backing, and that’s true even if no candidate carries a (D) on the ballot.

So why try to make Sinema work? Cut your losses and run a real candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Gallego has been pretty much getting primed and ready for a primary against her, all this does now is let him breathe a little easier (and pocket more money for a general fight) because it's doubtful he'll face any real challenges in the Dem primary now. He has a fighting chance at winning the general, Sinema after this stunt, does not.

She's gone one way or another come Jan 3, 2025.