Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's common advice to take psychedelic mushrooms with grapefruit juice to enhance their potency.

Paper Tiger posted:

Yeah, it's probably why Hunter S. Thompson liked grapefruit so much. His standard breakfast included two grapefruits, and in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas he was eating it constantly.

yup

wow that was a snipe

so I took LSD and couldn't find a grapefruit so I went to the 7-11 and got some orange juice

no idea if that helped, i just figured citrus!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Offler posted:

That guy is extra weird since his entire personality is a persona he tried out one day that took over his life, so everything he says on stage these days is probably filtered through what he imagines his current fans wants to hear. Not that that in any way excuses singing about wanting to sleep with teenagers, of course.

This is what he looked and sounded like before he found that sleevless shirts and a redneck accent would lead to millions of dollars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdQtXqeXPuo

Andrew Dice Clay did the same thing. It was a character that took off and he became huge because of it.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

AFewBricksShy posted:

Andrew Dice Clay did the same thing. It was a character that took off and he became huge because of it.

Then he turned into Dice, which is AMAZING. That’s some Mother Night poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yup

wow that was a snipe

so I took LSD and couldn't find a grapefruit so I went to the 7-11 and got some orange juice

Doesn't do anything for LSD, just tastes good and gives you electrolytes you're probably sweating out. Any citrus works for shrooms though, the common advice is to brew the tea with some lemon juice - just helps extract it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

yup

wow that was a snipe

Not all citrus would work, grapefruit and its ancestors (pomelo, bitter oranges) will have similar effects.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

GoutPatrol posted:

Not all citrus would work, grapefruit and its ancestors (pomelo, bitter oranges) will have similar effects.

Yeah I was pretty sure it wasn't going to help and honestly the acid had kicked in pretty hard already. I'd been dosing liquid drop by drop and too many drops. Just crossing the street and going in to the fluorescent lit convenience store was disturbing.

The next morning everyone decided to have McDonald's breakfast and I had been making GBS threads myself horribly on the toilet for like an hour. Then the wallpaper started moving around like that episode of That 70's Show where Eric is stoned at the dinner table and Red is going off about responsibility.

Wallpaper should not move like that.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Really? How SHOULD wallpaper move? :v:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

BioEnchanted posted:

The Yellow Wallpaper posted:

There is a recurrent spot where the.
pattern lolls like a broken neck and two
bulbous eyes stare at you upside down.
I get positively angry with the impertinence
of it and the everlastingness. Up
and down and sideways they crawl, and
those absurd, unblinking eyes are every
where. There is one place where two
breaths didn't match, and the eyes go all
up and down the line, one a little higher
than the other.

Well, not like that, either.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

BioEnchanted posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIA39PflmcI

Well for example when you see Jerry's Bears in the carpet that at least is relatable but the wallpaper at McDonald's is really quite ugly to begin with. Like maybe more like 1408 or something, idk.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Media that didn't age well: those harm (arm) reduction and eyeballing posts in the drugs subforum.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That Italian Guy posted:

Media that didn't age well: those harm (arm) reduction and eyeballing posts in the drugs subforum.

How can you say that? I don't think those posters aged much at all.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

That Italian Guy posted:

They aged wonderfully. I laugh just as hard now at goons being stupid as I did then

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Before I realized I was schizophrenic I would often see things in the wallpaper and the floor, I thought they were just optical illusions but nobody else noticed that the walls were breathing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Kwyndig posted:

Before I realized I was schizophrenic I would often see things in the wallpaper and the floor, I thought they were just optical illusions but nobody else noticed that the walls were breathing.

I have schizo-affective disorder which is about one week away from a DSM-IV diagnosis of schizophrenia.

I was in a philosophy class and had been doing some stuff and some thangs the whole night before and though my shirt was on fire because I kept seeing smoke rising from my pocket.

And sometimes people's clothing with complex patterns tend to scroll or something.

But I got better, sort of. Lots of meds.

So, media that did not age well is the thread topic so I'll reiterate I liked Homeland (still haven't finished it) but I don't think the message of going off your medication to have super anti-terrorism skills is good.

I just feel like that's a really bad message to everyone who has issues with mania. You feel like you can take on the whole world and you have a great idea and focus on it intently but ultimately it does not end well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Isn't mania basically pattern seeking taken completely off the rails at it's core, so you think that you have some great idea but it's an incoherent mess, like in Brooklyn 99 where Jake and Raymond have the mumps together and think they are solving a case but they are just delirious and making no sense?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Essentially. It's one of the main symptoms of a manic or hypomanic episode in bipolar people, a fixation on numbers or objects which appear suddenly significant. "You live in apartment three? I had three eggs for breakfast today... Gas is a dollar ninety three today..."

Source personal, but also my p-doc and I trust her more!

edit: As you say though, in real life it's not like the Jim Carrey movie about the number 23 wherein the fixation is intentional. It's rather pattern-seeking gone awry where you cease being able to choose what you notice is recurring.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Dec 8, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CJacobs posted:

Essentially. It's one of the main symptoms of a manic or hypomanic episode in bipolar people, a fixation on numbers or objects which appear suddenly significant. "You live in apartment three? I had three eggs for breakfast today... Gas is a dollar ninety three today..."

edit: As you say though, in real life it's not like the Jim Carrey movie about the number 23 wherein the fixation is intentional. It's rather pattern-seeking gone awry where you cease being able to choose what you notice is recurring.

Yeah, no this is really correct. For me personally. Doesn't apply to everyone ofc.

Now let's all debate the merits of that number 23 movie.

Does it hold up?

Jim Carrey sometimes doesn't seem to himself.

e: i'm not going to say what the number i fixate on is but it's on my birth certificate and that bothered me muchly before i learned to let go and realize coincidences exist for no reason at all

BaldDwarfOnPCP has a new favorite as of 09:14 on Dec 8, 2022

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I only saw a couple of seasons of Homeland, but I seem to recall there being conversation about how bullshit Carrie ducking her meds was, directly equating it to other tired tropes like the ‘magical r-word’ and ‘autism as a superpower’. Charitably, she is depicted as a complete mess throughout the show, so it’s not like they completely ignored that aspect.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I still can't believe Carrie at one point nearly drowned her toddler in a bathtub and the show just brushed it aside.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That reminds me that nearly all remakes didn't age well, trying to catch the magic of the classic is like catching lightning in a bottle.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Carpenter's The Thing is still a timeless classic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Hell yes, one of the only examples of a remake doing it's own thing and leaving the source material in a cloud of dust.

This is why the smart thing is to remake an uninspired thing, you aren't expected to make the same bland choices.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Kwyndig posted:

I remember someone describing how they could "read messages in the tree branches." Like the cris-crossing weave of branches would spell out words. Everyone thought they were super creative and deep until the messages started telling them to die :/

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

I remember someone describing how they could "read messages in the tree branches." Like the cris-crossing weave of branches would spell out words. Everyone thought they were super creative and deep until the messages started telling them to die :/

Can’t help but think of this meme

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

FishBulbia posted:

Yeah I can say from my own battles with mental health that it's not so much that you hear voices it's more their topics of conversation.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

By popular demand posted:

That reminds me that nearly all remakes didn't age well, trying to catch the magic of the classic is like catching lightning in a bottle.

The remake of Suspiria is fantastic.

Also DUNC.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CJacobs posted:

And now I'm just reminded of 60s Batman's logic for figuring out the Riddler's plots.

Mad Hamish posted:

The remake of Suspiria is fantastic.

Also DUNC.

DUNC isn't really a remake, it's a new adaptation. Which amusingly also has themes of being on your drugs to be smarter.

A lot of treatment of medication ultimately comes down the 'mainstream' being uncomfortable with the idea that there are people who genuinely need it to function, and will continue to need it for the rest of their lives.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Ghost Leviathan posted:

DUNC isn't really a remake, it's a new adaptation.

The same is true of Carpenter's The Thing.

Not saying you didn't know that. Just pointing out a pattern in good "remakes".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of treatment of medication ultimately comes down the 'mainstream' being uncomfortable with the idea that there are people who genuinely need it to function, and will continue to need it for the rest of their lives.

My mom absolutely cannot accept that my poo poo is just permanently hosed and I will never actually be "right"

Almost every time we talk she asks about curing my assorted stuff and it's like... Thats a lovely dream, but no

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

rydiafan posted:

The same is true of Carpenter's The Thing.

Not saying you didn't know that. Just pointing out a pattern in good "remakes".

Technically true of suspiria as well though it’s only very loosely based on Thomas De Quincy’s Suspiria de Profundis

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Bogart's Maltese Falcon is a remake and it's by far the better one

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

AceOfFlames posted:

Carpenter's The Thing is still a timeless classic and I will fight anyone who says otherwise.

By popular demand posted:

This is why the smart thing is to remake an uninspired thing, you aren't expected to make the same bland choices.
Ah but if you speak Norse the whole twist is ruined because the guy at the beginning yells "It's not a dog, it's an uninspired thing!"

Sorry about that:v:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Well I laughed.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

For a moment I thought we were talking about the prequel The Thing and not specifically John Carpenter's. Now there's an interesting movie, it tries to be more faithful to Who Goes There? but is also trying to fill a story need that didn't exist. Honestly the best that can be said was the credits scene threading into the intro of the Carpenter film was really good

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doing a rewatch of The Venture Bros and oof, early seasons sure do like to call things/people "retard" and "gay"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

muscles like this! posted:

Doing a rewatch of The Venture Bros and oof, early seasons sure do like to call things/people "retard" and "gay"

That was a thing we said all the time like when we were kids. Then I went through a twenty year period where I didn't really hear it. Now when I hear it, it's usually coming from grown rear end men and I can't help but find it extremely funny. I feel like I should be offended but I'm just perplexed. It's akin to an adult telling another adult "I know you are but what am I?" with all seriousness.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah, and the Dr. Girlfriend stuff is pretty rough for a bit. They do get a lot better about it after a couple-few seasons.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m betting there’s a lot of early Adult Swim that’s going to age poorly (if it were even worth watching in the first place :v: ).

Probably centered around early Aqua Teen and Robot Chicken, but I wouldn’t count out any of their shows. Early Family Guy, Futurama, Aqua Teen, RC, and others that I’ve probably forgotten.

Sealab 2021’s theme song brings me back to a very specific time of my life, and I can never be mad at that show (despite how bad it got after one of the VAs died).

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

Ah but if you speak Norse the whole twist is ruined because the guy at the beginning yells "It's not a dog, it's an uninspired thing!"

Sorry about that:v:

det er ikkje ei bikkje, det er en slags remake!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

I’m betting there’s a lot of early Adult Swim that’s going to age poorly (if it were even worth watching in the first place :v: ).
Comedy is the first to age and it usually ages poorly, satire/parody most of all. A lot of Mel Brooks' gags regarding gender and sexuality have really aged poorly for example.

That said, for Media That Didn't Age Well, I really love that The Joker (a movie with the "you can't make edgy comedy anymore because everyone is so PC these days" from the Hangover series guy, with the titular character literally saying "you decide what is funny and what's not" before metaphorically shooting his critics) has lost his Oscar to Jojo Rabbit.

So yeah...you can still "make Mel Brooks movies today", it's just that what this means is different today for a society that has moved 40years forward from back then.

Edit: there's a nice Lindsay Ellis video about this, but I can't link it cause it's Patreon walled. Also Lindsay Ellis is back in case you missed it, but she's not doing public videos anymore for now

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Dec 9, 2022