Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Idk man predatory to me is lootbox poo poo and game pass poo poo, Fortnight and Overwatch and Diablo Immortal and the like. Comparing to DRG for what it's worth is always going to leave you disappointed because those guys are great and seem like some of the most level headed devs in the industry, DRG is like barely monetized at all.

VT 2 had no "end game" at all upon release and people played the poo poo out of it. Tbh I like that. More games should aspire to be things you just play after awhile. I find always grinding towards a goal to be a bit tedious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Add anime gacha to Darktide imo

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Vargs posted:

Add anime gacha to Darktide imo

unironically give me waifus

e: also if I could have alternate skins to buy for the god damned Zealot penance equipment I've unlocked that would be great.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 9, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the "complete" missions weekly thing should count difficulty as a multiplier. If you do a difficulty 5 mission that counts as 5 missions.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
As someone who has embraced gaming dystopia, I can't even buy Aquilas because clicking on one of the dollar amount buttons locks my game behind a loading icon that never resolves :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
they should let us fight and kill a whole squad of space marines just to make insufferable space marine fanboys mad

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
What'll make-or-break the monetization for me is how they'll price actual new content.

New classes will probably be priced, especially if they play significantly different from the current roster, but if maps and encounters are locked behind cash I'll be cheesed

Orv
May 4, 2011

Diephoon posted:

As someone who has embraced gaming dystopia, I can't even buy Aquilas because clicking on one of the dollar amount buttons locks my game behind a loading icon that never resolves :v:

Do you have your Steam overlay off?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Orv posted:

Do you have your Steam overlay off?

I do! I remember someone suggesting to turn that off to improve performance and I didn't make the connection, thanks! Now to wait and see if the next spendie shop rotation has anything appealing. I noticed the shop timer is gone, I wonder why they removed it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

IronicDongz posted:

they should let us fight and kill a whole squad of space marines just to make insufferable space marine fanboys mad

On April Fools every poxwalker gets replaced with a character model from the Adeptus Custodes.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Diephoon posted:

What are you even planning to buy out of curiosity

S.J.
May 19, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

this is the only acceptable reason for this and i agree

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
lol is there any point whatsoever to the background choices you make when creating a character? the classes and their abilities are so lame compared to VT2

the game actually controls and plays great but so many things are worse than VT2 its wild

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I've never bought a microtransaction in my life. And I have like 2k hours in DOTA.

This game's completely fine to me.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Captain Beans posted:

lol is there any point whatsoever to the background choices you make when creating a character? the classes and their abilities are so lame compared to VT2

the game actually controls and plays great but so many things are worse than VT2 its wild

Some eye colors appear to be locked to specific home worlds and it flavors the dialogue between classes to some extent. Haven't noticed anything besides those, I don't think there's any gameplay difference.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

wait i've changed my mind about including space marines in darktide

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Plasma guns and the projected meltas are pretty much there for killing marines too. The idea that space marines are unkillable gods is lore dudes getting too high on their own supply

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Some eye colors appear to be locked to specific home worlds and it flavors the dialogue between classes to some extent. Haven't noticed anything besides those, I don't think there's any gameplay difference.

Choosing Cadia gives you access to the purple eye colors for any of the classes and I believe one of the vet voice options is specific to Cadia.

So, nothing matters except if you're from Cadia or not.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Did somebody mention Cadia in here?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mendrian posted:

Idk man predatory to me is lootbox poo poo and game pass poo poo, Fortnight and Overwatch and Diablo Immortal and the like. Comparing to DRG for what it's worth is always going to leave you disappointed because those guys are great and seem like some of the most level headed devs in the industry, DRG is like barely monetized at all.

VT 2 had no "end game" at all upon release and people played the poo poo out of it. Tbh I like that. More games should aspire to be things you just play after awhile. I find always grinding towards a goal to be a bit tedious.
VT2 had a lot more varied content on release. 15 classes, and levels with a lot more different themes than what Darktide has so far, it's no wonder people played it more.

Personally, I'd also wager that the lootbox system incentivized people to play more than the current store system. Building up your gear level was the "endgame" of the time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
predatory isn't what they sell

it is how they sell
and part of that is their second step currency and time limited offers

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

VT2 had a lot more varied content on release. 15 classes, and levels with a lot more different themes than what Darktide has so far, it's no wonder people played it more.

Personally, I'd also wager that the lootbox system incentivized people to play more than the current store system. Building up your gear level was the "endgame" of the time.

I mean "building up your gear level" was just opening boxes until the number went up, and grinding the gear into dust to roll more loot. In that way, "play for x amount of time and roll for loot" is exactly the same.

I agree on a lot of the points, VT had more varied levels (and the level goals felt more varied), and I agree the shop feels bad and that's its not really a good call to release the game with crafting unfinished.

VT2 was also a trashfire for like a year and it was only the game's core gameplay and personality that kept people playing it. There was almost a full year of radio silence from Fatshark too which did not earn a lot of goodwill from the community. The fact it's as good as it is now is really a miracle.

A lot of my expectations for DT is built around how they respond to the game's problems because compared to VT2 this game is way more stable (I know lol) but content-dry , so it's kind of the opposite problem. If we're still having this conversation in 4 months I'll probably shift my opinion slightly.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Nitrousoxide posted:

I've never bought a microtransaction in my life. And I have like 2k hours in DOTA.

This game's completely fine to me.

I purchased 14000 Aquila and bought a bunch of cosmetics.

:fivecbux: :fivecbux: :fivecbux:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Feels appropriate to drop this here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWChMr17Le8

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I love this autogun because it knocks whole groups of maulers and ragers on their arse and then kills them while they struggle to get up

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mendrian posted:

I mean "building up your gear level" was just opening boxes until the number went up, and grinding the gear into dust to roll more loot. In that way, "play for x amount of time and roll for loot" is exactly the same.

I agree on a lot of the points, VT had more varied levels (and the level goals felt more varied), and I agree the shop feels bad and that's its not really a good call to release the game with crafting unfinished.

VT2 was also a trashfire for like a year and it was only the game's core gameplay and personality that kept people playing it. There was almost a full year of radio silence from Fatshark too which did not earn a lot of goodwill from the community. The fact it's as good as it is now is really a miracle.

A lot of my expectations for DT is built around how they respond to the game's problems because compared to VT2 this game is way more stable (I know lol) but content-dry , so it's kind of the opposite problem. If we're still having this conversation in 4 months I'll probably shift my opinion slightly.
Hah, yeah VT2 was broken beyond belief when it first came out. Hell, I think some person on the fatshark forums or reddit did a test and discovered that half of the talents did literally nothing a few weeks in.
And still, it was a ton of fun to just play over and over, I would absolutely not say it was a trashfire, and that feels more like people trying to deflect the criticism of DT by retroactively making GBS threads on VT2.
The cast and the presentation was just top notch, so playing a level didn't feel quite as much as ~work~ as the levels in DT do. And if you grew tired of a certain playstyle, there were a ton more to try out.

And that aside, you'd really think Fatshark would improve on what they've done before, not take steps backwards. It always feels bad when a new product feels worse than an old one.

Edit: I'll also add I think this game has had more pure technical problems with crashes and server issues/disconnects than VT2. Despite VT2 having a lot of broken mechanics, I don't think it ever stopped me from playing.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 9, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Enjoy posted:

I love this autogun because it knocks whole groups of maulers and ragers on their arse and then kills them while they struggle to get up

That gun having powerful stagger for an automatic rifle makes it, IMO. If it doesn't kill, it'll knockdown and that's good enough most of the time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Enjoy posted:

I have a 454 Graia and Columnus that I've upgraded, but I've been looking to make pretty much exactly this to round out the set and the shop hasn't given me even a bad Agripinaa Braced Autogun.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I think they underestimated how hard it would be to start nearly from scratch. VT2 has VT1 to build on but 40k is very different. That explains why the game was so delayed while still launching with way less than VT2 did.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Third World Reagan posted:

predatory isn't what they sell

it is how they sell
and part of that is their second step currency and time limited offers

They removed the timers from the store, though.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Sorry if this has been noted before, but I have noticed quite frequently that attack clicks simply don't register, maybe due to a lag spike; this is something that never happened in Vermintide (at most the attack gets delayed), but in Darktide it seems that attacks simply don't happen occasionally, and it feels much worse.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Archonex posted:

If it helps, the cash shop looks almost exactly like an updated layout and format of the one in Age of Conan, which belongs to Tencent as well since they acquired Funcom and AoC suddenly changed over to a battlepass and cash shop instead of putting out DLC regularly like they had been doing before the cash shop came along. So yeah. It's probably a case of the usual lovely launch from Fatshark coupled with Tencent's monetization schemes. So the state of the game is probably because they wanted the christmas rush after they had spent so long hyping it up.

lmao are you loving kidding me

are you seriously saying that a bunch of randomly arranged rectangles is enough to make you suspect the sinister hand of tencent behind everything

you need to spend less on time on reddit, it is rotting your brain

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
overwatch 2 cash shop also has rectangles :tinfoil:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

And Ruffles has ridges!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

lmao are you loving kidding me

are you seriously saying that a bunch of randomly arranged rectangles is enough to make you suspect the sinister hand of tencent behind everything

you need to spend less on time on reddit, it is rotting your brain

No, I think he's saying that both games are owned by tencent and seem to have somewhat aesthetically similar layouts to their cash shops.

Settle down, Beavis.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

man voidstrike staff is fun

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i was worried that spamming it would stop being effective in heresy but it's still good. just eats up hoards.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Mendrian posted:

Did somebody mention Cadia in here?

the game broke before the guard did

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Kamikaze Raider posted:

No, I think he's saying that both games are owned by tencent and seem to have somewhat aesthetically similar layouts to their cash shops.

Settle down, Beavis.

he literally hotlinked it from reddit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

afaik people are literally just making poo poo up, I have a hard time imagining tencent gives a poo poo. they just buy up already successful properties and eat a percentage of their revenue.