Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

Anyone had success running Fuser on Steam Deck? I don't know too much about Proton, tried a couple of versions but still getting crashes in the campaign mode (oddly, not on the Freestyle mode?!?). Wondering if there's anything I'm missing or if I'm stuck waiting for some Proton update down the line (if ever!).

Game rules though what the heck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

A Big... Dog posted:

Anyone had success running Fuser on Steam Deck? I don't know too much about Proton, tried a couple of versions but still getting crashes in the campaign mode (oddly, not on the Freestyle mode?!?). Wondering if there's anything I'm missing or if I'm stuck waiting for some Proton update down the line (if ever!).

Game rules though what the heck

Mixed results here, but someone's got it working:

https://www.protondb.com/app/1331440

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Dwarf Fortress plays really well on the deck. I'm probably going to spend my upcoming flight starting a new fortress from scratch. It's got camera movement on the left stick, mouse on the right trackpad and quick hotkeys on the right stick. So when you move the right stick you've got some tabs to choose from. It's really good and customizable. Super chill game to play on the deck as you can do stuff, let it run and do some more stuff.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Is that a default layout or is it a community job?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

Is that a default layout or is it a community job?

I think it was a default community layout. It already had it configured when I booted it up for the 1st time.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I believe that's the biggest community controller job called Easy Dwarf Fortress. Which works great! But I did some replacements:

1. Changed the Left Trigger to Middle Mouse, instead of Right Mouse. This makes it possible to scroll around the map easier by grippin' and rippin'
2. Changed the B Button to Right-Click instead of Esc. Esc is already on the Start button, and right-click is a better "Back" button than Esc.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Oh, those are some good changes. Real good idea for the MMB. It should make precise scrolling a little easier too. The left stick scroll seems to jump just a little too far for my tastes, but I think it's probably configurable.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

so the discord changes addresses? what is it now?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Mescal posted:

so the discord changes addresses? what is it now?

tater_salad posted:

https://discord.gg/A6c22672

It expires every so often to keep bots from coming on in to tell us to click here for hawt boobies.

For (meager) content: Mother fucker it is wild how well Dwarf Fortress works on the Deck

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Squiggle posted:

For (meager) content: Mother fucker it is wild how well Dwarf Fortress works on the Deck

It's like 98% like it was designed to work on the Deck, even though it wasn't. You can also set the frame limiter to 15 fps with no noticeable difference. It also gets like 5 hours on one charge.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Squiggle posted:

This and Rimworld work incredibly well on the deck and it’s magic.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

you guys are making me want to buy dwarf fortress

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cowman posted:

you guys are making me want to buy dwarf fortress

It’s real good.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've never Dwarf Forted, someone give me the skinny.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fantasy rimworld but ascii and with more lorefully procgen flavor. There is no end goal, just make a big, wealthy dwarf fortress and survive forever. You likely won't be able to survive, but that's okay.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Have you played, Gnomoria, Rimworld, or Oxygen not Included? Same game. Run a colony of dwarves, the world is simulated to an absurd detail that ensures that either something you or your dwarves do will have some consequence that fucks up the entire colony and gets everyone killed.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

jokes posted:

Fantasy rimworld but ascii and with more lorefully procgen flavor. There is no end goal, just make a big, wealthy dwarf fortress and survive forever. You likely won't be able to survive, but that's okay.

Actually not ascii anymore! It actually has nice nifty graphics and a pretty decent UI to boot!

Seriously some of the poo poo the game generates is pretty wild.

Attack dogs getting into a fight with a hostile beast and losing all their teeth and the teeth are actually on the ground lol

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's like SimCity but 3D mechanically, and simulates each workers cats bowel movement.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’d also like to point out that the bay12 brothers have been working on the game for over like 16 years now and they have flat out said they plan to keep working on it for the next 30 years (or till we all die or whatever).

Dwarf Fortress is going to get a lot of support till the end of time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's like a being a Dungeon Master for a group of players who are only interested in rolling dice for every action they make.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.pcgamer.com/how-cats-get-drunk-in-dwarf-fortress-and-why-its-creators-havent-figured-out-time-travel-yet/

If you want an idea of how many systems there are, you can read about the patch that caused cats to suddenly start vomiting themselves to death. TLDR: There wasn't any bug introduced, everything was working as it should. It's just that Dwarves became slightly more impatient and started throwing their mugs of alcohol on the floor when switching to a new task.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's the game Peter Molyneaux was claiming he was making each time

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh yeah there are also ghosts that can haunt you

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Vic posted:

:hmmyes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah but what about in the game???

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vic posted:

Yeah it's this.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's like having kids at a very specific age when they're autonomous enough to be unsupervised and not old enough to be responsible.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

poo poo guess I'm going to be getting DF at Christmas time then.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Dramicus posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/how-cats-get-drunk-in-dwarf-fortress-and-why-its-creators-havent-figured-out-time-travel-yet/

If you want an idea of how many systems there are, you can read about the patch that caused cats to suddenly start vomiting themselves to death. TLDR: There wasn't any bug introduced, everything was working as it should. It's just that Dwarves became slightly more impatient and started throwing their mugs of alcohol on the floor when switching to a new task.

Alright sounds good

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It's a sandbox strategy game in which you give orders but don't control actions. The simulation of what's going on is incredibly complex and funny because it tries to operate in human terms.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

poo poo guess I'm going to be getting DF at Christmas time then.

if I don't get it as a gift then this is happening

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vic posted:

It's like having kids at a very specific age when they're autonomous enough to be unsupervised and not old enough to be responsible.

Speaking of, is the game where you’re a baby trying to kill yourself while the other player plays the dad and keeps trying to baby proof the house on the Deck?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Someone earlier in the thread posted about how a dead dwarfs beard was killing their other dwarfs. This game is nuts.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Someone earlier in the thread posted about how a dead dwarfs beard was killing their other dwarfs. This game is nuts.

That's a separate thing. In normal situations, Dwarves that die and aren't buried in a tomb come back as ghosts and haunt you until you build a tombstone and engrave their name and fate on it.

In sinister areas, things that die don't tend to stay dead. Those things that don't stay dead, don't necessarily need to be attached to anything. So if something gets dismembered, you might have each separate part of it's body rising as a zombie, Evil Dead-style. This means that in game-mechanic terms, you probably shouldn't used bladed weapons in those areas, and instead rely on blunt weapons like hammers. So you hammer things to death and then make sure to cart the body into a magma pit or something.

Edit: Or, you do the most metal thing and train your Dwarves unarmed combat and you have them wrestle everything to death. Though, they sometimes get over-enthusiastic and rip heads off while wrestling. (including while they are training to wrestle)

Dramicus fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 9, 2022

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Speaking of, is the game where you’re a baby trying to kill yourself while the other player plays the dad and keeps trying to baby proof the house on the Deck?

god I haven't played that game in a while

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

every time I read a comment about something that happened in dwarf fortress I just assume the op made it up out of whole cloth and everyone just goes along with it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, like the margarita machine thread.

but no, dwarf fortress reality is stranger than fiction

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: wrong thread

Shastahanshah fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 9, 2022

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

My steam deck shipped this afternoon! Hopefully it doesn't get caught up in customs too long and maybe I'll get stupidly lucky, the truck/plane will get a tailwind and FedEx deliveres on Saturdays in Canada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
As another brand new steam deck owner over I too am surprised on how easy everything has been to set up so far.

What is the best way to handle games that have multiple discs, mainly PS1? Each disc shows up as a copy of the game on my list and ideally I'd only like to see just one.