Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

James cameron’s Fantastic four

3D glasses for Mr.fantastic stretching through the screen and bits where sue goes invisible

Big led screens on the theatre walls for flame effects

And uhhhm wtf would the Thing have? A really good surround sound for noisy poo poo?

Excuse me, Annihilus does the noisy shits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Push El Burrito posted:

Smell-o-vision that’s it!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

old bean factory posted:

Put it on chips :yum:

This is a wildly simplistic argument that doesn't consider so many different factors!!!!!

You could also put it on potato cakes and many other fried foods. :yum:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Phanatic posted:

Tony Stark invents a virtually limitless and almost free power source and instead of using it to, say, desalinate enough water to irrigate the Sahara he keeps it for himself as a weapon. Oh, eventually he uses it to power his corporate HQ, but Obadiah Stane is *not* the villain in the first movie.

It’s funny because IIRC it was a plot point that this was the reason Stark was working with SHIELD during the first Avengers and then I guess he just never tries again after?

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Push El Burrito posted:

So is he a little tiny guy or is that a huge toilet? His feet aren't touching the ground.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

SimonChris posted:

Having watched the new Dune movie, I would like to talk about something both movies gently caress up completely: The scene where Shadout Mapes gives the crysknife to Jessica (available as a deleted scene in the Lynch movie).

Maybe I am giving the viewer too little credit, but did any of you non-book readers have any idea what the point was here? I realize that they don't want a lot of inner monologue, but they could have had characters discussing the scene later or something.

I watched the movie first (the new one) then went and read the novel. I don't remember exactly what I was thinking during that scene in the movie, but I did get the sense that Jessica got lucky with how Shadout Mapes reacted. It wasn't clear to me, though, whether it was pure blind luck or that she somehow knew the deal with the crysknife and was bluffing. I think I remember being confused why she waved away the guard or whatever, since it seemed like Shadout was freaking out, then when it was revealed that she was actually revering Jessica. It was like: oh, okay, I guess Jessica was just being a real cool cat who was all like "huh let's see where this goes!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Five.

And two of them were awesome.

They diverged from the comics a bit by switching up powers a bit but mainly because they changed the name of the Fantastic Four to "The Incredibles".

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Splicer posted:

The Sahara is about the size of the US and contains multiple subtle ecosystems please do not turn chunks of it into farms because films only show the dunes. Just because people aren't using a thing doesn't mean it's not doing something.

Also desalination doesn't magically get rid of the salt you need to put it somewhere and most places don't want any/any more salt.

It's weird that you keep insisting doing it utterly thoughtlessly is what this fake person who has endless water is going to do.

Like, I promise nobody is actually about to turn the Sahara desert into endless farmland. Having a ton of extra fresh water is a net good though.

I don't even remember what the initial post was about, but 'we could help Saharan farmers' seems like an okay random thought for what we could do with endless fresh water, even if nobody is busting out a detailed land management plan that conforms to your desired specifications.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

SimonChris posted:

Having watched the new Dune movie, I would like to talk about something both movies gently caress up completely: The scene where Shadout Mapes gives the crysknife to Jessica (available as a deleted scene in the Lynch movie).

(Book spoilers)
The point of this scene is that the crysknife is sacred, and any outsider who sees one must be cleansed or die. Jessica's life is at stake unless she can prove that she is truly the prophesied mother of the Lisan al Gaib, who is expected to know the deal with the crysknife. Unfortunately, Jessica has no idea what the deal is with crysknives and was planning to bluff her way through by mumbling some platitudes about how a knife is a "maker of death". However, when she gets to the word "maker", Mapes freaks out because a crysknife is actually the tooth of a sandworm, which the Fremen calls The Maker since its lifecycle produces the spice.

Through effective use of tone and body language, Jessica manages to convince Mapes that she knows the secrets of the Fremen, without actually saying anything more than stuff like "HaHa, did you think I didn't know about The Maker? Of course I know about The Maker!!!" (paraphrased).

This is one my favorites scenes from the book since it shows that the Bene Gesserit aren't telepaths but more like extremely skilled cold readers. Therefore, I am irrationally annoyed that none of the movies get it right.

The movie:
Mapes: Here is a crysknife.
Jessica: It is a maker.
Mapes: AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Maybe I am giving the viewer too little credit, but did any of you non-book readers have any idea what the point was here? I realize that they don't want a lot of inner monologue, but they could have had characters discussing the scene later or something.

The new movie also has a guard watching the whole thing, so I guess that guy is dead now. The scene is supposed to happen during a private moment. At least they actually had Jessica use the word "maker" this time around. The Lynch movie couldn't even get that right.

I felt exactly the same way in the theater. It completely pulled me out of the movie, I had no idea what anyone who hadn't read the book was supposed to think was happening.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Captain Monkey posted:

It's weird that you keep insisting doing it utterly thoughtlessly is what this fake person who has endless water is going to do.

Like, I promise nobody is actually about to turn the Sahara desert into endless farmland. Having a ton of extra fresh water is a net good though.

I don't even remember what the initial post was about, but 'we could help Saharan farmers' seems like an okay random thought for what we could do with endless fresh water, even if nobody is busting out a detailed land management plan that conforms to your desired specifications.

Irrigating the sahara is one of those old super science plans envisioned by people that thought we'd all be flying helicopters to work and it's vaguely annoying to see it still get referenced in the current day

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Splicer posted:

Becayse they refuse to just make the fantastic four. They keep trying to be clever about it and in doing so loving up the formula and also doctor doom.

Yeah, like a lot of adaptations, and video games also come to mind. They regard the source material with a mix of wilful ignorance and utter contempt, with zero interest in what people actually like about it, and get high on their own farts with whatever of their own dumbass ideas they think are so much better.

Also reminds me how a lot of directors don't see CGI/animated characters as 'real' and thus make a ton of rookie mistakes with them because they're not paying attention, and seem baffled that the audience doesn't agree. You had critics complaining the Sonic movies didn't have enough random wacky human comic relief.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The kinda poo poo thing about Tony is that for an industrialist, he's remarkably short sighted. The one time he decides to try and fix the whole world, we got Ultron. At that point I'd much rather have him try to fix the small problems cause trying to police the world turned into a big mess.

He doesn't share his tech much though but it's not because he's an rear end in a top hat, is because it's so crazy finicky that pretty much only he knows how to use it and not die. There's a comic series where the army? starts using stark tech they copied but didn't test much and it ends up killing soldiers cause "whoops turned out after 5 mins it becomes lethal and melts your brain" sort of effects happen. Tony got pissed and the basic argument was anything he does in public is considered open for other people to copy or something to that effect. It's been a few years.

He did build the original war machine and I assume the upgraded versions, help design the engines on the heli carriers, and he did give Peter his first armored suit and the training suit in the original movie. He made Hawkeye's arrows, black widow's various bits and pieces, and helped design cap's costume to be more armored than the ww2 version. Other than pepper/Rhodes I don't think he's ever let anyone use one of his suits.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
I honestly think that one of the reasons most Avengers films fall flat for me is that they are constantly fighting to fix their own mess.

The first Avengers was a pretty exciting event movie, and worked on the basis that it would introduce a threat so big it needed all of the heroes working together to stop it. That's some pretty good dramatic escalation. It's not a good film, but it works as a capstone.

So now the Avengers are going to fight even bigger threats, right?

Nope! Ultron is a gently caress up that happens because some Avengers tried to automate themselves out of a job, and the third Avengers is a slugfest about the question if they should even exist in the first place.

To put it differently, as soon as the Avengers become a thing their entire reason for existing seems to be to fix the problems they themselves created.

You could say it's an apt metaphor for the military industrial complex, but on a dramatic level it is really hard for me to give a drat. It comes across as cynical and arrogant. It's the Avengers, fighting something caused by the Avengers, with dramatic consequences for the Avengers.

It's why the dramatic arc of Marvel feels like a soap opera half of the time. Instead of escalating the threat, it's navelgazing and biding its time until Thanos shows up. THAT'S the escalation that was needed, a threat so big it once again really required all heroes to team up. It shouldn't take a decade to finally get there.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
This is going to sound stupid but it’s the thread for it. I found it difficult to care enough about the scope of what Thanos wanted to do until he actually did it, and then it was reversed anyway. “He’s going to kill half of all life” So? Haven’t at least half of the villains in the other MCU movies attempted the same thing? Didn’t Ego impregnate hundreds of planets with his dead baby spores?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tony Stark could probably have gotten the world carbon neutral in a decade or so with his magic power machine.

Not that climate change is as pressing in the MCU as it is IRL seeing as the MCU has at least a few dozen planet Bs

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Tony Stark could probably have gotten the world carbon neutral in a decade or so with his magic power machine.

Not that climate change is as pressing in the MCU as it is IRL seeing as the MCU has at least a few dozen planet Bs
Also we know that the Blip has caused a massive improvement in the ecosystem, at least for its duration.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is going to sound stupid but it’s the thread for it. I found it difficult to care enough about the scope of what Thanos wanted to do until he actually did it, and then it was reversed anyway. “He’s going to kill half of all life” So? Haven’t at least half of the villains in the other MCU movies attempted the same thing? Didn’t Ego impregnate hundreds of planets with his dead baby spores?

It's an issue I have with a lot of comic book movies. They keep trying to make the stakes meaningful by raising them super high, but in the end it usually ends up way too abstract and obviously contrived for me to really care about. I just don't have any personal investment a group as abstract as "half of comic book humanity", doubly so since it was clearly obvious the whole thing would be reversed to get back to the holy status quo in short order. I just didn't have any personal investment in either Thanos or the people he killed.

By contrast, you better believe I was very invested in seeing the guy who killed John Wick's dog get what he had coming.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 168: The girls don't need to eat diet ramen, they're already at a perfectly healthy weight.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Comic book stuff exists in an imaginary world where the greatest threats to humanity are superpowered villains.

In that world it's logical and moral to take a potential public good like a cheap power generator and instead turn it into a gun for Captain Awesome to use on Evillo, because you're in a world where humanity's never going to get wiped out by climate change, but Evillo might do it.

If you made it into a power generator Evillo would just show up and turn the thing into a bomb anyway so you weren't ever going to win with this line of thought

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Gort posted:

Comic book stuff exists in an imaginary world where the greatest threats to humanity are superpowered villains.

In that world it's logical and moral to take a potential public good like a cheap power generator and instead turn it into a gun for Captain Awesome to use on Evillo, because you're in a world where humanity's never going to get wiped out by climate change, but Evillo might do it.

If you made it into a power generator Evillo would just show up and turn the thing into a bomb anyway so you weren't ever going to win with this line of thought

Counterpoint: if we compansate for our lack of wondertech by just hiring people in costumes to punch Jeff Bezos in the face, I'm pretty sure our chances at survival will increase.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Gort posted:

In Invincible, there's a villain that is basically about destroying stuff to fix things like this, I think environmental damage is a big thing he's trying to fix, but involves, like, glassing large areas to make a solar mirror, that kind of thing (it's been a while so I don't remember details). At one point Invincible agrees with him and starts to help him, working to stop him causing casualities but otherwise proceeding forward with his plans. Invincible's handlers are not pleased.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Didn’t Ego impregnate hundreds of planets with his dead baby spores?

Yea, he was going to become the universe. He was being quiet about it though. Thanos was wrecking planets and being fairly public and loud about his whole plan. I think there's a what if where it shows Ego actually winning and taking over the universe.

Main diff was Ego was stealthy about his plans and told no one, even Mantis I think, and Thanos was announcing the poo poo while everyone was paying attention to him. If the guardians hadn't won, thanos wouldn't have had much of a universe left too snap on. 🫰

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

not irritating but its funny to me that the dude from the 13th floor has been the villain two different medieval movies directed by ridley scott

probably its a good gig if you can get it

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Every single time I see anything about House of the Dragon, it is so laughably hilarious how the same poo poo was in Game of Thrones. Black haired king has three blonde kids with his blonde wife, but all his bastards have black hair. Okay, cheating wife. In HOTD, I remember people being pissed that there were black people in the show, and they were actual dragonriders and poo poo. But the same bastard poo poo is even more obvious when a white princess with white hair "has kids" with a black prince with white hair, and all three of their kids are white with brown hair. Just like the princess' sworn guard, what are the odds.

I know to take a pitcher of salt with poo poo online, but it is hilarious how the same people calling Cercei and Jamie disgusting, cheer the incest in HOTD, and the whole bastard thing is forgivable when it's not Cercei doing it.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cowslips Warren posted:

Every single time I see anything about House of the Dragon, it is so laughably hilarious how the same poo poo was in Game of Thrones. Black haired king has three blonde kids with his blonde wife, but all his bastards have black hair. Okay, cheating wife. In HOTD, I remember people being pissed that there were black people in the show, and they were actual dragonriders and poo poo. But the same bastard poo poo is even more obvious when a white princess with white hair "has kids" with a black prince with white hair, and all three of their kids are white with brown hair. Just like the princess' sworn guard, what are the odds.

I know to take a pitcher of salt with poo poo online, but it is hilarious how the same people calling Cercei and Jamie disgusting, cheer the incest in HOTD, and the whole bastard thing is forgivable when it's not Cercei doing it.

Yeah well blondie's husband was gay and they had an agreement and that seemed okay at first.

I mean, those kinds of things happen.

Not like sleeping with your uncle or anything.

But then things started going south because it was super obvious and the kids were being treated shamefully for the sins of the parents.

Just a real downward spiral.

And for safety sake I'm gonna spoiler all this.

Still, looking forward to next season's dragon wars. It was never my favorite part of GoT but bring it on mofos.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In Friends, Ross’s’ relationship where he as a 30 something professor dates a student who is at most 20 years old is, and I don’t use this term lightly, unseemly

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Cowslips Warren posted:

Every single time I see anything about House of the Dragon, it is so laughably hilarious how the same poo poo was in Game of Thrones.

well, anyone who would want to watch a game of thrones spinoff deserves a pre or sequel. they liked the first one after all (tbf s1 was actually good)

insert other franchises as you please

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oldpainless posted:

In Friends, Ross’s’ relationship where he as a 30 something professor dates a student who is at most 20 years old is, and I don’t use this term lightly, unseemly

Wasn't the point of friends that they were all horrible, annoying, and unfunny people?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

oldpainless posted:

Better or worse than the episode where he tries to gently caress his cousin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dr_rat posted:

Wasn't the point of friends that they were all horrible, annoying, and unfunny people?

i believe the mission statement was less funny seinfeld

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

oldpainless posted:

Better or worse than when Monica had a relationship with a high school boy?

The Gellars were a disgrace.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

oldpainless posted:

In Friends, Ross is, and I don’t use this term lightly, unseemly

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

dr_rat posted:

No, believe it or not you were actually supposed to like them.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I feel like the last few years were "Haha, it's funny because Monica is the abusive one in the relationship"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I feel like the last few years were "Haha, it's funny because Monica is the abusive one in the relationship"

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

somepartsareme posted:

Better or worse than the episode where he tries to gently caress his cousin

Haha, yeah Game of Thrones can get pretty gross with that sort of- wait hang on.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ross is a piece of poo poo but hes also the most likely goon of the bunch so he's our piece of s hit

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

ross is a piece of poo poo but hes also the most likely goon of the bunch so he's our piece of s hit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipz3A2PrQl8

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Chandler is a computer toucher who is not as funny as he thinks he is so he is definitely the goon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
There have been more than one occasion I've made a joke and someone told me Chandler already made that same joke :|