Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

bicievino posted:

Pics are probably necessary to provide much constructive feedback.
Stems don't wear out, so personally I just bought like 6 sizes from the used shoppe so I can check fit instead of guessing.

I’m guessing you mean of me on the bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

cheese eats mouse posted:

I don't think the trainers are helping, you look to me as though you are sitting quite high and back. By all means try a shorter stem but as bicievino says probably put a second hand one on untill you are happy with your fit.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

One hour ride today on the new bike and I think I need a shorter stem.

Flip your stem first maybe, making it a positive angle with less drop and less reach?

Otherwise a new (or used) stem is really cheap and under 10 minutes to fit if you’re vaguely competent mechanically ( and don’t have cables routed through your stem and steerer.). Buy a torque wrench.

I would not expect an LBS to be of much use, unless they have a cheap stem on hand.

Saddle looks high and too far back, try dropping it like 4-5cm. Is your saddle level?

Those trainers would not be my choice for cycling. Even on flat pedals you want stiff, flat soled shoes. But it’s quite hard to perfect your bike fit when you might be putting your feet in a slightly different place on the pedals every time you get on, and with varying sole thickness.

A photo of you on the hoods would be helpful, and maybe of the bike on it’s own.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Crumps Brother posted:

The experimental plans have some fun weekends scheduled in them.

Unless the weather is total poo poo I just wing a z2 ride outside instead.

I love how TR categorizes a long z2 ride, one of the cornerstones of training, as part of their experimental plans

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crumps Brother posted:

The experimental plans have some fun weekends scheduled in them.

Unless the weather is total poo poo I just wing a z2 ride outside instead.

My wife would murder me during hour 3 I think.

That’s why I do long rides on my day off.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

wooger posted:

Saddle looks high and too far back, try dropping it like 4-5cm. Is your saddle level?

Those trainers would not be my choice for cycling. Even on flat pedals you want stiff, flat soled shoes. But it’s quite hard to perfect your bike fit when you might be putting your feet in a slightly different place on the pedals every time you get on, and with varying sole thickness.

A photo of you on the hoods would be helpful, and maybe of the bike on it’s own.

I don't understand how you can determine anything accurately from that picture to make a recommendation like that, who knows the situation it was taken in. It also looks like there's been some deformation of the image from the shoe on the left foot.

Think for anyone to properly help you would need something like this picture (can be closer, maybe just balancing up against a wall), or better yet a video from the same perspective

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Nice bike! I love the colors on All-Citys.
I'll give two different aspects of advice:

1) you should do whatever you need to in order to ride the bike in the way you want to. If that means riding it in sneakers or whatever the hell, that's fine and good.
Not everything needs to be optimized to the umpteenth degree. The suggestion of flipping the stem to get more rise out of your current one is good, before you even spend money on used stems of various shorter lengths. If you need pointers on how to flip the stem and adjust headset pre-load, I bet folks can point you to relevant youtubes.

2) from a "how people tend to be comfortable for longer distances on road bikes" perspective, your position is already fairly upright. One thing that many folks find as a blocker to feeling comfortable in a typical road position is core strength and neck flexibility. A basic plank a day and neck range of motion stretch, for me, made more difference than any stem length changes.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Those are some thick-rear end soled new balance sneakers. It doesn't hurt to know that when you wear vans vs those NBs, for example, your bike fit is changing.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Get fit by someone with a PT background and maybe not your LBS.

It's hard to tell from the oblique angle, but for your purposes it does seem like too much saddle-bar drop and too much saddle setback. The saddle height doesn't look wrong for the current shoe choice, but if you wear padded cycling shorts and switch to less plaftormy shoes, then your leg extension will change.

As you initially self-assessed, defaulting to the tops with nearly straight elbows isn’t ideal. If you aren't comfortable moving your hands forward 4 inches onto the hoods, then your fit needs to be shorter. This is partially addressed by moving your saddle forward to what I believe is its correct fore-aft position. Adding steerer spacers and going with a slightly shorter stem will also help.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 9, 2022

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Riding bikes in jeans is the worst. That and the inconsistent foot position with flats is super annoying to me.

I do both of those things for my 4 mile commute, because I'm too lazy to change, but it's not great.

Anyway, I'd personally look into both of those things before dialing in your fit. Just my two cents.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

dema posted:

Riding bikes in jeans is the worst.

Yeah, it alone could limit your being able to bend downa few degrees.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I mean this is mostly a commuter bike so I’m never going to go full spandex from my house to my pottery studio, which being wfh is basically the main place I go. Most I plan on doing is longer rides and touring weekend bike trips with my partner towing our dog and all those won’t involve full kits. I understand the forum for this is probably more technical than I need. I really want comfort in basic normie wool underwear gear.

Also I’m not wearing jeans, it’s a tracksmith wind resistant sweatpant pant for running.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 9, 2022

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Best floor pump for mounting tubeless? I see a lot of waffling back and forth between the Lezyne Overdrive and JoeBlow Booster.

Anyone actually use either and have inputs? This is mostly for the gravel bike since I’ve found the Airshot stand-alone isn’t as reliable for my 650b wide tires for some reason. Fine for road but for whatever reason it’s painful to unreliable for getting my gravel tires on. :smith:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Pancake air compressor

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

gamera009 posted:

Best floor pump for mounting tubeless? I see a lot of waffling back and forth between the Lezyne Overdrive and JoeBlow Booster.

Anyone actually use either and have inputs?
I have an airshot that I snagged second hand super cheap. Even at full price I'd choose it over the reservoir pumps. It is a much simpler design that is less likely to fail when you need it.

There are also diy options:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 9, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
also worth considering a ryobi or milwaukee cordless inflator if you have any tools that already use the same battery.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

gamera009 posted:

Anyone actually use either and have inputs? This is mostly for the gravel bike since I’ve found the Airshot stand-alone isn’t as reliable for my 650b wide tires for some reason. Fine for road but for whatever reason it’s painful to unreliable for getting my gravel tires on. :smith:

I’ve got a JoeBlow Booster, and I’d recommend it. I haven’t tried that particular Lezyne, but it appears to have a screw on chuck similar to the ones that are known for removing valve cores if you’re not careful. I’ve never actually had that particular problem with the chuck on my mini Lezyne, but the press on chuck from the JoeBlow is just easier.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Pancake air compressor

This is the only way to go if you have stubborn seating tires.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Pancake air compressor

This, cheap ones cost less than a nice floor pump.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

e.pilot posted:

This, cheap ones cost less than a nice floor pump.
I will subject myself to all sorts of strain just to not be anywhere near a running compressor.

I just got one with a bigger tank so I can turn it on, close the door and go on a walk until it is done running.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Dec 9, 2022

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

I’ve got a JoeBlow Booster, and I’d recommend it. I haven’t tried that particular Lezyne, but it appears to have a screw on chuck similar to the ones that are known for removing valve cores if you’re not careful. I’ve never actually had that particular problem with the chuck on my mini Lezyne, but the press on chuck from the JoeBlow is just easier.

I have had that happen with my lezyne mini, but half a twist with an a-tool to tighten the valve core a little more fixed it easily enough

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CopperHound posted:

I will subject myself to all sorts of strain just to not be anywhere near a running compressor.

I just got one with a bigger tank so I can turn it on, close the door and go on a walk until it is done running.

I've got a super quiet one, you can hold a normal conversation when it's running.

e:
this one, been using it for 4 years now
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYHYHEA

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

CopperHound posted:

I know the feeling, I built a crazy heavy duty wooden closet to cut down on the noise.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye
So uh, I'm an introvert and have been riding solo this last year since getting back into biking. Found a local bike club and was thinking about dropping in on a C ride tomorrow. Aside from not being an idiot and drafting anyone (obv) is there any thing I should keep in mind before joining my first group ride in 10+ years? I used to do a lot of group rides back in college/grad school but that's literally decades ago and I'm a little nervous.

Thank you.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I'd think you would draft in a C ride? Perhaps just not as close as in faster/more advanced rides?

Keep your head up. Don't stare at the back wheel in front of you. Be smooth. Keep your pace even. Def avoid jamming on your brakes, it's usually better to try and taking an evasive maneuver in an emergancy. Keep pedaling as you stand up so you don't surge back.

I imagine a decent club C ride will go over any rules before they roll out.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

dema posted:

I'd think you would draft in a C ride? Perhaps just not as close as in faster/more advanced rides?

Keep your head up. Don't stare at the back wheel in front of you. Be smooth. Keep your pace even. Def avoid jamming on your brakes, it's usually better to try and taking an evasive maneuver in an emergancy. Keep pedaling as you stand up so you don't surge back.

I imagine a decent club C ride will go over any rules before they roll out.

Okay thanks that's good to know what to expect, thanks!

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

adnam posted:

So uh, I'm an introvert and have been riding solo this last year since getting back into biking. Found a local bike club and was thinking about dropping in on a C ride tomorrow. Aside from not being an idiot and drafting anyone (obv) is there any thing I should keep in mind before joining my first group ride in 10+ years? I used to do a lot of group rides back in college/grad school but that's literally decades ago and I'm a little nervous.

Thank you.

Pretty sure C rides are slower paced with about 1 full bike length between riders. There is no pacelining.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

gamera009 posted:

I find that my AirShot needs to be overpressurized to about 170psi instead of 160psi to reliably seat stubborn tires.

Also using soapy water and gripping the tire at the valve so the bead sits firmly against the rim does help quite a lot. Not all tubeless presta valves are created equal...some have bung designs with a narrow aperture that will impede flow rate. Also if your valve has seen a lot of use, it might just have dried sealant in there reducing air flow. Personally I recommend Fillmore valves because they completely lack a valve core and they simply don't get gummed up at all. Even if they do, they can be completely taken apart and cleaned.

This round-up claims the Lezyne has the best flow-rate: https://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-tubeless-inflator-review/

However also keep in mind the Lezyne doesn’t have a bypass switch so every time you use that dumb pump to top off your tires, you have to pressurize the chamber too.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 10, 2022

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

osker posted:

Pretty sure C rides are slower paced with about 1 full bike length between riders. There is no pacelining.

I don't think there's any universally agreed upon rules for what to expect on a C ride.

I'd suggest either messaging them in advance or talking through expectations with folks when you show up. Ask questions!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gamera009 posted:

Best floor pump for mounting tubeless?

Technically it rests on the floor

e:

Pancake air compressor

already answered, gently caress

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

That Ridgid compressor also owns because it's easily carried around and you can use it for car tires or for anything you could comprehensibly need an air compressor for. It's a literal wonder tool.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

TobinHatesYou posted:

However also keep in mind the Lezyne doesn’t have a bypass switch so every time you use that dumb pump to top off your tires, you have to pressurize the chamber too.
Lol

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

If I’m buying a compressor, it better be 10gal so I can blow out my irrigation lines.

So no?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

gamera009 posted:

If I’m buying a compressor, it better be 10gal so I can blow out my irrigation lines.

So no?

I blow out my lines with a 1gal compressor, it’s not ideal but it works

You don’t have to get all the water out, just most of it. Been doing it for the better part of a decade with way undersized compressors with no issue.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Harbor Freight makes a pretty decent knockoff of the California Air Tools quiet compressors. I don’t own one because I still have the same pancake compressor from 2002 from when I was building skateparks.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

bicievino posted:

I don't think there's any universally agreed upon rules for what to expect on a C ride.

I'd suggest either messaging them in advance or talking through expectations with folks when you show up. Ask questions!

It's a funny troll, but one of the local clubs has an A, B and C ride. A is rip ur face off, B is more civil, but C isn't social pace... the C is for climbing.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Weird question: I tried using trainerroad on my phone but I had this weird issue where the power would go up to the goal, then drop, Over and over. I looked and my laptop was still running tr. when I quit the program on my laptop my phone was fine and tr behaved normally in erg mode. Sounds like both were trying to connect I guess? Even though I wasn’t running a workout on my laptop?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Where do you guys find and/or discuss upcoming event rides?

I've got a bunch that I want to train for over the next 3 years, which seems extreme but I don't think it's viable to train from essentially 0 to some of these events (Salida76, an 80% gravel 7k climb starting at 7k elevation in a 76mi ride) in a single year. Hell, my biggest climb when I was "in shape" (years ago) was only 4k feet.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Facebook, mostly. As horrible a platform it is for boomer/chud idiocy it's still the best tool for organizing events like club rides and the like.

For more chill events like bike jams and alley cats it's usually on insta. Mostly as reels that expires because it makes it slightly less likely to be harshed by narcs.

I installed a plugin called social fixer that turns Facebook back into a place to keep in touch with friends and local events without any of the clickbait crap and other stuff meant to keep you scrolling forever.

It doesn't work on phone so the very odd time I use FB on it I go straight to the groups tab and ignore everything else. Still, I'm hoping something a replacement comes along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

ilkhan posted:

Where do you guys find and/or discuss upcoming event rides?

I've got a bunch that I want to train for over the next 3 years, which seems extreme but I don't think it's viable to train from essentially 0 to some of these events (Salida76, an 80% gravel 7k climb starting at 7k elevation in a 76mi ride) in a single year. Hell, my biggest climb when I was "in shape" (years ago) was only 4k feet.

Not sure exactly what you mean - do you mean finding the actual events, or just having a place to talk about how to train for them, prepare, etc?

If the former - I tend to rely on word of mouth. I realize that's not super helpful, but if you don't have people telling you about bike stuff 24/7 already you could go to a bike shop and ask about things there.

If the latter - if you've got a route map for an event I bet folks here would be happy to post at you about what you can do to train for it.