Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunzie
Aug 9, 2008

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Coppermind also has (TLM spoiler) Wax down as a full mistborn now so the wiki editors at least think that's confirmed canon.

That’s because of https://wob.coppermind.net/events/509/#e15957 most likely (Brando did a spoiler stream recently).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Brutor Fartknocker posted:

Coppermind also has (TLM spoiler) Wax down as a full mistborn now so the wiki editors at least think that's confirmed canon.

I thought that was explicitly stated in the text of The Lost Metal, though? It was certainly the impression I left the book with.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Grundulum posted:

I thought that was explicitly stated in the text of The Lost Metal, though? It was certainly the impression I left the book with.
Never explicitly stated, but it was very much the impression you were supposed to come away with.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

Tunzie posted:

That’s because of https://wob.coppermind.net/events/509/#e15957 most likely (Brando did a spoiler stream recently).

Nice, good to have the confirmation. I was pretty sure, but it's only strongly implied. Reading through there are so many wob's that I would never find out since they're such obscure questions.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
It probably only really matters if Wax has more kids. If he doesn’t it’s pretty meaningless.

Edit: I take that back I guess it does matter as a source of making mistborn.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
It seems like the actual limiting factor is going to be that the supply of Trellium is limited and nobody's making more, yeah?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

i am not sure if trellium gets depleted in the process though

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
General cosmere mechanics, mistborn Era 1: Do we know if shard-tuned Investiture like stormlight or God metals will return to its source, if it's used in space or on another planet or something? I wonder if shipping all the stormlight off roshar would eventually make for an energy crisis as the Investiture just kinda hung around bouncing aimlessly through an asteroid belt or something. Because it is finite, this we know. I can imagine a scenario where the characters don't find out about that effect for generations, leading to a war for increasingly scarce resources between Scadrial and Roshar.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CK07 posted:

General cosmere mechanics, mistborn Era 1: Do we know if shard-tuned Investiture like stormlight or God metals will return to its source, if it's used in space or on another planet or something? I wonder if shipping all the stormlight off roshar would eventually make for an energy crisis as the Investiture just kinda hung around bouncing aimlessly through an asteroid belt or something. Because it is finite, this we know. I can imagine a scenario where the characters don't find out about that effect for generations, leading to a war for increasingly scarce resources between Scadrial and Roshar.

There's no location in the Spiritual Realm, which is the source the investiture returns to, so that's all irrelevant. Also, investiture is not finite.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ojjeorago posted:

There's no location in the Spiritual Realm, which is the source the investiture returns to, so that's all irrelevant. Also, investiture is not finite.

That doesn't seem to be what he says at all? "Investiture can not be created or destroyed. It follows it's own version of the laws of Thermodynamics." seems quite explicit that it is finite, just that it won't diminish over time.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
But still, the crucial part is that there's not distance in the spiritual realm, where investiture comes from. That's why you can burn metals as an allomancer on Scadrial, and it still works. Crucially, the corpses of Devotion and Dominion being stuck in the cognitive realm, where distance does exist, is the reason why AonDor is so location dependent. Investiture likely returns to the spiritual realm upon being used, which means there's no diminishing over time for using a form of investiture far away from the Shard it originates from.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Torrannor posted:

But still, the crucial part is that there's not distance in the spiritual realm, where investiture comes from. That's why you can burn metals as an allomancer on Scadrial, and it still works. Crucially, the corpses of Devotion and Dominion being stuck in the cognitive realm, where distance does exist, is the reason why AonDor is so location dependent. Investiture likely returns to the spiritual realm upon being used, which means there's no diminishing over time for using a form of investiture far away from the Shard it originates from.

This was the info I was looking for, thanks. Cancel the energy war theory.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Torrannor posted:

I thought the reason the AonDor was so location-dependent was because of the effect of Dominion itself

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Torrannor posted:

That does bring up though There is technically a finite amount of metal in the universe. It could run out, though not on a reasonable time scale.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

seaborgium posted:

That does bring up though There is technically a finite amount of metal in the universe. It could run out, though not on a reasonable time scale.

No? Burning metals for allomancy isn't erasing the matter from existence. They're being consumed as fuel but that doesn't mean they won't reform in some capacity over time. Even if it's eons.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Evil Fluffy posted:

No? Burning metals for allomancy isn't erasing the matter from existence. They're being consumed as fuel but that doesn't mean they won't reform in some capacity over time. Even if it's eons.

I guess I thought of them as separate from the Investiture, they were just a trigger/catalyst not that they contained the energy. I'm probably wrong though, in which case they would reform. Once space travel starts though, they could reform on Scadrial which would lead to it turning into a super metal rich world, unless the metal and investiture were separate and would reform in the relevant locatino.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
In regards to metals being used up, Brandon wavered a bit over the years, but for now has settled on "the metals get used up". They act as the keys to Preservation's investiture, and as of right now just get burned and don't reform anywhere else.

But as was noted, base metals are not going to run out any time soon.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CK07 posted:

Its effectively infinite. (Oathbringer) Dalinar is the equivalent of the Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal about Superman https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2011-07-13

Torrannor posted:

*This is an effect of Dominion more directly

(The Lost Metal)Its why Moonlight could use Selish Dor after transforming, but only after being given a local map/coordinates. Dominion causes the power to be tied to how people perceive physical divisions and location.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 9, 2022

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Torrannor posted:

In regards to metals being used up, Brandon wavered a bit over the years, but for now has settled on "the metals get used up". They act as the keys to Preservation's investiture, and as of right now just get burned and don't reform anywhere else.

But as was noted, base metals are not going to run out any time soon.

If, in a millenia or two, Rosharan Surgebinders aren't capable of creating whatever metals they want out of whatever's laying around, they have nobody to blame but themselves. They have multiple ways to pull that off, given appropriate scientific knowledge.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

CapnAndy posted:

If, in a millenia or two, Rosharan Surgebinders aren't capable of creating whatever metals they want out of whatever's laying around, they have nobody to blame but themselves. They have multiple ways to pull that off, given appropriate scientific knowledge.

Yes, but even turning dirt/rock/air into metals that can then be burned for allomancy uses up finite resources. Only that they are "finite" in timescales far beyond human experience. That said, a Roshar/Scadrial alliance would certainly be an amazing thing. The Rosharans have all this investiture through highstorms, and the Scadrians can store raw investiture in nicrosil metalminds. And of course, the artifabrians are experimenting with the effects of various metals on their fabrials, and Scadrians could catapult their understanding of these effects forward by a lot.

Too bad they're being built up as rivals. Not that I mind that development from a storytelling point of view.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Finished TLM, it was fun. White Sand is the only Cosmere thing left for me to read until the secret projects start shipping

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Torrannor posted:

Realmatic theory: Crucially, the corpses of Devotion and Dominion being stuck in the cognitive realm, where distance does exist, is the reason why AonDor is so location dependent. Investiture likely returns to the spiritual realm upon being used

'Scuse me, someone called for a plumber?

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

Finished TLM, it was fun. White Sand is the only Cosmere thing left for me to read until the secret projects start shipping

If I might make a recommendation, go and find the text-only novel version that's floating around out there, and read the first like ten or fifteen chapters of that - THEN go to the graphic novel. Everything will make a shitton more sense that way, because the comics elide quite a lot of important stuff.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I have decided I really want to see star-spanning Radiants now.

An Elsecaller, landing on an asteroid: Hello!
Asteroid: I am an asteroid.
Elsecaller: Yes. This is lerasium. Would you like to be lerasium?
Asteroid: I am an asteroid. I soar through the heavens.
Elsecaller: That's nice.
Asteroid: I am doom, and change, and portents. I am an asteroid.
Elsecaller: Look, buddy, I got three more stops to make today, so let's cut to the end. Become lerasium, or I give you to my Stoneward friend here, and we use you for fuel in the fusion drive.
*Stoneward waves*
Asteroid: ...I will be lerasium.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CapnAndy posted:

I have decided I really want to see star-spanning Radiants now.

An Elsecaller, landing on an asteroid: Hello!
Asteroid: I am an asteroid.
Elsecaller: Yes. This is lerasium. Would you like to be lerasium?
Asteroid: I am an asteroid. I soar through the heavens.
Elsecaller: That's nice.
Asteroid: I am doom, and change, and portents. I am an asteroid.
Elsecaller: Look, buddy, I got three more stops to make today, so let's cut to the end. Become lerasium, or I give you to my Stoneward friend here, and we use you for fuel in the fusion drive.
*Stoneward waves*
Asteroid: ...I will be lerasium.

This is a nice evolution of the "I am a stick" interlude.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Admiral Ray posted:

Honestly Kreia wouldn't make sense if she wasn't a spiteful, cynical misanthrope. Her entire issue is that the Force drives everything, overriding anyone's individuality and will, regardless of their actions. So long as the force exists it's impossible to tell if something someone did was their actual choice, or just the Force manipulating the universe. It's horseshit and would make anyone a cynic.

Reading this post reminded me instantly of

"Someone else moves us, lawman."

Brandon does love his video games. Maybe he played KOTOR II? Not saying this idea is exclusively in one video game, but just made me curious.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Reading this post reminded me instantly of

"Someone else moves us, lawman."

Brandon does love his video games. Maybe he played KOTOR II? Not saying this idea is exclusively in one video game, but just made me curious.

https://youtu.be/kFZNpT_INmA?t=2m50s

He lists New Vegas, but explicitly calls out KOTOR II in that section.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Fifth book is titled Knights of Wind and Truth

TWoK WoR O RoW KoWT

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

101 posted:

Fifth book is titled Knights of Wind and Truth

TWoK WoR O RoW KoWT

If those acronyms actually end up having relevance within the story, I'm going to throw something. Really cheeky Brandon.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Really makes me wonder what he would've done with The Book of Endless Pages had he kept that title

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Lucas Archer posted:

If those acronyms actually end up having relevance within the story, I'm going to throw something. Really cheeky Brandon.

It's just a perfect Vorin Ketek. I don't think it matters as an acronym

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lucas Archer posted:

it’s ascii goatse

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Lucas Archer posted:

Other than just being a fun thing, I think the real point is just to drive home that this series is ultimately about Dalinar.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Finally finished TLM!

I started reading when it came out, but I just was not feeling it at all and haven't been in a Reading mood lately, so I swapped to audio books and basically only listened to it while doing 400-mile road trips for Thanksgiving and now coming home again for Christmas.

I was really afraid at first that Brandon didn't learn ANYTHING from Navani's physics stuff in ROW being way too down into the weeds, but fortunately this book didn't dwell too much on what was happening in Wax's lab. Just enough to explain what's happening and nothing more.

I forget what happened but a few hours before the end something was said and I was like, "Ah, gently caress, RIP Wayne :(" - by far my favorite character in Era 2. Steris grew on me during my re-read but yea the whole Lawman / Cop Protagonist thing has just never appealed to me ever and probably never will. Smell ya later, Wax.

The ending was great, feel like lots of expository things throughout the whole book that I'll value on my re-read but I couldn't take it in while reading/listening to it. Glad this thread already went over how the Gold & Red invasion was resolved because after Wax "defused" the bomb I was like but wait what about...?

Something I don't think I've seen anyone discuss ITT: Any hypothesis about who drained the Bands? I don't think the book answered that. That really caught me by surprise! Oh and when Steris (Marasi? I already forgot) found all the film projection stuff and was like "They're gonna convince everyone the world ended?" and then WRONG there's a Fallout-like bomb shelter underground full of people being gaslit big time was a great moment too.

I think Bands was probably my favorite book of Era 2, but yea I but Era 2 as a whole way down at the bottom of my ranking list. Glad it's done but not especially expecting to enjoy Era 3 much more? I just want more Stormlight :(

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm a bit confused about (TLM/cosmere spoilers) when and how Kelsier got a spike through his eye? Also, how is he able to have a physical body, and is the physical body he's possessing via hemalurgy Spook's?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Did you Read Secret History? All your questions get answered in Secret History.

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Torrannor posted:

Did you Read Secret History? All your questions get answered in Secret History.

Some of your questions get answered but it gives a shape to things

mewse
May 2, 2006

I don't see it posted, there's a new State of the Sanderson from yesterday

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sab669 posted:

I think Bands was probably my favorite book of Era 2, but yea I but Era 2 as a whole way down at the bottom of my ranking list. Glad it's done but not especially expecting to enjoy Era 3 much more? I just want more Stormlight :(

I'm looking forward to seeing if Sanderson can pull off the cold war vibe he was talking about as the setting for era 3. I'm a huge devotee of cold war era spy novels so I will probably be disappointed but I do want to see his take on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

Something I don't think I've seen anyone discuss ITT: Any hypothesis about who drained the Bands?
[/spoiler]

The most likely suspect is the person who last touched them, said they were drained, and then immediately left with the Malwish ambassador. she's a leecher or some poo poo.