Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

citybeatnik posted:

What on earth do they mean by squirrel guns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Taerkar posted:

Close Combat was my first exposure to such

Oh yeah A Bridge Too Far was amazing. Educational to put six Stuarts against one King Tiger, as surely one will get a lucky shot on the rear armor, right?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh yeah A Bridge Too Far was amazing. Educational to put six Stuarts against one King Tiger, as surely one will get a lucky shot on the rear armor, right?

I put an anti tank gun inside a shed and the german tanks kept merrily strolling right up to it and dying.

Other than that I don't remember much about the game

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Imagine being told to carry around a whole miniature artillery piece to shoot the equivalent of M203 grenades in a world where autocannons already existed

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
is it supposed to be like that https://twitter.com/kolezev/status/1601078745917685762

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

:ukraine:: da.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

what the hell is or was that

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

what the hell is or was that

A giant fire in the Mega shopping center in Khimki near Moscow

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Oh

I hoped it was a military base

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

shame on an IGA posted:

Imagine being told to carry around a whole miniature artillery piece to shoot the equivalent of M203 grenades in a world where autocannons already existed

37mm anti tank guns put significantly more energy behind their rounds.

https://preview.redd.it/qi12yvy0chq31.jpg?auto=webp&s=60cbe9a481a31dd1ade1d48ceeb2208ee8e1140f

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The US 37mm had rather good anti-armor capabilities for its size, especially compared to most of its contemporaries. Unfortunately more often than not it'll be flinging HE at soft targets and in that regard bigger barrels are almost always better.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Taerkar posted:

The US 37mm had rather good anti-armor capabilities for its size, especially compared to most of its contemporaries. Unfortunately more often than not it'll be flinging HE at soft targets and in that regard bigger barrels are almost always better.

I’m like 70% sure I remember reading about and M8 getting a kill on a panther by sneaking up behind it during the Bulge.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Murgos posted:

I’m like 70% sure I remember reading about and M8 getting a kill on a panther by sneaking up behind it during the Bulge.

quote:

While the northern and eastern flanks had been heavily engaged, the northeastern sector (Troop A, 87th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron; Company A, 38th Armored Infantry Battalion; Troop B, 87th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron) had been rather quiet. The only excitement there had been when an M8 armored car from Troop B destroyed a Tiger tank. The armored car had been in a concealed position near the boundary of Troop B, 87th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron and Company A, 38th Armored Infantry Battalion, when the Tiger approached the lines at right angles to move along a trail in front of the main line of resistance. As the tank passed the armored car, the latter slipped out of position and started up the trail behind the Tiger, accelerating in an attempt to close. At the same moment the German tank commander saw the M8, and started traversing his gun to bear on it. It was a race between the Americans, who were attempting to close so that their 37-mm. gun would be effective on the Tiger's thin rear armor, and the Germans, who were desperately striving to bring their 88 to bear. Rapidly the M8 closed to 25 yards, and quickly pumped in three rounds; the lumbering Tiger stopped and shuddered; there was a muffled explosion, followed by flames which billowed out of the turret and engine ports, after which the armored car returned to its position."

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 9, 2022

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

why would the US military us a 50 cal machine gun instead of giving everyone a desert eagle they're both 50 cal

PookBear fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 9, 2022

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

PookBear posted:

why would the US military us a 50 cal machine gun instead of giving everyone a desert eagle

:hmmyes:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Desert Eagles are made by the Israelis, it's up to them to donate deagles.

Would you like a pile of M9s?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Would you like a pile of M9s?

The one I carried in Afghanistan needed to be aimed about a foot to the left of the target at the qualification range. Whenever I went outside the wire, I left it in the arms room and just rolled with my M4 because it was more useful as a club than a weapon.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I never had an M9. Battalion decided it was a better idea to hand everyone 6 feet tall a crew serve weapon to tote around instead.

Somehow a HQ company had dozens of M249s.

E: joke's on me, I'm a tick over 5'10" now.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

psydude posted:

The one I carried in Afghanistan needed to be aimed about a foot to the left of the target at the qualification range. Whenever I went outside the wire, I left it in the arms room and just rolled with my M4 because it was more useful as a club than a weapon.

I've seen people literally using them as hammers, so this checks out.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

not caring here posted:

I've seen people literally using them as hammers, so this checks out.

To be fair, anything is a hammer if you're brave/dumb enough.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

To be fair, anything is a hammer if you're brave/dumb enough.

Including 0.50cal rounds!

:negative:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

Including 0.50cal rounds!

:negative:

Saw a picture of a soldiers hand after he tried using one as a hammer, nope, nope, nope, nope. :yikes:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

Saw a picture of a soldiers hand after he tried using one as a hammer, nope, nope, nope, nope. :yikes:

Yea, I was out for a few years already when that safety bulletin came out. It’s still top of the pile when I think of “things that shouldn’t have had to be explained to anyone, but here we find ourselves”.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I never had an M9. Battalion decided it was a better idea to hand everyone 6 feet tall a crew serve weapon to tote around instead.

Somehow a HQ company had dozens of M249s.

E: joke's on me, I'm a tick over 5'10" now.

Yeah but you never got overrun, did you?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Arrath posted:

They've got us surrounded, the poor bastards!

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Arrath posted:

Did anyone get overrun in Iraq? Besides the Iraqis?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Did anyone get overrun in Iraq? Besides the Iraqis?

You'd have to go back to DS, in Khafji. And I'm not sure the M9 would be your go-to against T-55s.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can't imagine a 249 would be much of an improvement on a t55 either.

It did do a number on my lower lumbar, though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Madurai posted:

You'd have to go back to DS, in Khafji. And I'm not sure the M9 would be your go-to against T-55s.

is a tank not of the earth

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

is a tank not of the earth

No, it is of the lake.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

No, it is of the lake.

Serous “lab retriever in a puddle and refusing to get out” energy there.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

psydude posted:

They make for a great sign that says "Please keep a safe distance from our convoy". Mine was very useful and I never even fired it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Watched a Sergeant Major insist that the P320 must be less accurate than the M9 after he struggled to qual...

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bees everywhere posted:

They make for a great sign that says "Please keep a safe distance from our convoy". Mine was very useful and I never even fired it.

I hypothesize film has a huge role in pistols being used explicitly for shooting people, especially in the case of armed forces using them as primarily as executioners tools or in desperate moments.

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

The M9's safety lever is so drat useless, it'd keep switching from safe to fire while sitting in my holster. Hopefully the P320's safety is better.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
drat, my Sig P6 doesn't even have a safety, just 12 pounds of "are you sure?" and a de-cocker.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
M9s, when new, were probably just fine; lots of people love Beretta 92-series handguns. But 35 years of being slammed around arms rooms and field training and deployments weren't great for them.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The M9's safety lever is so drat useless, it'd keep switching from safe to fire while sitting in my holster. Hopefully the P320's safety is better.

Sig is currently being sued for P320s that fire without a trigger pull.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sig is currently being sued for P320s that fire without a trigger pull.

Is it a problem for P365s too?

I generally don't carry one in the pipe anyway, but it'd be good to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Jesus did they outsource those to Taurus