Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Just checked on this Ella Irwin person and I do not think she's qualified at all to deal with legal, trust or safety issues

The classic fake it til you make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
hmm wonder why the previous guy quit just before the twitter files dropped

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose
She sounds perfect to run Ye/Elon 2024 campaign. YE+elon’24. YElon24. YeMusk

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

HAmbONE posted:

Fortunately he can't be president. Nothing in the rules says he can't be Chief Justice Musk tho

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

ymgve posted:

so, I know DMs on twitter arent encrypted or anything, but does the admin control panel literally have a button on the left to access any user's private messages with a single click?

(also what the gently caress is "guano" on the left there)

I have never worked at Twitter and I have never seen that control panel before, but I can make some informed guesses.

First, that button might take you straight to their DMs in plaintext. But it also might not - it may show you metadata about the DMs, it may show only DMs which have been reported as spam or abuse, etc.

Regardless, access will be logged and audited, and any employee who can load the control panel will have agreed (likely in writing) that access is to be used strictly for predefined use cases like anti abuse.

Furthermore, just because the button appears on the page doesn't mean the employee can load whatever it leads to. Remember, these are internal tools - they don't need to be as "pretty" as the user facing page. It may show every button by default, but in reality each employee will only have access to the subset of tools necessary for their specific role.

This absolutely does not mean employee abuse of the tool is impossible! That's not what I am saying at all. What I am saying is there's probably more insider risk controls in place than is readily apparent from the screenshot.

As for the "guano" button, that may simply be the name of a project or tool, or a dumb joke that ended up becoming the tool's common name. Those kind of oddball names are common when a company makes its own tools.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

Fortunately he can't be president.

"In a 6-3 decision of the Supreme Court..."

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There probably were a lot of backend protections in place at least.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That screenshot is going to make a lot of people’s aunts who go on Twitter for the knitting groups and bus times go “oh no” and leave.

Causal non-nerd users don’t think about people they don’t know, and can’t see, being able to access DMs.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There probably were a lot of backend protections in place at least.

Yeah that's a potential problem! Access is hard to audit if the auditors were all laid off.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Meanwhile, Amazon, Uber ads appear on Twitter pages of white nationalists restored by Musk

Washington Post posted:

Ads from dozens of major brands were appearing on white nationalist and extremist accounts

SAN FRANCISCO — Ads for more than three dozen brands including major corporations appeared on the Twitter pages of white nationalist accounts in recent days after Twitter owner Elon Musk restored hordes of banned users to the social media platform.

Promoted tweets from Amazon, Snap, Uber and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, among others, appeared inadvertently on the pages of at least two white nationalists, Andrew Anglin and Patrick Casey, both of whom said their accounts had been banned but were restored recently after Musk took control of Twitter in late October.

In a vast cost-cutting campaign, Musk fired hundreds of Twitter of employees, including entire teams devoted to content moderation of the site, including ensuring ads not appear on content brands would find objectionable.

On Tuesday, roughly 40 brands had ads appear on the white nationalist pages, according to a review conducted by The Post. Those included the Voices of the Civil Rights Movement, a Comcast and NBC-led effort to honor the legacy of racial justice pioneers. Media companies including USA Today and Morning Brew were also among the advertisers whose content appeared on the pages.

USA Today spokesperson Lark-Marie Antón said: “We are reaching out to Twitter immediately as this obviously does not align with our values or mission.”
Has Elon Musk even hinted that he knows what the word "brand safety" was even supposed to mean?

Also, good luck "reaching out" to Twitter after they fired all the business ad account managers, the communications department, and the content moderators.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

lmao that they fell for the anti-piracy tactic of putting watermarks on review and testing builds for games so that any leakers get blacklisted from the industry.

I mean, it's not funny that some right-wing journalists(citation needed) apparently have complete access to countless users' data and I genuinely cannot understand why almost none of my old friends have left Twitter despite knowing that its owner and moderators openly side with the people who falsely call our community pedophiles to justify genociding us. but lmao

edit bc I changed thoughts midway through a sentence

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Dec 9, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

HAmbONE posted:

MelloYello

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

This whole Twitter saga is making me think of all the times I've seen minorities ardently defend unregulated and unmoderated platforms because they are worried about governmental repression. Which is totally fair but drat if our current online hellscape isn't a result of that philosophy - and Elon loving around on Twitter is just increasing the chance that the EU (and eventually US) will implement harsher curbs on free speech. There is literally no self-policing, Twitter, Facebook, Tik-Tok and friends will keep pushing hateful poo poo if it makes them a buck and eventually we'll reach the straw the breaks the camel's back.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Twitter files more like pedo files.

the old PETA blog would like a word with you

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1601147205792198656

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Not sure if this has been posted, paywalled article from the Economist by one of the first engineers to be fired:

quote:

One Tuesday afternoon in early November, I was on a Google Meet with a dozen other engineers. Some of us had worked through the weekend trying to help out a colleague who’d been given an insanely tight deadline to transform Twitter’s verification process: Elon Musk had just announced that he wanted to make the coveted blue tick available to anyone willing to pay for a premium service.

When you’re building any new system, you have to make sure it works consistently for hundreds of millions of users. You have to code solutions for every variable you can imagine – a surge in requests at a particular time of day, a brief loss of connection with the payment-processing company. My colleague, whom I liked a lot, was never going to get it done in time without help, so we all pitched in. I actually quite enjoyed it. I wasn’t really thinking about whether those changes were good for Twitter; I just really liked being part of that community, working together on a deadline. I even slept on a sofa in the office on Saturday night.

The following Tuesday I was on a call talking about a new project, end-to-end encryption on direct messages. About 15 minutes into the conversation my video stopped: I’d been signed out of my work email. I tried to log back in, but a message flashed up saying that my password had just been changed. Then my laptop screen turned grey. I wondered if I’d been hacked – I’d received a text message from corporate security during the meeting saying that they needed to speak to me urgently.

I never found out what they wanted: a few minutes later my boss’s boss called me to tell me I was fired, with immediate effect. As far as I know I was the first Twitter engineer this happened to. Musk has sacked about half the workforce since then. My boss was fired. So was his boss. And his boss’s boss. And their boss.

Software engineers can be quite entitled. These days you can make a six-figure salary in your first job out of university. Even now, with all the layoffs, if you say on LinkedIn that you’re a software engineer open to offers you’ll get ten messages a day from headhunters. Companies try to retain people with perks like free lunch, and people obsess about which ones are best.

The technical screening process for these jobs is quite rigorous. Most employers make you do a coding exercise, which is a bit like a maths exam. Lots of people dread them, but I sometimes do a company’s test even if I have no intention of taking up a job there. I find writing code stimulating. ​​My computer screen looks like something you’d see in a corny movie about hackers: a black background with blinking lines of text running all the way down.

My first engineering job was at Google, where I worked for 14 years. I wanted to work there because the company seemed to value something other than chasing profits. I wasn’t swayed by the snacks, but did appreciate the fact that there were always stacks of M&Ms and Skittles in the micro-kitchens.

Google changed a lot in the years I was there. It collaborated with the Pentagon and US Customs and Border Protection. I like to draw, and I vented some of my frustration by publishing satirical cartoons about the culture at Google, but by 2021 I was ready for a change. Twitter was the only other big tech company that seemed to have some ethical values, so I was pleased to get a job there. I worked mainly on the web interface, trying to speed up the user experience by finding ways to shave off half a second of friction in different places.

At Google the senior leaders got very good at dodging questions. Twitter was smaller and younger, and you could ask the management direct questions at town-hall meetings. I liked the chief executive, Parag Agrawal, who had an engineering background: corporate doublespeak doesn’t come naturally to engineers. Twitter snacks weren’t quite as enticing as Google’s (chocolate-covered almonds rather than M&Ms), but it felt like a more honest place.

The Musk takeover rumours started in March. There was talk of him taking the company private, and laying off three-quarters of staff. The town-hall sessions became awkward. I think of those days as the “at this time” era, because every comment seemed to include these words: “We have no plans to change leadership at this time”; “The company has no mass redundancy plans at this time.”

We became a news story. The chief executive told us to “tune out the noise”, but that was hard when the TV blared out the latest rumours every morning. Details of our internal meetings started to be leaked to journalists, which made the leadership less forthcoming, which in turn made employees leak even more information to journalists because they were so frustrated. We became experts at reading between the lines: we knew the takeover talk was serious when the chief executive began to sprinkle his sentences with the word “fiduciary”.

In June, Hurricane Musk himself appeared at a town hall. He clearly hadn’t prepared for the meeting and didn’t seem to know what he was talking about or care how obvious that was. A trickle of goodbye emails started filtering into our inboxes.

My fellow engineers and I gossiped about what was happening, mostly on Slack (Twitter allowed staff to work remotely as much as we wanted, so we weren’t often in the same place). We had to be careful: the possibility of a legal suit between Musk and Twitter meant that these messages could end up in court, so we relied heavily on emojis. You can design your own emojis on Slack, and someone quickly came up with one for Musk. I produced one with the chief executive’s face that said “fiduciary”. That got used a lot, too.

In late October Musk turned up in the Twitter offices with a sink, telling people: “Let that sink in!” At the time I thought it was quite funny. Here was the richest man in the world, who probably earns in seconds what I make in a month. Yet he’d taken the time and effort to get hold of a sink – or at least to make an assistant get hold of a sink – to carry into the Twitter office, just for the sake of a silly pun.

I think most people at Twitter liked him at first. It’s hard to pay attention to the red flags when your salary depends on ignoring them. No one wanted to be confrontational. Some of the early changes he wanted were good. And we were too busy to think much about strategy, anyway. As soon as Musk actually took over, there were always three things that had to be done by yesterday.

Musk made people nervous. People started to think about what they would do if they were sacked. I was never interested in joining a union before all this happened – I felt like a spoiled brat, given all the perks and stock options we enjoyed. But collective action seems important now. One day I created a tool that made it faster to download things from your work email that you might need if you were looking for a job: performance evaluations and that sort of thing.

I posted the tool on Slack so that my colleagues could also benefit from it if they needed to. One hour and four minutes later I was fired.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Dec 9, 2022

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Isn't the whole point of not allowing explicit threats and statements of violence that even if it's ironic or joking that if it's constantly seen it can bend someone's brain and they actually try?

People were dunking on this post, but this is a serious issue.

I've been browsing these forums for years, and I've developed a severe form of OCD where I obsessively build guillotines, all day long. I've long since filled my garage with them, and now they're stacked around the house. Guillotines under my bed, guillotines in the kitchen cupboards, there's a guillotine in my shower.

I don't know if I'll be able to control myself if I ever run into a billionaire.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I want that "fiduciary!" emoji

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jeffreyw posted:

It’s stuff like this that makes me wonder if a lot of right wing idiots aren’t so much constantly arguing in bad faith but just extremely stupid and consistently angry.

It’s all three mixed with being privileged as gently caress.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

yes!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ShadowHawk posted:

Meanwhile, Amazon, Uber ads appear on Twitter pages of white nationalists restored by Musk

Has Elon Musk even hinted that he knows what the word "brand safety" was even supposed to mean?

Also, good luck "reaching out" to Twitter after they fired all the business ad account managers, the communications department, and the content moderators.

Just as a historical note, I happen to have this image saved in an ancient folder of lols from the 90s/2000s:

This is the sort of thing that keeps companies up at night worried that someone will screenshot it, it'll go viral, and their brand will be a laughingstock forever if not the target of bottomless lawsuits by aggrieved parties.

In Iomega's case it was probably well justified, after all I still have that image 20-some years later. But what I'm wondering is whether this kind of explosivity even rates anymore. Companies are justifiably paranoid about ad placement to the extent that ad platforms have whole brand-safety tools and teams in place like the one I've talked about working on, leaping into action as soon as a news article about a terrorist attack pops up that they want to prevent any ads from appearing on or whatever. But in this day and age are we all so desensitized by the pervasive shittiness of the Internet of 2022 that nobody would even bat an eye anymore?

Maybe all these brands are going to weather the screenshots of white nationalist tweets with their brand logos and slogans plastered all over them just fine and Elon will prove to have been right to not care

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Lot of Henry II energy.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Data Graham posted:

Just as a historical note, I happen to have this image saved in an ancient folder of lols from the 90s/2000s:

This is the sort of thing that keeps companies up at night worried that someone will screenshot it, it'll go viral, and their brand will be a laughingstock forever if not the target of bottomless lawsuits by aggrieved parties.

In Iomega's case it was probably well justified, after all I still have that image 20-some years later. But what I'm wondering is whether this kind of explosivity even rates anymore. Companies are justifiably paranoid about ad placement to the extent that ad platforms have whole brand-safety tools and teams in place like the one I've talked about working on, leaping into action as soon as a news article about a terrorist attack pops up that they want to prevent any ads from appearing on or whatever. But in this day and age are we all so desensitized by the pervasive shittiness of the Internet of 2022 that nobody would even bat an eye anymore?

Maybe all these brands are going to weather the screenshots of white nationalist tweets with their brand logos and slogans plastered all over them just fine and Elon will prove to have been right to not care

Yeah, I’ve been wondering that for a couple of weeks too. When’s the last time you saw outrage over something like ad placement? I guess there have been some campaigns getting advertisers to abandon fox’s shows like tucker, but beyond that?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

rafikki posted:

Yeah, I’ve been wondering that for a couple of weeks too. When’s the last time you saw outrage over something like ad placement? I guess there have been some campaigns getting advertisers to abandon fox’s shows like tucker, but beyond that?

And the more paranoid part of me says things like:

We can consider ourselves lucky that at this present time, Capital sees its bread buttered on the "woke" side, not to put too fine a point on it. Brands going rainbow in June, movie studios doing representation, Nike and Gillette taking stands, all that stuff that makes chuds furious at companies' stubborn refusal to recognize that going woke means going broke. We can usually rest in relative comfort knowing that no company will willingly align itself with exclusionary or fascist rhetoric in today's marketplace of ideas.

But that's not a historical guarantee. There's a tipping point somewhere where companies might realize that there aren't existential consequences for letting their brands be associated with Nazis. If that happens, if they let their ads run free on Twitter and suffer no blowback ... it'll be like that bit in The Boys where Homelander loses his poo poo and lasers the protester into a flaming stump, and for a second thinks he's just sealed his own death warrant — but then the crowd erupts in cheers and support and he realizes he should have just been all-in on out-loud fascism all along.

We might roll our eyes at brand safety, but as goes brand safety, so goes a free society

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Philonius posted:

People were dunking on this post, but this is a serious issue.

I've been browsing these forums for years, and I've developed a severe form of OCD where I obsessively build guillotines, all day long. I've long since filled my garage with them, and now they're stacked around the house. Guillotines under my bed, guillotines in the kitchen cupboards, there's a guillotine in my shower.

I don't know if I'll be able to control myself if I ever run into a billionaire.

You should get a pop-up at a christmas market and sell some of the spares to the community. There must be thousands of people out there with similar urges but no wood/metalworking skill to create the essential tool.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

And the more paranoid part of me says things like:

We can consider ourselves lucky that at this present time, Capital sees its bread buttered on the "woke" side, not to put too fine a point on it. Brands going rainbow in June, movie studios doing representation, Nike and Gillette taking stands, all that stuff that makes chuds furious at companies' stubborn refusal to recognize that going woke means going broke. We can usually rest in relative comfort knowing that no company will willingly align itself with exclusionary or fascist rhetoric in today's marketplace of ideas.

But that's not a historical guarantee. There's a tipping point somewhere where companies might realize that there aren't existential consequences for letting their brands be associated with Nazis. If that happens, if they let their ads run free on Twitter and suffer no blowback ... it'll be like that bit in The Boys where Homelander loses his poo poo and lasers the protester into a flaming stump, and for a second thinks he's just sealed his own death warrant — but then the crowd erupts in cheers and support and he realizes he should have just been all-in on out-loud fascism all along.

We might roll our eyes at brand safety, but as goes brand safety, so goes a free society

true but i think alot of them realize woke stuff or at least representation and poo poo gets them way way more money then pandering to weird chuds, the uber chud poo poo doesnt sell, it didnt even sell in a dem midterm.

The current GOP/chud poo poo is way to explicity hate mongery and the chuds are explicit about attacking any company that doesnt bend 100 of 100 of the time, so corps will just stick to what they are doing mostly and wait for the chuds to fry themselves out and pray the big buessness ghouls take the reigns again.

with twitter it depend. i suspect alot of companies are gonna wait to see how bad it really gets and wait for the first lawsuit cascade or big mainstream news controversy and then slowly start dropping advertisers.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 9, 2022

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Good old, pure hearted Nazi Jack.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

"The inmates were running the asylum" AKA, the employees were doing their jobs.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Elon likes to claim every action of his companies as his own. It follows that the company should never make a decision that the CEO would not make themselves. Anything else would be a sign of mental disorder.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dapper_Swindler posted:

with twitter it depend. i suspect alot of companies are gonna wait to see how bad it really gets and wait for the first lawsuit cascade or big mainstream news controversy and then slowly start dropping advertisers.

Looking forward to the next round of "Oh that's why we were spending all that money on smoke detectors and fire alarms, guess we shouldn't have got rid of them all"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Only Musk would think that it's proper for a CEO to be involved in literally every single decision a company might make. "Jack was not consulted about the lunch menu, clearly the asylum was being run by the inmates."

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Also companies aren't asylums or prisons. At least not until Elon buys them.

You typically want your employees doing things without strict CEO oversight.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You shouldn't need to have a guard on suicide watch in the coding pens.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

goatface posted:

You should get a pop-up at a christmas market and sell some of the spares to the community. There must be thousands of people out there with similar urges but no wood/metalworking skill to create the essential tool.

Not a bad idea. The ultimate christmas gift to the would-be revolutionary in your family. Buy two and get a miniature table-top model for free, perfect if the billionaire in question is also a sex pest.

:ssh: (they all are)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yup ny point exactly. Anyone even slightly familiar with the issue, who has set up a website, should know this, will know this

But not Elon I guess

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

he still thinks he owns an American software company lol. wrong on all counts my friend.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

goatface posted:

What if Philonius themselves becomes a billionaire through their sales of guillotines?

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

fizzy posted:

What if Philonius themselves becomes a billionaire through their sales of guillotines?

I will let the workers seize the means of destruction.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Imagining Elon Musk on his private jet rummaging through the DMs of various celebrities with a smug rear end grin on his face...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Looking forward to the next round of "Oh that's why we were spending all that money on smoke detectors and fire alarms, guess we shouldn't have got rid of them all"

Wasn’t saying you were wrong. Was more just saying I think they make to much money to jump to the chud ship and the current midterm and other stuff show that. When it changes we will know.