Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawke
May 1, 2008
"The fortress attracted no new migrants this year" please it's been almost two years since the last wave and I'm still getting dwarf caravans. I need more meat for the meat grinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Oh gently caress oh poo poo oh fuckin poo poo it's a god drat Water Titan

What a lovely name! Send the Inky Palaces, the axedwarf militia to cut this turd to size!

Oh gently caress it shoots webs, no one said it would shoot webs! LOKUM!? NO!!!

The Titan got one attack off before being struck down, but one was all it needed...

Urvad will take up Lokums place as the head of the Inky Palaces, may Lokum walk through the vale and find his own palace.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

New to the game and wow there’s a lot to learn, a few questions so far.

I noticed I have no mushroom spores left, I thought I’d get some from the harvesting of the ones I grew but when I click on the field it says I have no seeds. How do you manage what you’re planting so you have more seeds and spores to plant later? Will I have to wait till the next caravan to buy some more?

Some of my dwarves are getting grumpy and have unfulfilled needs like “acquire item” and “be extravagant”. I know you can fulfill their desire to pray to a specific deity via a temple but one of them wants to pray to like 3 of them, should I bother this early on? What are some steps I can take early on to have happier dwarves?

I noticed they don’t like being in the rain!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
How do you pull up your world seed in the new version?

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I'm in year three of my tutorial fortress and I can't keep up with this coming from some time in Rimworld. I'm in fall of year 3, I have 80+ dwarves, half of whom are slightly unhappy, and now I have ghost children attacking alive children.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Neurion posted:

I've also come to accept and even appreciate light aquifers. I now have a cistern and hospital below the aquifer layers, with a diagonal corner in the aqueduct corridor, and I never ever need to throw a lever or do anything manually to keep the water topped up now. At first I thought the aquifers wouldn't produce water fast enough to fill a large cistern, so the "collection" area in the damp layers was dug out in a way to increase the surface available to leak into, and that did the trick quite nicely. The cistern was full within two game months.

Could you post a screenshot or two of this setup? Like 14 years of playing and I'm still hesitant around water pressure mechanics

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

One of my dwarves got both of his hands mangled so now he's dying of thirst because he keeps dropping his mugs :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Thankyou for the tag!

I started a new fort last night on the edge of an ocean. Within an hour or so almost everyone had been killed by giant sparrows. A++ would do it again.

I was down to 1 mobile dwarf and 1 injured, at one point, but I think I'm clawing it back now.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

rain dogs posted:

I'm in year three of my tutorial fortress and I can't keep up with this coming from some time in Rimworld. I'm in fall of year 3, I have 80+ dwarves, half of whom are slightly unhappy, and now I have ghost children attacking alive children.

Ghosts means at some point you had dwarves who died and you have yet to bury them properly. Being haunted by dead loved ones tends to bring folks down! Some things that might help your dwarves chill out would include proper cups to drink out of, a smoothed dining hall with a bunch of nice tables, chairs, and statues, and perhaps a nice big temple dedicated to no god in particular.

Dorfs need good poo poo in their lives to balance out the bad. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stress

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

Elderbean posted:

New to the game and wow there’s a lot to learn, a few questions so far.

I noticed I have no mushroom spores left, I thought I’d get some from the harvesting of the ones I grew but when I click on the field it says I have no seeds. How do you manage what you’re planting so you have more seeds and spores to plant later? Will I have to wait till the next caravan to buy some more?

Some of my dwarves are getting grumpy and have unfulfilled needs like “acquire item” and “be extravagant”. I know you can fulfill their desire to pray to a specific deity via a temple but one of them wants to pray to like 3 of them, should I bother this early on? What are some steps I can take early on to have happier dwarves?

I noticed they don’t like being in the rain!

If you cook a plump helmet, you don't get seeds back, but if you brew it into alcohol, you get seeds. If you're out of seeds you can buy some next caravan.

A lot of needs are difficult to fulfill, but you can actually make a temple to 'no specific deity' and then dwarves can pray to any god they want there, or meditate. That'll make them much happier. Taverns, I think, also make them a lot happier.

Ideally your dwarves should not ever get rained on. Have you disassembled your wagon? That'll give you free wood and stop your dwarves from loitering around the wagon, outside. You can designate a meeting hall and dwarves will hang out there and socialize, keeping them out of the rain and making them happier, too.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I don't get kids these days and their zany fashion

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Installed a well in my dining hall and managed to not gently caress up the hydraulics. I'm nearly back to competency after years of rust. I also found a fat native platinum mine, so we're about to seriously deck out the dining hall and excite some dwarfs.

This is a good game.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
I bought some animals from the caravan but they are in cages and I can't figure out how to release them. Any ideas?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Have a vampire problem - know exactly who it is. The mayor was already suspicious, but after I convicted him for two murders and all he got was a beating, he just stopped hiding it. This time I had a jail set up and he's tied away now, but you'd think they'd just go to the hammerer after eating a kid in the dining hall in front of everybody.

Bernardo Orel
Sep 2, 2011

fermun posted:

I bought some animals from the caravan but they are in cages and I can't figure out how to release them. Any ideas?

Place the cage somewhere like when you place a bed or a table, build a lever, link lever to cage, pull lever. At least I think that's how you do it.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Gosts posted:

Also, the merchants bought all my turtle shell earrings, but are stuck, won't finish packing and leaving, and won't report my wealth to the homeland. Therefore, I am not getting new migrants. We will be at 18-19-20 pop (babies born occasionally) for a long, long, long time.

Also they forgot to pack the turtle shells.

DEEPLANCE™.

Cool story bro. :)

Regarding your trade troubles. The traders where likely waiting for someone to talk to them but

Gosts posted:

do you know how long i haven't been able to have a bookkeeper or broker because I had NOBODY to do non-core labor

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trading

Trading flowchart

Turn your leader's labors off so they don't get distracted.
Conduct meetings with the diplomat.

Turn your trader's labors off so they don't get distracted.
Trade.

Turn trader's and leader's labors back on.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

fermun posted:

Assign the animals to a pen/pasture then unassign them if you want them to wander

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I've never had so much fun restarting a game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

the guide in the second post is from 2014, is there a more up to date one? i picked up the steam version and it's very overwhelming

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Woah two of my dwarfs, after we cleaned up the siege mess, got into a massive fist fight in the centre of my tavern. I wish I could tell why, but anyway this one vicious bastard mangled the other's shoulder so badly he'll never hold anything every again. Both ended up puking everywhere and are currently out cold in my hospital

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Now that my cage traps have caught a Bronze Colossus, a Giantess and a bunch of Goblin siegers, I believe it's time to start a Colosseum :doit:

also it appears the new gang tag broke my 18 year old av. rip

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

RBA-Wintrow posted:

Cool story bro. :)

Regarding your trade troubles. The traders where likely waiting for someone to talk to them but

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Trading

Trading flowchart

Turn your leader's labors off so they don't get distracted.
Conduct meetings with the diplomat.

Turn your trader's labors off so they don't get distracted.
Trade.

Turn trader's and leader's labors back on.

Thanks!

I'm quite certain it was a bug. I met the diplomat. I DID the trading. The 'merchants are leaving' message appeared. They picked up some stuff, walked a distance away, and stopped forever.

It's actually happened to me again, this time after a minotaur appeared... My pet theory is that if merchants get into a fight, they forget how to exist afterwards? perhaps? not sure what's going on. Maybe if I make my trade depo in a safer place this will stop happening, but i have too many other things to build to worry about that. oh well. i'll figure out what to do with this free poo poo tomorrow and then donate more crap next year i guess.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Is the soundtrack tied to things you do in game at all? Because once I built a tavern I started getting this song that sounds like Slavic folk music mixed with rock, and it KICKS rear end

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah that song is great, i think it's once your tavern hits a certain number of patrons maybe?

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Do bins work as ammo storage now or do I still need to dig out a giant room to fill with evenly spread out bolts?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Hawke posted:

"The fortress attracted no new migrants this year" please it's been almost two years since the last wave and I'm still getting dwarf caravans. I need more meat for the meat grinder.

The dwarven caravan from your home civilization influences the number of immigrants received (if the caravan leaves intact).
So have them report back that they sold a bunch of worthless crap and you payed them in a small fortune worth of rock mugs.
Migrants will think your fortress is doing great to be wasting valuables! So they'll come.
Rock mugs are light, so the traders can carry it all with them. And they are easy to make in high quality and volume.

There's no point in trying to pay in solid gold statues if the merchant can't carry it home.
If your trade depot has no values for the worth of items, then ensuring that a dwarf with the Appraiser skill is assigned as the trader will cause the values to appear.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Is the soundtrack tied to things you do in game at all? Because once I built a tavern I started getting this song that sounds like Slavic folk music mixed with rock, and it KICKS rear end

I think that one can kick in when a group performance breaks out in the tavern. It does, indeed, kick rear end

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Speaking of animals, is there an easier way to slaughter wild animals you've caught? I caught a bunch of naked mole dogs but the only way I could figure out how to consume their delicious wrinkly flesh was to put them in cages in my animal training area and mark them for training so they showed up in my livestock tab instead of the other creatures tab, then mark them for butchering. Which is not terribly streamlined.

Game rules, though.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

That song was probably Drink and Industry
https://youtu.be/bhU8VdELyTE

It does indeed slap

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

fermun posted:

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Does anyone know what might be giving me popups for 'no yarn cloth' when there's a pile of 20ish masterwork sheep cloth underneath my loom? As far as I understand it, silk clothing = cloth made from webs, cloth clothing = cloth made from plants, yarn clothing = cloth made from animal product, but my clothier doesn't seem to be able to make anything.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I had the most absurd moment yesterday where I was struggling because I had intentionally given myself a soft start so far as metal goes with a lot of shallow veins but didn't realize what that would really mean. I had to designate a bunch of mining operations because my fortress was absolutely overflowing with iron ore, to the point where I no longer had any *rocks* to build a smelter with.

I'm absolutely loving the new manager interface, I never really used it previously because it was a pain to manage but here it's "oh, you got more migrants? Well we got those beds you asked for boss, no problem". Especially the easy to use suggested parameters at the bottom.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Dec 9, 2022

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Captainicus posted:

Does anyone know what might be giving me popups for 'no yarn cloth' when there's a pile of 20ish masterwork sheep cloth underneath my loom? As far as I understand it, silk clothing = cloth made from webs, cloth clothing = cloth made from plants, yarn clothing = cloth made from animal product, but my clothier doesn't seem to be able to make anything.

I think we need more info than this.
Is the "pile" all one stack? Could it be "in use" and so not available to other dwarves?
Is it a burrow issue?
Can you set up a stockpile for it and see if it gets moved?
Are you sure you have yarn cloth and not thread?

I'm brainstorming but all I can come up with is that 'no yarn cloth' means 'no yarn cloth I'm allowed to use'. So it's claimed by another dwarf or in an inaccessible location to the dwarf that needs it.

Random though: Does your dwarf have hands?

a7m2 posted:

One of my dwarves got both of his hands mangled so now he's dying of thirst because he keeps dropping his mugs :(

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2Df3_k9PGM the thing that blew my mind was when this lyric version released.
They are actually singing it in the dwarf fotress language and it works

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhLiB66mUvU

^useful video on altering world generation

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Complete begginer here: what settings should I use if I want an ultra soft start for my first game (or technically 2nd game, after I did the tutorial and tried my first fort)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Kvlt! posted:

Complete begginer here: what settings should I use if I want an ultra soft start for my first game (or technically 2nd game, after I did the tutorial and tried my first fort)

Moderate temp, low savagery, most of the metals, Flux stone, some soil, no aquifer, temperate climate with trees, surface river, not evil

If you go into the worldgen menu when it's asking you to pick a location there is a menu to set parameters and it will search for a site that matches them.

E. And not located close to a hostile enemy, although you have to look for that yourself when choosing sites.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Dec 9, 2022

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

CuddleCryptid posted:

Moderate temp, low savagery, most of the metals, Flux stone, some soil, no aquifer, temperate climate with trees, surface river, not evil

If you go into the worldgen menu when it's asking you to pick a location there is a menu to set parameters and it will search for a site that matches them.

Thank you!!

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

RBA-Wintrow posted:

I think we need more info than this.
Is the "pile" all one stack? Could it be "in use" and so not available to other dwarves?
Is it a burrow issue?
Can you set up a stockpile for it and see if it gets moved?
Are you sure you have yarn cloth and not thread?

I'm brainstorming but all I can come up with is that 'no yarn cloth' means 'no yarn cloth I'm allowed to use'. So it's claimed by another dwarf or in an inaccessible location to the dwarf that needs it.

I unbuilt and rebuilt the loom and it seemed to be normal after that, I think it was all stacked 'under' the loom block or in trying to access the bin behind the loom block that the dwarves couldn't walk or grab things from. I assume I missed the fact the body of the loom can't be walked through when I built the workshop so I blocked my storage bins so the cloth was stuck 'en route' to an inaccessible stockpile, thank you for suggesting a new stockpile. Unfortunately I think I settled too far away from my parent civilization so I don't think I can get any more migrants but other than that we have excellent sock makers.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Socks are VERY important. Especially !socks!
Must have good socks. Can't do without.