Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

ManiacClown posted:

And there's four! Flipperwaldt and DeathTongue, please add ManiacClown#2986 on Discord. I'll create a group for us four to hash out who's doing what part of the song. I will by no means insist on doing the lead part myself. You've all heard my "singing."
I'm really sorry that I'm going to bow out. I don't understand what the technical reason is, but I just can't make it work and that's entirely on me. Insecurities squeezing my throat, idk. Sorry if you went to extra trouble on my account. I'm really frustrated with letting you down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Edit: no idea how I posted that here??

DeathTongue
Jul 13, 2001

ManiacClown posted:

And there's four! Flipperwaldt and DeathTongue, please add ManiacClown#2986 on Discord. I'll create a group for us four to hash out who's doing what part of the song. I will by no means insist on doing the lead part myself. You've all heard my "singing."

Added - I'm dhutchings#1958 so's you know who the request is coming from.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just a quick hello to say that I've listened to them all and am starting to get a track order going.

For anyone else reading this, SUBMIT A SONG!. The ones we have are wonderful, but I hope they won't be too lonely.

The more the merrier!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Really, just take a chance on a dumb song. There are so many old stodgy songs about stupid babies and merry measure and puddings with good tidings and poo poo.

Make a song about how wrapping paper is stupid, a Christmas story sucks, popcorn balls are good. Anything, it's your song and your holiday

Be Jolly

Heck just put words to an existing song and I will sing them.

Edit: even if it's just a kernel of an idea it has merit.

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 8, 2022

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Really, just take a chance on a dumb song. There are so many old stodgy songs about stupid babies and merry measure and puddings with good tidings and poo poo.

Make a song about how wrapping paper is stupid, a Christmas story sucks, popcorn balls are good. Anything, it's your song and your holiday

Be Jolly

Heck just put words to an existing song and I will sing them.

Edit: even if it's just a kernel of an idea it has merit.

For real, Jingle Bawitba was one of my favorites and it's just beautiful noise.
https://saxmas.robotcousin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/11-Jingle-Bawitiba.mp3

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

For real, Jingle Bawitba was one of my favorites and it's just beautiful noise.
https://saxmas.robotcousin.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/11-Jingle-Bawitiba.mp3

Same; this one is in my top 5, maybe top 3.

I still, once in a while, will start singing "BAW WIT AH... BAH WIT AHH... BANG BANG DIGGEH DIG-EHH!".

That track alone has justified the existence of Kid Rock, and that's a real Christmas miracle.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

KRISTOPHER KRINGLE SAYS HELLO

A holiday cover of "Not the Same" by BodyJar

https://soundcloud.com/theskinnymenace/christmas-day

edit: it just kinds of ends, but thats fine with me. I had a lot of fun working out the words for this one

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 8, 2022

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

If I can find it, I will sing the AP US History project I did where I rewrote the lyrics of "O Come All Ye Faithful" to be about the presidents.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

KRISTOPHER KRINGLE SAYS HELLO

A holiday cover of "Not the Same" by BodyJar

https://soundcloud.com/theskinnymenace/christmas-day

edit: it just kinds of ends, but thats fine with me. I had a lot of fun working out the words for this one

I love it. I didn't recognize the name at all, but I've definitely heard this many, many, many, many times.

Then it hit me.

I virtually kickflipped to this way too much. Thanks, Tony Hawk!

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Just a quick hello to say that I've listened to them all and am starting to get a track order going.

For anyone else reading this, SUBMIT A SONG!. The ones we have are wonderful, but I hope they won't be too lonely.

The more the merrier!

It doesn't even have to be a song! Look at the stuff I've done. To say that I can't sing for poo poo is being a bit generous, so much of what I do is speaking. I mean, if I can read an entire article of the Uniform Commercial Code in character as Santa or overlay eight different versions of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer on top of each other so they all play at once, you can do just about anything!

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Does anyone play a pedal steel guitar? My song is done but I feel it needs a little embellishment.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Is it okay to do, like, an instrumental? Like playing Silent Night in a windy forest during the actual night, and seeing what the bugs and leaves and wind add to the whole thing. Or is that not really the goonmas vibe.
(I guess I'm going to do it anyway, for my own interests' sake; do I send it in?)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Tree Bucket posted:

Is it okay to do, like, an instrumental? Like playing Silent Night in a windy forest during the actual night, and seeing what the bugs and leaves and wind add to the whole thing. Or is that not really the goonmas vibe.
(I guess I'm going to do it anyway, for my own interests' sake; do I send it in?)

The answer is always YES.

Spread that goon Christmas joy in any way you can!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

We have had serious entries in the past, and they're not just fine, but wonderful and loved. Please, send it in.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Tree Bucket posted:

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

I think i can get another one out, and this one is from a song released within the last month

Metallica Lux Eterna
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2L8pMdqwoY

anticipation
in vistation
hop in the car for a holiday drive

i know shes bakin
staining her apron
delicioipus sweets
awaiting when we arrive

Junkfood or nothing
junkfood or nothing
Snacks from GRANDMASSSSS
Snacks from GRANDMASSSSS

candied confection
its near perfection
divinity
and 10 kinds of pie

And iff you help her
then you lick the beater
everything is so sweet
from a lady so nice

Junkfood or nothing
junkfood or nothing
Snacks from GRANDMASSSSS
Snacks from GRANDMASSSSS

but she just wont quit
grannies got secrets?
the fire of mischif burns
behind those eyes
shes not done yet
she made my favorite
peppermint brownies
the ones that i like

now just to sing it

Beer_Suitcase fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 9, 2022

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I usually just post these over in the vinyl thread but this mix has a little christmasy vibe.

https://www.mixcloud.com/Radio_RapTz/moss-appeal-40-ft-pete-moss/

Music to decorate yer xmas tree.

Just waiting on a response from fiverr for a pedal steel to add to my song.

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

My lyrics are done, I have the backing track, now I just need to stop being sick so I can record.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

how do i sing loud with out ruining my lil condenser microphone .

i just sing it live over an instrumental track and i think if i try to James Hetfield it, its gonna sound all terrible.
Do i just sing loud but from far away?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Beer_Suitcase posted:

how do i sing loud with out ruining my lil condenser microphone .

i just sing it live over an instrumental track and i think if i try to James Hetfield it, its gonna sound all terrible.
Do i just sing loud but from far away?

If there's a pad option on the mic itself (like -3db, or more), use that as a start. It won't fix everything but it'll give you a bit more headroom. Your condenser mic will be fine. Is there ANY sort of input volume monitoring and control?

The clipping (when poo poo gets too loud and you hear the crackling) won't be coming from your microphone; it can take it. It's coming from when your audio is converted from analogue (actual sound) to digital (where it exists on your computer). Clipping happens when the signal is, shocker, too loud.

If you have a way of adjusting the gain (volume) of your input, and give it a few test screams, you should be able to get a nice level where you're screaming and it's not clipping. In fact, it'll sound real nice.

Then again, this is for the Awful Xmas album, so the standards are all over the place. But if you want to avoid that specific problem, that's how you do it.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

As for Album Art, I've been trying to think of something to do with this, only with Elon Musk as one of the Martians or something like that. I'm almost as bad at photoshop as I am at music though. I guess we could just start rolling up the AI generators and take our pick of whatever Christmas mess comes out.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Grammarchist posted:

I guess we could just start rolling up the AI generators and take our pick of whatever Christmas mess comes out.

This is what I figured would happen, honestly

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Chronojam posted:

This is what I figured would happen, honestly

It's what we did… last year, I think?

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
So tonight I started working on a really dumb concept and when I went to save it I found in my SA Christmas folder an unused terrible christmas song I must have been working on after Christmas two or so years ago. So if I find some free time its possible I have two songs this year, each more identically stupid as the last.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Superrodan posted:

So tonight I started working on a really dumb concept and when I went to save it I found in my SA Christmas folder an unused terrible christmas song I must have been working on after Christmas two or so years ago. So if I find some free time its possible I have two songs this year, each more identically stupid as the last.

The Residents would be proud of the Theory of Obscurity being put to use.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

The Residents would be proud of the Theory of Obscurity being put to use.

My goon, pulling out a Residents reference. Beautiful.

This means, of course, that superrodan MUST post the old idea, of course.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

ManiacClown posted:

It's what we did… last year, I think?

It was still ai operating on "fever dreams" mode. These days we could get very specific stuff.

One of my favorites is still the home made brown wrapping paper one, on the topic. That and the old happycat.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Here's a starting point for AI art:

You can barely tell it's Elizabeth II, but it's her.

edit: Here's a potential name!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 10, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The brackets inspired me to suggest, for a title...

"something_awful_xmas_final_final_edit_v1 (final).m3u"

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The 2019 Album Art was something special as well, from that weird Christmas Coloring Book thread.

I know the thread didn't last long, but it had a lot of festive weirdness.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
I look forward to this thread every year and I finally have something to contribute! Enjoy Merry's Letter.

Kristopher Kringle says hello

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uR4icfXBw5Osfh3EzZRjVXInY95d3yDn/view?usp=share_link

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tly-k95UPpQejbn_5DHMXfg_x9_qvKkw/view?usp=share_link

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
OK, my laptop FINALLY believes that BitTorrent is NOT being used for nefearious purposes, so here's the Magnet link to the Best of Goon Christmas 2009-2015. One of these years I'll make a companion.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:3FBC7E26E7192FB508F0964A82BFD7728067DD83&dn=The%20Best%20of%20Goon%20Christmas%202009-2015&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80%2fannounce&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.opentrackr.org%3a1337%2fannounce&tr=wss%3a%2f%2ftracker.btorrent.xyz

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Hi! Multi-Instrumentalist with a recording studio here.

I would love to collaborate with some goons on this. I am in the SA musicians discord as well so we could collaborate easily.

Question though, is there a link to the 'Best of" compilations? I don't know where to start in the epic backlog of all these submissions.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Captain Apollo posted:

Question though, is there a link to the 'Best of" compilations? I don't know where to start in the epic backlog of all these submissions.

You were probably writing this post while I made my post, but it's just above you.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

Buttchocks posted:

I look forward to this thread every year and I finally have something to contribute! Enjoy Merry's Letter.

Kristopher Kringle says hello

FLAC: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uR4icfXBw5Osfh3EzZRjVXInY95d3yDn/view?usp=share_link

WAV: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tly-k95UPpQejbn_5DHMXfg_x9_qvKkw/view?usp=share_link

This felt like a direct reference to something I didn't understand at all. Still, the quality of the recording and atmosphere was great.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I went clicking through the youtube playlist at random, and it’s a real experience. You really really don’t know what you're going to get. Terrifying stuff

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Edward Mass posted:

Here's a starting point for AI art:

You can barely tell it's Elizabeth II, but it's her.

edit: Here's a potential name!

I think "I'm Glad It's Christmas" needs a period on the end. No frivolity here, just a statement of fact. I'm glad it's Christmas.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

The brackets inspired me to suggest, for a title...

"something_awful_xmas_final_final_edit_v1 (final).m3u"

...v2 (final).DvdRip.m3u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I was thinking about doing something like "The Christmas Files" about a particularly petulant Billionaire launching a 70-tweet thread about being put on the Naughty List and Santa's abuse of power. I just don't have the gumption to do it.