Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Indiana_Krom posted:

FYI, 210 MHz is the desktop idle frequency for most modern nvidia GPUs. Check your windows power plan settings, maybe it is sticking in some power save state after waking from sleep. Also check your global power settings in the nvidia control panel.

For Windows I have it set to Balanced and I just reset the settings on it to Default.

In nvidia control panel under Manage 3D Settings I see Power management mode and it's set to Normal. Don't see other power settings there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

RTX4090 Founders Edition depicted at actual size

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

repiv posted:

outside of the narrow niches of SFF builders and people with too many PCIe cards i don't really see how it being two slots is a selling point

chunkier cards are likely to be quieter under load

Yeah this seems like a pretty good thing to me to have an over-built GPU that runs cooler and quiet. SFF builds are silly anyway and any full size ATX board will let you have another addon card or two even with the quad slot monster cards, and I'm struggling to think of why anyone with a gaming desktop needs any pci-e cards other than the GPU nowadays

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shipon posted:

Yeah this seems like a pretty good thing to me to have an over-built GPU that runs cooler and quiet. SFF builds are silly anyway and any full size ATX board will let you have another addon card or two even with the quad slot monster cards, and I'm struggling to think of why anyone with a gaming desktop needs any pci-e cards other than the GPU nowadays

10GbE to the NAS

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shipon posted:

More USB ports.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Subjunctive posted:

10GbE to the NAS

I just checked, I'm surprised 10gbe over usb 3.2 doesn't exist

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

In the developer settings for Portal RTX, you can toggle Shader Execution Reordering on and off. This is one of the special ray-tracing optimizations Nvidia touted during the 40-series announcement, exclusive to the 40-series. It needs to be implemented manually by developers though, and I believe this is the first time it has appeared in a shipped product. From toggling it on and off in a few different scenes, it gives me about a 10% boost to my frame rate on my 4090. I was hoping for a little better, to be honest, but it's still a decent boost I guess. From the way Nvidia was talking about it, it sounded like it was going to make a lot of tracing operations... 50% faster? Something like that. But I guess when implemented in a game engine that is doing many more things than just tracing rays, the overall boost to frame rate is going to be much less.

Portal RTX also utilizes opacity micromaps, another 40-series-exclusive RT optimization, though this doesn't seem to have a measurable impact from what I can tell.

There are a whole lot of other settings you can tweak in the developer menu. They basically give you free reign to tweak every single aspect of the ray tracing on the fly, which is fun.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Shipon posted:

Wireless.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

DoombatINC posted:

A candle long ago snuffed, but still casting shadows :allears:

I have very fond memories of replaying Half-Life 2 on my dad's X1950XTX. Last ATi card I had was the HD5850 (in crossfire, no less :nsallears:)

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Shipon posted:

PCI-e video capture card(s)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Isn't much of the purpose of ATX that it's expandible and you can slap THING X in it? If you're only going to get a GPU in there might as well use mITX mobos :twisted:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If you're going to put a mondo GPU in there you should at least go mATX so that the board has more space for headers and doesn't have to deal with some of the crazy space tradeoffs mITX does.

Shipon posted:

PCIe-to-NVMe adapters.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

motherboards are coming with as many as five m.2 slots now, how many dang SSDs do you need

given how scarcely consumers use PCIe now aside from the GPU, cards should be getting chunkier rather than longer IMO

more of this please

repiv fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 9, 2022

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

0/10 shroud isn't brown.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

njsykora posted:

0/10 shroud isn't brown.

Negative a billion imo

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DF gets a #1 victory royale, yeah fortnite we 'bout to get down (get down)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6GC8TZbJmI

series s is unsurprisingly being stretched quite thin, but at least it's playable

XSX: 864p-1836p dynamic, ~1274p average, TSR'ed to 4K
PS5: 864p-1836p dynamic, ~1188p average, TSR'ed to 4K
XSS: 540p-1080p dynamic, ~788p average, TSR'ed to 1080p

repiv fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 9, 2022

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I have a PCI USB card because bios updates never fixed my mobo's issue with Zen 3 and PCI-E 4.0 devices and USB. Never buying anything Gigabyte again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

cheesetriangles posted:

I have a PCI USB card because bios updates never fixed my mobo's issue with Zen 3 and PCI-E 4.0 devices and USB. Never buying anything Gigabyte again.

I had a gigabyte board die plugging in a USB digital camera in like 2004. The camera was fine, just some bad USB power thing on the motherboard killed the whole thing. I was able to RMA it, but then a couple of years later the replacement had bad caps. I've been holding a grudge ever since, even though I had a couple of other motherboards get bad caps in the capacitor plague era.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

repiv posted:

motherboards are coming with as many as five m.2 slots now, how many dang SSDs do you need

given how scarcely consumers use PCIe now aside from the GPU, cards should be getting chunkier rather than longer IMO

more of this please

If they’re going to do that, then more mobos should come with a pcie 1x or 4x slot above the primary x16 slot for those of us that do use a second one

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Rexxed posted:

I had a gigabyte board die plugging in a USB digital camera in like 2004. The camera was fine, just some bad USB power thing on the motherboard killed the whole thing. I was able to RMA it, but then a couple of years later the replacement had bad caps. I've been holding a grudge ever since, even though I had a couple of other motherboards get bad caps in the capacitor plague era.

Gigabyte were the worse offender for releasing a motherboard, letting it get reviewed, then putting out a "rev1.1" version with corners cut

I've avoided them since then

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

cheesetriangles posted:

Wasn't that an issue across different vendors? Or do you mean that others fixed it?

(My Gigabyte story is my monitor developing a vertical line of dead pixels a year in)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Retailers possibly starting to panic a bit: https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4080-drops-to-1099-in-uk-100-below-current-msrp

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

repiv posted:

Gigabyte were the worse offender for releasing a motherboard, letting it get reviewed, then putting out a "rev1.1" version with corners cut

I've avoided them since then

I forget which motherboard this was, but I think they released one model where PCIE4 support was totally borked. Their solution was to rebrand it as the innocuously sounding "S" variant or something like that.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Wasn't that an issue across different vendors? Or do you mean that others fixed it?

(My Gigabyte story is my monitor developing a vertical line of dead pixels a year in)

Others fixed it my mobo never did.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

repiv posted:

DF gets a #1 victory royale, yeah fortnite we 'bout to get down (get down)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6GC8TZbJmI

series s is unsurprisingly being stretched quite thin, but at least it's playable

XSX: 864p-1836p dynamic, ~1274p average, TSR'ed to 4K
PS5: 864p-1836p dynamic, ~1188p average, TSR'ed to 4K
XSS: 540p-1080p dynamic, ~788p average, TSR'ed to 1080p

Wow

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

People have been asking about reasons to upgrade and the PC port of Returnal's required and recommended specs were released yesterday. Minimum GPU is a 1060 and recommended is a 2070 Super or 6700 XT. I assume moving forward that all of the PS5-first games will have similarly high requirements to run well

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

That doesn't seem very high?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Returnal is very demanding on the PS5, it runs with an internal resolution of just 1080p to hit 60fps

I wonder what it'll take to run it on PC with the new raytracing bells and whistles they're adding

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

cheesetriangles posted:

That doesn't seem very high?

People were absolutely losing their minds that Deathloop recommended a 2060 to run. That plus the crappy performance of Darktide makes it seem like requirements are finally inching upward

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

change my name posted:

People were absolutely losing their minds that Deathloop recommended a 2060 to run. That plus the crappy performance of Darktide makes it seem like requirements are finally inching upward

I think Darktide is the first game release where it feels like the developers assumed you would turn Ray Tracing on. More devs building around that are the real '10x series cards won't cut it anymore'.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-and-non-ti-4070-specs-leak

Full info on the 4070 ti has "leaked" apart from the pricing. What really happened is that they randomly sent them out to the tech press without any embargo info or marketing materials...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

change my name posted:

https://hothardware.com/news/nvidia-geforce-rtx-4070-ti-and-non-ti-4070-specs-leak

Full info on the 4070 ti has "leaked" apart from the pricing. What really happened is that they randomly sent them out to the tech press without any embargo info or marketing materials...

That 4070 looks....pretty good? A little above a 3080 in perf, I think. Ideally you'd want a little more but in this new market reality that's a pleasant surprise, honestly.

I'm sure it'll cost $899

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the 4090 continues to be nuts relative to the rest of the line, it has nearly 3x the cores of the 4070

3070 to 3090 was only about 2x

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, it's 15x as big and uses 24x more power so

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

So now that the dust has settled, what’s the best way to snag a FE 4090?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Animal posted:

So now that the dust has settled, what’s the best way to snag a FE 4090?

Exchanging money for one?

They were not too hard to get if you setup instock alerts and whatnot, but they supply shrunk quite a bit and I am not entirely sure if it recovered. I'd expect it'll be available again right around MSRP before too long so I'd probably avoid scalpers but you might have to wait a month+ before stock stabilizes again.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The core ratio 4070 : 4090 is basically 3060 : 3090. Every product in this stack that isn't the 4090 is going to be and remain grossly overpriced, which is an absurd state for this market to be in. I massively favor buying Nvidia GPUs for a bunch of reasons, but if I were buying a next-gen GPU and couldn't afford a 4090, I would probably just ignore Nvidia.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Isn't each new Nvidia x70 card usually about as fast as the (x-1)80 Ti?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

K8.0 posted:

The core ratio 4070 : 4090 is basically 3060 : 3090

Why does stuff like this matter? Like, I get that it seems like Nvidia will overprice their cards, but why does it matter what % of a chip is disabled or anything like that, when ultimately you can judge what performance you're getting for a given cost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

unpronounceable posted:

Why does stuff like this matter?

You can know that it's bad value once they announce the price instead of waiting for benchmarks since they love to embargo reviews until the last minute now