Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Yeah I’m seeing one good division in those four

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
I'd expect the big ten to so protected rivalries like the ACC is doing next year. Not hard pods, but each school plays 2-3 teams every year, then rotates through the other 10-11 over 2 years.

So like OSU plays Michigan, PSU, and Illinois every year. PSU plays OSU, UMD, and Rutgers every year. Not saying these teams are right, but hard pods aren't the only option.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

I'd expect the big ten to so protected rivalries like the ACC is doing next year. Not hard pods, but each school plays 2-3 teams every year, then rotates through the other 10-11 over 2 years.

So like OSU plays Michigan, PSU, and Illinois every year. PSU plays OSU, UMD, and Rutgers every year. Not saying these teams are right, but hard pods aren't the only option.

This brings back Illibuck, so I'm for it.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

General question on the idea of 32 team conferences.... Why are people so convinced that it's going to happen at some point? If it does, wouldn't that significantly reduce the amount of tv revenue that Big 10/SEC schools currently get, due to having to share that revenue with a bunch more schools?

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

No way the ADs for OSU, PSU, MSU, and Michigan allow that pod to happen.

Yeah man, gently caress off

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I love the idea of Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State in a pod together. Can we go back to the the original Big Ten division naming scheme and call this one the Sex Offenders Division?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

I still think 3 permanent rivals + home-and-homes every four years for the others is the ideal model for a 16-team conference. If you have more than 3 rivals that you just really have to play every year, sorry I guess?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I still think 3 permanent rivals + home-and-homes every four years for the others is the ideal model for a 16-team conference. If you have more than 3 rivals that you just really have to play every year, sorry I guess?

The only issue is that they assignments can get it "wrong". I'm a VT fan, and our 3 permanent rivals are UVA(duh), Pitt(um ok?), and Wake(what? why?). GT and Miami are the two teams that most of the fanbase wanted along with UVA, and there are arguments for BC or the one of the other NC schools. So it's for sure not perfect, but I think it's a totally workable and reasonable model.

I don't get why people are so fixated on pods. Other than the massive WAC back in the day I don't think it's been done at the FBS level, and there's no rule forcing conferences to go in that direction anyway.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

drunk leprechaun posted:

The only issue is that they assignments can get it "wrong". I'm a VT fan, and our 3 permanent rivals are UVA(duh), Pitt(um ok?), and Wake(what? why?). GT and Miami are the two teams that most of the fanbase wanted along with UVA, and there are arguments for BC or the one of the other NC schools. So it's for sure not perfect, but I think it's a totally workable and reasonable model.

I won't disagree with your perceptions as an actual VT fan, you certainly know more than I do, but I would've had no clue that VT considered itself rivals with GT or Miami. VT-GT has only been played 19 times, VT-Miami is 40 and annually since '92 so okay yeah I can see that.

But sure, I can see your point about the conference getting it "wrong." But for many schools it seems like the top three rivals would be obvious if they really are true rivalries.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
VT-Miami is a holdover from being the two actually good teams in the old Big East.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

maruhkati posted:

Hoo boy, get ready for some fireworks up in Madison!

https://twitter.com/SpursTedLasso/status/1600645740212133888

I’m calling now that this isn’t going to work at all. Longo’s offense by design is not complementary football for how Fickell likes to play defense, and his running schemes are not going to be diverse enough to keep the ball when they want. Dude is so reductive with his personnel and route combos that I just don’t get it at a place like Wisconsin where your receiving threats are all heavily developmental guys and not raw matchup problems who don’t need much training. You can open things up without losing your core offense or being overly reductive—just screams overcorrection to me.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

TheGreyGhost posted:

I’m calling now that this isn’t going to work at all. Longo’s offense by design is not complementary football for how Fickell likes to play defense, and his running schemes are not going to be diverse enough to keep the ball when they want. Dude is so reductive with his personnel and route combos that I just don’t get it at a place like Wisconsin where your receiving threats are all heavily developmental guys and not raw matchup problems who don’t need much training. You can open things up without losing your core offense or being overly reductive—just screams overcorrection to me.

I think it’s more that unless he gets the recruits to match the scheme, it won’t pan out - Wisconsin can always get the 3* guys that can do a run-first heavy offense, we almost never get the guys that can do a run and shoot offense.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

DrunkPanda posted:

General question on the idea of 32 team conferences.... Why are people so convinced that it's going to happen at some point? If it does, wouldn't that significantly reduce the amount of tv revenue that Big 10/SEC schools currently get, due to having to share that revenue with a bunch more schools?
People are comforted by the idea that there are 64 meaningful fanbases and lucrative media markets.

Realistically, nobody has any idea how the media landscape is going to play out once carriage fees peter out. Folks are just making assumptions that because there's been a pressure towards expansion over the past 20+ years, number will continue to go up. There's is some merit to the idea that conferences will continue to grow as geography becomes irrelevant, but even that has limits. UMass is never getting that power conference invite they moved from FCS for (not least because everyone realized nobody in the Boston market gave a gently caress).

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I mean WVU has more dedicated fans and is more valuable than Rutgers, which exists in an enormous TV market that doesn't care about college football. I posted a few weeks ago that the Rutgers-Maryland game only drew 90,000 watchers on the Big Ten Network. I mean, look at this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Pretty wild that Iowa State-TCU drew more viewers than LSU-A&M, even if TCU was unbeaten.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Yea, it wasn't even a good game.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

TheGreyGhost posted:

Ground and pound manball is going to be a lot less effective when divisions go away. I doubt Kyle Wittingham has a much different football philosophy than Fickell or Ferentz or whoever, but Utah can still spread out and put up points when needed. Maybe not the full Longo experience, but Wisconsin has to expand beyond the power run game

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Ground and pound manball is going to be a lot less effective when divisions go away. I doubt Kyle Wittingham has a much different football philosophy than Fickell or Ferentz or whoever, but Utah can still spread out and put up points when needed. Maybe not the full Longo experience, but Wisconsin has to expand beyond the power run game

a.) why will it be less effective?
and
b.) you know the Pac12 effectively didn't have divisions this year right?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Judgy Fucker posted:

I won't disagree with your perceptions as an actual VT fan, you certainly know more than I do, but I would've had no clue that VT considered itself rivals with GT or Miami. VT-GT has only been played 19 times, VT-Miami is 40 and annually since '92 so okay yeah I can see that.

But sure, I can see your point about the conference getting it "wrong." But for many schools it seems like the top three rivals would be obvious if they really are true rivalries.

VT-GT is certainly a newer rivalry but I think both schools are decently invested in it. In the 00's through the early 10's, the VT-GT game determined the winner of the Coastal almost every year, so both fanbases were pretty hyped about that game every year. I think nowadays both schools consider each other to be their third-biggest rival, after UGA and Clemson for GT (lol) and after UVA and Miami for VT. Add in the fact that we're the two "Tech" schools in the conference and you've got a natural rivalry.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Komet posted:

I mean WVU has more dedicated fans and is more valuable than Rutgers, which exists in an enormous TV market that doesn't care about college football. I posted a few weeks ago that the Rutgers-Maryland game only drew 90,000 watchers on the Big Ten Network. I mean, look at this:

Lol more people were at the OSU-UM game than watched Rutgers on TV.

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

Pakled posted:

VT-GT is certainly a newer rivalry but I think both schools are decently invested in it. In the 00's through the early 10's, the VT-GT game determined the winner of the Coastal almost every year, so both fanbases were pretty hyped about that game every year. I think nowadays both schools consider each other to be their third-biggest rival, after UGA and Clemson for GT (lol) and after UVA and Miami for VT. Add in the fact that we're the two "Tech" schools in the conference and you've got a natural rivalry.

I'd say WVU is higher than GT for VT, but yes that rating is right for our ACC rivalries from my opinion.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Pakled posted:

All fair, and I certainly didn't mean to suggest that VT and GT weren't or shouldn't be rivals. Just an outsider's perspective on the visibility of certain rivalries.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

drunk leprechaun posted:

a.) why will it be less effective?
and
b.) you know the Pac12 effectively didn't have divisions this year right?

All the former B1G West teams can't beat up the B1G West anymore and have to play good teams a lot more

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007

All the former B1G West teams can't beat up the B1G West anymore and have to play good teams a lot more

So why does that make that type of football less effective? You know UGA just won the natty, and is likely to win another playing that style of football right? And Utah is back to back conf champs, the second on in a division free Pac12 playing that style of ball right? Like yes teams in the west will likely have a harder time making the conf championship game, but I fail to see how that means run heave power man ball is now irrelevant.

drunk leprechaun fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 9, 2022

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

It works for UGA and Bama because they have dudes everywhere and play the best possible version of manball. Wisconsin trying to pound better teams A gap over and over does not work

It works for Utah be a use the Pac 12 sucks and they can and do throw the ball plenty

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

It works for UGA and Bama because they have dudes everywhere and play the best possible version of manball. Wisconsin trying to pound better teams A gap over and over does not work

It works for Utah be a use the Pac 12 sucks and they can and do throw the ball plenty

Are we talking about the B1G where Michigan just runs straight at people until the defence dies and they just spend the entire second half walking into the end zone repeatedly?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

drunk leprechaun posted:

So why does that make that type of football less effective? You know UGA just won the natty, and is likely to win another playing that style of football right? And Utah is back to back conf champs, the second on in a division free Pac12 playing that style of ball right? Like yes teams in the west will likely have a harder time making the conf championship game, but I fail to see how that means run heave power man ball is now irrelevant.

Georgia’s offense hasn’t really been that under Monken. That’s what Kirby tried to do his first few years and it didn’t work. Georgia still runs it a lot but that’s because they’re often nursing big leads.

Bennett is second in yards among SEC QBs and he’s only 300 behind a Mike leach guy. UGA isn’t shy about throwing the ball.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 9, 2022

Yates
Jan 29, 2010

He was just 17...

drunk leprechaun posted:

UNC under Longo did run the ball though? 3 of the last 4 years they had more rushing yards per game than Georgia. 1 year in the last 4 they had more than Utah with another one within a couple yards per game. So where is this coming from that now Wisconsin won't run the ball?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
A move to pods is going to effect the teams in the West that much. Nebraska already gets two out of the Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State triangle pretty much every year. There are bad teams in the East as well. UCLA and USC are probably not going to have great immediate success just based on having to prepare for teams their rosters haven't been built to counter. "Schedule luck" is going to be a factor, but it already has been in the past. I'm sure some current Big Ten West team will eventually have a wonderful regular season going up against Maryland, Rutgers, Indiana, post-Brohm Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern, UCLA on a 9 AM Pacific kick time, Illinois, and Nebraska.

Why doesn't some team blend tempo and clock control football? By this I mean: line up sans huddle immediately after the conclusion of the previous play in some completely generic package. Don't substitute so the defense can't sub in new players either. Just sit there motionless for 20 seconds or whatever until the play clock ticks down to ~eight seconds. Then shift into the play's actual formation and snap the ball with 1-2 seconds left.

The defense can't make substitutions and really can't read much of anything before the snap because of the movement. The offense gets to bleed the clock and take pressure off the defense. What is the downside I'm not seeing? Lineman can't sit still that long?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

PBCrunch posted:

Why doesn't some team blend tempo and clock control football? By this I mean: line up sans huddle immediately after the conclusion of the previous play in some completely generic package. Don't substitute so the defense can't sub in new players either. Just sit there motionless for 20 seconds or whatever until the play clock ticks down to ~eight seconds. Then shift into the play's actual formation and snap the ball with 1-2 seconds left.

I think some teams do kinda do this, although not every play. But from a very aggressive form which you seem to be envisioning... Hmm, just from a functional standpoint I think it's a little bit of a pain in the rear end for linemen to sit in a three point stance for the whole play clock without resetting/standing up and looking at the sideline, whatever...over and over and over again for the entire game making it look like you just might snap the ball.

Not saying it couldn't work, but that'd be my initial thought.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
N: Bobby Petrino emerges as candidate for Texas A&M OC position
V: Hell yeah, Jimbo continues to assemble the Suicide Squad of coaching staffs (please get rid of Adazzio though, he did a bad job with the OL this year)

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

General Dog posted:

V: Hell yeah, Jimbo continues to assemble the Suicide Squad of coaching staffs (please get rid of Adazzio though, he did a bad job with the OL this year)

Gotta double down on that culture. It worked well this year.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

pseudodragon posted:

Are we talking about the B1G where Michigan just runs straight at people until the defence dies and they just spend the entire second half walking into the end zone repeatedly?

god I love university of Michigan football

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

General Dog posted:

DJ Durkin is on that staff, so technically it's a Homicide Squad

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/MrMatthewCFB/status/1601425059331002368?t=B8XT_0eYPkmzjXiQ93x7wA&s=19

https://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/1601429051549560832?s=19

shyduck fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 10, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Montana St.'s turf is an ice rink lmao

they picked the wrong game to put on ESPN2

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/acosta32_jp/status/1601585511038332929

https://twitter.com/rodger/status/1601590228719763456

Vertical Lime fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 10, 2022

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

And that game was only on ESPN+

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Ryan Day is absolutely the weirdest looking dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Highliy recommend the Georgia high school 7A championshp game, if you can stream it. Mill Creek is on a whole different level and Carrollton's got a freshman quarterback that's going to be pretty elite. He's thrown for 400 yards at halftime, though Mill Creek is ahead 49-28. During one stretch there were 5 touchdowns combined between the two teams in 55 seconds.