Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

EmbryoSteve posted:

I am so curious how the jets would look with a straight up top 15 qb.

Are you implying that Zach Wilson isn't the guy?! Say it ain't so, Embryo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

Has Staley improved the Chargers defense at all or is that merely a product of him not being able to focus on the defense any longer?

Doesn’t seem like he has. But he did improve the Rams defense when he took over for Wade.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Has Staley improved the Chargers defense at all or is that merely a product of him not being able to focus on the defense any longer?

A few weeks ago they were 734th out of 734 defenses since 2000 in regards to yards per carry given up.

Injuries have played a part, but they do not look prepared or ready on a week in and out basis

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

mcmagic posted:

This seems to have worked out for the Jets, no?

I think I have said it before in the AFCE thread, but Saleh wasn't a particularly good DC until the 9ers added Bosa. And for what it's worth the Jets add Gardner who is probably on or near the same talent level as Bosa and suddenly it all comes together for the Jets D.

Plus the 49ers DC who replaced Saleh is being talked up as a top HC candidate already.

In the end though maybe Saleh works out because he can motivate guys and get them to fight for him. But if the Jets get a decent QB next year or even if Lafleur manages to coach up White or some replacement level QB, along with Wilson improving and Huff coming back, he's going to be an HC candidate for sure.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Hey maybe Greg Roman sticks around in Baltimore after all.
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1600910987594326017

syzpid posted:

I think I have said it before in the AFCE thread, but Saleh wasn't a particularly good DC until the 9ers added Bosa. And for what it's worth the Jets add Gardner who is probably on or near the same talent level as Bosa and suddenly it all comes together for the Jets D.
I mean, it's not just Sauce to be fair. All these guys either weren't on the team or didn't play due to injury last year and are significant contributors.

Sauce
DJ Reed
Jordan Whitehead
Carl Lawson
Lamarcus Joyner
Kwon Alexander
Jermaine Johnson
Michael Clemons

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

syzpid posted:

Plus the 49ers DC who replaced Saleh is being talked up as a top HC candidate already.

In the end though maybe Saleh works out because he can motivate guys and get them to fight for him. But if the Jets get a decent QB next year or even if Lafleur manages to coach up White or some replacement level QB, along with Wilson improving and Huff coming back, he's going to be an HC candidate for sure.

It's more than just Gardner. You have to give him credit for identifying DJ Reed as a FA target, having Quinnen Williams become an all pro player and the DL rotation, that we all loving HATED working really well actually.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

syzpid posted:

I don't know why you would be high on a defensive coach unless your team already has a competent offense already. If you hire a DC as head coach and his OC ends up being good, your probably going to lose the OC in 2 or 3 seasons max. Meanwhile if you hire a good OC as HC, if his DC is good it'll probably be 4-5 seasons till he actually gets hired as a HC elsewhere.

To oversimplify it I think a good coach is a good coach. Belichick is a defensive coach, Mike Tomlin is a defensive coach, they've done alright for themselves and Bill at least didn't have much of an offense going in. Pete Carroll. Vrabel fits in here too. He's old news now and stuck on Washington with no real hope but Ron Rivera was pretty successful for a while there.

I don't know, if I need to hire a coach and I have a choice between the flashy offensive guru and the big shot DC I'm probably taking the offensive guy too. Just saying the other way can and has worked in some places over the years.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Diva Cupcake posted:

Hey maybe Greg Roman sticks around in Baltimore after all.
https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/1600910987594326017

I mean, it's not just Sauce to be fair. All these guys either weren't on the team or didn't play due to injury last year and are significant contributors.

Sauce
DJ Reed
Jordan Whitehead
Carl Lawson
Lamarcus Joyner
Kwon Alexander
Jermaine Johnson
Michael Clemons

Stanford feels like it should be in a perpetual state of 6-6. Garrett makes perfect sense.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I'd be surprised if Ben Johnson got hired. He's done a great job with the Lions' offense and made Jared Goff look (at times) like a credible starter, but he's only been OC for a single season. He'd also be the first Lions coordinator to be hired as a Head Coach since.. uhhhhh...

That said, I also really don't want him hired away since he's done a great job with the Lions' offense and made Jared Goff look (at times) like a credible starter. Man is good at his job.

Duce Staley is the guy on the Lions that 100% deserves interviews and a chance to be a head coach.

I honestly think Ben is in his dream job and he'll want to stick with it for a couple seasons before he thinks he's ready for an HC spot.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I'd love for the Colts to hire somebody a little more fiery than the bland dudes they've trotted out forever. Dungy to Caldwell to Pagano to Reich is like the most milquetoast lineup ever.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

ShakeZula posted:

I'd love for the Colts to hire somebody a little more fiery than the bland dudes they've trotted out forever. Dungy to Caldwell to Pagano to Reich is like the most milquetoast lineup ever.

They should poach Deion.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Woozie66 posted:

They should poach Deion.

Nah, too much coaching experience baggage

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

syzpid posted:

Aren’t you a Dolphins fan now?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Danny LaFever posted:

Duce Staley is the guy on the Lions that 100% deserves interviews and a chance to be a head coach.

I honestly think Ben is in his dream job and he'll want to stick with it for a couple seasons before he thinks he's ready for an HC spot.

I'm still mad duce didn't get to be our new head coach because he's my childhood running back so therefore he is the fairytale leader of my eagles and it was right there!!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm still mad duce didn't get to be our new head coach because he's my childhood running back so therefore he is the fairytale leader of my eagles and it was right there!!

GM to assistant: get me an interview set up with Deuce

NO NOT LIKE THAT

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Docjowles posted:

NO NOT LIKE THAT

Hahahahaha look at his little feet.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They are leaving Josh McDaniels in LA right?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

McDaniels' kryptonite appears to be "people who have no experience at their current job." First Saturday as HC, then Baker as Rams QB.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So uh, I was ready to publish my new rankings tonight. It's gonna need a little rewriting for a minute.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

McDaniels' kryptonite appears to be "people who have no experience at their current job." First Saturday as HC, then Baker as Rams QB.

I'm dying at that

McDaniels lost to Jeff Saturday, who had never coached before and was less than a week in with a new team with no offensive coordinator

Then to Baker Mayfield who joined the team less than two days ago on a 98 yard drive with less than 2 minutes and no timeouts

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Well this really shook up the draft lol.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
https://twitter.com/saturdayjeff/status/1586792154390843392

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Docjowles posted:

NO NOT LIKE THAT

I believe that this man has absolutely no psychological issues whatsoever

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WEEK 14 UPDATE

COOL

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Robert Saleh, New York Jets
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
John Harbaugh, Baltimore Ravens
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Nick Sirianni, Philadelphia Eagles
Mike McCarthy, Dallas Cowboys
Ron Rivera, Washington Commanders
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Dan Campbell, Detroit Lions
Arthur Smith, Atlanta Falcons
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers

The big news this week was the shocking dismissal of Titans GM Jon Robinson, which is not a normal move a team makes in December when they’re about to win their third straight division title. I don’t think this changes anything about Vrabel’s status (it might actually help him if you believe the theory that he made a power move), but it’s a strange story nonetheless.

FIRST-YEAR COACHES

Mike McDaniel, Miami Dolphins
Doug Pederson, Jacksonville Jaguars
Brian Daboll, New York Giants
Kevin O’Connell, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Eberflus, Chicago Bears
Todd Bowles, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Dennis Allen, New Orleans Saints

This has to be the weirdest rookie coaching class I’ve seen since I started doing these threads. At least three people here are legitimate COTY contenders, and a couple are already facing questions about their security. I’m going to leave Allen here for now despite the Saints’ Monday night meltdown, but he hasn’t done much to make his case in his second go-round as an HC. And Bowles is lucky as hell that Brady can still pull some wins out of his rear end

MILD

Kevin Stefanski, Cleveland Browns – This might be the last time I have Stefanski ranked here. Unless Watson’s play has truly fallen off a cliff (making the contract even more impossible to justify than it already was), the Browns seem ready to take a mulligan year and gear up for 2023.

Lovie Smith, Houston Texans – I don’t know, guys. I really don’t know. I’ve been saying all year that it’d be horrible optics for a team to one-and-done a Black coach two years in a row, but that assumes the Texans are capable of shame or self-awareness. Either way, Lovie is washed as hell, and it’d be a shame if an otherwise excellent career has to end on this sour note. Maybe the most rudderless organization in football, and that’s saying something when you look around the league.

Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas Raiders – I wasn’t planning to talk about McDaniels this week. Mark Davis has been adamant all year that he’s not in danger, and they were riding a three-game winning streak headed into Thursday. Beat the zombie Rams, and they’re 6-7 and back in the fringes of the playoff race.

And yet.

Can’t remember seeing a team stack so many baffling losses like the Raiders have. What strikes me is how preventable many of them were – can’t blow a 23-7 4th-quarter lead to the Cardinals. Can’t lose to a coach who was in the ESPN studio six days earlier. Can’t lose to Baker Mayfield who’s been on the Rams for 12 minutes. Well-coached teams simply don’t lose these games. Maybe McD won’t get his pink slip in 2022, but he already has a long hill to climb.

Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals – Even when the Cardinals aren’t playing, they’re still stuck in some weird drama. Last week during the bye, it was Patrick Peterson putting Kyler Murray on full-blast for being a selfish teammate. A few weeks ago, it was the O-line coach getting fired after a groping incident in Mexico. It all smacks of an organization in disarray and having to constantly put out fires, and the on-field play hasn’t been good enough to quiet it down. Kliff’s contract extension might be a lifeline (though you can ask Jon Robinson how much that’s worth), but that’s about it. Four years into the tenure, the Cardinals are still searching for an identity.

MODERATE

Brandon Staley, Los Angeles Chargers – Staley’s best hope is that it’s only his second year and he’s dealing with an injury avalanche. That’s about where the good news ends. This year was supposed to be Justin Herbert’s coronation, and instead they could be missing the playoffs three straight years with one of the game’s most talented young passers (more importantly, they’re wasting his affordable rookie contract years). One of the biggest culprits is the defense, which is supposed to be Staley’s bread and butter. When a head coach can’t take care of his side of the field, he’s going to be in trouble real fast. If I had to guess, I think Staley will get a playoffs-or-bust ultimatum for 2023, but if the Chargers crash and burn down the stretch, all bets are off.

SPICY HOT

Nathaniel Hackett, Denver Broncos – He’s done, the party is over. Whatever excuses a first-year coach can conjure up have all been exhausted. Heads simply have to roll for the Broncos’ total implosion, and you can’t fire the quarterback any time soon, so here we are. Good luck to the next guy who wants to stake his career on trying to fix Russ.

Matt Rhule, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Steve Wilks)
Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts (interim coach: Jeff Saturday

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Benne posted:

Lovie Smith, Houston Texans – I don’t know, guys. I really don’t know. I’ve been saying all year that it’d be horrible optics for a team to one-and-done a Black coach two years in a row, but that assumes the Texans are capable of shame or self-awareness. Either way, Lovie is washed as hell, and it’d be a shame if an otherwise excellent career has to end on this sour note. Maybe the most rudderless organization in football, and that’s saying something when you look around the league.

I think Lovie is going to retire at the end of the season. Either because he is actually just too old for this poo poo, or the org pressures him to to clear the way for Josh McCown or whatever dumbass hire. Although the latter seems a little less likely after they finally kicked out Youth Pastor Wormtongue.

I haven't watched a ton of Texans content, because why would you do that to yourself. But in what I've seen, Lovie just looks like he's tired and done with all of it.

The league will be poorer without that beard

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Possibly the only way I can see the Texans surviving the optics of Lovie retiring or getting fired after the season is if they go and make a full court effort to hire DeMeco Ryans. He’s an up and coming coach that a lot of people are talking about with the benefit of having been a really good and popular player for the Texans back in the day.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Staley almost certainly won't be fired, because the Spanoses are cheap assholes and avoid paying out the contracts of coaches who aren't working for the team anymore. His staff almost certainly is going to be gutted though (short of the team winning out and getting into the playoffs, Lombardi is toast and I wouldn't doubt it if Renaldo Hill gets shitcanned from how atrocious the D is. even if it's Staley's specialty) and we're gonna waste another year with him being a lame duck.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I'm going to be positive. If Denver can somehow win 4 of 5 down the stretch here, I think both Paton and Hackett can save their jobs. If Russ starts playing well, I think you almost have to keep them at that point. The Cardinals, Rams and Chargers are all certainly beatable. Just have to beat the Chiefs at home to get this ball rolling.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Simplex posted:

I'm going to be positive. If Denver can somehow win 4 of 5 down the stretch here, I think both Paton and Hackett can save their jobs. If Russ starts playing well, I think you almost have to keep them at that point. The Cardinals, Rams and Chargers are all certainly beatable. Just have to beat the Chiefs at home to get this ball rolling.
Source your quotes, because

Simplex posted:

If Russ starts playing well
lol, lmao

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Hey it's Christmas. I believe in miracles.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Christmas Country

Let's Ride

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
remember when Russell Wilson won the Super Bowl this year? Man that was a cool metaverse memory.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
seahawks country, let's draft!

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dalmuti posted:

seahawks country, let's draft!

At least they have a first again after the Chubb trade, although it's the 49ers' so it'll be a late one. No second rounder at all lol.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

a neat cape posted:

A few weeks ago they were 734th out of 734 defenses since 2000 in regards to yards per carry given up.

Injuries have played a part, but they do not look prepared or ready on a week in and out basis

But I was told at the start of the season that they wouldn't be bad against the run anymore?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MrLogan posted:

But I was told at the start of the season that they wouldn't be bad against the run anymore?

I didn't account for them being the most injured team in the NFL, my bad

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

a neat cape posted:

I didn't account for them being the most injured team in the NFL, my bad

Usually that would be an ok thing to not account for but they're the Chargers man

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
After last night I have a little bit of renewed hope McDaniels makes his way home.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

fartknocker posted:

Possibly the only way I can see the Texans surviving the optics of Lovie retiring or getting fired after the season is if they go and make a full court effort to hire DeMeco Ryans. He’s an up and coming coach that a lot of people are talking about with the benefit of having been a really good and popular player for the Texans back in the day.

do they care about the "optics" though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

Usually that would be an ok thing to not account for but they're the Chargers man

That's fair