Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh is there... no way to get my marksdwarves to carry ammo??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Gosts posted:

so if i have a big warehouse full of booze, but i want to have like, several small dining halls, a tavern or two... how do i make sure people don't have to haul booze 500 miles. several small storage areas for booze in various places? how do i make sure those stay stocked?

In my experience so far, the smaller stockpiles are only getting stocked is if they’re explicitly set to take from the main one, otherwise everything is just staying in the main pile.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
After years of playing this for fres, it's finally time to give Toady money

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012

sebmojo posted:

gang tags all assigned, so pipe up if you want one, and have posted a story (there have been some great ones, keep them coming!)

Story offering for the gang tag

Like many here, it's been a hot minute since I've played DF. Hearing that light aquifiers are pretty easy to deal with some diligence, I set out to settle a volcano. With cold weather.

Things kick off with my cart starting halfway up the mountain, which was a bit annoying as I like to dig my entrance gate at the root of the mountain. A look around the mountain and I find a nice natural crevice to start digging down.

And hit sand.

Ok, no biggie, just dig deeper for my grand 5x1 entrance ramp down into the depths until I hit rock. Six z-levels down and its still sand, only now I hit the aquifier. Suddenly I have ice walls in my dig site, so I start a workshop at my wagon and flatten a smaller mountain top for rock. A short pause in digging to build a stockpile of blocks I start digging out the damp walls and ice to wall off the aquifier. Things go well at the start, until I dig too much at once and the water has enough time to make new ice walls.

Then summer rolls around and work gets alot faster with no ice to deal with. Only the summer heat doesn't last long at all and ice starts to show up again.

And then it happens. A miner digs one square of ice out, steps into the square to mine the next and gets mister Freeze'd instantly. :catstare:

In honor of his sacrifice I dig a tomb for him on the lip of the volcano and carry the work on. I only get a few migrants since I ignored the traders, but workers are workers.

And then I hit caverns.

At first I'm annoyed about it, but after a bit of pondering I notice its actually pretty open and just decide to try making a cave fort. So I check the DF wiki for more info on dealing with aquifiers and discover that smoothing the wall should stop the water. So I do it and start digging down faster. Only that didn't actually stop the water (I think) and I keep getting ice and another miner gets ice cubed and then buried up the mountain.

The ice keeps appearing out of nowhere and I start to get pissed when I notice I've left ice floors extending from the walls into my entrance. So I order my miners to dig stairs up the ice next time so I can dig down to get the whole ice wall out. This turns out to be a terrible mistake, as I lose 2 miners when they dig the stairs up, move into the squre to dig the block above and get instantly frozen. I set my last miner to dig out the frozen miners. He gets frozen.

At this point it's winter, I have not made it to the cavern floor and my last pick just got frozen.

Dwarf Fortress!

Zernach fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 9, 2022

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Friend posted:

While we're discussing farming, if I have designated a farm plot to be one seed but it says I'm out of that seed, if I change it to another will the dwarves waste any seeds they already planted or will they just fill in the remaining squares?

They just fill in the remaining squares

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Thanks, this is very helpful so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i experted a buncha stuff but still not gtting any migrant waves. weird. last few forts were in worse states and had like triple the migrants ive gotten

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Khanstant posted:

i experted a buncha stuff but still not gtting any migrant waves. weird. last few forts were in worse states and had like triple the migrants ive gotten

If all the other dwarves are dead you won't get any migrants.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

So, I wonder if in that little update yesterday, cage traps were changed. On wednesday I set up the standard winding entrance corridor filled with them and broke a couple of goblin sieges. Suddenly as of last night, they're 100% ineffective in this role, except for the goddamn bronze colossus I caught.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
donating this errant gang tag to anyone that requested one, and they can have the lonesome weapon that got carelessly discarded above it as well

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Noticing that dwarves can have multiple lovers now, time to create one giant fortress polycule

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Do you see dwarves shooting crossbows well training? I have my squad hanging out doing "individual combat drills" in my barracks with targets setup but I can't tell if they are actually shooting their crossbows or not.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How do I prevent my dwarfs from cooking my seeds?

Does fish need to be cooked, or will dwarves eat it raw?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bold Robot posted:

Labor menu, kitchen, seeds. If you have lost all of that kind of seed you won't see the option, but I believe if you set it for a seed type, run out, and get more later, it will reappear.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Popete posted:

Do you see dwarves shooting crossbows well training? I have my squad hanging out doing "individual combat drills" in my barracks with targets setup but I can't tell if they are actually shooting their crossbows or not.

Mine are doing that too but they've nothing in their quivers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Len posted:

the guide in the second post is from 2014, is there a more up to date one? i picked up the steam version and it's very overwhelming

Anybody?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bold Robot posted:

Does fish need to be cooked, or will dwarves eat it raw?

There should be a category for seeds in the kitchen submenu of the labor menu, you can turn cooking with it off there. It only lists the seeds that you have though.

Unprocessed fish can't be eaten, processed uncooked fish can be eaten or cooked.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Lmao

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Len posted:

Anybody?
The dwarf fortress wiki is doing a big planned update for 0.5 but there isn't really a "guide"

do the tutorial, ask questions here, strike the earth

Much of what's on DFWiki seems to still be generally valid although the command tutorials are, uh, not.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Popete posted:

Do you see dwarves shooting crossbows well training?

Yes! I have a separate room for archery training and they go in there every once in a while.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

emdash posted:

How do I know when I've found a "cavern level?" I seemingly haven't found any preexisting caves after like 35 levels of digging. I didn't make an island map although I did get placed near a riverbed (no mountains anywhere near) by the tutorial.

keep digging, breaching the caverns is one of the few things deemed so important by Toady that you still get a pause and box popup by default in this version.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Len posted:

Anybody?

I posted a couple videos on the last page that should be enough to get you off the ground. I haven't seen any detailed written guides yet. This has some tips for getting things off the ground, but you'll be on your own pretty quick:

https://www.polygon.com/guides/23488713/dwarf-fortress-first-fortress-basics-guide-help-design-plan-steps

I'd be interested in a written guide as well, though, cause I'm still very green.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

So, burrows in the new version. They don't seem to work quite as well, unless I'm missing things

- How do you paint multiple levels? I'm going up and down Z-levels like how painting stairs work (i.e. painting the z levels, not just x and y) but it only ever seems to paint the one single level, not the up and down

- Do you have to add everyone manually? The default is "no one assigned" which seems like an odd choice since the first use everyone needs a burrow for is an emergency GET INSIDE NOW that applies to the whole fort

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mst4k posted:

Yes! I have a separate room for archery training and they go in there every once in a while.

Do you actually see the bolts being shot at the target? Does it say they "training crossbow" or something? I'm just having trouble figuring out if they are actually shooting anything.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Len posted:

Anybody?

It's going to take a while before the wiki gets a new section for a major release, especially here where so much changed at once, none of it is documented and all the veterans are flying blind trial-and-erroring right alongside the first timers.

This is easily the most sweeping set of changes since the addition of Z-levels

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
How do you meet unmet needs like "fighting" and "family"? I've got a tavern and plenty of booze, plenty of chances to get drunk and start a fight but everyone's nice

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Len posted:

Anybody?

There are a lot floating around steam and twitter right now. I don't feel qualified to recommend any specific one yet.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Nessus posted:

The dwarf fortress wiki is doing a big planned update for 0.5 but there isn't really a "guide"

do the tutorial, ask questions here, strike the earth

Much of what's on DFWiki seems to still be generally valid although the command tutorials are, uh, not.

Yeah, there are a lot of video tutorials out there that you can watch through too.

Although if I might make a suggestion to new players, following a tutorial to the detail is the wrong way to play this game. In many ways its a puzzle box, and watching how things sprawl out backwards in the simulation is a lot of the fun of being a new player. It's better to get a handle on basic gameplay like how to make staircases, and then jump in by saying "I want to do X" and working backwards from there, checking the wiki for specific questions when you get stuck.

In many ways DF is an extremely complex game but that complexity is a lot of the fun of it and it's more capital F Fun to try, fail, and try again.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Instead of a well, I decided that I should construct an underground passage and divert a river down a series of ramps a couple of z levels deeper than my fortress / use a floodgate to create a tiny 3x3 pond in a room in my fortress next to my hospital.

Is there any disadvantage to this over just using a well? I was upset I couldn't make a well larger than 1 tile, and I suppose I could have made multiple wells, but this seemed like a fun first engineering project.

I've gotten the whole thing dug out at this point except for the last tile to connect the passage to the river.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Shoehead posted:

Oh is there... no way to get my marksdwarves to carry ammo??

Do they have quivers?

Popete posted:

Did you designate an archery range, or just the barracks?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Substandard posted:

Instead of a well, I decided that I should construct an underground passage and divert a river down a series of ramps a couple of z levels deeper than my fortress / use a floodgate to create a tiny 3x3 pond in a room in my fortress next to my hospital.

Is there any disadvantage to this over just using a well? I was upset I couldn't make a well larger than 1 tile, and I suppose I could have made multiple wells, but this seemed like a fun first engineering project.

I've gotten the whole thing dug out at this point except for the last tile to connect the passage to the river.
If the river is on the same Z-level as your ultimate pond, you're good.

If it's above the Z-level try it and see :)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah, there are a lot of video tutorials out there that you can watch through too.

Although if I might make a suggestion to new players, following a tutorial to the detail is the wrong way to play this game. In many ways its a puzzle box, and watching how things sprawl out backwards in the simulation is a lot of the fun of being a new player. It's better to get a handle on basic gameplay like how to make staircases, and then jump in by saying "I want to do X" and working backwards from there, checking the wiki for specific questions when you get stuck.

In many ways DF is an extremely complex game but that complexity is a lot of the fun of it and it's more capital F Fun to try, fail, and try again.

Preach. Hell I've been playing off and on since 2007 and still managed to wipe out three consecutive fortresses before their second migrant wave tuesday night.

If I can't figure out why all workshops stopped putting anything back in stockpiles soon it isn't looking great for the 37 citizens of Boltfigures either

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Len posted:

Anybody?

This is honestly why we need another Thread with the new edition. that or to update the OP. sadly it might take awhile to get a good guide of the new edition up, but a lot of the old guide should still apply to the steam version

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Nessus posted:

If the river is on the same Z-level as your ultimate pond, you're good.

If it's above the Z-level try it and see :)

It's above the z-level but the pond itself is like 3 z-layers above the underground river passage and I put in a floodgate so I can manually fill it I think? I'm planning to save before I dig the last tile out though. I just didn't know if well water was inherently better than river/pond water or something.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Popete posted:

Do you actually see the bolts being shot at the target? Does it say they "training crossbow" or something? I'm just having trouble figuring out if they are actually shooting anything.

I’m not sure what it says but you do see the arrows flying across the room.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just found the option to remove the game FPS cap which is 100 by default and now the game is running at 700fps and everything happens so fast it's glorious

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Substandard posted:

It's above the z-level but the pond itself is like 3 z-layers above the underground river passage and I put in a floodgate so I can manually fill it I think? I'm planning to save before I dig the last tile out though. I just didn't know if well water was inherently better than river/pond water or something.
The water won't flow uphill without pumping but it would not be hard to pump it up with either pools along the way or just, like, dwarfs with buckets.

If the water doesn't say Stagnant it's all the same I believe.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

StarkRavingMad posted:

Do they have quivers?

Did you designate an archery range, or just the barracks?

I designated both over top each other. I think my issue is I don't have quivers.

mst4k posted:

I’m not sure what it says but you do see the arrows flying across the room.

Ok then they are definitely not shooting.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

deep dish peat moss posted:

I just found the option to remove the game FPS cap which is 100 by default and now the game is running at 700fps and everything happens so fast it's glorious

Notably different than the visual FPS, if I recall, right? Game FPS is like...the processing rate, and visual FPS is the actual display?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Popete posted:

I designated both over top each other. I think my issue is I don't have quivers.

Ok then they are definitely not shooting.

I can’t quite remember but I think you have to assign the squad to the range as well?