Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
So I shouldn't bother with 1.1.1 because ______ is broken? Legitimacy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Plan R posted:

So I shouldn't bother with 1.1.1 because ______ is broken? Legitimacy?

It's weird, but not broken like industrialist political power was broken in the previous patch.

If you find yourself unable to make a sensible government that has any legitimacy, try putting every interest group in the government. You might find it shakes out to like 53% legitimacy.

Anyone else notice that obligations are kinda toothless? I was playing Two Sicilies and I started a diplomatic play to unify Italy. The war was gonna be against the Papal States, and looked easy, until Russia jumped in on their side. I gave France an obligation to get them on my side, and with their help I unified Italy.

Later, France tried to get me to make a trade agreement with them (or might've been a customs union, I forget) and I said no. The penalties appear to be that France disliked me a bit (but still had very positive relations) and the nebulous "for five years countries will realise you don't value obligations", which is pretty drat cheap for getting a Great Power to defeat another Great Power for you.

Gort fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Dec 9, 2022

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

James Garfield posted:

Has anyone been able to peacefully demand independence? The option is there but I'm a Russian protectorate with twice their GDP and the same power projection and they're still at like -60 to accept it. Russia even has an opinion boost from viewing me as an ally against Great Britain.

I can't promote to unrecognized major power (for the recognition war goal) as a subject and Russia is the only convenient great power, it would be nice not to have to fight two wars to get recognized.

I have successfully peacefully demanded independence from the ottomans as Serbia, but it depends entirely on Russia joining my side.

I then proceeded to slowly take bits of territory at Russia's demand before getting overconfident and starting ww1 several decades early.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Gort posted:

It's weird, but not broken like industrialist political power was broken in the previous patch.

If you find yourself unable to make a sensible government that has any legitimacy, try putting every interest group in the government. You might find it shakes out to like 53% legitimacy.

Anyone else notice that obligations are kinda toothless? I was playing Two Sicilies and I started a diplomatic play to unify Italy. The war was gonna be against the Papal States, and looked easy, until Russia jumped in on their side. I gave France an obligation to get them on my side, and with their help I unified Italy.

Later, France tried to get me to make a trade agreement with them (or might've been a customs union, I forget) and I said no. The penalties appear to be that France disliked me a bit (but still had very positive relations) and the nebulous "for five years countries will realise you don't value obligations", which is pretty drat cheap for getting a Great Power to defeat another Great Power for you.

Toothless in some ways, but in other ways they are hard blocks; for example, unifying Ethiopia can get delayed if you use obligations to keep wars in your favor, as you can't invade someone you owe an obligation to.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The AI vastly overvalues obligations, it's what causes a lot of hellwars early in the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

I feel like the easy fix to obligations would just be to not let anyone turn them down. I haven't been in a situation where I've been forced to take one, I don't think you can sleepwalk into it.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gort posted:

I feel like the easy fix to obligations would just be to not let anyone turn them down. I haven't been in a situation where I've been forced to take one, I don't think you can sleepwalk into it.

You are wrong. (bankrolling produces obligation)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Oh, can you not refuse to be bankrolled? I think I've only had a "take on debt" offer, which was pretty explicitly, "We'll pay off your debt for an obligation" and could be refused.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Dagnabbit! I really want to do a decent Japan run but then you have expel diplomats/damage relations with Russia so maybe I can colonize Hokkaido.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

I fired up a new run with the intention of playing regressive. It's been going ok, but honestly it's... a little dull? It's awful easy, since the Landowners love regressive laws, and they start off powerful anyway. There's not a whole lot to do once you've become an Autocratic Monarchy that reinstated Serfdom and maxed out police.

One of the goals they've stated is making regressive playthroughs more interesting. The devs have noted playing straight Tsarist Russia is boring as hell.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Presumably a Tsarist Russia run starts boring but in the midgame you're constantly getting revolutions as your capitalists gain power.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I am really amused that my country's leader dying is not an event or popup or anything in the log on the bottom right. The Shah of Persia was also a commander so suddenly when gearing up for a war he died with no notification that I could see so I had a panic assigning his brigades to new/promoted generals.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I'm getting so many CTDs since 1.1.1

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I am really amused that my country's leader dying is not an event or popup or anything in the log on the bottom right. The Shah of Persia was also a commander so suddenly when gearing up for a war he died with no notification that I could see so I had a panic assigning his brigades to new/promoted generals.

The notification system is a disaster but Pdox has said its working as intended, so unless they've changed their minds recently, hope you enjoy the flood of minor countries declaring neutrality in Judean People's Front's revolution against the People's Front of Judea.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

I can't say I've ever cared about country leaders dying, but there really need to be a popup for generals dying and all their troops going on bereavement leave.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

ro5s posted:

I can't say I've ever cared about country leaders dying, but there really need to be a popup for generals dying and all their troops going on bereavement leave.

The thing is, most of the time a country leader dying is a non-event, but every so often it REALLY matters, like when they get fascist or vanguardist or something, or they WERE some useful and helpful trait and were replaced by someone without that trait.

But you can't really tell the difference between a useless country leader change or a useful one, so nothing for it but to keep your eagle eyes open and click on every notification as it comes just in case.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I really cared when my beloved and highly effective Prime Minister Sigmund Freud was replaced by someone much shittier and I don't even know when it happened or what happened.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Can you do anything to arrange for a leader, come to that?

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

my first time playing as the uk, i found out victoria had been crowned when i checked the govt screen after seeing a popup in the corner that said "A former politician, William of Hanover, has died"

Thordain
Oct 29, 2011

SNAP INTO A GRIMM JIM!!!
Pillbug
It's definitely frustrating to manage moving all of your armies to the front lines when the notifications keep popping up and blocking the short cuts.

On the subject of game jams I would love to have interest groups on the shortcuts list by default.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Well, I've hit the "Millions of radicals, radicalised by your low legitimacy of 100%" bug. Hopefully that's just numbers rather than the "Capitalists don't do politics, landowners forever" of 1.1

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Elendil004 posted:

If I wanna go just hog wild with colonialism, but just played a USA game so want something smaller...ideas? Netherlands?

This got buried end of last page so asking again sorry!

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

Netherlands is a good one (make sure to annex Belgium early on for their sweet iron/coal, you have cores). Don't take the "Expand East Indies Administration" decision, it's a trap that'll give your new Indonesian colonies to the as-useless-as-every-other-AI Dutch East India Company. Portugal is also in a good position to colonize Africa with its preexisting colonies.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I can safely say there are absolutely still something busted about Legitimacy. This morning I fired up a late game save from my finished Korea run to just see what happened and over 18 months had 5 million people drop from being loyalists and nearly 1 million radicalized despite having between 78-84% legitimacy. I even had an election cycle finish and couldn't get it higher than 84% no matter what combination of parties I tried. Checking the tooltips NONE of them were due to living standard changes so still seems super off.

I also got roped into a war with five total great powers involved and nobody could invade each other as every battle in every front seemed to have the defenders double up the attackers in number regardless of deployed strength so nobody could advance a front.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Gort posted:

Presumably a Tsarist Russia run starts boring but in the midgame you're constantly getting revolutions as your capitalists gain power.

Half of Russia's game is building a metric fuckton of logging camps.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Plan R posted:

Half of the game is building a metric fuckton of logging camps.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Canopus250 posted:

I can safely say there are absolutely still something busted about Legitimacy. This morning I fired up a late game save from my finished Korea run to just see what happened and over 18 months had 5 million people drop from being loyalists and nearly 1 million radicalized despite having between 78-84% legitimacy. I even had an election cycle finish and couldn't get it higher than 84% no matter what combination of parties I tried. Checking the tooltips NONE of them were due to living standard changes so still seems super off.

I also got roped into a war with five total great powers involved and nobody could invade each other as every battle in every front seemed to have the defenders double up the attackers in number regardless of deployed strength so nobody could advance a front.

I left a game at 100% Legitimacy with my radicals climbing at 400k per year and loyalists falling off a cliff due to Legitimacy, it's hosed.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lol, can't they release a single patch without breaking the game?

is the choice really ck3, polished but empty, or vicky 3, broken but fun? can't they fix their qa process? there's obviously something really wrong.

it's sad, vicky 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games of all time. how many months am I going to have to wait until vicky 3 is playable?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Mirello posted:

lol, can't they release a single patch without breaking the game?

is the choice really ck3, polished but empty, or vicky 3, broken but fun? can't they fix their qa process? there's obviously something really wrong.

it's sad, vicky 1 and 2 were some of my favorite games of all time. how many months am I going to have to wait until vicky 3 is playable?

it's playable now, op

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

feller posted:

it's playable now, op

lol, the 1.1.1 patch had to fix an issue where capitalists had no interest in politics, aka the industrial revolution, aka the entire political arc of the entire loving victorian era!

games is just like this, I remember reading the thread for cyberpunk when it came out, it sounds just like this one

"sure there's some bugs, but I'm still having the time of my life!"

have some drat self respect. you paid top dollar for an early access game. I'm glad you can enjoy it, but for me, I'd prefer warfare, politics, and the economy to be working.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i hope victoria 3 is giving people less seizures than cyberpunk

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I get seizures while playing.

... seizures of the means of production!!! haha

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

cyberpunk was giving people seizures/? seems appropriate osmehow

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Elendil004 posted:

As long as you don’t mind having to build your industry from scratch, the United Tribes has some interesting possibilities, given all of Oceania shares a culture group with you so it’s only five years to integrate any of it (and you only need to get to cultural exclusion to stop discrimination against your new pops), including Australia (which you can unify with) and Indonesia with its bounty of resources (which I somehow didn’t realise was in my culture group and in my first game went basically untouched, so I felt like quite the dumbass). I (albeit in a ‘learn the game’ playthrough) was able to get from a literal OPM to having most of the pacific islands under my control and basically as far up in the rankings without getting recognition or becoming independent. I think someone who knows what they’re doing could have some fun with them. I have no idea and I enjoyed myself immensely!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Fuligin posted:

cyberpunk was giving people seizures/? seems appropriate osmehow

Yeah the Stranger Days/Neuromancer memory device you use throughout the game used to have rapidly flashing lights which got patched out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I kept putting off taking this little blue blip of land in Baluchistan from Oman:

I'm putting it off because Austria is the #1 world power and will defend them just to gently caress with me. I have a navy of several dozen ironclads patrolling the coast and an army of 150 modern (for 1884) battalions ready to invade, but every time I try it, Austria manages to instantly transport their entire loving army into that little poo poo port of Oman and they proceed to steamroll me. What am I doing wrong that I cannot take the land before Austria shows up? I mobilize before the war starts and assign the generals to do their thing, but... nothing happens.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Mantis42 posted:

Yeah the Stranger Days/Neuromancer memory device you use throughout the game used to have rapidly flashing lights which got patched out.

When one gaming journalist complained about this some 'fans' sent them images on Twitter which induced an epileptic seizure.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

I kept putting off taking this little blue blip of land in Baluchistan from Oman:

I'm putting it off because Austria is the #1 world power and will defend them just to gently caress with me. I have a navy of several dozen ironclads patrolling the coast and an army of 150 modern (for 1884) battalions ready to invade, but every time I try it, Austria manages to instantly transport their entire loving army into that little poo poo port of Oman and they proceed to steamroll me. What am I doing wrong that I cannot take the land before Austria shows up? I mobilize before the war starts and assign the generals to do their thing, but... nothing happens.

It’s a bit hosed, but patrolling only stops naval invasions - it does NOT stop a perfectly normal transfer of troops to an owned or friendly territory. Also you can’t rush them because that’s the nature of a diplomatic play - the whole process is drawn out enough that unless they leave it very late, all sides involved have time to mobilize and pre-position troops.

However, you can still potentially make your navy do work for you: patrolling might not stop the troops from coming in, but raiding convoys CAN hit the supply ships that’ll feed the enemy army. Set your army on defend to draw out the time it takes for Austria to do anything and to force them to go on the offensive (troops usually have better defensive stats than offensive in Vic3, especially in later time periods) while your fleets raid the gently caress out of nodes tracing the Austrian supply line. The idea is to wear out and starve the Austrians until they’re too broken to resist your counterattack.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Tomn posted:

It’s a bit hosed, but patrolling only stops naval invasions - it does NOT stop a perfectly normal transfer of troops to an owned or friendly territory. Also you can’t rush them because that’s the nature of a diplomatic play - the whole process is drawn out enough that unless they leave it very late, all sides involved have time to mobilize and pre-position troops.

However, you can still potentially make your navy do work for you: patrolling might not stop the troops from coming in, but raiding convoys CAN hit the supply ships that’ll feed the enemy army. Set your army on defend to draw out the time it takes for Austria to do anything and to force them to go on the offensive (troops usually have better defensive stats than offensive in Vic3, especially in later time periods) while your fleets raid the gently caress out of nodes tracing the Austrian supply line. The idea is to wear out and starve the Austrians until they’re too broken to resist your counterattack.

yeah, in many respects this is an ideal situation, you can starve a whole generation of Austrians

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Also make your play when Austria is engaged in another, bigger war.