Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Anno 1800 is back on Steam and it has a steep discount for the game and DLCs.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/916440/Anno_1800/

If managing spinning plates is your thing, or you love coop, this is your game. It has the HOI-style everything is shared coop where you could place a building and someone can delete it. You can play with up to four people and it's amazing how you divide tasks of trade routes, islands, and quest tasks. It's all up to you to divide them and I play this with my wife and two friends and it's great fun. With the DLCs you get 6 different geographical areas to manage from Africa to Arctic and all kinds of population tiers and goods.

It's hard to really explain what Anno is like in a few sentences but if you've tried it before, you know precisely what is so good.

Shamelessly stealing another goon's beautiful city:

physeter posted:

Getting ready to retire this playthrough, and I liked my Crown Falls enough to share it. I've had a canal problem ever since they first released the pack, which is that they looked great and every time I tried to use them I hated what I made. It all just looked out of place and total poo poo. So on this Crown Falls, I painted the majority of the map in solid canal, and then began to build, carving into the canal as if it were grass. Gradually, a city emerged that actually looks like it might have legitimate waterways.

The Grande Canal begins at the Falls themselves, passing the World's Fair on the right and modest investor housing on the left bank.

It proceeds through a mixed neighborhood of engineers, artisans and some manufacturing before flowing to the plain below. All the canal tiles in this metropolis are connected to one another, absolutely every last one. If I could get in a first person boat mode I could paddle all the way from the Falls to the brink of the sea.

Flowing around the Main Botanical Garden, and the walls of the Arctic Museum in the background...

...to at last fill the main basin surrounding the Palace. From there it flows downhill to...

...the main tourist hotel complex and Crown Falls Aquarium.

A random night time shot, the city has hundreds of angles like this.

Time for a restart. Goodnight, watery Crown Falls.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

GD_American posted:

Kojima hits me in that same weird dead spot as Tig Notaro or Sriracha. People whose opinion I generally respect seem to love them, but I don't understand the appeal, like at all.

I have a PS4 so the only things I'd be looking for are games I didn't already have.

I honestly couldn't give a poo poo about any Kojima game except for Death Stranding. Metal Gear series just kind of rubbed me the wrong way, and I avoided Death Stranding until it was on sale on PC because of it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s weird because it’s the most maligned Anno game but I got into 2205 way more than any of the others

The space station building was dumb though. I just referred to a guide to min/max it.

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Welp, guess I'm going back to finish Death Stranding

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If you like space station games and you like being made to suffer for the hubris of thinking you can balance anything, then Ixion is the game for you!

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CainFortea posted:

If you like space station games and you like being made to suffer for the hubris of thinking you can balance anything, then Ixion is the game for you!

Ixion is really good, if brutal. God drat, if you have a handful of critical accidents in core things you need to keep things going you will die. Also, never never never ignore iron production, you need iron and a constant supply of it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Imagine you're trying to drive a giant tesla across the universe and it's being operated by John Deere office workers.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

CainFortea posted:

Imagine you're trying to drive a giant tesla across the universe and it's being operated by John Deere office workers.

ty for specifying the office workers lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainFortea posted:

survival builders are my crack

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Can confirm that Ixion is very cool. Can't thank the devs enough for including the "restart chapter" button.

Awesome soundtrack too, I think from the same guy who did the score for that recent Warhammer 40k Mechanicus game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Soundtrack is very heavily influenced by both Interstellar and Sunshine

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Controversial opinion: Sunshine is better than Interstellar.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

survival builders are my crack

I should have said a Tesla crewed by hundreds of comrade blyatolvs. I've heard stories....

And these people manage to cause explosions in an ant farm

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Correct opinion: Sunshine is better than Interstellar.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yo ixion is really loving good

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Controversial opinion: Sunshine is better than Interstellar.

Sunshine doesn't have John Lithgow.

Also lol. "All or earth's fissile material... twice."

Neither is a bad movie, but both have glaring flaws.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I never watched interstellar based entirely on the whole time travel behind a book shelf thing.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CainFortea posted:

I never watched interstellar based entirely on the whole time travel behind a book shelf thing.

Matt Damon dies in it.

E: you know, if you need a reason to watch it.

Time travel stories are always flawed. Primer was alright considering its budget, but mostly it's a lovely ploy to connect dots.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Interstellar is the only movie I’m aware of that’s a citable source for people in astrophysics. Apparently Christopher Nolan went and got a bunch of actual black hole data, fed it into one of their monster CGI computers, and came up with one of the first renders of an actual black hole…and it nearly matched up with an actual observation that came years later.

https://cerncourier.com/a/building-gargantua/

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/black-hole-image-makes-history

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

gently caress yeah, Choo Choo Charles is out. It's short, it's goofy, and people's mouths don't move, but damnit if I'm not having a great time with this.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Interstellar and Sunshine both own.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sunshine doesn't have John Lithgow.

1983’s Terms of Endearment has quality Lithgow, plus Danny DeVito, confirming they’ve always looked like that (not in a bad way.)

Been playing a Phoenix Wright collection on Switch. Goofy fun, I like how murder trials happen the next day after an arrest, defense and prosecution can remove evidence from crime scenes and hide it from the opposing side until mid-trial, police directly report to prosecutors, it’s great.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

Interstellar is the only movie I’m aware of that’s a citable source for people in astrophysics. Apparently Christopher Nolan went and got a bunch of actual black hole data, fed it into one of their monster CGI computers, and came up with one of the first renders of an actual black hole…and it nearly matched up with an actual observation that came years later.

https://cerncourier.com/a/building-gargantua/

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/news/black-hole-image-makes-history

See, that's cool. I appreciate that. But it's just as cool seeing a couple gifts of it and knowing it happened without having to watch the rest of the movie attached to it.

Also interstellar might have John lithgow, but Sunshine has baby Chris Evans

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A hyper-competent Chris Evans, at that

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

interstellar is prolly my fave movie of the 2010s

i bought a 4k tv and uhd player just for it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah +1 for Interstellar, love that they did actual models rather than a lot of CGI and it showed in the quality.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That's an insanely sick model

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

it's almost def my fave sci fi movie ever

the models and designs are incredible, theres about 10 billion little secrets and easter eggs in everything from the sets to the music itself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss8NVH0rcyE

another fun thing is that the non casey affleck robot was done by the guy who plays mr.noodle on sesame street

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
More games chat: they’re making a sequel to my favorite recent game.

https://youtu.be/l-iHDj3EwdI

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Cyberpunk 2077 expansion due out in 2023 now has Idris Elba onboard as a main character

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrHb2p4YPT0

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Ixion really is pretty cool, just the right amount of hard sci-fi crunch. It's also pretty unforgiving if you trip up in some things early on in the game as you bumble around all of the different interfaces, and I suspect I may not survive this sector.

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 16, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's about on a level with Frostpunk in terms of difficulty imo, but goddamn does it make my brain meat happy

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's about on a level with Frostpunk in terms of difficulty imo, but goddamn does it make my brain meat happy

I loving love it, if you play it right you can make it so you can steamroll the challenges in the game, but if you slip up, you will pay for it with the crew hauling your rear end out of your command capsule and ejecting you into space.

I figured out how to do sector specialization and it's made my second playthrough so much easier than my first bumblefuck that ended with me getting airlocked around mid chapter 3. First playthrough was *terrible* but the second one I feel like I'm invincible because I'm utilizing all of the things I didn't know about in the first run to their maximum ability, and just crushing it. :feelsgood:

I'm sure that something is going to come out of nowhere to slap me and just destroy my playthrough but right now I feel like a king in my run lol.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 16, 2022

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Yeah I figured stuff out on my third run and got everything lined up right. Left the solar system with 800 food because I couldn't be assed to store more of the surplus, 1600 alloy, three unlocked sectors, every cryopod opened, and even a few bonus techs from passive research that were super useful. Waste is the future I say! Free electronics for everyone!

Key for me was go hard on your space sector and loading docks to get poo poo done on the map fast, then building one morale building in each sector and ignoring them when they get whiny about strip mining the solar system too long.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Yeah, ignoring the -1 for taking your time and being space locust prepared is fundamental advice. I'm still on my first run but in sector 3 now, and as paranoid as I've been,
I still wasn't prepared for this.
Having just researched the temple I'm now afraid for what I might do when the day comes. I'm trying to shelter the little ones. I don't want to allow them to shelter me.

IXION is a school book example of when games can be better than movies. Now, it would make a perfect sci-fi movie, but it's even better for letting you be there on the in than watching from the out

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

orange juche posted:

I loving love it, if you play it right you can make it so you can steamroll the challenges in the game, but if you slip up, you will pay for it with the crew hauling your rear end out of your command capsule and ejecting you into space.

I figured out how to do sector specialization and it's made my second playthrough so much easier than my first bumblefuck that ended with me getting airlocked around mid chapter 3. First playthrough was *terrible* but the second one I feel like I'm invincible because I'm utilizing all of the things I didn't know about in the first run to their maximum ability, and just crushing it. :feelsgood:

I'm sure that something is going to come out of nowhere to slap me and just destroy my playthrough but right now I feel like a king in my run lol.

I unlocked the tech that shows you how far along you are to specialization 2 but...I can't find it. It's not in the UI interface anywhere I can see.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I bought Ixion but I’ve been holding off playing it until I can truly focus on it. Sounds like that’s the right move and it’s not a game to play while watching TV.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

orange juche posted:

heh yeah, sector specializations. you'd have to be a complete moron to get this far into the game without having thought of that (laughs nervously)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Nuclear Tourist posted:

heh yeah, sector specializations. you'd have to be a complete moron to get this far into the game without having thought of that (laughs nervously)

Lol I played through LA Noire without using fast travel as I didn’t know it was an option and thought if I let my partner drive I have to sit there and watch him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

"I can't decide whether to play dwarf fortress or Ixion next during my winter vacation", I say as i sink the 80th hour into my latest DSP save.

Covid's been doing a number on my steam hours, even though the most recent phase has had my head so hosed up i couldn't be bothered to even sit in front of a PC screen