Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

The biggest problem here is if you drive her to the GOP entirely, you give a different dem senator the ability to REALLY gently caress things up.

Like oh I don’t know a dem senator from a red state who’s shown they’re just a tacky bitch who loves drama.

Knife her later.

she can't win re-election in 2024 no matter what

look how close AZ elections are, and how despised sinema is. even if you waved a magic wand and had nobody run on the D ticket (never going to happen, and no way to make that happen) and it was just Sinema vs, say, Kari Lake: Sinema loses. she loses badly, because far too many people just despise her and won't vote for her, and Arizona is a state that's close enough you really need enthusiasm to win it.

there's no reason to flip her entirely to the GOP but there's no reason to try to clear the field

also, she's worse than manchin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Honestly her jumping ship to the GOP entirely is in some ways even better than being independent: You're basically back to the 2021 status quo but with Fetterman rather than her, and sore loser laws would preclude her from being a spoiler for Gallego in 2024 if she loses the Republican primary.

Yeah you'd still have Manchin the deal with but you'd need either him or Sinema in a 51-49 Senate anyway

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Rigel posted:

She is in Arizona, which is all that matters. Manchin is immune to getting primaried (and immune to national pressure) specifically because the WV Dems love him. Sinema failed to ensure that she would win a primary at home, or just carelessly assumed people would calm down over time. They didn't, she now apparently has concluded that she will get primaried, so she's doing.... well whatever she ends up doing. I'm hoping she goes away in 2024 and just accepts whatever bag of money she can get as a lobbyist or something.

WV Dems don't really love Manchin - many of them fall to his left - they just recognize he's the last Democrat capable of winning the seat.

Manchin seems to be a little smarter about how he does his maverick shtick. I've seen fawning press on him from various conservative outlets, portraying him as the guardian against the woke anarcho-bidenist far left, that I don't see for Sinema.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I think with Manchin at least you kinda know what he's going to want and how to get him on board but with Sinema you dno't

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mooseontheloose posted:

I think you see an approval rating that starts with a 3, its not that its they approve its just that they haven't been really presented an alternative.

Bush's approval rating hit its lowest at ~24%, so there is a floor and she is close to it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Youth Decay posted:

WV Dems don't really love Manchin - many of them fall to his left - they just recognize he's the last Democrat capable of winning the seat.

Manchin seems to be a little smarter about how he does his maverick shtick. I've seen fawning press on him from various conservative outlets, portraying him as the guardian against the woke anarcho-bidenist far left, that I don't see for Sinema.

He is also a straight white male.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Jarmak posted:

Can someone please explain to me the Leftist ideological underpinnings of saying a young, black, gay women doesn't deserve any sympathy for being locked in labor camp for a decade over some bullshit weed charges?
Besides the one guy who got probed, has anyone said that she deserves no sympathy? (Personally, I'd prefer that athletes not go play in repressive regimes with a history of sportswashing, but Brittney Griner was born and raised in a repressive regime with a history of sportswashing.)

As others have pointed out, there was some pseudo-Marxism going on where an athlete with the same net worth as a successful professional is imagined to be part of the ruling class.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 9, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Arizona's Democratic Party is fully disowning Sinema.

https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1601265635425517569

quote:

He added that her decision could also make it harder for Democrats to carry Arizona on the presidential level again in two years, if she spends two years attacking her party and splintering its successful coalition. “It does make things more difficult for Joe Biden, but I don’t think she cares at all.”

quote:

“She’s trying to eliminate a primary she knew she’d lose,” said a former Sinema aide, who requested anonymity to criticize the senator without fear of retaliation. “Trying to save her rear end.”

quote:

Slugocki rejected the prospect of Democrats backing off and supporting an independent Sinema in a bid to stop Republicans, vowing that Democrats will offer a candidate of their own.

“There is every intention that the Arizona Democratic Party will run a true Democrat in 2024,” he said, adding that he favors Gallego, and that he’s not convinced Sinema will ultimately run. “Some people are guessing she won’t run and that she’ll go straight into being a corporate lobbyist.”

Sounds like Kari Lake does not plan to run for Senate in 2024, but they will likely clear the primary for a different candidate (Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb):

quote:

Already, Arizona Republicans are buzzing about Pinal County Sheriff Mark Lamb running for Senate with the support of gubernatorial candidate Kari Lake, who narrowly lost her race and recently encouraged him to run against Sinema, according to a confidant of hers who detailed the conversation to NBC on condition of anonymity in order to not publicly disclose private conversations.

“Kari is getting lots of calls but she’s pretty disillusioned right now and she likes the sheriff and told him she wants to see him run for senate,” the Lake confidant said. “Lamb is beloved by the base and could really clear a primary field.”

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Madkal posted:

Apparently she has money and is therefore the enemy. At least that is the vibe I got.

Pretty much. She should have been grateful for the money she made here. Why did she need to go abroad and be greedy?

...is how those posts read.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Levitate posted:

I think with Manchin at least you kinda know what he's going to want and how to get him on board but with Sinema you dno't

Yeah, Manchin at least has a set of really hosed up but largely rigid and predictable principles he operates by. Kyrsten Sinema is an insane suicide bomber who doesn't even know if her suicide vest is wired up properly so she's just randomly clicking all the buttons to see what each one does and occasionally blows everything up to the surprise of everyone, herself included.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Besides the one guy who got probed, has anyone said that she deserves no sympathy? (Personally, I'd prefer that athletes not go play in repressive regimes with a history of sportswashing, but Brittany Griner was born and raised in a repressive regime with a history of sportswashing.)

As others have pointed out, there was some pseudo-Marxism going on where an athlete with the same net worth as a successful professional is imagined to be part of the ruling class.

"It’s hard to summon up sympathy for people who make in a few short years much more than most Americans will make over their entire working lifetime."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sinema's theory of power that she is being guided by here, and likely developed in her time as an activist, is that literally nothing else matters as long as the rent seekers and chambers of commerce like you. That they'll make sure you're taken care of and do most of the legwork for you so long as do whatever they tell you. She's been right so far but this is territory where you also at least need the local political power structures to not actually viscerally despise you to the point where they'd risk losing the state entirely just to never have to deal with you again, and that's a knack she seems to lack or doesn't think is important.

edit - I'll say that this is just my best guess based on her behavior. I'm not going to claim special insight into what she's thinking when even people who have known her for decades are as baffled as we are

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

selec posted:

Not random enough to not have powerful people in her corner:

Find me a case where you don’t have powerful, wealthy people supporting you back home and I might be convinced! This is not that case.

Yeah, there's some privilege here, but if your argument depends on "ruling class" being defined as "anyone who knows someone with some amount of wealth or power" I think you might be on some shaky ground there.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Sinema's theory of power that she is being guided by here, and likely developed in her time as an activist, is that literally nothing else matters as long as the rent seekers and chambers of commerce like you. That they'll make sure you're taken care of and do most of the legwork for you so long as do whatever they tell you. She's been right so far but this is territory where you also at least need the local political power structures to not actually viscerally despise you to the point where they'd risk losing the state entirely just to never have to deal with you again, and that's a knack she seems to lack or doesn't think is important.

edit - I'll say that this is just my best guess based on her behavior. I'm not going to claim special insight into what she's thinking when even people who have known her for decades are as baffled as we are

This isn't a terrible take: the idea is she fought for so long against the establishment she became brokebrained, and then when she started running as a Blue Dog a lot of doors opened up to her and validated that belief.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I will say, I remember some really wild articles about how Otto Warmbier got what he deserved. (This was before he was found to be comatose.) I doubt that any of those clickbait demons feel the same way about Griner.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sinema put out an Op-Ed in an Arizona newspaper explaining her decision to leave the party.

Hilariously, Sinema lists eliminating the carried interest loophole as a position that the Democratic Party has "become extreme" on that drove her out of the party. She also lists the Democratic Party's increasingly radical desire to control drug prices in a way that will prevent "robust medical innovation."

I can't understand who that is supposed to be directed at in a PR document. Obviously, it's for her corporate patrons, but it is such a weird political decision in her general PR document for the masses. It's a small part of the overall Op-Ed, but still a baffling inclusion.

She says she can't join the Republican party because they oppose gay marriage and abortion.

quote:

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema: Why I'm registering as an independent

There’s a disconnect between what everyday Americans want and deserve from our politics, and what political parties are offering.

I am privileged to represent Arizonans of all backgrounds and beliefs in the U.S. Senate and am honored to travel to every corner of our state, listening to your concerns and ideas.

While Arizonans don’t all agree on the issues, we are united in our values of hard work, common sense and independence.

We make our own decisions, using our own judgment and lived experiences to form our beliefs. We don’t line up to do what we’re told, automatically subscribe to whatever positions the national political parties dictate or view every issue through labels that divide us.

Each day, Arizonans wake up, work and live alongside people with different views and experiences, usually without even thinking about partisan politics.

Arizonans expect our leaders to follow that example – set aside political games, work together, make progress and then get out of the way so we can build better lives for ourselves and our families.

It’s no surprise that Washington, D.C., often fails to reflect that expectation.

Everyday Americans are increasingly left behind by national parties’ rigid partisanship, which has hardened in recent years. Pressures in both parties pull leaders to the edges, allowing the loudest, most extreme voices to determine their respective parties’ priorities and expecting the rest of us to fall in line.

In catering to the fringes, neither party has demonstrated much tolerance for diversity of thought. Bipartisan compromise is seen as a rarely acceptable last resort, rather than the best way to achieve lasting progress. Payback against the opposition party has replaced thoughtful legislating.

Americans are told that we have only two choices – Democrat or Republican – and that we must subscribe wholesale to policy views the parties hold, views that have been pulled further and further toward the extremes.

Most Arizonans believe this is a false choice, and when I ran for the U.S. House and the Senate, I promised Arizonans something different. I pledged to be independent and work with anyone to achieve lasting results. I committed I would not demonize people I disagreed with, engage in name-calling, or get distracted by political drama.

I promised I would never bend to party pressure, and I would stay focused on solving problems and getting things done for everyday Arizonans. 

My approach is rare in Washington and has upset partisans in both parties. 

It is also an approach that has delivered lasting results for Arizona.

I work proudly with senators in both parties who have similarly rejected political extremes and forged consensus, helping drain some of the poison from today’s politics.

That includes successful laws I was honored to lead rebuilding our country’s critical infrastructure, protecting our economic competitiveness, addressing historic drought to help secure our water future, expanding veterans’ benefits, boosting innovation and small businesses, protecting marriage access for LGBTQ Americans, strengthening mental health care and making our communities safer, more vibrant places in which to live and raise families.

Because we built support in both parties for these solutions, rather than pursuing more extreme party-line policies, these laws are lasting solutions – less likely to be overturned by a next Congress resulting in whipsawing federal policy, greater uncertainty and deeper divisions.

Americans are more united than the national parties would have us believe. We’ve shown that a diverse democracy can still function effectively.

Arizonans – including many registered as Democrats or Republicans – are eager for leaders who focus on common-sense solutions rather than party doctrine.

But if the loudest, most extreme voices continue to drive each party toward the fringes – and if party leaders stay more focused on energizing their bases than delivering for all Americans – these kinds of lasting legislative successes will become rarer.

It’s no wonder a growing number of Americans are registering as independents. In Arizona, that number often outpaces those registered with either national party. 

When politicians are more focused on denying the opposition party a victory than they are on improving Americans’ lives, the people who lose are everyday Americans. 

That’s why I have joined the growing numbers of Arizonans who reject party politics by declaring my independence from the broken partisan system in Washington.

I registered as an Arizona independent. 

Like a lot of Arizonans, I have never fit perfectly in either national party. 

Becoming an independent won’t change my work in the Senate; my service to Arizona remains the same.

Arizonans who’ve supported my work expanding jobs and economic opportunity, or my opposition to tax hikes that would harm our economic competitiveness, should know my focus on these areas will continue.

Arizonans who share my unwavering view that a woman’s health care decision should be between her, her doctor and her family should know that will always remain my position, as will my belief that LGBTQ Americans should not be denied any opportunity because of who they are or who they love.

For those who support my work to secure the southern border, ensure fair and humane treatment for migrants and permanently protect “Dreamers” who are Americans in all but name, those will remain my priorities.

For Arizonans who’ve supported my work to make health care more affordable and accessible, they should know I will continue that work, as I did when I helped negotiate a historic law allowing Medicare to negotiate prescription drug prices while still ensuring robust medical innovation.

But if anyone previously supported me because they believed, contrary to my promise, that I would be a blindly loyal vote for a partisan agenda – or for those who believe our state should be represented by partisans who push divisive, negative politics, regardless of the impact on our state – then there are sure to be others vying for your support.

I offer Arizonans something different.

Some partisans believe they own this Senate seat. 

They don’t. 

 This Senate seat doesn’t belong to Democratic or Republican bosses in Washington. 

It doesn’t belong to one party or the other, and it doesn’t belong to me. 

It belongs to Arizona, which is far too special a place to be defined by extreme partisans and ideologues. 

It’s an honor to represent the state I love so much in the U.S. Senate. And while I do, I pledge to continue doing exactly what I promised – to be an independent voice for Arizona. 

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2022/12/09/sen-kyrsten-sinema-of-arizona-why-im-registering-as-an-independent/69712395007/

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Schumer: "What is it going to take for you to not caucus with the GOP and completely screw us over for 2 years? You just want to keep your committee seats? Fine."

quote:

Senator Sinema informed me of her decision to change her affiliation to Independent. She asked me to keep her committee assignments and I agreed.

Kyrsten is independent; that’s how she’s always been. I believe she’s a good and effective Senator and am looking forward to a productive session in the new Democratic majority Senate.

We will maintain our new majority on committees, exercise our subpoena power, and be able to clear nominees without discharge votes.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jarmak posted:

Can someone please explain to me the Leftist ideological underpinnings of saying a young, black, gay women doesn't deserve any sympathy for being locked in labor camp for a decade over some bullshit weed charges? She's the epitome of a disadvantaged background; a gay black women from a 95%+ minority, 70%+ economically disadvantaged high school. She has managed to acquire wealth principally on the value of her own labor; she doesn't own the any means of production that she's taking the value of other's labor from, she's not part of management, she's a worker.

I fail to see how hating workers for retaining the value of their own labor is leftist, even if that value is very high.

i wouldnt call this a "Leftist" take but i dont care much for her because she's a domestic abuser. Also, i find it hypocritical for US politicians to take issue with her criminal charges considering cannabis is still Schedule I on the federal level and we have US citizens doing life in prison for cannabis possession.

To be clear: she shouldnt have been imprisoned for possession of THC oil. Nobody should be imprisoned for possession of THC or cannabis.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Well, at least that takes the wind out of the sails of the "Bernie's not a real Democrat!" people. (LOL no it doesn't)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, at least that takes the wind out of the sails of the "Bernie's not a real Democrat!" people. (LOL no it doesn't)

Pretty sure the Bernie's not a real Democrat people are very much not the same people who hate Sinema.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Hilariously, Sinema lists eliminating the carried interest loophole as a position that the Democratic Party has "become extreme" on that drove her out of the party. She also lists the Democratic Party's increasingly radical desire to control drug prices in a way that will prevent "robust medical innovation."

It drives me mad how so many right-leaning people oppose funding anything that would reduce health care costs, but then when private pharma companies do anything that smells like capitalism, they suddenly start sounding like a wannabe Bernie Sanders. "They're just trying to get funding! They make so much money off these vaccines!" Well yeah dummy, if you're going to cut off every other way they could be funded...

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sir Lemming posted:

It drives me mad how so many right-leaning people oppose funding anything that would reduce health care costs, but then when private pharma companies do anything that smells like capitalism, they suddenly start sounding like a wannabe Bernie Sanders. "They're just trying to get funding! They make so much money off these vaccines!" Well yeah dummy, if you're going to cut off every other way they could be funded...

It's very dumb, but to be fair to those people, there are a lot of issues that the general public really knows nothing about and there is a strong loss aversion in people's political decisions. They get scared about losing new drugs or taxes, but also get scared about paying an arm and a leg for pharmaceuticals, and never draw a connection between the two.

It's a pretty common thing for people who consider themselves "reasonable moderates" or "not political." Same thing with people who think corporate CEOs are too lightly taxed and greedy, but also don't want to raise corporate taxes because they will force the business to cut costs. Or the people who don't think we should have abortions whenever we want, but we shouldn't ban all abortions, so we should just have a policy of only letting "the right" abortions happen - which functionally prevents a lot of people from getting them.

Unrelated, but we have found the target voting demographic for Sinema:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601286540944343040

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Pretty sure the Bernie's not a real Democrat people are very much not the same people who hate Sinema.

Most of the people I've seen unironically insist Bernie's not a Democrat were explaining why they'll back him, so it depends on whether the statement is taken literally or not.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Unrelated, but we have found the target voting demographic for Sinema:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1601286540944343040

I flat out said she was the female Elon Musk in another conversation this morning, ie: an incredibly stupid person who's fooled themselves and a select group of others, but mostly themselves into thinking they're smart. So I'm glad Elonk just went out and confirmed it for me like that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sinema's former friend and political advisor, who served in the Arizona state House with her, is dropping some personal info and torching her right now:

https://twitter.com/dschapira/status/1601255884142714880

It's very many tweets long, so here's the pasted version:

quote:

I need to scratch an “I told you so” itch. For those who weren’t around or don’t remember, after serving in the AZ legislature together for five years, Kyrsten moved into my district in 2012 to run for Congress in a Dem primary against Andrei Cherny and me.

Kyrsten and I were friends before she jumped into the AZ9 race. We spoke after her decision and committed we would not “go negative” against each other in the campaign. We held a press conference and released a joint statement saying so.

She had nothing to lose because she was the front-runner in early polling w/ her firebrand reputation in progressive circles. Everyone figured I’d have to bring her down with some dirt to pull ahead. But I kept my promise and ran a clean campaign.

Things changed when my grassroots campaign pulled ahead.

In the final months of the race, Kyrsten’s campaign spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on mail to Democratic primary voters with 2 attacks against me:

1. She said I supported John McCain for President over Obama.

2. She said I supported private-school vouchers.

Both claims were ridiculous, and she knew it. I interned for McCain when I was in college, but I was an OG Barack Obama supporter. I INTRODUCED Kyrsten to then-Senator Obama at an event in AZ and begged her to endorse him after her candidate dropped out.

I led a task force to investigate private-school vouchers and was the clearest voice against school privatization throughout our time together in the legislature. I later worked with Arizona SoS to stop voucher expansion and now work to oppose privatization outside of AZ.

Kyrsten broke a promise to me and AZ voters to run a clean campaign. She lied about a friend to win an election. She later apologized and told me she had to do it or she would have lost, as if that made it okay.

And that brings me to the moral of this story...

Kyrsten is the worst kind of hypocrite. Believe it or not, her core beliefs align with the progressive values of the Democrats, BUT there is nothing she won’t say or do to increase her notoriety or importance. She will abandon values and friendships to climb to the top.

As she leaves the political party and the voters who gave her political life, people will say she is crazy or stupid, but those people don’t know her. She is level-headed and brilliant, but she will stop at nothing and step on anyone to get what she wants.

P.S. Call it sour grapes, but it’s all true.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
David sounds thirsty.

Seriously though, what's the point of that venting exercise. Does he think she's going to pull it off?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

nine-gear crow posted:

I flat out said she was the female Elon Musk in another conversation this morning, ie: an incredibly stupid person who's fooled themselves and a select group of others, but mostly themselves into thinking they're smart. So I'm glad Elonk just went out and confirmed it for me like that.

He likes her because they both show up to work in cosplay.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Ruben Gallego tells Punchbowl news that he is putting a team together for a Senate run, but not officially announcing anything just yet.

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1601294332149043200

Congressman Greg Stanton seems to be throwing his hat in the ring along with Ruben Gallego.

https://twitter.com/gregstantonaz/status/1601307744874921984

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

Then why did she switch and why is the Arizona Democrats pissed?

Also, the rotating villains thing is not real.

turns out you don't actually need to coordinate stupidity, human nature is fine without the help of a conspiracy.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sinema got a taste of big money kick back politics and she doesn't want to give it up. She was DOA in a 2024 Dem primary.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Eric Cantonese posted:

David sounds thirsty.

Seriously though, what's the point of that venting exercise. Does he think she's going to pull it off?

Spite?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sinema put out an Op-Ed in an Arizona newspaper explaining her decision to leave the party.

I can't understand who that is supposed to be directed at in a PR document. Obviously, it's for her corporate patrons, but it is such a weird political decision in her general PR document for the masses. It's a small part of the overall Op-Ed, but still a baffling inclusion.

She says she can't join the Republican party because they oppose gay marriage and abortion.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/2022/12/09/sen-kyrsten-sinema-of-arizona-why-im-registering-as-an-independent/69712395007/

Sounds like the classic "fiscal conservative, social liberal" moderate Dem schtick. Dem positions on culture war stuff, GOP positions on taxation and privatization.

Of course, that's just rhetoric. She's bragging about protecting abortion, but she was one of the two votes to block the codification of Roe by refusing to bypass the filibuster.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fuckin liar, that's the only things the dems protect.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think there's a lot of people involved with the party in Arizona who have been holding back on Sinema because that's part of their jobs as elected members of the party.

Apparently the former chair of Maricopa Democrats has some sort of story brewing up too.

I remember during the 2018 Senate primaries, the State party brought in a bunch of people from the national party to help out in Arizona, and they pretty much were all already in the bag for Sinema prior to the primary and while I don't remember the specifics, I think they were either running ads for Sinema or otherwise doing endorsements and fundraising that gave the impression that the state and national parties were playing kingmaker.

I don't know if this is atypical, but in Arizona at least, before the primaries are over, the county and state parties generally are very careful to not make any endorsements of candidates. I think the rare exception is making a statement about goobers like this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Chavez_(perennial_candidate)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think there's a lot of people involved with the party in Arizona who have been holding back on Sinema because that's part of their jobs as elected members of the party.

Apparently the former chair of Maricopa Democrats has some sort of story brewing up too.

I remember during the 2018 Senate primaries, the State party brought in a bunch of people from the national party to help out in Arizona, and they pretty much were all already in the bag for Sinema prior to the primary and while I don't remember the specifics, I think they were either running ads for Sinema or otherwise doing endorsements and fundraising that gave the impression that the state and national parties were playing kingmaker.

I don't know if this is atypical, but in Arizona at least, before the primaries are over, the county and state parties generally are very careful to not make any endorsements of candidates. I think the rare exception is making a statement about goobers like this guy: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesar_Chavez_(perennial_candidate)

The underscore on that url breaks the link and takes you to the actual Cesar Chavez's page and looks like you're calling him a goober.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't think Manchin is "better" than Sinema, and god help us all any time we have to choose between the two. Manchin is as corrupt as any of them, and really reacted poorly in the moment to being confronted with it during the never-ending BBB drama by threatening reporters.

Sinema is unique in how nakedly incompetent at messaging she is. It's just hard to figure out what Sinema's deal is besides stupidity.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Civiqs snap poll from today shows Sinema at 5% approval with Democrats and 25% with independents and Republicans.

https://twitter.com/DrewLinzer/status/1601289169338519552

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
She's going to run for president lol.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1601320987609407489?t=qAe_eIggfj9DYWvNbOOlfA&s=19

Didn't a similar thing happen like last year or something or am I remembering some other environmental disaster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't think Manchin is "better" than Sinema, and god help us all any time we have to choose between the two. Manchin is as corrupt as any of them, and really reacted poorly in the moment to being confronted with it during the never-ending BBB drama by threatening reporters.

Sinema is unique in how nakedly incompetent at messaging she is. It's just hard to figure out what Sinema's deal is besides stupidity.

Yeah, the only real reason to cut Manchin more slack than Sinema is that you can get better Dems than her to win in Arizona (we already have one) but there's really little sign of that in WV after trying both centrists and progressives in high profile elections. That still doesn't make him good. It just means if he fell into a coal mine tomorrow there's as much chance of him returning transformed as Manchin the White than there is of a True Progressive winning his seat.