Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

MikeJF posted:

Pixel 7 Pro/Bellroy Leather Case. Great case. How the gently caress do you take it off.

Does anyone know of something that will let me individually do test records on the separate microphones? I maaaaaaaaaaay have unthinkingly stabbed the top microphone a bit with the sim card removal spike and want to make sure I didn't kill it. Don't judge me it's been a long day.

If the Pixel is constructed like other phones, it won't matter.

JerryRigEverything showed a teardown a year or two ago of either a Samsung phone or an iPhone how the microphone holes lead into a channel that then slants away from the hole before reaching the phone's hardware specifically to prevent damage from people yamming their SIM tool down in there.

Call someone in a public place. If they can hear you, it's fine as the top microphone should be used for background noise filtering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

MikeJF posted:

Pixel 7 Pro/Bellroy Leather Case. Great case. How the gently caress do you take it off.
I peel from the top left corner, if yours shrunk or something you could try neatsfoot oil to soften it maybe, I haven't tried any cleaner or oil yet but I will soon

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
So i use a bluetooth keyboard to type onto my phone (Pixel 4a) while at work. Recently, like within the past few weeks, holding [Shift] while pressing [Space] would still make a space as I type. I wouldn't do it for anything special, but as I type 80-90 WPM, I'll still be holding shift after typing a capital letter and then spacing for the next word.

So, for example, I ended up typing "Iwouldn't" and "Itype" (and Iended, just now). My BT keyboard happens to be around 5 years old so I just thought it was slowly getting worse--alt+tab used to work as well and now it doesn't).

I did just buy a new BT keyboard and I'm realizing that neither alt-tab nor shift+space are working properly either. So I realize rather than a purely hardware issue with the keyboard, it must be with the software/OS.

Does anyone know how to address this somehow? Since these are straight bluetooth devices--no configuration app or anything--i'm not sure how i could change things...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I peel from the top left corner, if yours shrunk or something you could try neatsfoot oil to soften it maybe, I haven't tried any cleaner or oil yet but I will soon

Yeah, top left for me too. I use the camera bar as a point where I can push the phone through.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

A colleague recently got a Pixel 7 and I helped her get the Outlook calendar widget on her home screen. She's saying that sometimes the widget turns into the Outlook app and opens to her mailbox. Anyone ever heard of this?
If it's the widget that's just the calendar icon, then yes, I've seen it randomly open the mailbox when tapped instead. Not frequently, possibly just when the app has updated or something like that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Hot drat. So I traded in both my wife's phone and mine for Google's BF deals.

I bought the 6a for $300 and traded in the 3a for $200 credit on that. Upon review they estimated the 3a at $350 instead of the $200 estimate. So they refunded it all plus an extra $40 to makeup the after tax difference. I literally got paid to upgrade that phone. The phone was in pristine condition still though. She takes great care of her stuff.

Haven't gotten the value on my 6 trade-in yet but it was in equally good condition considering it was brand new.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FYI, after the update you have to enable Clear Calling. It's under "Sound and Vibration."

topenga
Jul 1, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Does anyone know of something that will let me individually do test records on the separate microphones? I maaaaaaaaaaay have unthinkingly stabbed the top microphone a bit with the sim card removal spike and want to make sure I didn't kill it. Don't judge me it's been a long day.

Solidarity. I did the same thing when I got my Pixel 3. It was fine.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ok I actually *didn't* receive higher trade-in value than expected for the Pixel 3a. My dumb butt, coming off a Thanksgiving weekend, swapped the return boxes.

So they just made sure the total trade-in values matched by adjusting each value to be... basically a random value that totaled the correct value.

Nothing to see here!

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Edit: nevermind, double post

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Flipperwaldt posted:

If it's the widget that's just the calendar icon, then yes, I've seen it randomly open the mailbox when tapped instead. Not frequently, possibly just when the app has updated or something like that.

So basically if she opens Outlook proper at any time, then the calendar widget also opens to mailbox. WTF Microsoft?

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
You can try and see if turning off the battery optimization helps.
I'm using outlook for a work profile. I set a calendar on a desktop page. But I can't recall clicking on an entry and not getting my calendar. But I'm pretty fast to forget a click or 2. I do turn off the optimization for outlook specifically.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks! I'll try that.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

About loving time!

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Has anyone received the $100 promo for referring someone to buy a Pixel? I referred someone about 5 weeks ago, and I got an email saying I would be receiving a code for the $100 promo within 4 weeks on the day the order was placed, and I have not yet seen any code.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
This is the patch that let my 7 Pro work with my car :toot:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Deathlove posted:

This is the patch that let my 7 Pro work with my car :toot:

I'm pretty sure this is just an outdated version issue on the Honda side and will never get resolved. I have to gently caress with the AVRCP version to get it to BT to work with my 2016 CRV with 7in screen. I was able to put it at version 1.6 this update. Usually i'm using version 1.3 to get it to work. So maybe you'll get lucky. I do have to unpair-repair each time I change the version. Also sometimes it just comes up blank. I know you've tried messing with it before, but ay. best we get.

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Has anyone received the $100 promo for referring someone to buy a Pixel? I referred someone about 5 weeks ago, and I got an email saying I would be receiving a code for the $100 promo within 4 weeks on the day the order was placed, and I have not yet seen any code.

Someone gave me their code when I ordered my P7 at the beginning of November and I haven't seen anything yet about it being added to my account.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One other nice addition to this feature drop deals with airplane mode. If you turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi or bluetooth back on afterwards (or both), it will remember that setting the next time you turn on airplane mode. It's a small thing, but nice because most of the time you only want to turn mobile data off and not disconnect from watches or wifi.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

bull3964 posted:

One other nice addition to this feature drop deals with airplane mode. If you turn on airplane mode and then turn wifi or bluetooth back on afterwards (or both), it will remember that setting the next time you turn on airplane mode. It's a small thing, but nice because most of the time you only want to turn mobile data off and not disconnect from watches or wifi.

Huh, that's good to know. I'm the opposite, I almost never use airplane mode, but it's nice in case there's an issue I need to deal with. I feel like leaving Wi-Fi or Bluetooth on is something I would forget and be confused about.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
So apparently Google killed the Assistant Driving Mode that itself killed phone-only Android Auto. What do I use for driving mode on P4a now, and can it play my media as well as map functionality?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Tree Reformat posted:

So apparently Google killed the Assistant Driving Mode that itself killed phone-only Android Auto. What do I use for driving mode on P4a now, and can it play my media as well as map functionality?

Not know what that is specifically, I had to look it up.
https://www.engadget.com/google-shutting-down-assistant-driving-mode-081803560.html

Seems like a stand alone mode. Right now, just having Maps up gives you media controls. I don't use it much, but I guess it also does a bunch of stuff with phone calls.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Tree Reformat posted:

Personally, I've been trying out [utl=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bitspice.automate]AutoMate[/url], an app I picked up several years ago, but haven't really put it through its paces recently for anything except handling audio playback.

The Slack Lagoon posted:

I also did so about four weeks ago, and still haven't recieved the credit after the confirmation.

That said, the original email I got from the Pixel Superfans group said:

quote:

Code giver and Code user will receive an email with the promotional code within 8-10 weeks after the end of the promotion. It’s non‑transferable, and not valid for cash or a cash equivalent. Shipping charges may apply at checkout. Void where prohibited.

Ad I read that to mean that the code might be coming in July-August 2023. The Confirmation for the the use of the code seemed to contradict that, though, so I have no idea when to expect it.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

maltesh posted:

Ad I read that to mean that the code might be coming in July-August 2023. The Confirmation for the the use of the code seemed to contradict that, though, so I have no idea when to expect it.

I think you read weeks as months. 8-10 weeks is 2 - 2.5 months

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
The initial email about the Pixel Super fans promotional credit seemed to claim that the promotion would end in June 2023, hence my assumption that the credits wouldn't arrive until late summer/early fall..

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My OnePlus 10T got Android 13 today. I was waiting to see what OxygenOS 13 would bring as it makes the final march to ColorOS. I'm not a fan, so I think this closes the chapter on OnePlus for me once and for all. The super fast charging is great, but everything else is circling the drain.

The biggest issue that I was wondering if they would fix in 13 is the terrible UI scaling, but it's still busted. At defaults, it breaks UI elements of some apps and really lowers information density. If you put everything at the smallest setting, it fixes the broken UI stuff, but it's like 15% smaller than the default for Pixel which just looks weird.

The "Home" quick setting still does nothing, taking me to an app where I can add controls but then that just takes me to an icon for Google Home with an empty drop down so it's just flat out busted.

Home screen folders still open to full screen with apps spaced out as much as possible which is just dumb for a large phone. They had this right on OxygenOS 11 and below, the change is a regression.

It's a battery life champ with cool and quick operation that can be charged in under 20 minutes, but everything else about the experience falls flat now. I just need to sell this off before the 11 Pro comes out so I won't be tempted with trade in fodder. I think at this point if I'm going to forego a Pixel software experience, it has to be with a folding phone (and hopefully even that will not be the case for much longer.)

I do have to give them props for how fast they are delivering Android 13 across the board though. I mean, here we are 1/3rd of the way through December and my two top of the line latest Folding devices on Samsung are still sitting on Android 12 with November update.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

My first $100 code arrived today.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

bull3964 posted:

My first $100 code arrived today.

Just in time for all the promos to go away and the trade ins to be awful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I sideload zoom onto mum and dad's Chromecast I'll have to manually update it regularly myself, correct? That can't be automated?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

For some reason, turning on Clear Calling just absolutely ruins the earpiece quality on my P7P. It's a glitched out garbled mess. Turned it off and all is well.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
I love my Note 9 and do not want to give up on it.. but I am being forced to upgrade due to not pushing security updates to it anymore.. Im suppose to upgrade before the end of the year, which sucks because I know the new phones will be released in February....

What is the best android out right now if I love my Note 9?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

fyallm posted:

I love my Note 9 and do not want to give up on it.. but I am being forced to upgrade due to not pushing security updates to it anymore.. Im suppose to upgrade before the end of the year, which sucks because I know the new phones will be released in February....

What is the best android out right now if I love my Note 9?

Galaxy S22 Ultra is essentially the latest Note. We're literaly weeks away from the S23 Ultra though, which is bound to have some insane launch trade in offers and preorder incentives. If you can hold on just a little bit, I'd get the S23. If you can't wait, then the S22 Ultra will have everything you love from the Note 9 and more.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Desk Lamp posted:

Galaxy S22 Ultra is essentially the latest Note. We're literaly weeks away from the S23 Ultra though, which is bound to have some insane launch trade in offers and preorder incentives. If you can hold on just a little bit, I'd get the S23. If you can't wait, then the S22 Ultra will have everything you love from the Note 9 and more.

When you say weeks do you mean like in December? Or really won't get it till February?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's going to be Feb, but it really should be a big leap from the S22U.

Plus, you are short changing yourself a year of updates if you don't wait for the S23U.

If you need a phone that's got current patches for some reason, figure out a way to get a cheap stopgap device that's still supported.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 10, 2022

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I recently replaced my moto G power (2020) with a Moto G Stylus 5G - yeah I go cheap on phones. I'm underwhelmed by this one though so I'm mulling over returning it.

In the meantime, I've found that if I hit the Play button on a video in an embedded Tweet (in the Awful app, for example), the audio plays but the video is frozen - unless I scroll the page up and down. Any idea what's causing this? It's easy to blame Twitter or the Awful app but I haven't seen any mentions of this issue on the forums at all.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I recently replaced my moto G power (2020) with a Moto G Stylus 5G - yeah I go cheap on phones. I'm underwhelmed by this one though so I'm mulling over returning it.

In the meantime, I've found that if I hit the Play button on a video in an embedded Tweet (in the Awful app, for example), the audio plays but the video is frozen - unless I scroll the page up and down. Any idea what's causing this? It's easy to blame Twitter or the Awful app but I haven't seen any mentions of this issue on the forums at all.

I think it's something Chrome/Webview related. I've got videos that do the same in the Chrome browser but work perfectly in Firefox.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm on a P7P with the 13 update, why don't I see clear calling as an option? I see adaptive sound, but googling tells me that's not the same thing?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Do you actually have the latest security update? May be worth trying to force it to check for one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Mental Hospitality posted:

For some reason, turning on Clear Calling just absolutely ruins the earpiece quality on my P7P. It's a glitched out garbled mess. Turned it off and all is well.

I just experienced this on my Pixel 7. I it sure how this got through basic testing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Honestly, that would be the heading of my Pixel 7 review. The back is so slippery that without a case, it slides right off my horizontal wireless charging pads. How did that make it through testing? Fingerprint recognition is vastly inferior to my 5. How did that make it through? Never mind, I know the answer: someone did flag it, fixing it would have cost money, Google didn't want to spend it.