Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I will win this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Oh no, my chances of winning are decreasing!

Just kidding I would love a good to win.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m winning it and then I’m gonna do an engine swap with my Tesla.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bird with big dick posted:

Makes sense, get a nice reliable Hyundai powertrain in a sedan body without having to wait for the Ionic 6.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3Sj2jJmug8

Sandy spends almost 45 minutes giving Canoo a blowjob.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

THEY AREN'T ENGINES THEY'RE MOTORS. Pretty sure I'm right on this.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

“a machine with moving parts that converts power into motion.”

I dunno man

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I dunno man

Arguably the rotor in the motor is the only moving part, so the plurality of "parts" excludes it.

In other news, Volvo is changing their C40s and XC40s with one motor from FWD to RWD in the 2023 model year.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I dunno man
I believe those are called "Motivators"

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

I believe those are called "Motivators"

We really missed out not using Mr. Burns’ car terminology for EVs. It’s not the gas pedal, it’s the velocitator. The car has regenerative braking, but you can press the deceleratrix to slow down faster.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

We really missed out not using Mr. Burns’ car terminology for EVs. It’s not the gas pedal, it’s the velocitator. The car has regenerative braking, but you can press the deceleratrix to slow down faster.

We haven't been allowed to have retarded timing for a while

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Lexus in development of a manual transmission for electric cars

https://twitter.com/evomagazine/status/1599819892466786307

It's completely fake. There is no transmission and the gear stick does nothing. :bang:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Leapfrogging the competition's "fake exhaust noises on your stereo" feature.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Turning gearheads into audiophiles with magic rocks that cost $6000

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

If they really want a little stick to play with, just give it a solid mechanical clunkiness feel and make it the select for park-neutral-reverse-drive-eco-sport. There, 6 options your fake little mechanical knob can satisfyingly clunk into.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Driver’s Car

Man stick shift obsessed people are so weird

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Saukkis posted:

It's completely fake. There is no transmission and the gear stick does nothing. :bang:

It's perfect

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I recently drove an newish ICE rental (Nissan Rogue) after having driven nothing but my model 3 for the last three months, and it’s insane how the little things add up. Okay need to turn the engine off, take the key out, turn the lights off (why does it beep at me for leaving the lights on? If the car knows about it turn it off rear end in a top hat!), make sure the key is in my hands and then don’t forget to lock the door.

And there’s the gears. Hearing the engine strain at 5500rpm wondering when the gently caress it’s gonna get to 3rd because I’m on a slight incline and this pos 4 banger is geared for 40mpg so it almost refuses to move was maddening.

The like 4” screen in the middle of the dash just felt like an insult.
I know, I’m comparing the bottom of the barrel ice against an ev twice the price, but it really put into perspective how loving nice modern EV’s are!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Most of those things have nothing to do with ICE vs EV though.

Go jump into a Leaf and all the behaviour with lights, keys, engine start/stop buttons will be the same as the Rogue.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nuts and Gum posted:

I recently drove an newish ICE rental (Nissan Rogue) after having driven nothing but my model 3 for the last three months, and it’s insane how the little things add up. Okay need to turn the engine off, take the key out, turn the lights off (why does it beep at me for leaving the lights on? If the car knows about it turn it off rear end in a top hat!), make sure the key is in my hands and then don’t forget to lock the door.

And there’s the gears. Hearing the engine strain at 5500rpm wondering when the gently caress it’s gonna get to 3rd because I’m on a slight incline and this pos 4 banger is geared for 40mpg so it almost refuses to move was maddening.

I know, I’m comparing the bottom of the barrel ice against an ev twice the price, but it really put into perspective how loving nice modern EV’s are!

the Rogue is safer, for you and for your passengers (esp rear seat passengers), and for other people around you

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Ok Comboomer posted:

the Rogue is safer, for you and for your passengers (esp rear seat passengers), and for other people around you

I was a danger on the road with that rogue since it’s a huge slow boat that accelerates on its own and requires the use of two pedals!

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
My previous vehicle was a Nissan Altima and it wasn't really that bad. I gave it to my sister and recently drove it across the country when I helped her move (although a couple months ago it was totalled in an accident, RIP), it really wasn't bad compared to a Model 3. It had push button start so you only needed the key fob to be in your pocket so turning it on and off was the simple push of the brake and tap a button, the headlights turned on and off automatically, and the door lock/unlock was a simple and easy button press on the exterior handle. Tesla takes most of that one tiny step further but it isn't a huge difference. Sure it was less powerful or responsive than a freaking Model 3 Performance, but it wasn't horribly underpowered because it was a modest 3000 pound midsize sedan instead of some obnoxiously huge and heavy "crossover" with the same engine like a rogue.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yeah god forbid it would be the 3,450 lb rogue instead of the svelte and lean 3,244 lb altima :v:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

This is why EVs are still a luxury product in a lot of ways. None of this stuff matters to regular people. Oh no the engine is revving lol.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Replace the regen pads with a stick and give them like 10 levels instead of the 3 or 4 currently available. That should scratch the manual itch.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ok Comboomer posted:

No it isn’t.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Safer is such a relative term, who's to say whether it's more or less safe that the rear doors can't be opened during an emergency?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

QuarkJets posted:

Safer is such a relative term, who's to say whether it's more or less safe that the rear doors can't be opened during an emergency?

Also not true.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/model3/en_jo/GUID-7A32EC01-A17E-42CC-A15B-2E0A39FD07AB.html

quote:

Model 3 doors are electrically powered. To open a front door in the unlikely situation when Model 3 has no power, pull up the manual door release located in front of the window switches.

Note:
Only the front doors are equipped with a manual door release.

:thunkher:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You said they can’t be opened during an emergency. The rear doors can be opened normally in nearly all emergencies because nearly all emergencies don’t result in loss of 12v power.

Safety ratings are determined by testing and data, not speculation.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Tom Guycot posted:

If they really want a little stick to play with, just give it a solid mechanical clunkiness feel and make it the select for park-neutral-reverse-drive-eco-sport. There, 6 options your fake little mechanical knob can satisfyingly clunk into.

No no no no no no no
That's not a manual (:huh:)
That's an automatic (:qq:)

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Russian Bear posted:

This is why EVs are still a luxury product in a lot of ways. None of this stuff matters to regular people. Oh no the engine is revving lol.

Mmm yes regular people. :shuckyes:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Driver’s Car

Man stick shift obsessed people are so weird

forumban this guy

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Nuts and Gum posted:

Mmm yes regular people. :shuckyes:

All the bs you’re complaining about isn’t even present on new cars that aren’t bottom barrel rental stripped models.

But your post reads like one of those commercials on late night TV that’s selling a useless product because “do you struggle with a [simple task]?”

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

My wife has a 2020 Rogue, and this drives me nuts too. Not just because it has a hard time picking a gear, but because the shifts are fake. The Rogue has a CVT. It could be smooth the entire time, and it’s just not, and I don’t understand why.

Anecdotally, that’s been the biggest selling point for EVs among friends who have ridden with me and are now considering an electric car: the completely smooth (and silent, unlike a CVT) acceleration from any speed to any other speed.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Russian Bear posted:

All the bs you’re complaining about isn’t even present on new cars that aren’t bottom barrel rental stripped models.

But your post reads like one of those commercials on late night TV that’s selling a useless product because “do you struggle with a [simple task]?”

That’s sort of my point, modern ev’s come with this poo poo built in, ICE cars gate it behind premium ‘tech’ bundles.

Why are you so angry I find these little modern luxuries add up to a good user experience? What would you rather discuss, here in the dedicated EV thread?

I guess if you aren’t angry at Teslas you aren’t supposed to post here.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Nuts and Gum posted:

I guess if you aren’t angry at Teslas you aren’t supposed to post here.

Maybe we should separate the “poo poo on Tesla and FSD” topic (the latter half of which is especially valid) into its own thread? That way the EV thread can be about EVs, which Tesla makes reasonably good examples of, instead of EVs plus ol’ Musky’s computer taxi woes.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I never mentioned Tesla?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sonic Dude posted:

Maybe we should separate the “poo poo on Tesla and FSD” topic (the latter half of which is especially valid) into its own thread? That way the EV thread can be about EVs, which Tesla makes reasonably good examples of, instead of EVs plus ol’ Musky’s computer taxi woes.

Hard pass, you'd just wind up with 2 threads posting about all of the same things. Tesla and FSD discussions tend to be pretty short and are not distracting from other EV topics, of which there are still many

This conversation wasn't even about Tesla, Nuts and Gum just dropped that out of nowhere. Having a separate Tesla thread wouldn't have changed that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The poo poo on Tesla thread is called Terrible Car Stuff

Otherwise peace be with you no matter your EV ITT