Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

FizFashizzle posted:

Could it be his rib injury?

Nahhhhhhh

Do people just assume he's healed now.

This thing takes like 6 months to heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
There is a wide chasm between Herbert and Baker

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Chargers should draft a WR because Keenan Allen is cooked. Also there are no good FA WRs this year.

Yikes you’re not kidding. The biggest names I see are like Juju and Allen Lazard and then some olds like Julio or Jarvis Landry.

RB is pretty stacked but lol if you wanna be the GM that cuts Josh Jacobs a $30 million check

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Chargers should draft a WR because Keenan Allen is cooked. Also there are no good FA WRs this year.

Apparently you can trade for pretty good WRs in their prime for a sixth round pick (yes i am still mad the Jets didn't make that move for Amari Cooper)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

fsif posted:

Herbert's rookie year was one of the best I've ever seen and he was very much in that Mahomes/Allen/Burrow conversation last year. Baker's highs were never this high and he's also had more bad seasons than good ones.

Well yes that’s my entire point. People are just retreating to his past rather than dealing with the player he is now. Could he recover? Sure but I don’t think the excuses are as ironclad reasoning as people have convinced themselves

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nodoze posted:

There is a wide chasm between Herbert and Baker

Yes but with enough moxie I think Herbert can get there!

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

Apparently you can trade for pretty good WRs in their prime for a sixth round pick (yes i am still mad the Jets didn't make that move for Amari Cooper)
It seems silly to still be mad at it. Like I'm sure we all would have traded #10 overall for Deebo Samuel at the time and given him $25m per year but honestly having Garrett Wilson is probably going to be a much better value going forward.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is funny because I think whether someone likes a player factors in. Hence why Herbert gets every excuse under the sun while Baker under similar circumstances gets nothing.

One is assumed good, one bad and nothing else matters

Baker’s performance has been notably worse than Herbert’s, even if you consider the situations equivalent (I think baker had a better setup in Cleveland and much worse in Carolina). I don’t think Herbert really needs an “excused for being…decent but unspectacular

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well yes that’s my entire point. People are just retreating to his past rather than dealing with the player he is now. Could he recover? Sure but I don’t think the excuses are as ironclad reasoning as people have convinced themselves

The player he is now is fine though. Even with the injury he’s been good, just not as good as last year. He’s still a top 10 QB.

Edit: He’s 4th in yards, 8th in TDs, has a 66% completion rate, a 1.3% Int rate….he’s not Mahomes or Allen, but you’d still take him over all but maybe a half dozen guys.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 9, 2022

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Diva Cupcake posted:

It seems silly to still be mad at it. Like I'm sure we all would have traded #10 overall for Deebo Samuel at the time and given him $25m per year but honestly having Garrett Wilson is probably going to be a much better value going forward.

I'm not talking about Deebo though? I don't care at all about him, big difference between trading for a player with a 1st and with a 6th.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

CharlestheHammer posted:

It is funny because I think whether someone likes a player factors in. Hence why Herbert gets every excuse under the sun while Baker under similar circumstances gets nothing.

to be clear people are calling this a down year from herbert and he's going to meet or exceed baker's best year. they're not comparable. herbert is legit, even on a "down" season, a top 10 qb.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

Baker didn’t look like he could complete the route tree in Carolina.

Part of me thinks he’s just dumb as bricks and needs a coach who knows how to work with a blithering idiot. They mentioned that on the broadcast last night.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

sirtommygunn posted:

I'm not talking about Deebo though? I don't care at all about him, big difference between trading for a player with a 1st and with a 6th.
It's all related. If they traded for Amari Cooper and his $20m contract, they don't draft Garrett Wilson and they likely don't get the same FA haul, which would suck.

In a vacuum Amari Cooper for a 6th is a steal though.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I also think as excuses for QBs go, "he has no receivers" is a really valid one.

You have any idea what Allen would look like if Gabe Davis was his top receiver? If Burrow didn't have Chase and Higgins? Tua without Hill and Waddle? Mahomes without Kelce? Look at how Rodgers's numbers have dipped without Adams.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

fsif posted:

I also think as excuses for QBs go, "he has no receivers" is a really valid one.

You have any idea what Allen would look like if Gabe Davis was his top receiver? If Burrow didn't have Chase and Higgins? Tua without Hill and Waddle? Mahomes without Kelce? Look at how Rodgers's numbers have dipped without Adams.

Tua without Waddle and Hill, and McDaniel, was literally bordering on being out of a job

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Herbert is the only QB in the league with multiple $20m per year WRs*.

*They're injured and old.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

Herbert is the only QB in the league with multiple $20m per year WRs*.

*They're injured and old.

Money is a bad way to judge how good weapons are, cause the Patriots have a lot of money tied up in WR/TE and well..

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Didn't Baker set a lot of rookie QB records that were then broken by Herbert?

They have different personalities for sure, but both are also in similar positions (in that they have had garbage coaching for most of their NFL careers). Baker's had several more years to prove he can't will a franchise into winning, but then there's only like two or three QBs in any given season that can do that. He, and possibly Herbert (though I think Herbert is the better QB who's hampered by team injuries, a bad OC, and being on the Chargers in general), are mid-tier QBs who need a good coach and team to really shine, and will look like rear end otherwise.

In conclusion, Baker Mayfield is Jared Goff.

e: I think Justin Herbert will be Phillip Rivers. A great and promising QB who never finds success mostly because of the team he's on. Which, hey, it's not a bad gig if you don't mind not getting a ring.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
At some point, the rib injury doesn't matter. He's deemed healthy enough to play and I'm sure even he wouldn't use it as an excuse. If you say you can play, then you are judged as if you are healthy. This is true regardless of position or hype. Not even saying it's fair, but there isn't going to be an asterisk next to his stats or team record.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I mean the thing is that Herbert's not even playing poorly. So much of Tanier's dumb take is built around the premise that Herbert's performance is somewhere between Marcus Mariota's and Daniel Jones's because that's what DYAR says (which also has Goff as the league's third best QB).

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Why do people keep posting like Herbert is having a bad season just because the Chargers are middling? He’s been fine. They’re 14th in the league in points per game and 31st in rush yards. Insofar as the offense works at all it’s because Herbert is carrying it. They’d be historically bad if they had Baker-on-the-Panthers level QB play.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 9, 2022

Mega64
May 23, 2008

He's having a bad season in comparison to the high expectations on him. Which is mostly not his fault but more the terrible offensive schemes and the usual dozens of injuries the Chargers have.

More nuanced takes like that have no business on Twitter though so

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Why do people keep posting like Herbert is having a bad season just because the Chargers are middling? He’s been fine. They’re 14th in the league in points per game and 31st in rush yards. Insofar as the offense works at all it’s because Herbert is carrying it. They’d be historically bad if they had Baker-on-the-Panthers level QB play.
He's a victim of the Chargers preseason hype. Until this season went to poo poo you'd have been hard pressed to find any NFL analyst that thought the Chargers would be in danger of missing the postseason. Just count how many times he's mentioned in this one.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/9/7/23339547/nfl-preseason-predictions-2022-justin-herbert-justin-jefferson-bills

Not to mention this one..
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/8/31/23329391/justin-herbert-mental-processing-los-angeles-chargers

quote:

Herbert’s lore will soon spread to the masses. Playing in the AFC West, the league’s toughest division, he’ll have quite the platform to prove himself in 2022.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Woozie66 posted:

He's deemed healthy enough to play

By the chargers medical staff? I had no idea it was that bad.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Baker is who everyone thought JFF was going to be.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Why do people keep posting like Herbert is having a bad season just because the Chargers are middling?

I would bet fantasy football is a big reason. Both among fans and media.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah Herbie has willed DeAndre Carter into being somewhat relevant WR for the first time as a 29 year old, and Gerald Everett is having a career year.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

I agree that this is a factor. Herbie went 2nd overall in a Superflex redraft league I'm in because the guy bought into the hype.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

it's fun to see the collective NFL fan brain (that thinks anyone not currently putting up top 3 QB stats paired with perpetual winning records is a bad QB) has now turned on a still very good young QB being dragged down from great by a bad team and lingering injury

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Nfl fans more mad at Herbert for not having a perfect season than watson for assaulting 2 dozen women.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I was kinda leading the cheerleading for Panthers to get, start and stick with Baker but with the exception of the Browns game the light just never came on. He fed a bunch of different receivers every time he suited up but targeting Moore like once a game and Anderson like twice a game was just downright weird. Especially when PJ Walker and Darnold trot out and Moore suddenly starts having massive games.

Panthers pass protection and offensive line in general are no longer bad, they're actually sneaky good now. Despite some lapses here and there Ekwonu is a legit NFL left tackle, the free agent pick ups at guard and center have paid dividends and Moton is a stud. The line is absolutely fine. McAdoo isn't an amazing offensive coordinator but it's a little difficult to describe him as terrible as well. He's downright middling and working without a wholly effective QB room.

I still like Baker and if McVay can scheme around his deficiencies then fine and dandy for him and his career but I think I agree that something isn't right. He's either dumb as poo poo and needs the McVay madden affect like Goff had or his mechanics were off, or something because in Carolina he never once looked like he did in the playoff game he had against the Steelers for instance he never seemed to throw guys open and he simply didn't seem to have that velocity to really drive the middle out routes.

Would have been cool as poo poo if he came to Carolina and put up competitive numbers - if nothing else just for the pain the Browns would be in.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That’s a huge reason the collective conversation around Justin Fields changed from enormo-bust to Justin has figured it all out within a month. Fantasy points.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
if you play fantasy football it should be illegal to talk about it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

It is funny that the Bears sold out for a rebuild just as Fields finally started getting poo poo together.

Well it's very funny because Fields looks legit yet the Bears keep losing so they'll still get a high draft pick while keeping their potentially best QB in franchise history. If Eberflus can keep everything together the Bears could very well be a huge threat next year, especially in an NFC North where the Packers are on a decline, the Vikings are the Vikings, and the Lions are the Lions.

e:

Waifu Radia posted:

if you play fantasy football it should be illegal to talk about it

Pretty sure that's a rule in this forum, for obvious reasons.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mega64 posted:

It is funny that the Bears sold out for a rebuild just as Fields finally started getting poo poo together.

Well it's very funny because Fields looks legit yet the Bears keep losing so they'll still get a high draft pick while keeping their potentially best QB in franchise history. If Eberflus can keep everything together the Bears could very well be a huge threat next year, especially in an NFC North where the Packers are on a decline, the Vikings are the Vikings, and the Lions are the Lions.

e:

Pretty sure that's a rule in this forum, for obvious reasons.

The Bears have like 4 NFL players on the roster, it's going to take more than one year.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fields is incredible. The most fluid running qb since Vick.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/RNBWCV/status/1601338514591088640

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Now I really want to see a Ravens/Raiders game.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Broncos aren't even on the first list lol just lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I checked their 3 victories, they had 6, 3 and 7 points at halftime.

.... Huh, in most of their losses they had 9+ points at halftime.

Broncos don't score more then a TD in the first half then you'll win more games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The seven teams missing are the Broncos, Texans, Colts, Jets, Giants, Falcons, and Bears.

Sounds about right!