Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

At the end of the video the artist noted how these towers full of utterly spoiled babies are surrounded by homeless people. How every time one of these abominations springs up it permanently cuts off daylight for a certain section of the population below, leaving them in perpetual shadow.
They'll eventually be filled in with poured concrete and used as the foundation of the spires, while the undercity is left to warring gangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unfortunately the flag is probably worth more to the player than an actual rare item they might encounter someone else wearing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mebh posted:

rarity is wrong

:saddowns:

Mebh
May 10, 2010

You'll aways have an awesome rarity IMO!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All craftspostership is of the highest quality, it menaces with spikes of wrestling knowledge.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

That reminds me of something else that's been baffling me lately. It seems mad how much people gamble. If I'm in the queue at the kiosk in a supermarket more often than not there's someone in front of me just spending like, 15 quid or more on scratchcards and lottery tickets. And it's just crazy. Surely if you spend that much you must see that you keep losing it. I get that gambling addiction is a thing but that's a significant amount of money. loving garbage society that has people that desperate to get out of it that it has them spending money that would actually make a difference on a hopeless bid to get out of it.

Makes me think of all those scumbag labour MPs in bed with the gambling lobbyists. Not enough rope in the world to right the misery they bring.

A lot of people I work with gamble. There's one guy I work with semi-regularly who will put on six or seven bets in a ten hour shift, every shift. He bets so much that it put his mortgage up when he went to get one. One of the lads in my gang always bets on the footie but instead of putting a bet on a match he always does an accumulator as he wants to win more than £1,000 or he says it's not worth it. It's crazy how much they pump into gambling.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I want to do actionable content on whoever though up "acca" as an abbreviation.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the sequel to abba

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Money, Money, Money (Does Your Mother Know That You're Out)

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
The lottery is wonderful because it's a form of state sanctioned escapism that people can use as a cudgel against the very people indulging in it. "Maybe you'd be able to afford a house if you didn't waste all your money on gambling!" I say smugly, one unexpected expense away from complete destitution.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Michael Carroll was a national hero imo

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

To be honest most developers don't realise this either. The number of times I get asked by a quest designer or producer something like "oh but we need a rarity 3 reward" or "can we use that for the quest? Its rarity is wrong" and i just change a single variable and they act like i did a witchcraft.

Its entirely a made up construct just like money and even scarcity is entirely a made up notion.

So you have the uber rare mega armour of the angels? Cool so do 50 thousand other players. You just have a matchmaking flag that means you never randomly enter a hub with them so you feel more special.

Anyone who doubts this has never played on a MMO private server and watched an admin ingame and in action. All your purps mean nothing because with a single keystroke they can kill everyone in sight or spawn so many of the end boss the server crashes.

There's something to be said about playing the Souls games. When you can beat the entire game naked at level 1 with a rusty spoon you can truly say you have achieved something special.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do people actually think the items in the game are materially scarce or do they understand on an implicit level that on the enforced continuity of the main servers, they are difficult to acquire?

Cos yeah I used to play neverwinter nights and you can make a +10 sword of ultimate kill everything in the editor and give yourself a dozen of them, but you can't take them onto closed servers.

Or like, GTA, you can cheat in whatever but people still grind the poo poo out of the game to get things "legit" (or buy shark cards)

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's one thing to have enforced scarcity for an ingame item which you only obtain through effort like grinding endgame drops in WoW.

It's another thing when scarcity is a measure of how much you've paid the loot fairy to let you open boxes. One is at least a measure of some dedication/skill. The other is a measure of how little sense of self control you have.

I would specify this relates to digital commodities since those exist completely at the sufferance of whatever entity owns the game. Stuff like Magic cards at least have a physical presence and won't magically disappear from your collection if Wizards dies.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eh, I might see it more as whether you would rather do tedious stuff in a videogame or tedious stuff at work in exchange for your videogame status :v:

I'm not a big fan of either to be honest, I think both are ultimately not very good for people being happy because they demand a very high price for the amount of satisfaction they offer and both are ultimately rooted in getting you to give the game people more money.

I watched the recent dan olson video about WoW and it really leaves the taste in your mouth that the whole social element of the game is geared around enforcing participation in the monetized ecosystem.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 9, 2022

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I see what you mean but I would think most people would to a degree find hitting imaginary monsters in a game somewhat more enjoyable than work. The escapism means something as well even if it is ultimately hollow.

Because if you actually enjoy your work what are you playing games for?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Depends on the game, I've definitely played games that I ultimately realized were less fun than work, a source of aggravation but ones I still felt compelled to stick at. Work doesn't emotionally engage me so I will stop doing it as soon as possible, if it annoys me I will try to avoid doing it. But games (and other things, I would argue a lot of people seem to develop a relationship to social media or the news that is also like this) work very hard to emotionally engage you even as they mostly actually give you frustration. And this is likely by design because engagement means more opportunity to sell you things. I think this is especially true of the couple of F2P games I've dabbled with, and is why I stopped playing them and now will not play any F2P games at all because I think this is endemic to the model.

It isn't that work is fun, it's that games don't have to be fun if you can instead make them coercively addictive via creating systems to entrap the player and encourage them to spend more time and money with it because they have already spent time and money with it, and I think social elements can be weaponized to that end just as, if not occasionally more effectively than other elements. And it is escapism in the sense that it isn't real, but what you are doing is escaping to a tiny little microcosm of the worst elements of real life, but with more particle effects slapped on.

Obviously it's subjective, there are things I like in games that other people would find pointlessly frustrating, hell some of the things I like in games I previously found frustrating until they clicked for me, or I still find them frustrating in different games. But I do strongly think that some games consciously understand that they don't actually need to be fun to be engaging and to make money, and that they deliberately cultivate their experience around that. The F2P model I think especially tries to make the early free stage appealing, but then as you progress upwards it gets less rewarding, but encourages you to spend money to progress, utilziing that previous banked time investment as a sunk cost and the steady ramping of progression requirements to boil your frog until you reach whatever point where you feel like spending money would be worth it, ideally with the hope of getting you to spend as much as possible because all spending that initial sum does is move you up to a higher point on the ladder where there is an opportunity to spend more, and there is no realistic hope of topping out everything you could spend money on.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 9, 2022

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

OwlFancier :eightbux: out of context posted:

games don't have to be fun

...aaaaand we're back to st*r c*tizen again!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

...aaaaand we're back to st*r c*tizen again!

I mean, yeah honestly I think that's a really good example, the social environment of that game seems really hosed, as close to a cult as I think I've seen, and there isn't even a game hardly, it trades on the idea of a game and getting in on the ground floor of a new big thing. A lot like crypto in that respect. And as I think started the whole tangent, a lot like society in general, yeah it sucks for almost everyone but if you get lucky and work hard you can be the one on top and it'll be great for you...

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
That's why you should play Elden Ring and get your balls stomped on repeatedly by a giant rotting woman wielding a katana.

Until you find a naked comrade with a pot on his head to come help you that is.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Z the IVth posted:

get your balls stomped on repeatedly by a giant rotting woman wielding a katana.

:frogon:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I do need to get elden ring at some point, was going to wait and see if it goes on decent sale at xmas.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Widely regarded as the hardest boss in a game renowned for having very hard bosses.

Then a bright spark started a gimmick called "Let me solo her" and she turned into a meme.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I actually hit her second phase on my first go with the mimic tear in tow, but Waterfowl Dance is just a wall that I couldn't get past solo. I've seen in footage that you can dodge through it, but I am damned if I can get the timing down on any single part of it.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I stomped my way through that game til i got to Melania and then churned as I entirely didn't understand how to call for help from other players and just didn't want to learn her perfectly myself.

Now I'm brainlessly grinding for a Mankey with the right stats in Pokemon because I am a dumb man.

On the systems designed to entrap players. They're called dark patterns and they're pretty much universally frowned upon by all but the most scummy f2p companies. Usually mobile.

There's so many layers to monetization and ethics though. Where you get lumped in with diablo immortal if you have any way to spend real money in the game, unless you have years of good will and trust built up like Path of Exile for example.

I wrote ethical guidelines for our project at the start, basically 100% transparency, no fear of missing out, no limited time pressure offers, anything you can buy, you can spend time to earn, no intentionally grindy balancing for non payers. Generally as fair as possible with super strict parental controls and a pocket money allowance system.

Publisher comes in after agreeing to all this years ago and has a new guy who basically says "nope" need "chase" items that are exclusive and all sorts of price trap combination gacha bullshit because it makes more money.

Yeah mate it does. But this game is for 12 year olds. Please gently caress off.

No?

gently caress.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just play vampire survivors imo, the game with one button

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
london can go gently caress itself

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

london can go gently caress itself

finally a good post.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

This but Football Manager

The button is the left mouse button. (The World Cup has gotten me back in on this game. It is such a time sink)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

forkboy84 posted:

The button is the left mouse button. (The World Cup has gotten me back in on this game. It is such a time sink)

more games would benefit from a 'go on holiday indefinitely' option

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kecske posted:

more games would benefit from a 'go on holiday indefinitely' option

It'd get me to play a From software game if I could start and immediately "go on holiday" & sim until I'd completed it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Or like, GTA, you can cheat in whatever but people still grind the poo poo out of the game to get things "legit" (or buy shark cards)
I still have 33 billion from the (hideously named) dead hooker glitch from a few years ago. But every time I log in I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing any more, so I switch to a solo server, drive around, log out and uninstall. I imagine this is what being rich is like, except you can't log out.

kecske posted:

Exclusive MTX to change to button to the limited time only fortnite tie-in.

Capitalism uhh... finds a way.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

OwlFancier posted:

Depends on the game, I've definitely played games that I ultimately realized were less fun than work, a source of aggravation but ones I still felt compelled to stick at.

I mean aren’t you very good at X4? Which is the paradigmatic “IRL people get paid for doing this poo poo” game. (I enjoy it too)

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

forkboy84 posted:

Who needs buttons? Play Getting Over It With Bennett Foddy, and the game presses your buttons instead.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

forkboy84 posted:

Football Manager is a spacebar simulator.

I'm slowly trudging along with my King's Lynn save, but I've watched too many YouTube videos and trying to play properly is really boring.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I woke up to a small dusting of snow. I haven't had that for years.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beefeater1980 posted:

I mean aren’t you very good at X4? Which is the paradigmatic “IRL people get paid for doing this poo poo” game. (I enjoy it too)

X4 is actually very relaxing for me, because mostly you just throw ships at station managers and they sort it all out for you. I get to spend my time designing pretty space stations and blinging out my stupidly expensive personal space racecar. Also I came from X3 which was far, far more frustrating management wise, X4 is a dream of convenience by comparison :v:

It's really the F2P stuff that's my abiding memory of annoying. Mostly I've gotten good at guessing what I will and won't enjoy but I played wold of warships and war thunder for a while and really formed the view of F2P from that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Dec 10, 2022

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
You guys and your fancy games. I'm just hanging around on a PvE DayZ server helping freshies to not die. It's very soothing.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Biggus Dickus posted:

You guys and your fancy games. I'm just hanging around on a PvE DayZ server helping freshies to not die. It's very soothing.

That was a lot of fun back in the day, building a bus and making a giant party/rescue wagon then running out of fuel and having a grand last stand on the airfield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Mebh posted:

That was a lot of fun back in the day, building a bus and making a giant party/rescue wagon then running out of fuel and having a grand last stand on the airfield.

I was a bit nervous about buying it originally because it looked so difficult, but once you come to terms with being one-shotted and having to start from scratch, it's OK. I wouldn't describe it as fun, but it still has its moments.