Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I mean, all this talk about The Office, I get it, but the show was also very good at hammering away that these people (chiefly Michael Scott) were very wrong for their offensive jokes, and they always made a point of showing the other characters die inside as they endured that behavior.

Friends although could definitely not get made today the way it was. Aside from the lack of diverse casting with an almost entirely white cast, even with minor roles and guest stars with few exceptions, the show was actually pretty homophobic, despite presenting itself as progressive in that regard.

There were gay jokes in pretty much every single episode of the entirety of its run, almost all at the expense at Chandler and sometimes Joey or Ross if they had any physical contact with each other, or the lesbians. Not to mention Chandler's dad who they could never quite decide whether they were a drag queen or a trans woman, I think the writers didn't actually quite know what the difference was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
At the very least the Friends creator Marta Kauffman said she regrets misgendering Chander's dad so the character is supposed to be trans.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
100% The Office could get made today as is. As said above the show pointed out the stupidity of what Michael was saying and the humor was from the absurdity and the other characters reactions.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's fine, it's like the opposite of a heist movie. There are a few good performances and it's well constructed, just kind of unremarkable. There's Amy Adams sideboob, but on the downside there's also Louis CK. It's like a solid B-.

on the other hand, the fact that he's in it gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zbeZLCbJ10

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?

Nihonniboku posted:

I mean, all this talk about The Office, I get it, but the show was also very good at hammering away that these people (chiefly Michael Scott) were very wrong for their offensive jokes, and they always made a point of showing the other characters die inside as they endured that behavior.

They showed him looking foolish and being the butt of the joke many times, but he was generally saved or sheltered from major consequences by the same colleagues he humiliates. Listening to the creators talk, they didn't want to make Michael Scott a David Brent, someone who was uniformly odious, so particularly at the beginning they made his character 90% awful but with that 10% of pitiful/pathetic that made you (and the other characters) feel bad for him.

I think, like most sitcoms of a given era, there are parts of The Office that don't age well and there are plot points that are unrealistic in the real world, and that's fine by me--the cult around the show can get annoying but I still enjoy having it on in the background, and on the offensive scale it rates pretty low. But I do think the bumbling, socially inept white guy boss who regularly harasses his employees but is also protected by them because aw shucks, he doesn't know any better would get more scrutiny today.

JaneError fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 7, 2022

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
imo the office has always been one of those icons of incredibly cringe white culture like Hillary Clinton trying to dougie or Hamilton or Joe Biden going on Parks and Recs while everybody does the stupid open face smile thing from those reddit cartoons

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I've always hated Michael and its the reason why I never got into the Office from the jump.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

imo the office has always been one of those icons of incredibly cringe white culture like Hillary Clinton trying to dougie or Hamilton or Joe Biden going on Parks and Recs while everybody does the stupid open face smile thing from those reddit cartoons

I don’t think it’s quite that bad but it’s definitely adjacent. a lot of fans acknowledge the shows flaws

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah everything else I listed is definitely more poison to the soul 100x but I kinda put it together in the same realm of the accursed farang

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Papercut posted:

Outside of diversity day, the most offensive the office gets is some cringe "ew gross, a gay man" jokes that definitely wouldn't be made today but also are a far cry from ace Ventura or anything like that

Nah there was plenty of stuff like this, even at the time it was offensive but it was understood that we were laughing at Michael, not with him. However I don’t even think you could get away with portraying a character like this today:

https://youtu.be/gMVtMrB9Fco

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I’m still trying to parse what they were trying to say with Steve carrels not Matt lauer character in the morning show

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

smackfu posted:

It was kind of a wide release for that, 700 theaters. That’s like a typical indie release, just a lot shorter and with no possible expansion.

Maybe it was contractual with Rian Johnson?

There is no mystery here, Netflix has always wanted to release big expensive movies like this, because as others have said it gets them more money. The (almost) wide release is because the theatre chains finally agreed to do it, which they didn’t in the past because Netflix didn’t want to report grosses. However the pandemic kind of changed things when the big chains let other studios block grosses.

If Glass Onion does well and Netflix sees the subscriber numbers they want out of it, there could easily be more releases like this, which would also help attract directors who want their movies on the big screen.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m still trying to parse what they were trying to say with Steve carrels not Matt lauer character in the morning show

I haven't made it to the end of that yet (I'm at the scene where It appears Not Matt Lauer may have driven off a cliff in Italy?).

But there were definitely times where I couldn't tell if they were trying to make me sympathetic with him and it's extremely uncomfortable.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Basebf555 posted:

Yea I think the issue with the Cruise character is they went out of their way to show he's Jewish, which I guess was supposed to more specifically reference Weinstein but if that was lost on you then the character becomes offensive.

He was supposed to be Scott Rudin, the same producer Swimming with Sharks was modeled after, not Harvey. 15 years ago the entire industry was still blowing smoke up Harvey's rear end.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nate fisher posted:

100% The Office could get made today as is. As said above the show pointed out the stupidity of what Michael was saying and the humor was from the absurdity and the other characters reactions.

Yeah I mean this whole notion that "twitter would just destroy X" is, coincidentally enough, only ever spread on twitter by people who use twitter a lot :thunkher:

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

He was supposed to be Scott Rudin, the same producer Swimming with Sharks was modeled after, not Harvey. 15 years ago the entire industry was still blowing smoke up Harvey's rear end.

Harvey in Entourage is pretty directly supposed to be Harvey Weinstein. But if I remember correctly he didn't really think it portrayed him in a negative light.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Weinstein's reputation was complicated even before his sexual predation was public. Like, he was a bully, he would throw his weight around, he was boosting independent films but he would happily recut them and reshape them to his liking* (Gangs of New York is the biggest example, we'll never see what Scorcese's original cut may have looked like I expect.) But filmmakers would still work with the Weinsteins because they did at least seem to want to make movies, unlike most studio executives who were/are appointed from different divisions and may or may not know anything about film whatsoever. You could at least engage with them on those terms. Obviously you have specific filmmakers like Smith and Tarantino who felt a sense of loyalty because Harvey got their careers going but I think even they knew you could only trust him so far.

Like nobody was really surprised when the accusations came out, it made total sense that a dickbag like that would be especially lovely to women. Even if you had somehow never heard anything, like, yeah.

*In the service of absolute fairness it must be said that in one case, yeah the movie Clerks would not have been improved by Dante and Randall being shot dead at the end.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Harvey Weinstein wanted cuts to Princes Mononoke, which should have raised alarms.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know a guy who has a handful of official Hollywood credits going back to the 80s and did a lot of uncredited script doctoring through the 90s. Weinstein came up incidentally once, like more than a decade before before #metoo, dude spent several minutes going off about how much of a terrible piece of poo poo he was, and capped it off with "and if any women you care about end up meeting him, make drat sure they know to never be alone with him." Everybody had an idea of what he did, even if not specifics.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

On the subject of pulled sunny episodes literally no one called for their heads. It was the streaming services trying to do something while the blm protests were happening so instead of donating to causes or making people more aware of the horrible poo poo the police do they just pulled some episodes from a few shows.

Progress!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

CelticPredator posted:

On the subject of pulled sunny episodes literally no one called for their heads. It was the streaming services trying to do something while the blm protests were happening so instead of donating to causes or making people more aware of the horrible poo poo the police do they just pulled some episodes from a few shows.

Progress!

Yeah and nobody wants to be the one to say "Hey let's put the blackface episodes back up" even if probably nobody would care.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna say it because those were also my favorite episodes. Both lethal weapons and especially Dee Day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Prz7que9MT4

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah those episodes are great

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna say it because those were also my favorite episodes. Both lethal weapons and especially Dee Day.

Oscar Wilde would love this.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Watched The Stranger on Netflix and good loving god the scene with IVE GOT A BLACK LAKE IN MY EYE is gonna stick in my brain forever.

I also watched the Nightingale recently and between the two, Australian directors might be undefeated when it comes to terrifying dream sequences.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

CelticPredator posted:

The lethal weapon episode is fuckin hilarious

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Baron von Eevl posted:

I know a guy who has a handful of official Hollywood credits going back to the 80s and did a lot of uncredited script doctoring through the 90s. Weinstein came up incidentally once, like more than a decade before before #metoo, dude spent several minutes going off about how much of a terrible piece of poo poo he was, and capped it off with "and if any women you care about end up meeting him, make drat sure they know to never be alone with him." Everybody had an idea of what he did, even if not specifics.

To be clear, I wasn't saying people didn't know, they absolutely did and did nothing beyond warning their friends.

Ending the play nice, don't rock the boat and just don't go to solo meetings with them mindset that pervades all corporate cultures was supposedly the main goal of #metoo.

My point was that up until Farrow's article he was still viewed as a mostly untouchable kingmaker that the industry loved to appease. Just watch the clip of him being serenaded at the Tony's a few months before the article dropped.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

CelticPredator posted:

I like that they had the guts to make yet another Lethal Weapon episode after the earlier ones had already been pulled from streaming and still made it funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjeFDK3ZlYE

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Starks posted:

Watched The Stranger on Netflix and good loving god the scene with IVE GOT A BLACK LAKE IN MY EYE is gonna stick in my brain forever.

Which one?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Bullet train was cool

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
Just finished The English, a six episode revisionist Western miniseries on amazon prime. I loving loved how hard this show leaned into throwing insane bit parts at incredible character actors. (Ciarán Hinds is the episode 1 bad guy.). Lead actor Emily Blunt is pretty good, her co-lead Chaske Spencer is fantastic. Unfortunately there's a bunch of contractually-required prestige television flashbacks and ponderous voice-overs in the middle. All in all, pretty great.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Finished The sinner season 4 on netflix. Overall I thought it s pretty great, I liked it better than season two and three.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Captain Jesus posted:

I was stoked for Evening with Beverly Luff Lin after watching the Greasy Strangler, but somehow, despite the great cast, the movie didn't click with me at all. Something about it just doesn't work. I think the director's style works better with less familiar, weirder actors (like in Greasy Strangler). The movie is full of strange characters that are played mostly straight for some reason. I wouldn't say it's outright bad, but it's surprisingly bland.

So I ended up watching this and I thought it was good, but I can see how most people wouldn't like it. It had this kind of hypnotic quality to it. I thought that Emile Hirsch, Jermaine Clement, and Craig Robinson were playing weird characters on purpose, when the movie called for actors who could be weird and make it look natural. Despite being bigger names, Aubrey Plaza and Matt Berry are experts in that craft. It probably would have been a lot better if those other three main characters were replaced by the actors who played the minor characters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kingtheninja posted:

Finished The sinner season 4 on netflix. Overall I thought it s pretty great, I liked it better than season two and three.

What's the targectory of that show? I watched season 1 and only vaguely remember it but I remember it being sort of ok. Like, Jessica Biel was a murderer who forgot about it or something? Anyways, is it an anthology type thing ala true detective or a continuation of the story?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

veni veni veni posted:

What's the targectory of that show? I watched season 1 and only vaguely remember it but I remember it being sort of ok. Like, Jessica Biel was a murderer who forgot about it or something? Anyways, is it an anthology type thing ala true detective or a continuation of the story?

Each season is it's own story. There's some continuity but nothing crazy and only one recurring character other then Pullman from 3 to 4.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I had to quit when Bill Pullman started sleeping in graves

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Watched Spirited last night on Apple TV.

Kinda surprised me. I enjoyed it. A nice new take on the story. Could have been about 25 minutes shorter and the songs in the last third were a bit weak. But it ends strong and I'm a sucker for a good reprise.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want to go out on a limb and say that by 2032 all streaming services will be operating on a "pay every 4 weeks" model rather than monthly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Jesus, what an ending to White Lotus. Season 1 was great, season 2 was better.