Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lemniscate Blue posted:

In some versions of the old story, Eve was Adam's third wife. Originally the first man and first woman were two parts of the same whole being, joined back-to-back with two faces, four arms, four legs. This was not great for conversation and companionship among other things, so they were then divided into two individuals - Adam and Lilith, male and female.*

Lilith, created as an equal part of humanity, refused to be subservient to Adam in all sorts of ways but it's specified that she particularly didn't like banging in the missionary position all the time - she wanted to ride cowgirl, which Adam refused to do because he wanted to be The Man. So she called him a whiny manchild and bailed on the Garden, going out into the wilderness and becoming a figure of legend, demonized by subsequent mythology.

Adam started blubbering to God about being lonely, so God sent three angels to bring Lilith back (which didn't work, because she just laughed in their faces). Next God pulled a rib from Adam's chest and formed it into a second wife with bones, blood, organs, skin, hair, etc. This was apparently a pretty disgusting process because it totally grossed Adam out and he couldn't look at her without remembering what he'd seen and gagging. That was a total boner-killer and he refused to go near her. It's not mentioned what happened to her. She's never named, and it's possible she was returned to dust (seems harsh) or allowed, like Lilith, to go out into the world out of Eden.

God rolled His eyes and tried the rib thing again, but this time putting Adam to sleep so he wouldn't see the sausage get made. This worked, and since Adam was made first and Eve made from him she was willing to go along with his fragile masculinity nonsense and they were happy. The rest of the story proceeds as written.

* this is first recorded from about the 8th century and is probably some kind of alchemical allegory - alchemy was super mystical and some branches were way into the idea of achieving perfection by rejoining the male and female halves of humanity into one perfect ascended being.

Oh man I loved that issue of Sandman too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
lol at mythology.

also given the whole "made in god's image" thing I like to imagine God was currently morphed in the "joined back-to-back with two faces, four arms, four legs" form.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I always took that in a more figurative sense. God is the Creator and because we are made in his image we are creators as well.

Hence, I find Chimps heretical.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

christmas boots posted:

Hence, I find Chimps heretical.

They say such nice things about you, though.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Lol, locks. My angle grinder says otherwise.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/AsimCP/status/1600913603280113664

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

PhazonLink posted:

lol at mythology.

also given the whole "made in god's image" thing I like to imagine God was currently morphed in the "joined back-to-back with two faces, four arms, four legs" form.

If man was made in god's image, does god have a butthole? What does he use it for?

I'm kind of curious how a christian would answer this, but it's a bit too rude for me to ever ask one.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

In the Bible god doesn’t create eve until it’s noticed that Adam is lonely. Uhh did this ineffable omnipotent supreme being just FORGET to create women until Adam said something?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

In the Bible god doesn’t create eve until it’s noticed that Adam is lonely. Uhh did this ineffable omnipotent supreme being just FORGET to create women until Adam said something?

More like oldfaithless

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

OP's the idiot. The paper is fine actually.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Patrick Spens posted:

OP's the idiot. The paper is fine actually.

The abstract doesn't do a great job of defining the term (because that's not actually the point of it, it's not speaking to an audience that needs that off the bat), but I'm guessing it's about essentially 'culturally Islamic' people who are generally raised in that context and carry a lot of the more social customs but aren't practicing Muslims?

If that's it, it makes complete sense. There's plenty of people who are like that with Christianity, of course people are like that with other faiths that are that pervasive in other parts of the world.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah, uhh, this garden of endless delights is fine and all, but it's a real sausage fest.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Cleretic posted:

The abstract doesn't do a great job of defining the term (because that's not actually the point of it, it's not speaking to an audience that needs that off the bat), but I'm guessing it's about essentially 'culturally Islamic' people who are generally raised in that context and carry a lot of the more social customs but aren't practicing Muslims?

If that's it, it makes complete sense. There's plenty of people who are like that with Christianity, of course people are like that with other faiths that are that pervasive in other parts of the world.

Not exactly, it's about studying non-Muslim conceptions of Islam, and then how those conceptions go on to influence Muslims. E.g. how prejudice in European societies can lead to Muslim children of immigrants becoming more devout than their parents.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Nebrilos posted:

If man was made in god's image, does god have a butthole? What does he use it for?

I'm kind of curious how a christian would answer this, but it's a bit too rude for me to ever ask one.

God has a butthole but He only shits when He chooses to and and they're always those really satisfying shits, the ones where you feel really emptied out and clean after.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

god has a butthole for anal. it turns out he’s been gay all this time.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

maybe we can trick misogynists into safe sex

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Spread hair? Does this person want a woman without a part in their hair somehow?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Coolness Averted posted:

Number three is extra wild, because a jealous dumbass could easily use it both ways: "She turns her phone off around me? Oh, so who is gonna call/text that she's worried I might see? OTHER GUYS?!" vs "She keeps her phone on around me? Oh, so who else is she trying to keep in contact with instead of devoting all her attention to me? OTHER GUYS?!" :tinfoil:

"If she lives alone"? What the gently caress?

Push El Burrito posted:

Spread hair? Does this person want a woman without a part in their hair somehow?

My brain read it as "split" hair, like split-dye hair.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What?!

Like, if anything, this could only possibly apply to bullshit groups like the Nation of Islam, right?

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 06:14 on Dec 10, 2022

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Patrick Spens posted:

Not exactly, it's about studying non-Muslim conceptions of Islam, and then how those conceptions go on to influence Muslims. E.g. how prejudice in European societies can lead to Muslim children of immigrants becoming more devout than their parents.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Patrick Spens posted:

OK, I mean yes this is true, but there's a far better and more natural term for this phenomenon: "outsider conceptions of Islam". Because from what I vaguely remember, there's no such thing as non-Muslim Islam because that's like claiming there's non-Christian Christianity.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Push El Burrito posted:

A woman with slicked-back hair is too powerful for these nerds.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

A woman with slicked-back hair is too powerful for these nerds.

What about when my sister pretends to put her hair up in a ponytail? And enjoys it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Coolness Averted posted:

I can already hear the retort:

Condoms are causing immunity debt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

OK, I mean yes this is true, but there's a far better and more natural term for this phenomenon: "outsider conceptions of Islam". Because from what I vaguely remember, there's no such thing as non-Muslim Islam because that's like claiming there's non-Christian Christianity.

Yeah, it's a very academic thing where the author clearly thinks they're being incredibly smart and efficient with their terminology while clearly having not talked to any real person about it at all.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

lol eat poo poo deves

https://twitter.com/deves_katherine/status/1600657877542522882

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

You're describing prosperity gospel.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
https://twitter.com/YvonneSnoddy/status/1601326479014445056?t=VwuuivN9r8NjtoJXi-Au4A&s=19

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Coolness Averted posted:

So calculating this I'm sitting at 21 condoms right now, but I'm sure the rest of you can do better!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cloacamazing! posted:

So calculating this I'm sitting at 21 condoms right now, but I'm sure the rest of you can do better!

My favorite 21 pilots cover band!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Is each tattoo a multiplier for condoms, or is it a flat one condom rate no matter how many tattoos you have? I drink a ton, but I hate beer, so what's the formula for that? :science: So many questions!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Read After Burning posted:

Is each tattoo a multiplier for condoms, or is it a flat one condom rate no matter how many tattoos you have? I drink a ton, but I hate beer, so what's the formula for that? :science: So many questions!

It depends on how masculine the drink is considered by this weirdo. If it's something they'd be embarrassed to order, you're probably in the clear.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8x9x10x11x12x13x14x15x16x17x18x19x20x21 condoms

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Biplane posted:

1x2x3x4x5x6x7x8x9x10x11x12x13x14x15x16x17x18x19x20x21 condoms

Gonna need to be careful, you might flip back to 0 or -1 condoms with a multiplier like that

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Each criterion doubles the number of condoms, so if she qualifies under all of them, you need a mass of condoms approximately equivalent to one of the larger asteroids.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

It's always nice to see bands you loved 20 years ago are still cool.

https://twitter.com/jetfury/status/1600760397648330752?s=20&t=JUVFO9F1JaTEINUh4PbepA

Mega Comrade has a new favorite as of 09:38 on Dec 10, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I was assuming it was talking about non-muslim conceptions of islam, like prevailing trends in how islam is stereotyped from outside?

E: beaten but validated, woo.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

Platystemon posted:

Each criterion doubles the number of condoms, so if she qualifies under all of them, you need a mass of condoms approximately equivalent to one of the larger asteroids.

Can't be too careful

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coolness Averted posted:

If you're in the business of selling that theatre, you'd probably get mad at someone breaking keyfabe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Coolness Averted posted:

Gonna need to be careful, you might flip back to 0 or -1 condoms with a multiplier like that
So like removing some kind of existing protective covering ohno