Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

AradoBalanga posted:

Probably because people were expecting something like a grenade launcher that you can point and shoot to quickly delete enemies. And they found that no, it does not work like that and you have to think about how you use the mine thrower. In other words, the same pitfall everyone runs into with the TMP, expecting the gun to behave in one way when the best usage comes from operating the gun in a different way.

Using it as a grenade launcher works fairly well - you put the dart exactly where you want it, it blows up a second later and takes out the entire group. The big pitfall is that people try to use the mine thrower darts as, well, mines. And trying to use it that way sucks horribly.

The best use for it is exploiting the extremely high damage and pinpoint accuracy to stick the darts into boss weakpoints. There's a number of strong enemies that can be effectively one-shot this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.
If I remember right the rifle is amazing at dealing with the shield guys because it pierces. Aiming right above the iron band you can shoot clean through the shield and headshot the guy behind it. It's been a while though, so my memory may be off.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hopefully the remake will have a silly mode where new game + gives you an even bigger attache case that Leon wears on his back and can swing around like it's the coffin from Gungrave

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I very much enjoyed one-shotting enemies with packages I was holding in Death Stranding, I'm on board with this for Leon

e: Also you can throw the suitcase, but everything falls out of it so you have get to methodically repack it every time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I very much enjoyed one-shotting enemies with packages I was holding in Death Stranding, I'm on board with this for Leon

e: Also you can throw the suitcase, but everything falls out of it so you have get to methodically repack it every time

I hope nothing gets left on the cutting room floor. I want those harpoons from the salamander fight to be an infinite use weapon that can pin people to walls.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

In all the time I've played RE4 I have never seen the garrador freak out like that.

Anyways yeah you can get a ton of money for doing the shooting range but how precise you need to be is a bit unreasonable, especially on a controller.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Another thing about the Garrador is that after you hit its weak point, it will always cheat the angle so that it’s facing you and you won’t be able to hit the weak point easily a second time. It even does that if you try to flank around it while it’s in its hurt animation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The shooting gallery is definitely a big point where the aiming controls feel most noticeably finicky, the acceleration and finescale movement feel off compared to newer games. I'll usually play a few rounds in it on a runthrough, but I don't think I've bothered clearing the whole thing aside from the Wii motion control version.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Timing the grenade toss so one of the zealots landed on the explosion was amazing.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Had my mind locked on a project that goes up tomorrow, so I forgot it was RE4 day!

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

More behind-the-scenes stuff, since Novistadors are a great example of it:

Resident Evil 4 has many systems built to help prevent the player from being attacked unfairly. One of them is that, if an enemy attacks from off-screen, they are less likely to hit you. You can exploit this by running past Novistadors and tilting the camera away from them when they're doing their swipe attack on the ground. Though it's less notable at 60fps because AI decision-making is attached to game ticks, and therefore they're twice as likely to hit you.

I guess it's also worth pointing out that you can just hold X/A/Left Mouse to attack with any weapon - that includes the knife and semi-automatic weapons like the pistol and shotgun. This also extends to melee attacks, where if you're knifing at an enemy's feet, you can keep holding Attack while they fall to their knees to automatically suplex. The one exception to this is the unlockable PLR Laser which is the only weapon in the game that has a charge attack.

A quick addendum about the notorious Red Zealot! When the cutscene first plays showing the zealot in the room with the turret, there's an invisible wall that prevents you from attacking him immediately. Except that was added in subsequent ports. On GameCube, you can shoot him right away - but nothing can kill him in one hit, except a headshot with the Bolt Action Rifle's exclusive upgrade, which is the most powerful non-explosive weapon in the game. Back when I used to speedrun NewGame+ on GameCube, I always kept a fully upgraded BAR in my inventory (with one round chambered to skip the post-attack animation) specifically for that room.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 9, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
The trick is getting the most money out of that ritual room is to use a flash grenade. You can jump across that first chandelier without alerting them to your presence (unless you fall off), and the other side of that jump is programmed to make you jump off the ledge rather than back onto the chandelier. So you cross over, turn around, drop a flash bang into the crowd, jump down to their level, and run for the exit that they normally use to escape. This causes that door to close, trapping everybody in the room where you can just waste them at your leisure.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have never seen Novistadors freak out like that before. Truly, ladders are the greatest enemy of mutated insect monsters.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I usually forget about it ahead of time, but I think the Novistador intro and some of their other sections are definitely some of the bits where the game gets legitimately creepy. Love that weird bug music too.

With regards to Action Leon, I know some of his goofier one liners tie back to earlier dialogue, just in ways that are a bit odd enough to make them seem random at first. But I've never figured out if there's something "rain or shine, you're going down!" relates too, I don't know if I'm missing something, it was something lost in translation, or if it really is just a non sequitur.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The wavy graphics of the water in the video kept making think that the Novistador is right there.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

What always interested me here is that Leon not only knew Ada was alive, but also had some idea of what she'd been up to since her apparent death in Raccoon City. One of the places where it feels like an entire game is missing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Gnoman posted:

What always interested me here is that Leon not only knew Ada was alive, but also had some idea of what she'd been up to since her apparent death in Raccoon City. One of the places where it feels like an entire game is missing.

The RE4 remake will most likely clear things up, so Leon re-meeting Ada should be an actual surprise.

NullBlack
Oct 29, 2011

I'm as confused as you are.

Maybe Ramon Saladbar wasn't kidding when he said he let them out for exercise?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

NullBlack posted:

:allears:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

NullBlack posted:

AAAA I love it! And so does Travis (off-site)! Your art style is so cute! I feel like I forgot to mention I loved the Ashley you did earlier too

PS: I did a thing unrelated to the thread, though it is also goofy horror in its own way.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

A bit late but the special death with del lago does remind me of the catfish that eat pigeons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on7cixfDl8I

Edit:
Not sure if someone else in the thread has already mentioned it, but there is a game more or less based on the RE4 inventory management.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1955330/Save_Room__Organization_Puzzle/

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Dec 11, 2022

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ThornBrain posted:

PS: I did a thing unrelated to the thread, though it is also goofy horror in its own way.
I know gently caress all about Sonic cartoons, but, uh, two hours in and can't stop watching in a sort of horrified amazement. It's like staring into the eyes of a cobra.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

anilEhilated posted:

I know gently caress all about Sonic cartoons, but, uh, two hours in and can't stop watching in a sort of horrified amazement. It's like staring into the eyes of a cobra.

Sonic is a wondrous land whose boundaries are the time and money budgets enforced by executives.

BigTUnit1
Jul 10, 2012

Hey everyone it’s Travis! I’m glad you guys are enjoying the LP so far! The amount of insight people have about this game is impressive, and it only shows how deceptively deep RE4 is.
Also I know Leon is the an action hero, but the fact that they didn’t bother even have him learn basic Spanish was setting up this mission for failure.
Also if this LP is successful, I am considering doing another LP over the new remake in the future. I’m putting together the funds for said LP on my Patreon. I’ll keep you all posted!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Run Leon's lines through your head in the Sonic voice you guys made up for the one abridged episode you two did. They're literally the same character.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
And now I want a mod that replaces all Leon's lines with quips from Sonic Adventure 1 & 2.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

And now I want a mod that replaces all Leon's lines with quips from Sonic Adventure 1 & 2.

Leon leaps out that second story window: 'Aw yeah! This is happening!'

Wait, poo poo. Now I understand how they came up with Devil May Cry in the three attempts of making RE4

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

He'll be fine. He's just surprised is all.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Oh and before I forget, a certain somebody has finally made his own Patreon, so please consider supporting it so we can have Travis around more often!

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I love that Travis showed the optimal solution for the tile puzzle in 3-4.

Though you can also move two pieces at once :)

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

It is easy to miss, but the dialogue for the round hole on the crank has a different tone than most puzzle bits in this game. Because, of course, you're Ashley here and have a different inner voice.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I get what they were going for, but Leon shouting "LOUISLEWIS!" just sounds less like mourning his dear friend and more like "I have to get his attention across a crowded bar"

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Exploit time! If you mash through the cutscene of that cage dropping on you, you get a few Garrador-free moments to bust one of the locks and escape. I think three knife swipes is enough to break one? Agreed that it's a bad room but skipping the cutscene gives you just enough time to get through the worst part.

Also I'm pretty sure there's an audio cue for when dudes spawn by a zone transition door, which is pretty nice of the game.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Exploit time! If you mash through the cutscene of that cage dropping on you, you get a few Garrador-free moments to bust one of the locks and escape. I think three knife swipes is enough to break one? Agreed that it's a bad room but skipping the cutscene gives you just enough time to get through the worst part.

Also I'm pretty sure there's an audio cue for when dudes spawn by a zone transition door, which is pretty nice of the game.

Yeah, the enemies don’t spawn by the entrance until after you’ve extended the bridge, and you’re climbing up the ladder.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

I get what they were going for, but Leon shouting "LOUISLEWIS!" just sounds less like mourning his dear friend and more like "I have to get his attention across a crowded bar"

If they don't keep the casual mispronunciation and silly delivery in the remake, I'm gonna have harsh words for some folks.

And yeah, that surprise cage match is kind of annoying. I think it's the point in the game I've restarted the most just because things go to poo poo so often even if I survive. It's not a bad encounter in theory, but I think the crossbow guys are what takes it a little bit too far.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Don't worry, Travis. I could feel your pain of not being able to afford the attache case upgrade. At least Ashley got enough treasure to put you over...assuming my math's right.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
:rip: Luis Sera

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I usually save a regular grenade to immediately blow off the lock in the cage match, stun the garrador and take out a few of the guys on the outside. It make things a whole lot easier.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I often wonder if Luis had a bigger part in earlier versions of the script because Leon interacts with him for a total of 10 minutes before his death, his dramatic cry just seems forced is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

I often wonder if Luis had a bigger part in earlier versions of the script because Leon interacts with him for a total of 10 minutes before his death, his dramatic cry just seems forced is all.
It sets precedent for a much sillier scenario a bit later in the game. Leon gets attached to people very quickly.

e: I know you likened it to James Bond, but the antics the monks get to while trying to stop Leon are definitely Scooby-Doo.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 19, 2022