Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

One of the best games ever made, one that changed its franchise and the face of horror and shooter games as we knew them for years, and the game that brought our old LP partner Travis back to the channel!
Join him and me for a lovely Spanish vacation as he fights off headbursters, rescues the president's daughter, and gets up close and personal with some handsome fellas. I mostly get offended as a goth at all the crow murder.

This is a standard playthrough, but since Travis is so experienced with this game, he'll be doing plenty including showing secrets and some of the sillier deaths. NG+ is also on the table.
Most videos will have two versions: one with commentary over the cutscenes (Uncut Commentary) and one without (Cutscene Friendly).
Note that we read the letters you find aloud for the first few parts, but don't worry - we quickly got tired of that and stopped.

If you enjoy the LP, consider supporting Travis's Patreon so he can be around more often to do more!

-------------------

(Uncut Commentary | Cutscene Friendly)

(Cutscene Friendly)

(Cutscene Friendly)

(Cutscene Friendly)

-------------------

Fanart

NullBlack:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I have so many fond memories of not just Resident Evil 4, but The Dark Id's and Freelance Astronauts' LPs of it.

I'm fully confident this will be another classic.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Holy poo poo thank you for my work Playlist this month

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

theenglishman posted:

I have so many fond memories of not just Resident Evil 4, but The Dark Id's and Freelance Astronauts' LPs of it.

I'm fully confident this will be another classic.

The latter was actually the only time I've ever seen a playthrough of a RE game. Good to hear Travis again and will be looking forward to some of the later spots since I remember some of the shenanigans the Astronauts got into in this game.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 15, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Excellent. This has gotta be the story-centric game I've replayed and watched playthroughs of the most. It's just nuts how well most of it holds up once you take a bit too get used to the older controls, and even those got an impressive amount of the way there given that it was given that they were basically reinventing how the franchise would play.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Love to watch LPs of this game. Haven’t played it in years though.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I have the worst opinion on this era of RE games, RE 4 is fine and all, but it never clicked for me. I actually prefer RE 5 and 6, by a lot

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

I actually prefer RE 5 and 6, by a lot

I've enjoyed every RE from 4 on to some extent, and I'm on record many times saying 6 actually has a good amount of fun, but :catstare:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

A fun thing is that there's no suggestion at any point in Leon's trip through Not-Spain that he speaks any Spanish, or even glanced over a phrasebook before heading out

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Time to make a new, handsome friend! And Luis I guess.

PS: RE4 Remake looks interesting, but will Leon roundhouse kick the Big Cheese in the chest and be completely no-selled? It just won't be Leon if he's not a dipshit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

From What little evidence is there, RE4R Leons still a dork

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I hope Travis is going to show off the Mercenaries mode, because with one of the playable characters that starts with a TMP, it's the only part of the whole game where it's useful.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Something that has not been mentioned is the dynamic difficulty in this game. The more you die, the easier the game becomes. There are also instances that the game can get harder. In the first part, three, instead of one, chainsaw man can spawn if you decide to run around instead of hold up in one area; the tradeoff is tougher enemies but more rewards from their drops.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In the demo, Leon still says his bingo line.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Hell yeah, this is one of my all-time favorites. I feel like I discover something new every time I do a new playthrough.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yeah, all the new footage and stuff this week makes me much more confident that Leon's still an action movie doofus. And the new hat Mendez is wearing looks like just the thing to be an even more weirdly impassive figure as he's ineffectively roundhoused at.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, all the new footage and stuff this week makes me much more confident that Leon's still an action movie doofus. And the new hat Mendez is wearing looks like just the thing to be an even more weirdly impassive figure as he's ineffectively roundhoused at.

I wish there was a mod that gave Mendez the Packers Cheese hat from Dark Id’s SSLP.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Another thing I like the TMP for is shooting dynamite. You all are blowing up more with the pistol in this video than I get in multiple playthroughs, but switching to the TMP and just spraying bullets in the general direction as soon as someone throws a stick is a pretty great strategy.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

The TMP also shreds the Gigantes in the village acts pretty well, at least in my experience.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I like the TMP but IIRC the bad thing about it is that it uses another ammo type when you're already using the pistol and shotgun. Eventually you'll be using the rifle too so it just gets squeezed out.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The weird thing about the TMP is the ammo drop rate. It just feels weirdly overdone, like when I don't have the weapon I'm still getting multiple boxes to sell at every merchant spot, and when I do have it I'm just deluged by ammo boxes. Yeah it's another ammo type to keep track of, but it's so common that you almost feel like you have to keep the gun around just to use it up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You are never going to get the fish smell out of your attache case.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

The thing I love the most about this game, besides it being a great game, is that it inspired a lot of YTPs.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Meaty Ore posted:

The TMP also shreds the Gigantes in the village acts pretty well, at least in my experience.

Really the TMP shreds anything that'll hold still for a second, but that means dedicating a good chunk of inventory space to TMP ammo that you'll then blow through on that enemy. I think it can be pretty useful, but it's also definitely a tradeoff.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

evilmiera posted:

The thing I love the most about this game, besides it being a great game, is that it inspired a lot of YTPs.

I couldn't help but think about Deepercutt's when we were recording.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ThornBrain posted:

I couldn't help but think about Deepercutt's when we were recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGJwR5tH7k

azren
Feb 14, 2011

theenglishman posted:

I wish there was a mod that gave Mendez the Packers Cheese hat from Dark Id’s SSLP.

:same:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Just having the audio codecs be a cute cat meowing at Leon is inspired.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I know he's called the Big Cheese by Leon but I wish there was an easter egg where he was called "El Queso Diablo".

stryth
Apr 7, 2018

Got bread?
GIVE BREADS!

The Lone Badger posted:

You are never going to get the fish smell out of your attache case.

Good thing we replace it later, then it becomes the merchants problem.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Late to this, but the best place to wait out the Village attack on the roof directly above the door that triggers the cutscene. Enemies only come at you from one direction, they won't throw stuff at you from the ground, and if things get too dicey you can turn around and jump off to escape :eng101: Everyone always go for the room in that house but IMO it's a sucker's bet the siege is not that hard to get through after the first time you do it.

Also fun fact, the chainsaw guy never spawns if you don't go through that door. But where's the fun in that?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you want to have double the fun during the village fight you can kill two chainsaw dudes. If you run toward the gate you exit through afterwards a second (or first, depending on when you do it) one will spawn and they drop a ruby, which is worth 10k again.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

C-Euro posted:

Also fun fact, the chainsaw guy never spawns if you don't go through that door. But where's the fun in that?

You'll never go in there on Professional Mode, sure you'll be taking on the whole village with the Handgun/Knife but it's much easier without Chainsaw Man coming for you.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Catch that, smart guy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Why would you use a submachine gun to hunt Jackels Thorn?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I enjoy that the devs that added that event for disrespecting the water.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm glad you showed off the secret del lago death, that's one of my favorite hidden bits in a game ever :buddy:

And yeah, sometimes the lack of buyable ammo frustrates me. One of my runs a year or two back ended prematurely midway through, I thought I was doing even better than normal but all of a sudden I wound up at maybe the toughest setpiece in the game with something like two handgun bullets and a grenade. That's not enough to start the fight with, even accounting for ammo drops, and not being able to run back and stock up outside of limited capacity upgrades just meant I was done.

That's not gonna happen often in a regular playthrough, but it was super aggravating. Something like RE8, where you can buy *some* ammo but not enough to just power through the game, seems like a good option.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve played this on GameCube and Wii. Whenever you’d have a QuickTime event, the possible inputs were either A+B or R+L, and if I just pushed all four buttons at the same time I’d pass. It’s apparently the same for ports on other systems as well. I don’t remember what the Wii equivalent was, I think there were some waggle input.

Aiming with the Wiimote made the game much easier. No more trying to find your laser sight.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 29, 2022

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

To be fair to Leon, it's been 6 years since he saw Ada Wong, assuming she died from fall damage back in RE2. I'm only familiar with the Remake of it so I don't know if he ever saw her using a grappling hook at any point.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RareAcumen posted:

To be fair to Leon, it's been 6 years since he saw Ada Wong, assuming she died from fall damage back in RE2. I'm only familiar with the Remake of it so I don't know if he ever saw her using a grappling hook at any point.

She does use one in Umbrella Chronicles which shows off how she escaped Raccoon City after the events of 2 Classic, but that was the old continuity so who knows anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why would you use a submachine gun to hunt Jackels Thorn?

Well in this game there's a very good reason to.