Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

CODChimera posted:

also adding a 3rd faction to maps could be fun. and that way they wouldnt have to do a full roster

Give me enemy AI factions fighting each other!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

huh you know what would kill the two birds of "brain burst is way slower for killing elites on high difficulties rather than shooting them in the head" and "warp charges are essentially useless" with one stone is make each stack of warp charge reduce the charge time of brain burst and give it a flat bonus to brain burst damage, independent of the general damage bonus they give. so a psyker with high stacks can ride the lightning. i get that there's a last tier feat that's kind of like that but it's for consuming them with a wave, i'm saying in general.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
Been playing for over two weeks and this is the first time I've played missions with power outage. Seriously been seeing this missions all day. Dealing with the dark is pretty brutal, never have I been more glad there are random rear end barrels to pop for some fire. And theres the fuckery going on, I swear there tends to be 2-3 daemonhosts lurking around. The groups I were in handled them pretty well tanking and stalling without ogryn shield.

They really get the lighting effects for the flamer right when you're using the braced mode. Dunno why you only get the ambient lighting then but none from the single puffs of flame.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Buschmaki posted:

The Lamenters show up and loving die

Please. God Emperor, please

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

huh you know what would kill the two birds of "brain burst is way slower for killing elites on high difficulties rather than shooting them in the head" and "warp charges are essentially useless" with one stone is make each stack of warp charge reduce the charge time of brain burst and give it a flat bonus to brain burst damage, independent of the general damage bonus they give. so a psyker with high stacks can ride the lightning. i get that there's a last tier feat that's kind of like that but it's for consuming them with a wave, i'm saying in general.

Yeah they need to overhaul it completely. On heresy or damnation I'll use it to break a bulwarks guard or pop a hound that's going to run out of sight but otherwise there's basically no reason to use it over your staff

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Hit 30 on zealot, leveling a psyker now. I’m pretty underwhelmed. The staffs just kind of suck, right? I want to like the lightning one, but it doesn’t kill anything. The void strike is fine I guess?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
All they really need to do to sort the store out for me, is to guarantee that at least one of each weapon available for you spawns in when it refreshes, with the chance for multiple.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 10, 2022

Aqua_D
Feb 12, 2011

Sometimes, a man just needs to get his Rock off.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Sharkopath posted:

Something they talked about in early interviews was setpieces and missions involving the npcs more, so I was expecting Leman Russes called in for artillery support, that the squads of other agents would occasionally make appearances, etc. Things like that.

Instead with how limiting with each finale being determined solely by the mission type and only some finales mixing objectives together is a pretty big shame.

That kind of big setpiece that changes the scale of the game would also be a good way to differentiate lower threat starting zones from larger higher threat later game zones, but as is the game doesn't really distinguish between zones at all, making the progression and sense of adventure more limited than vt2.

This is the sort of thing I've wanted since Destiny 2 announced a Cabal raid right after we got to play with the new tanks. Have a sequence where you blow up the scope to highlight the larger conflict the game is set in and really lean into the great combat system you've built without worrying about puzzles or perfectly executing an obtuse sequence of boss mechanics.

Of course Destiny then went ahead with exactly a goofball obtuse puzzle gameshow raid instead of the giant Halo tank battle I imagined. A sequence in Darktide where your team advances as part of a big coordinated push against a critical strategic target, with Valkyries doing strafing runs overhead while dodging blight drones, riding in a Chimera against the backdrop of dueling loyalist and traitor Russes in a rust and copper oxide colored desert would be rad as hell. Given the stability problems the game has suffered I doubt we'd see anything like that for a while though.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

A sequence in Darktide where your team advances as part of a big coordinated push against a critical strategic target, with Valkyries doing strafing runs overhead while dodging blight drones, riding in a Chimera against the backdrop of dueling loyalist and traitor Russes in a rust and copper oxide colored desert would be rad as hell. Given the stability problems the game has suffered I doubt we'd see anything like that for a while though.

The Water Refinery cleanup extraction has a part where your extract Valkyrie shows up and blows up some bridges. A whole mission of setpieces like that would be cool as hell.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Drakes posted:

Been playing for over two weeks and this is the first time I've played missions with power outage. Seriously been seeing this missions all day. Dealing with the dark is pretty brutal, never have I been more glad there are random rear end barrels to pop for some fire. And theres the fuckery going on, I swear there tends to be 2-3 daemonhosts lurking around. The groups I were in handled them pretty well tanking and stalling without ogryn shield.

It's intentional, dark mode spawns more daemonhosts to gently caress with you, it owns

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Diephoon posted:

The Water Refinery cleanup extraction has a part where your extract Valkyrie shows up and blows up some bridges. A whole mission of setpieces like that would be cool as hell.

Would the Smeltery reactivating count as a setpiece? I mean, granted it's just five geysers spooging downward into a gaping chasm. But still, having that between one last horde of heretics scrambling towards your extract path.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Diephoon posted:

That's the only real extraction I feel like, where in vermintide different extractions do a lot for changing how a level feels.

Assassinations end when the enemies die, and most other missions its just a short hop to the valkyrie or an elevator before you're free.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

widespread posted:

I guess fair. Either unlocked or finished, since allegedly they had to scrap a different system midway through dev time. Don't quote me on that, though. I saw it on a PCGamer interview and... well, it's pretty lame to not have a key part in, but I dunno how I'd want to balance it myself without going min-effort.

I've thrown all caution to the wind and sold stuff as I grew out of it so I can buy pants. Goddam Psyker hats are expensive at the Commissary.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

saw a blue force sword with deflection in the shop, nothing special otherwise, picked it up and took the peril blocking talent and wow you can just set up a lounge chair in front of a machinegunner huh

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

S.J. posted:

The weekly store? Yeah it's honestly trash compared to the normal one

both! Just refresh after refresh of under 400 power blue guns and under 330 power grey trash and curios with bad rolls

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Jerkface posted:

both! Just refresh after refresh of under 400 power blue guns and under 330 power grey trash and curios with bad rolls

I just lucked into a nice curio - 18% hp, 4% hp, corruption resist, mutant damage resist. The corruption resist seems quite noticeable. I also habitually zealot charge at charging mutants, so mutant damage resist is good!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I might be bad but I can't seem to reliably clear even 3 bar difficulty at level 20 as a vet. It seems like the ramped up special spawns (and especially daemonhosts) just screws the team at some point.

Am I missing something?

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

toasterwarrior posted:

It's intentional, dark mode spawns more daemonhosts to gently caress with you, it owns

Thats dirty but I love it. Really changes the flow of the levels. They just gotta allow more ambient lighting from single flamer puffs and psyker chain lightning.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
did a dark and spooky mission on malice earlier and there were four daemonhosts, one we could not avoid

do the special conditions influence spawns? haven't seen that many in malice before.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I forgot my gun didn't have a flashlight and was having to walk around flaring up my power sword just to see, it loving rocked and they made it *really* dark

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

WarpedLichen posted:

I might be bad but I can't seem to reliably clear even 3 bar difficulty at level 20 as a vet. It seems like the ramped up special spawns (and especially daemonhosts) just screws the team at some point.

Am I missing something?

if you're pretty high level, the main thing about the jump from 2 to 3 is you actually have to pay decent attention to mitigating damage. no more trading hits on trash because "it doesn't matter all that much". no more facetanking a crisscross of ranged fire as you charge a squad of riflemen. for the former you need to start adding pushes, blocks, and dodges to your repertoire and only take a swing when you know you can get away with it. for the latter you need to start suppressing (or more ideally, mulching) them into cover before you close into melee.

once those basics fall into place the increased special spawns will be easier to deal with, because you're not constantly being shredded by chaff and can focus on the more important things.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 10, 2022

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the jump from 3 to 4 is mainly the same thing, just when you gently caress up you take twice the amount of damage

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

WarpedLichen posted:

Am I missing something?

No not really.

Here's some general advice. I can't presume your skill level so apologies if some of these are very basic:

* Make sure you aren't solely tunnel-visioning on ranged attacks. If somebody is in your face, or even close to being in your face, you need to be dealing with them and the best tools for dealing with them are melee. Vet is actually pretty challenging to play for newer players to the Tide series because the temptation is to think, "oh I get this, I'm the ranged character" and you do need to switch to range as a Vet for special clear or to counter-fire against enemy ranged units but you cannot comfortably do that from melee.

* This means getting very comfortable with the melee mechanics. Block and block often. If you hear a woosh, you can generally switch to melee and block before you get hit. There is probably always someone behind you. Fight with your back to a wall (but not a door!) Learn to push, push-attack, learn your attack patterns and how to solo your way through a small hoard.

* Learn to dodge. You can even dodge with a melee weapon. If you hear that radio noise, I'm pretty sure it means someone's about to shoot you. Get behind cover.

* Use cover. I know this sounds basic but what I see people do a lot of the time is try to solo a hoard out in the open. This is basically the worst case scenario. If you're under fire but you also have a hoard to deal with, get around a corner, duck behind a box, anything so you aren't being shot at while you try to deal with the melee guys first.

Basically there are two keys to survival in this game: learning to deal with normal scenarios and learning to recover from fuckery scenarios. If you can comfortably deal with what the game normally throws at you between special fuckery or daemonhosts or whatever, you are way more likely to recover from failure than otherwise.

What are you noticing specifically is killing you most frequently? Some failure is normal - the game can be brutal and unfair at times. But if you can squeak through those rough patches you can recover the run.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
TIDE megathread: There is probably always someone behind you

Orv
May 4, 2011
It is the 41st Millennium.

You are aware of your teeth.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey that lights out event is no loving joke, god drat.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I really like lights out it feels like they built the game around it tbh

between the flashlights on the basic shared guns, the glowing eyes of the poxwalkers, and how much glowy poo poo is on everyone else, how the daemonhost lights up an area neon green, the flame effects, etc

just feels really good

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

explosivo posted:

Hey that lights out event is no loving joke, god drat.

I did one as a vet earlier and I was the only one with a flashlight, so I spent most of the match just hanging back illuminating poo poo for the team while watching out for specials/gunners. It was kinda neat.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I just did a lightsout mission with a bunch of low level noobs. They didn't know what the gently caress was going on and neither did I.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Jerkface posted:

I really like lights out it feels like they built the game around it tbh

between the flashlights on the basic shared guns, the glowing eyes of the poxwalkers, and how much glowy poo poo is on everyone else, how the daemonhost lights up an area neon green, the flame effects, etc

just feels really good

yeah i kinda wish it was way more frequent

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Does the ready-up screen show conditions? Feels bad going into one without a flashlight in your gun. But when you've got a flashlight, its a great vibe

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I get off work, get home, and just in time for the lights out condition to cycle off. Whyyyyy. God I am so loving tired of high/low intensity. Those shouldn't even be mutually exclusive with the environment effects!

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Which weapons give the Ogryn a flashlight? Cause it's definitely none that I own.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The Demilich posted:

Which weapons give the Ogryn a flashlight? Cause it's definitely none that I own.

I don't think he has any!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
he's not the brightest bulb in the dropship

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Give him a cosmetic that's just fog lights strapped to his shoulders

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo I managed to roll a base 340 power orange chainsword for my Veteran (passing on power swords, the chainsword aesthetic is too good) with mobility dump stat, near max finesse, and +damage and cleave on multiple hit. Very happy I had the weekly cash for it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

when you are the big scary monster in the dark, you don't need a light

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

toasterwarrior posted:

Holy poo poo I managed to roll a base 340 power orange chainsword for my Veteran (passing on power swords, the chainsword aesthetic is too good) with mobility dump stat, near max finesse, and +damage and cleave on multiple hit. Very happy I had the weekly cash for it.

I recently switched from a low mobility cleaver to a high mobility cleaver and it has been a massive help in reducing incoming damage while sprinting to engage.