Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Horrific news. I'm not going to rule out natural causes because a 49-year-old man having a heart attack isn't beyond the realm of possibility, but it's pretty hosed up that it's also not beyond the realm of possibility that he was murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

this is hitting me harder than I thought. I guess it's because he was one of the first sports writers I read when I started following soccer/football.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Ah jeez :smith:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

Horrific news. I'm not going to rule out natural causes because a 49-year-old man having a heart attack isn't beyond the realm of possibility, but it's pretty hosed up that it's also not beyond the realm of possibility that he was murdered.
On the one hand, a bad case of bronchitis can gently caress up your chest pretty good.
On the other hand, if you'll believe his brother Wahl was the subject of death threats in recent days.

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Crazy Ted posted:

On the one hand, a bad case of bronchitis can gently caress up your chest pretty good.
On the other hand, if you'll believe his brother Wahl was the subject of death threats in recent days.

He was writing very frank articles about the circumstances of the World Cup, so getting death threats makes sense. Whether it's connected to his death...

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

It feels like even though this just happened, the accusations are flying fast and lots of folks are going to make up their minds. It doesn't help that the Qatari officials have been flagrantly going back on agreements and lying to people for weeks in the public eye, so even if they are innocent, who will believe them if they don't have a perfect explanation for what happened?

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
loving hell

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

King of False Promises posted:

this is hitting me harder than I thought. I guess it's because he was one of the first sports writers I read when I started following soccer/football.

Very much in the same boat, his pieces in SI were basically the only good writing on the subject stateside for all of the aughts

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m skeptical that they’d kill Wahl. He was hardly the only Western journalist openly pissing on the Qataris. I’m sure there’ll be more clarity once there’s an autopsy.

I’ve followed him on Twitter for years, since around the time I started reading football journalism. Shocking and really sad.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
This is wild, what a horrible piece of news. I do wonder if this is going to be the catalyst that starts to reveal more and more poo poo on this whole event. Nothing gets the press going like the death of a white American in a foreign country after all, even if it somehow turns out that it was of natural causes.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

really shocking news, I second this

I guess bronchitis can really gently caress a person up but I can’t help but feel really chilled by this. considering what the qatari govt has gotten away with to put on this tournament, killing and covering up the murder of a journalist doesn’t strike me as the thing that will finally bring about some form of consequences. who’s going to stop them?

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

part of it is that he reportedly died of a heart attack, but being inside of a stadium where football is being played is like the best place to have a heart attack. and yeah, people can just have heart attacks and die right there, but man, that seems off to me.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
They ricin poisoned him like Lydia in Breaking Bad

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

His body needs to be brought back to the U.S. for a proper autopsy, immediately.

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020
Why couldn’t it have been Billy Haisley?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

If someone were to try to assassinate Billy Haisley he'd start the world's longest run-on sentence and the would-be assassin would fall asleep out of boredom.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/jacksettleman/status/1601400617377083393

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004

the sex ghost posted:

On world cup day one, no one died. On world cup day two, no one died

Which world cup day are we on now I think we have a dead one now!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

part of it is that he reportedly died of a heart attack, but being inside of a stadium where football is being played is like the best place to have a heart attack. and yeah, people can just have heart attacks and die right there, but man, that seems off to me.

Yeah the stadium would have had a dedicated crowd medical team including doctors, if they really stuck him in an Uber after CPR then :stare:

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Yeah the stadium would have had a dedicated crowd medical team including doctors, if they really stuck him in an Uber after CPR then :stare:

yeah I just remember what happened with Muamba and Eriksen and it's just like, if you're going to have heart problems, do it while watching/participating in a football match.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
he sounds like a really good dude. this one got to me
https://twitter.com/aNateScott/status/1601425188117438464?t=j02rwwURZtl7oOy0DZflEw&s=19

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Playing devils advocate; the doctors are reserved for the players or some terrible violent stabbing. FIFA would fine Qatar big time if there weren’t enough ambulances for the players.

Maybe there were supposed to be medical resources for the crowd as part of stadium guidelines, but that got overlooked.

Did the journalist travel with an entourage? And some random contracted security guard decided that calling an Uber to the hospital is faster than waiting for an ambulance or bureaucratic procedure to get medical assistance?

RIP sports journalist :smith:

King of False Promises
Jul 31, 2000

Wonton posted:

Playing devils advocate; the doctors are reserved for the players or some terrible violent stabbing. FIFA would fine Qatar big time if there weren’t enough ambulances for the players.

Maybe there were supposed to be medical resources for the crowd as part of stadium guidelines, but that got overlooked.

Did the journalist travel with an entourage? And some random contracted security guard decided that calling an Uber to the hospital is faster than waiting for an ambulance or bureaucratic procedure to get medical assistance?

I think that goes against everything doctors sign up for. why would they, being in the stadium, not help a guy obviously dying from a heart attack when made aware it was happening? same for EMTs etc in the stadium. they're not going to say "sorry, we're here for the players" when someone is dying unless there is pressure from on high.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Wonton posted:

No they aren't, there's a separate team for the players, I have friends that do crowd medical work in the prem. It's the same for major tournaments.

This might just be a really unfortunate case of a massive pulmonary embolism in someone suffering from a viral illness but there's always going to be a question mark of his body doesn't get transferred back to the state's soon.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

God dammit man

gently caress

Sorry, I just don’t know what else to say

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I wouldn’t be surprised if Qatari staff knew what Wahl had been writing — and wearing — and decided to, you know, take it easy on the medical relief. But that can’t really be confirmed in any meaningful way until much later.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Akbar posted:

he sounds like a really good dude.
Yeah. The reason why he was fired from Sports Illustrated was that when HQ was using the pandemic as an excuse to force permanent cut salaries he basically told management to eat a bag of dicks, and he was incredibly supportive of both co-workers and fellow writers.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

drat I can't believe the Qatari government murdered a journalist who was critical of their actions. Do they think they're Saudi Arabia or something?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Vegetable posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if Qatari staff knew what Wahl had been writing — and wearing — and decided to, you know, take it easy on the medical relief. But that can’t really be confirmed in any meaningful way until much later.

Qatar slow playing everything does seem a bit more likely than straight up ordering a hit, but :iiam:

Rip to a real one

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.
Mexican reporter in the press area says that officials waited until after the penalties to move Wahl's body
https://twitter.com/Carlos_Ponz/status/1601414110717292544?t=J1zig2lPLY7PnvMwVFGdcQ&s=19

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Akbar posted:

Mexican reporter in the press area says that officials waited until after the penalties to move Wahl's body
https://twitter.com/Carlos_Ponz/status/1601414110717292544?t=J1zig2lPLY7PnvMwVFGdcQ&s=19

They’re gonna kill that guy in a couple days too, RIP in advance to him

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

No they aren't, there's a separate team for the players, I have friends that do crowd medical work in the prem. It's the same for major tournaments.

This might just be a really unfortunate case of a massive pulmonary embolism in someone suffering from a viral illness but there's always going to be a question mark of his body doesn't get transferred back to the state's soon.

That can absolutely happen though, a friend’s dad had a massive heart attack walking out of Old Trafford earlier this year, and despite immediate attention from doctors, CPR, an AED and being rushed to hospital within minutes, his heart just never started again. He wasn’t that old either, and in reasonable health.

Not saying that’s happened here, and I really hope there’s an open, honest and genuine investigation (preferably an independent one) because everyone deserves to know the truth.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

webmeister posted:

That can absolutely happen though, a friend’s dad had a massive heart attack walking out of Old Trafford earlier this year, and despite immediate attention from doctors, CPR, an AED and being rushed to hospital within minutes, his heart just never started again. He wasn’t that old either, and in reasonable health.

Not saying that’s happened here, and I really hope there’s an open, honest and genuine investigation (preferably an independent one) because everyone deserves to know the truth.

Yeah, and the conflicting reports even a few posts up ("he was ubered to a hospital" vs "they didn't move his body until after penalties") means we definitely don't know the story yet. Jim Henson went from a sore throat to waking up dead in the span of a few days. What would Qatar have to gain from killing an American journalist who would most likely never step foot in the country again after another week or so? I could buy that orders came down from on high about intentional negligence but I don't buy that they fed him polonium soup or whatever.

Obviously, the best course of action is to get him back to the US for a proper autopsy.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

it's sad that guy died but practically every western journalist is doing the same crusader schtick. if the qataris were going to ice a westerner it would be someone from a country that actually cares about soccer.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jokingly describing the cough as a death rattle loving hell :(

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1601465069585719296

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Its not like a week after the American government went to bat for a despotic regional government for chopping up an American journalist or anything. That wouldn’t give anyone ideas I’m sure.

(I don’t think this is what happened in Wahl’s case but some stupid poo poo has happened)

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Crazy Ted posted:

If someone were to try to assassinate Billy Haisley he'd start the world's longest run-on sentence and the would-be assassin would fall asleep out of boredom.

:drat:

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/FIFAcom/status/1601475132471533569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
What a thing to wake up to. Remember reading grants stuff when I still used to get When Saturday Comes

Like one would assume even the qataris are not stupid enough to hit a prominent journalist with the CIA heart attack gun just after possibly the biggest game of the tournament when the most people are watching but as others have said it's wild that you can't just rule it out of hand