Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Also, Manchin's motives are understandable and can be traditionally persuaded. Sienma is all over the place. So, its not that Machin is understandable its that you can strategize around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

I don't think Manchin is "better" than Sinema, and god help us all any time we have to choose between the two. Manchin is as corrupt as any of them, and really reacted poorly in the moment to being confronted with it during the never-ending BBB drama by threatening reporters.

Sinema is unique in how nakedly incompetent at messaging she is. It's just hard to figure out what Sinema's deal is besides stupidity.

Her deal as remarked on often, is narcissism and John McCain
Sinema is extremely narcissistic and genuinely believes even now that she will be president. All of her moves are her saying or doing what she thinks is best to get to that goal. When she was in Phoenix she was kooky green party member, when she was in the house she was blue dog democrat because it was a conservative leaning seat. When it was Senate she played up her bisexuality for the YASS KWEEN vote and her Phoenix years for the Progressive vote in the primary barely won against a god-awful candidate surpassed later by Blake Masters and then once elected played up that she flipped a red state and shifted into John McCain mode because she saw that he was rewarded for going against his party and that it got him a bunch of media attention and "authenticity" that he parlayed into a presidential campaign that lost mainly due to terrible timing, a once-in-a-generation talent Oratory talent as the opponent and Sarah Palin. Going against her party was the quickest way to get media attention and build a national brand from the Senate so she did it. This was obviously a huge miscalculation because she forgot that
A. the votes which got the most media attention were the ones that the base wanted the most so she was pissing them off constantly
B. John McCain generally voted against the party because of his own beliefs and principles for better or for worse as to what those principles are.
C. John McCain ended up being despised and hated by his party's base because he went against his party on the thing said party wanted most

She's too drat late to back off the brand now and she knows it. Her plan for the primary in 24 was probably to make an appeal to pragmatism on the primary voters and try to paint Gallego as too left-wing for purple state Arizona but Kelly winning by 5 points while voting in lockstep with the national party and keeping his head down. So since she has no route to not be primaried with her opinion polls she'll skip the primary entirely and win as an independent like Sanders, King or Murkowski (I know not technically but I'm counting the write in campaign) all of whom are known for butting heads with party leadership.

King, I should note abandoned his life-long democratic affiliation in 92 when he ran for governor and its rumored that he did it because he didn't think he could beat the Democratic nominee in a primary. He endorses moderate republicans from time to time and is one of the more moderate democrats but never really opposes the party on anything it actually wants. He's what Sinema would look like is she were actually competent.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Trump won't be held in contempt over the classified files case:
Federal judge declines to hold Trump in contempt of court

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/09/politics/trump-contempt-hearing-classified-documents-subpoena/index.html

Lol of course. What a joke of a justice system. Although I think the worst thing he would have had to deal with would have been daily fines right? That's not much of a punishment for someone in his position.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Charliegrs posted:

Trump won't be held in contempt over the classified files case:
Federal judge declines to hold Trump in contempt of court

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/09/politics/trump-contempt-hearing-classified-documents-subpoena/index.html

Lol of course. What a joke of a justice system. Although I think the worst thing he would have had to deal with would have been daily fines right? That's not much of a punishment for someone in his position.

This poo poo is hilarious

quote:

The sources also told CNN that Chief Judge Beryl Howell instead pressed the Trump team and the Justice Department to work together to find a mutually agreeable resolution.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
sinema's motives have been pretty blatant for a minute

:10bux::homebrew::10bux:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

If any of us posting here had been found with that much classified material in their house, they would have been thrown in a hole forever by the Feds

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
presidency comes with its perks

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

FlamingLiberal posted:

If any of us posting here had been found with that much classified material in their house, they would have been thrown in a hole forever by the Feds

I keep saying Trump is never going to go to jail unless he does a more...mundane...crime like murder, but at this point, I'm starting to think that even if he shot someone on 5th avenue, it would be ruled as a suicide.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

FlamingLiberal posted:

A fraction of that much

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1601320987609407489?t=qAe_eIggfj9DYWvNbOOlfA&s=19

Didn't a similar thing happen like last year or something or am I remembering some other environmental disaster

It's leaked basically once a year since it was completed.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Last city-owned Confederate statue in Richmond is getting taken down Monday. Good riddance to AP Hill. His body and statue was moved from Hollywood Cemetery in the 1920s as a sales tactic for the new Northside neighborhood ("look how white we are"). His descendants are still trying to delay poo poo with appeals but gently caress 'em.
https://www.nbc12.com/2022/12/09/ap-hill-statue-removal-start-monday/

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

i wouldnt call this a "Leftist" take but i dont care much for her because she's a domestic abuser. Also, i find it hypocritical for US politicians to take issue with her criminal charges considering cannabis is still Schedule I on the federal level and we have US citizens doing life in prison for cannabis possession.

To be clear: she shouldnt have been imprisoned for possession of THC oil. Nobody should be imprisoned for possession of THC or cannabis.

…assuming she ever had any THC and it wasn’t completely made up as an excuse to grab a famous American.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Soccer journalist Grant Wahl died in Qatar suddenly while covering the World Cup. https://www.tmz.com/2022/12/09/world-cup-soccer-reporter-grant-wahl-dead-48-after-detainment-lgbtq-shirt/

His family thinks there was foul play:

https://twitter.com/iambillary/status/1601392340282769408?s=20&t=K6jxcN-BzMthaEgFRupS9Q

Wahl had previously been wearing a pro LGTBQ shirt in support of gay rights in Qatar. This uh seems like kind of a big deal. Wahl has been covering the sport for years and was pretty widely respected.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Soccer journalist Grant Wahl died in Qatar suddenly while covering the World Cup. https://www.tmz.com/2022/12/09/world-cup-soccer-reporter-grant-wahl-dead-48-after-detainment-lgbtq-shirt/

His family thinks there was foul play:

https://twitter.com/iambillary/status/1601392340282769408?s=20&t=K6jxcN-BzMthaEgFRupS9Q

Wahl had previously been wearing a pro LGTBQ shirt in support of gay rights in Qatar. This uh seems like kind of a big deal. Wahl has been covering the sport for years and was pretty widely respected.

The NYT just put out a piece that said that he had been ill for part of his time covering the World Cup:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/sports/soccer/grant-wahl-dead.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

aBagorn posted:

The NYT just put out a piece that said that he had been ill for part of his time covering the World Cup:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/09/sports/soccer/grant-wahl-dead.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share&referringSource=articleShare

Hopefully there wasn't any foul play. It's pretty tragic in either case. In addition to covering the sport for decades, he challenged Sports Illustrated for Covid related paycuts to employees (and got fired for it), and was in the process of covering migrant worker deaths in Qatar when he died. And of course was drawing some heat for wearing the pro LGTBQ shirt there on behalf of his brother and that community.

His brother claims that Wahl was getting death threats while in Qatar which will no doubt fuel concern over his sudden death

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

aBagorn posted:

On his podcast he mentioned he had suddenly gotten bronchitis/chest discomfort and had went to a local medical center for it. There are a number of poisons that can cause similar symptoms.

Youth Decay fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 10, 2022

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Eric Cantonese posted:

The national Democratic leadership could prevent Gallego from getting as much of the fundraising and SuperPAC support that he'd need. All the Arizona GOP has to do is not nominate another garbage candidate (and even if they did, the margins still might work in their favor...)

I know we all like to dunk on Sinema, but given the tight margins that the Democrats have been winning with in Arizona, she very well could be a spoiler. Does that drags down other Democrats running for office there in 2024?

Any challenger to Sinema would rake in as much private money as they need. Amy McGrath raised 90 million dollars. The base would send Gallego money hand over fist.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Pragmatically, Manchin is one of the more valuable Democratic senators and Sinema is one of the least. According to polling, local elections, and other state elections, a Democrat has no business winning a statewide election in West Virginia. Trump won the state in 2020 by about 40%, doing better than in any state except Wyoming.

If you replace Manchin with a median generic Democrat (or even just a Manchin clone with identical positions but no personal brand), they almost certainly just lose the election. A senator that confirms your party's appointees, gives you control of the legislative agenda and committees, and torpeedos your legislation 90% of the time is still better than a Republican one that votes against you 100% of the time. A 49:1:50 Democrat:Manchin:Republican senate is better than a 49:51 Democrat:Republican one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sinema has dogshit unfavorables and a better score with republicans than democrats. She is genuinely based on polling more likely to favor a democrat winner by siphoning republican votes

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Barudak posted:

Sinema has dogshit unfavorables and a better score with republicans than democrats. She is genuinely based on polling more likely to favor a democrat winner by siphoning republican votes

Holy poo poo I called it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The big thing with Sinema is that she thinks she's copying the Manchin/McCain/Leiberman 'maverick' playbook without actually understanding how the game is played. Hence pissing off the establishment Democrats as well as the base- one designated heel is enough, any more and people start questioning why anyone puts up with these 'Democrats' actively tanking what is supposed to be the party agenda.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Lieberman never registered as anything but a democrat and had to run a sore-loser campaign for one electiom before he retired.
McCain never stopped being a republican and died in office.
Manchin has never been anything but a democrat.

Sinema premptively going independant before being shitcanned in a primary isn't a maverick move, its a ratfucker tactic. It might not go past another election, but it makes people take your call up until then.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

cr0y posted:

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1601320987609407489?t=qAe_eIggfj9DYWvNbOOlfA&s=19

Didn't a similar thing happen like last year or something or am I remembering some other environmental disaster

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
LOL, when you're too lovely for MattY to support

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1601269323850743808

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"Even I think Kyrsten Sinema sucks, and I'm saying this as someone who's ALSO a godawful piece of trash who sucks huge ball" is a really good burn.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Youth Decay posted:

On his podcast he mentioned he had suddenly gotten bronchitis/chest discomfort and had went to a local medical center for it. There are a number of poisons that can cause similar symptoms.

Qatar is a horrendous country but y'all know there's still a pandemic going on with hundreds of thousands of people from around the world in one place for this sports event, right??

It should obviously be looked into given the suspicious circumstances but I'm not sure jumping to "he was poisoned" should be the first reaction here.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 10, 2022

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bellmaker posted:

Qatar is a horrendous country but y'all know there's still a pandemic going on with hundreds of thousands of people from around the world in one place for this sports event, right??

But I have it on good authority that Covid ended itself for the good of the economy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jarmak posted:

Can someone please explain to me the Leftist ideological underpinnings of saying a young, black, gay women doesn't deserve any sympathy for being locked in labor camp for a decade over some bullshit weed charges? She's the epitome of a disadvantaged background; a gay black women from a 95%+ minority, 70%+ economically disadvantaged high school. She has managed to acquire wealth principally on the value of her own labor; she doesn't own the any means of production that she's taking the value of other's labor from, she's not part of management, she's a worker.

I fail to see how hating workers for retaining the value of their own labor is leftist, even if that value is very high.

A lot of people don't view being a professional athlete as "work" since "they get paid to play a game that many people play for fun". You hear this argument made about actors and musicians too. It's bullshit of course because, if anything, in most cases people in those fields have to work harder, sacrifice a ton and put in longer hours than most of the blue color heroes America claims to worship as the backbone of society. I hear that from "both sides" a lot.

E

Also, agree that Sinema's deal is mostly just a "look at meeee" play for attention, which she seems to thrive on. Remembering that little curtsy she did on the floor when she voted against something or other.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 10, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of people don't view being a professional athlete as "work" since "they get paid to play a game that many people play for fun". You hear this argument made about actors and musicians too. It's bullshit of course because, if anything, in most cases people in those fields have to work harder, sacrifice a ton and put in longer hours than most of the blue color heroes America claims to worship as the backbone of society.

And a lot of them destroy their bodies in the process, along with the whole job being an utter gamble in so many ways.

It's just boomerbrain masquerading as leftism. And/or someone faking it to try and discredit leftism.

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

The other thing about proffessional sports is that unless you are a star you really are not making a lot of money. Hopefully you paid attention in college and are going to actually use that degree because as it is you will not be able to live off of what you made after your body is destroyed if you are just some rando on the team.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

A lot of people don't view being a professional athlete as "work" since "they get paid to play a game that many people play for fun". You hear this argument made about actors and musicians too. It's bullshit of course because, if anything, in most cases people in those fields have to work harder, sacrifice a ton and put in longer hours than most of the blue color heroes America claims to worship as the backbone of society. I hear that from "both sides" a lot.

E

Also, agree that Sinema's deal is mostly just a "look at meeee" play for attention, which she seems to thrive on. Remembering that little curtsy she did on the floor when she voted against something or other.

looking at highly-paid actors and sports stars, it's definitely true that they make way more money than they should (but not as much as the studios and producers) compared to the value they generate, no matter how good they are or entertaining a movie/show is. And the bulk of the money is especially not going to the people actually doing most of the work of making the movie (writers, technical people like camera operators, sound, etc), like it should.

The difference between athletes, actors, etc and other jobs is that the former does not keep the bulk of society functioning. They help provide a service in the form of entertainment, which is good but isn't [as] necessary as farming or power grid work.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ginette Reno posted:

Hopefully there wasn't any foul play. It's pretty tragic in either case. In addition to covering the sport for decades, he challenged Sports Illustrated for Covid related paycuts to employees (and got fired for it), and was in the process of covering migrant worker deaths in Qatar when he died. And of course was drawing some heat for wearing the pro LGTBQ shirt there on behalf of his brother and that community.

His brother claims that Wahl was getting death threats while in Qatar which will no doubt fuel concern over his sudden death

Do I think it's absolutely certain that the guy who was vocally pro-LGBTQ and was investigating corruption and workers' deaths was murdered by an authoritarian government that's shown absolutely no hesitation to spill blood for this World Cup, instead of getting sick very suddenly and passing away of a freak occurrence at a quite young age? In a country where the authorities warned their anti-LGBTQ stances on clothing, etc. were in the interest of those who might wear them and suffer violence? No, I don't. But I have to admit it seems reasonably likely, on the balance.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Cranappleberry posted:

looking at highly-paid actors and sports stars, it's definitely true that they make way more money than they should (but not as much as the studios and producers) compared to the value they generate, no matter how good they are or entertaining a movie/show is. And the bulk of the money is especially not going to the people actually doing most of the work of making the movie (writers, technical people like camera operators, sound, etc), like it should.

The difference between athletes, actors, etc and other jobs is that the former does not keep the bulk of society functioning. They help provide a service in the form of entertainment, which is good but isn't [as] necessary as farming or power grid work.

Interestingly, socialist and communist countries have traditionally supported the arts and athletics very well, because they recognize that it is a vital part of society, at least assuming you want people to feel decently fulfilled.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Cranappleberry posted:

looking at highly-paid actors and sports stars, it's definitely true that they make way more money than they should compared to the value they generate,
Steph Curry puts a ball through a hoop at a number of entertaining distances.

Bobby Kotick makes twice as much as Steph and all he did was enable sexual harassment and ruin Diablo

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

PT6A posted:

Interestingly, socialist and communist countries have traditionally supported the arts and athletics very well, because they recognize that it is a vital part of society, at least assuming you want people to feel decently fulfilled.

It's not unimportant, it's just not as important in a utilitarian sense. This is ironic because hunter-gatherers often had more free time and energy than early farmers, as well as better diets. Society was a mistake.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

ManBoyChef posted:

The other thing about proffessional sports is that unless you are a star you really are not making a lot of money. Hopefully you paid attention in college and are going to actually use that degree because as it is you will not be able to live off of what you made after your body is destroyed if you are just some rando on the team.

She makes 221k a year as a salary. We shouldn't have wasted time saving someone who made a dumb decision at a dumb time.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Shrecknet posted:

Steph Curry puts a ball through a hoop at a number of entertaining distances.

Bobby Kotick makes twice as much as Steph and all he did was enable sexual harassment and ruin Diablo

To add to this, Dan Snyder did a godawful job running the Washington franchise and an investigation just found that he fostered a culture of abuse and sexual harassment. In all likelihood he is going to sell the team in the off-season for a multi-billion dollar profit.

It's like that Chris Rock joke about the difference between being rich and being wealthy. Shaq is rich, the guy who signs his paychecks is wealthy.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Cranappleberry posted:

Fair enough. All true. I was just taking exception to the idea that they don't work hard or that it's not real work. Not sure if I agree with you about how much they "deserve" or not and always find it a sticky subject. Any society without art, entertainment and culture is not gonna look real nice, so I'd argue that their contributions help things function to some degree.

In the case of pro athletes, if you're one out of, say, 100,000 people that are the very best at what you do, there's an argument to be paid handsomely for it. I just pulled 100,000 out of my rear end but you know what I mean. In a lot of ways, the pay structure there is actually more fair, market driven and pure because no one can go out there and fake being great at basketball, baseball, golf or what have you the way someone like Elon or Trump can pretend to be business geniuses; and people are willing to pay to watch athletes do what they do

In the case of film making or music, it's not so cut and dry, of course, because the criteria of "what's good" or "who's good" is so subjective.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
I think people who actually create art can get a pass even if it's not a practical physical product necessary for living. I read once that evidence shows early humans created instruments before creating weapons of war*, and that brings me dangerously close to wielding the word "hope". Art and music brings people together and shares knowledge in a different way than straight up science and academia.

I will never stop making fun of actors and the people who cling to them though. "As somebody who pretends to be other people for a living, the world waits with bated breath for my next profound utterance". Cmon.

As much as athletes are often rich people having gym class, I also think celebrating strength teamwork and physical mastery is important. People should want to take pride in their bodies, and physicality is akin to language in the way it lets us interact with the world around us. It's objectively better to be strong and healthy, we should celebrate that.

Seems the real problems are the systems we create and monetize these efforts with, and the culture of fame and fortune lending more weight to these larger than life winners of our system. If the quarterback is talking about anything unrelated to their team and how they discipline themselves to throw a ball through an exhaust vent 13 miles away, we shouldn't really give a gently caress... but they're rich and famous so people will.

How people are compensated for what they do isn't necessarily their fault. That woman rotting in a Russian prison is obviously unjust and I'm glad it was stopped.

In general though, I do not relate to wealthy people. It's not necessarily how much you have, more how you live your life, what means and struggles you have. I work for rich folks and the things they get all twisted up about is often the dumbest poo poo, it really highlights class differences. Frothing mad about geese in their yard, pained despair over the rabbits eating their flowers. Having somebody with several enormous houses and no need to work wring their hands in desperation, pleading for a solution to this untenable problem... it's comical on its face but as somebody who works long hard dirty hours it's pretty gross. I guess I should just be thankful they talk to me like I'm people. I have a friendly repor with many of them, but there is no mistaking that the life they live renders them incapable of relating to any significant progressive economic change. You don't tolerate threats to the game when you're currently winning.

*think this was in a coffee table book, not exactly rigid academia so feel free to correct me if that's warranted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

If a member of the Barista Union was snagged up and the Barista Union wanted that member free and had a decent argument that they swung three senate elections and a state to Biden over the last two years, Biden would have a good reason to go to the wall for that Barista Union.

Biden returning the WNBPA's calls and the WNBPA being absolute in their demands is what got the goods here.