Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

Sweet! My last newbie question before I go off and explore: is there anything I need to make absolute sure I'm doing or I'm going to be annoyed later? Can I ignore professions or should I work on those too? I'm assuming professions are a whole mini progression ecosystem on their own and if I can hold off on learning that, it'd be aces

there's nothing (aside from deleting very old. characters) that you can do that's not recoverable trivially, crafting is a whole mini game and a decent way to make money but there's a buy in cost to even get to that level so you can safely ignore it until Later ™

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I also want better warrior shield.
Either give it a big boost to toughness or change CDs so we can do more reflexive blocking.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It definitely feels the most "stale" of any weapon skills, imo. You'd think "warrior with sword and shield" would be one of the most popular/desired professions, but here we are

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

big cummers ONLY posted:

Sweet! My last newbie question before I go off and explore: is there anything I need to make absolute sure I'm doing or I'm going to be annoyed later? Can I ignore professions or should I work on those too? I'm assuming professions are a whole mini progression ecosystem on their own and if I can hold off on learning that, it'd be aces

Join a goon guild to get some buffs and save money on using waypoints.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I will at some point but iirc it's a whole auth thing and I am just the laziest Friday boi.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

I will at some point but iirc it's a whole auth thing and I am just the laziest Friday boi.

for both guilds it's just joining the respective discord and belligerently demanding to be let in

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

jokes posted:

It definitely feels the most "stale" of any weapon skills, imo. You'd think "warrior with sword and shield" would be one of the most popular/desired professions, but here we are

That or ele and staff, and that sucks too

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah ele staff loving sucks, but staff fire 5 and water fire 5 are really good and cool

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Long term the only time crafting comes up as explicitly mandatory to engage with in some capacity is that some legendaries need a high level discipline or two, but by the time you actually get to a point where you might even consider going down that road you’ll have enough gold to just hit up GW2Crafts and use their TP scraping walkthroughs to powerlevel what you need relatively cheaply.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

jokes posted:

Yeah ele staff loving sucks, but staff fire 5 and water fire 5 are really good and cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRRmPwmkxW0

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Howard Beale posted:

Hell yes, I'm running a double axe Charr warrior to 80 right now and she just hacks and spins everywhere, it's great

Double axe Charr berserker! :eng101:

Axes hit so fast that she charges full adrenaline almost immediately. The berserker f1 axe skill is "if you land the hit, cooldown is reset". No cooldown plus rapidly charging adrenaline means you can all but spam f1. Lots of fun.

jokes posted:

Really wish they'd make warrior shield better, with less cooldowns or charges or something.

I use mace/shield on my weapon switch on my Spellbreaker. The stun works as an additional boon-strip, and it's nice to use the shield 5 in a pinch or right at the end of having used all other skills as a way to gain some cooldown.

E: but funnily enough, I did build that character as sword+shield originally, and yeah it's very underwhelming.

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm giving this another shot now that I have a nice gaming PC. This game is very pretty! Is there a class that is piss-easy to play in pve? Preferably a flashy spellcaster but my #1 priority is simplicity of playstyle so I can be stoned and distracted by TV as much as possible. I picked necro because she's a pretty goth mommy but only played for half an hour so far.
Just pick all the minion summoning skills, use power gear, and a weapon that does direct damage (ie, not bleeding or poison or whatever), like an axe. Definitely the easiest build I've ever played.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like to put on my shield the rune that gives you quickness when you disable an enemy, so pushing 4 gives me quickness on demand. Mix it with the physical utility skill, kick, and it's a good amount of control and stuff.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Awakened mount skins are back on sale. I like em because you can repaint them to look like proper armour:

Battle bunny!

I think that's the only skin you can do that with, too. I always felt silly being a big armoured fighter with no protection for my trusty mount...

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

They really should just make shields weapons instead of blocks, shield bashing is cool and good

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:

Spudd posted:

They really should just make shields weapons instead of blocks, shield bashing is cool and good

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Conjure_Earth_Shield :v:

For real though, conjure kits are really fun. It's just the mechanics of summoning them and picking them up that are rear end. My biggest wish in the game is for them to rework that part with minimal change to the actual skills.

jokes posted:

I've found that taking a conjure really helps when playing staff ele (in PvE). Since there are so many situational skills on staff, it helps having another set to spam while waiting on the staff skills that actually do damage to cooldown.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

I'm giving this another shot now that I have a nice gaming PC. This game is very pretty! Is there a class that is piss-easy to play in pve? Preferably a flashy spellcaster but my #1 priority is simplicity of playstyle so I can be stoned and distracted by TV as much as possible. I picked necro because she's a pretty goth mommy but only played for half an hour so far.
In addition to what others have said (use lots of minions and use Axe+X as your first weapon set), get yourself staff as the second weapon. It was buffed in recent patches, is ranged and godly for area damage and supporting during events with other players.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Thanks for all the tips, I joined a guild and played a bunch tonight. I think I will purchase content because I like the game and want to use the AH. What's the smart way to buy in? There seem to be a lot of things going on.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thanks for all the tips, I joined a guild and played a bunch tonight. I think I will purchase content because I like the game and want to use the AH. What's the smart way to buy in? There seem to be a lot of things going on.

The first two expansions (only available as a bundle) may still be on sale? If not, they almost certainly will be for Xmas. That will unlock permanent account-wide mounts and let you collect Tyrian mastery points so you can grab the autoloot mastery, which is a game-changer

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Spudd posted:

:confused:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield_Bash

Shield is a weapon. As much a weapon as any other.

Or did you mean it should be a main-hand weapon? Maybe a Guardian elite spec that's All Shields, All The Time?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

always follow the ABC rule: Always Be Mechanist

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Going to second the suggestions here: Necro is a great way to dip your toes into the game.

If you want a super lazy style, use minions. Eventually unlock blood and death skill trees and laugh in minion immortality. Deaths capace and vampiric aura will help keep your buddies alive and kicking. If you want to do big deeps or just look incredibly cool as a grim spectre of death, hit F1 and then mash some buttons.

If you want a more active play style, do the same, but when you get 80 and unlock your specializations, unlock reaper so you can equip a big fuckoff sword. Your F1 then goes from grim spectre of death to grim spectre of death with a big fuckoff sword and you can spin and slice and dice.

Eventually you'll want to unlock other specializations (I'd suggest harbinger next and save scourge for last) or other classes.

Definitely don't feel like you have to rush through things. Once you hit 80 and have exotic gear you can do all the content in the game (except high level fractals require slightly different gear that can be expensive to make or rare to find)

As you go through the different zones, keep an eye on the World Boss chart/timetable ( on the wiki ). It will show you the next world bosses and where they are. If there are any near the zones you are in, you should hit those up. It's fun and a nice break from quests or story missions or whatever.

Also wintersday (seasonal event) is coming up soon. It can be overwhelming at first, but Mukluk (YouTube) has a good series called 'get to the point' which can help you understand the events and what to do and how to earn rewards.

Later on, Engineer is an awesome class once you unlock mechanist. It can feel a little underwhelming (in terms of doing things outside of flamethrowering things) before that.

In the meantime, just play in a way that lets you have fun. The end game is just fashion. Seriously. There's so much time to do things and have fun. Plus, you can't go back to being a newbie and experiencing everything for the first time again, so take your time. This is doubly true because there's no subscription fees.

Last but not least, I'd suggest waiting for a sale on the Dlc1 and Dlc2 (heart of thorns and path of fire) and then pick them up in a bundle. Eventually you'll also want End of Dragons, but PoF will unlock account wide mount availability starting at lvl 10 I think, so it's very worth it.

Hope this helps!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

:same:

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019
So I just hit 80 and it sounds like needing to gear up for resistances as the end game means this like basically path of exile? I do enjoy the masteries but it seems like going from 80 to 81 is taking forever, and my reward is faster walking in sities and being a 'mentor?' Im not seeing the progression at 80+ being rewarding

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the best and only actually good "red mastery" (aka base game) reward you can get is the autoloot, which you get from the advanced logistics point of pact commander mastery. it takes a while to unlock but it's more than worth it.

fractal attunement mastery is alright if you're gonna run fractals a lot (fractals are short 5 man dungeons), but also completely optional so get autoloot first since it makes the entire game more enjoyable to play

legendary crafting mastery is a waste of time so only ever do that one if you're ever finished with the other two

now the tricky part: you can only level red masteries in base game zones. as soon as you hit an expansion area, you'll get masteries/exp for that specific expansion which only level up there

some masteries take a long while to "level up", and you need to have mastery points banked up to actually claim them once the xp is filled out, but the points are generally a non-issue since you get so many just doing random things and exploring maps

e: the red masteries are very boring affairs. you get more interesting poo poo like gliding and mounts in the expansions

e2: also, you only need agony resistance for high level fractals, it's a thing you slot into ascended items and you definitely don't have to worry about that yet

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 10, 2022

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Hyperlynx posted:

:confused:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Shield_Bash

Shield is a weapon. As much a weapon as any other.

Or did you mean it should be a main-hand weapon? Maybe a Guardian elite spec that's All Shields, All The Time?

Yes sorry I worded it poorly, I was thinking like a silly main hand shield so you can cosplay as your favourite dark soul.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The mentor tag from core masteries is also nice.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

LordAdakos posted:

Last but not least, I'd suggest waiting for a sale on the Dlc1 and Dlc2 (heart of thorns and path of fire) and then pick them up in a bundle. Eventually you'll also want End of Dragons, but PoF will unlock account wide mount availability starting at lvl 10 I think, so it's very worth it.

Thanks for the effortport! Are there going to be pain points related to being a free account while I wait for a sale? I will probably burn through the ten hours of free mount in the next week or two.

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

big cummers ONLY posted:

Thanks for the effortport! Are there going to be pain points related to being a free account while I wait for a sale? I will probably burn through the ten hours of free mount in the next week or two.

The only big pain points in f2p leveling are the tp and chat limitations and not being able to go into Lion's Arch until you're like level 27 (and running out of mount time) most of the expansion stuff becomes available at 80.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
During leveling, no, but at 80 you can't do virtually anything with a f2p account.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

big cummers ONLY posted:

There is a way to get another 10 hours of Raptor trial after the first runs out (and as many as you want after that). Shoot me a DM, if you are interested. All perfectly legal, I think it's an oversight by the devs. But would be a shame for the F2P players and alt accounts if it got fixed.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

kneelbeforezog posted:

So I just hit 80 and it sounds like needing to gear up for resistances as the end game means this like basically path of exile?

No, it's not anything like elemental damage resistance.

It's literally just that you can't play higher level fractals without socketing "agony resistance" items into your equipment, they only go in special slots for agony resistance, and ascended tier equipment have these special slots in addition to the standard upgrade slots.

Without enough agony resistance, you take constant damage while you're in the fractal. That's it. No resisting fire/ice/poison attacks from fire/ice/poison monsters or whatever.

And this mechanism is only for doing fractals, which are kind of a certain kind of dungeon or small party raid. If you don't do fractals (and in years and years of playing, I've hardly ever) then you don't need to bother with agony resistance at all.

To be quite honest, I don't actually know why it's in the game, from a gameplay mechanics point of view. It's very "find red key for red door, find blue key for blue door, these keys are otherwise useless", not organic at all...

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

For the newer folks, if this is your jam then I highly recommend trying engineer with the Mortar elite. 1500 range, indirect fire for hitting over walls, AoE fields for area denial, and you hold 1 button to rain a stream of explosives on large groups. Lots of numbers, lots of bags, and as low risk as you can get. It's a good way to dip your toe into WvW zerging.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Mortar kit rules. I killed like 5-6 people the other day who literally just stood still in my mortar fire. All they had to do was walk 3-4 steps out of my AoE and they’d have been fine, didn’t even need to dodge or use a skill.

And yet they didn’t move.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hyperlynx posted:

It's literally just that you can't play higher level fractals without socketing "agony resistance" items into your equipment, they only go in special slots for agony resistance, and ascended tier equipment have these special slots in addition to the standard upgrade slots.

Without enough agony resistance, you take constant damage while you're in the fractal. That's it. No resisting fire/ice/poison attacks from fire/ice/poison monsters or whatever.

And this mechanism is only for doing fractals, which are kind of a certain kind of dungeon or small party raid. If you don't do fractals (and in years and years of playing, I've hardly ever) then you don't need to bother with agony resistance at all.

To be quite honest, I don't actually know why it's in the game, from a gameplay mechanics point of view. It's very "find red key for red door, find blue key for blue door, these keys are otherwise useless", not organic at all...
After the game launched they didn't seem to have any idea on how to keep people playing except for "FOMO content, maybe???" and ~E-SPORTS~, so here we go, new gear tier that wasn't allowed to be too powerful (it already made people mad enough as it is, for the game that was supposed to not have new gear tiers with new content) but still needed to give people a reason to farm it (nowadays they would just heap endless QoL features on top of it in form of legendaries I bet, but that was not a feature in 2012/2013).

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh, huh. I only started playing just before Heart of Thorns came out. It's always seemed reasonably well thought out to me, funny to hear that that wasn't always the case

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean, they made GW1 so they probably did have the idea to eventually do an expansion, but the early years were all the temporary LS1 content they (mostly) just re-released in permanent form this year.

Basically people poopsocked legendaries much faster than anticipated and "finished" the game, so they released ascended as a step in between to keep the poopsockers busy and give people not doing legendaries something to do as well:
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

It definitely came across as a "poo poo we gotta add something" measure at the time and you can tell with how it doesn't really make sense, like you stated.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Such an odd choice... I do like how ascended tier equipment is still not required at all for the rest of the game content.

It's interesting to see back into the history of the game!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

At the begining, agony was additional damage done through certain attacks. It also was a check point for Maw. IM pretty sure that even now its certain attacks that add agony and not a constant effect?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

I wouldn't hate to see agony resist go just to trim down on legacy mechanics for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saraiguma
Oct 2, 2014

Meskhenet posted:

At the begining, agony was additional damage done through certain attacks. It also was a check point for Maw. IM pretty sure that even now its certain attacks that add agony and not a constant effect?

It depends on the fractal