Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

You are wise.

Buy me a new one for Christmas.

On a mod's salary!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

what an amazing snipe. sorry.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Took the bacon pieces I've been curing out of their vacuum bags today to start the drying phase, two weeks basically now in the bags.

They did not come out evenly dark red all over, some places look lighter in color. I am not sure if they should all come out as dark as the darkest areas. It's kinda what I had hoped for.

But perhaps the dark red will still come as they dry and then are smoked. I have them on a plate in my fridge on the top shelf now, hoping they won't absorb funk but I don't have a better way really.

I built a small smoking "shed" for the cold smoking part, but we're having colder temps now, nearing -10C and next week -14C so not good smoking weather... I had hoped for a spell of mild weather.

I cut off a small slice and fried it up! It's a bit on the salty side so in the future I think I'll aim for 2.5% rather than the 3%! But still perfectly good! Tastes bacon-ish but lacking something yet. And this was the piece I used liquid smoke on. So perhaps best I smoke it too...

Tiny smoke shed, sorta looks like an outhouse, made from cut offs from another project:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So I thought I'd be getting a new thermometer but today Masterbuilt sent me a whole new control unit. It's already dark out or I'd swap it out and test it out but that's probably a tomorrow task

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
My partner's dad was given a smoker as a present, and I was looking at giving him a few accessories to help him on his way. Would this book be appropriate for a novice? It seems to have been well-reviewed on a bunch of different sites. I've also got an Inkbird bluetooth thermometer and a roll of pink paper.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Looks like a solid book to me. The other two gifts are great as well.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Fall Dog posted:

My partner's dad was given a smoker as a present, and I was looking at giving him a few accessories to help him on his way. Would this book be appropriate for a novice? It seems to have been well-reviewed on a bunch of different sites. I've also got an Inkbird bluetooth thermometer and a roll of pink paper.

The inkbird wifi thermometer is on sale for 49.99 on Amazon (99.99 with $50 coupon) would recommend over the Bluetooth one if you can return the Bluetooth. Bluetooth kinda sucks between walls etc. If he can reach his AP wireless basically gives you infinite range. Like you can go to the store and see your temps and run back if something is wrong.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Cold smoked my bacon today, so it's been drying one week in the fridge. Longer than I planned.

I had to keep a small charcoal fire going to keep the inside warm enough. Eventually I replaced the pile with an off cut of chimney pipe and put a grate in it to keep the coals up from the bottom. This made a sort of chimney starter, much easier to keep the charcoals going then.

Tastes like bacon! Now I wonder how to handle it best, should I slice them all up and vacuum pack into suitable packages. Can I freeze them or will they keep in the fridge?

I might smoke it more tomorrow too.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Do you guys dry brine pork butts? Or just season a bit before putting on the smoker?

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

His Divine Shadow posted:

Cold smoked my bacon today, so it's been drying one week in the fridge. Longer than I planned.

I had to keep a small charcoal fire going to keep the inside warm enough. Eventually I replaced the pile with an off cut of chimney pipe and put a grate in it to keep the coals up from the bottom. This made a sort of chimney starter, much easier to keep the charcoals going then.

Tastes like bacon! Now I wonder how to handle it best, should I slice them all up and vacuum pack into suitable packages. Can I freeze them or will they keep in the fridge?

I might smoke it more tomorrow too.

I'm extremely jealous of your smoker-outhouse.
Hasn't seen a lot of use so far though, has it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Thanks, first thing I smoked in it was this bacon. Built it for the bacon smoking from off-cuts.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Dango Bango posted:

Do you guys dry brine pork butts? Or just season a bit before putting on the smoker?

When I am planning it enough in advance I always hit with 1.5% weight dry rub (4 parts salt, 4 parts pepper, 1 part Lawry's, by weight) then vac and let sit for 2 days. When it's time to smoke, pull it out and hit it with another 1.5% rub all over, then into the smoker.

If I don't have time, I'll do all the rub right before. It's noticeably not as good, but still great. I'll usually mix in more salt after pulling to make up for the lack of all the way through seasoning.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Dango Bango posted:

This has come up once or twice, and I feel like the consensus of this thread is, “it can’t hurt.”

If I have time in advance, I’ll definitely dry brine my butts first. I just sprinkle a little salt on them and let them hang out in the fridge overnight until smoke time.

Only caution I will bring is to be careful your main bbq rub doesn’t have too much salt in it. Otherwise, with what you used for the dry brine, could make it a little too salty.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Odd question, but has anyone smoked a brisket without any seasoning? My parents are coming out for Christmas and my mom has a bunch of dietary restrictions that include "no seasoning or spices, not even salt if you can avoid it."

Just curious if it would be worthwhile to smoke a naked brisket or not.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can definitely do just s+p and love it, but paring it back beyond that seems unenjoyable for most people

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Anne Whateley posted:

You can definitely do just s+p and love it, but paring it back beyond that seems unenjoyable for most people

Maybe do like s+p on 3/4 of the brisket and leave the rest naked. My first thought was just cut off the bark on some and serve, but I'm sure some of the delicious outside seeps inside during the cooking/cooking process.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

sinburger posted:

Odd question, but has anyone smoked a brisket without any seasoning? My parents are coming out for Christmas and my mom has a bunch of dietary restrictions that include "no seasoning or spices, not even salt if you can avoid it."

You can, but I wouldn't.
Brisket isn't cheap and requires a lot of time so hamstringing yourself like this, if you're going to even skip salt you're only going to get the meat and smoke and it's going to be seriously lacking.
If you really wanted to do beef, maybe a steak? The sear will say least give her something, and you can make yours and for everyone else normally.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

You could also try separating the flat and the point and leave one unseasoned and be other seasoned normally.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Another option is to do a chuck roast on the side, cook it like a brisket or shred it, it'll still be pretty fuckin delicious.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll skip the brisket and go with steaks or something instead. There's a new butcher in town so I can pick up something nice and quality.

No sense wasting a brisket on a bad idea, even with good intentions.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

sinburger posted:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll skip the brisket and go with steaks or something instead. There's a new butcher in town so I can pick up something nice and quality.

No sense wasting a brisket on a bad idea, even with good intentions.

Respect either way, good luck on your cook!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Chuck roast would be a good idea, as mentioned.

If you've never had a sirloin cap / picahna / coulotte, that's also a great route. I'd say maybe tri-tip, too, but I think a sirloin cap would be better without spices.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

sinburger posted:

crondaily posted:

Respect either way, good luck on your cook!

This. Didn't know I had a sibling out there that I hadn't met before but it do be like that sometimes :respek:

Best of luck feeding your mom adequately while also providing flavor to the human beings in your life.

I promise this isn't shitposty or snarky; I struggle with the same exact issue. In the end it's just easier to cook a different piece of meat to her specifications.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

crondaily posted:

Another option is to do a chuck roast on the side, cook it like a brisket or shred it, it'll still be pretty fuckin delicious.

This is actually a pretty good idea.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

This is actually a pretty good idea.

This is currently my go-to if I'm not doing a pork butt, it's cheap, easy, and delicious.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I picked up some boneless beef chuck ribs yesterday because the marbling straight up looked like wagyu despite being choice grade.

I'm probably just gonna throw them on the smoker despite them being slender individual rib cuts, but anyone have any other suggestions?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

I picked up some boneless beef chuck ribs yesterday because the marbling straight up looked like wagyu despite being choice grade.

I'm probably just gonna throw them on the smoker despite them being slender individual rib cuts, but anyone have any other suggestions?

Do you mean aside from smoking them? Braising would be a good option. Maybe sous vide with a reverse sear?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Kaddish posted:

Do you mean aside from smoking them? Braising would be a good option. Maybe sous vide with a reverse sear?

Yeah aside from smoking them. And I don't have sous vide equipment.

Honestly I think I'm just gonna hit 'em low and slow on the smoker.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Dango Bango posted:

Yeah aside from smoking them. And I don't have sous vide equipment.

Honestly I think I'm just gonna hit 'em low and slow on the smoker.

I actually made some baby backs in the oven for the first time since.....years I guess. My wife prefers them that way. I forgot how good even oven-baked ribs are.

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I remembered I have a chateaubriand and some filet mignon in the freezer so I'm going to to a roast for the fam and pan fry a steak for mom.

My local grocer periodically brings in untrimmed beef tenderloins every few months, and I like to grab one break it down and bury it in the freezer, like a squirrel with a long nut.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
People who store their masterbilt electric smoker outside, do you do anything beyond just use the cover? I had to thoroughly dry my control unit out and apply some WD40. I was thinking of plastic wrapping to the control unit then the cover. The garage is on the exact opposite side of the house from where I need to use it and I don't have a shed.

I always covered it, I'm not sure how the control unit ended up like that. Might have been from the previous owner, I got it secondhand.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 22, 2022

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Comb Your Beard posted:

People who store their masterbilt electric smoker outside, do you do anything beyond just use the cover? I had to thoroughly dry my control unit out and apply some WD40. I was thinking of plastic wrapping to the control unit then the cover. The garage is on the exact opposite side of the house from where I need to use it and I don't have a shed.

I always covered it, I'm not sure how the control unit ended up like that. Might have been from the previous owner, I got it secondhand.

I unplug the control unit and keep it in the house, then put the cover on.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

FlameBoss updated their iOS app yesterday to include google ads. What the gently caress? As best I can tell the green egg version of it hasn’t been hosed up so it may just be the call to move over to that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m was gifted a MEATER +. Can this take the place of my SMOKE? It registers both meat temp and ambient temp so it seems comparable, but it’s just so small and simple.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’m was gifted a MEATER +. Can this take the place of my SMOKE? It registers both meat temp and ambient temp so it seems comparable, but it’s just so small and simple.

You forgot to fill in the variables on your posting template

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I mean, just try it and find out. Use both on the first cook.

I'm doing a double-smoked ham with a bourbon glaze for Christmas dinner.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Just went out to temp my prime rib. The leave-in probe of my Smoke says 115. My Thermapen says 135. Must have been closer to the bone than I thought.

:gonk:

e: I gave it an extended rest without foil before the sear in the hope that some of the heat would dissipate outwards rather than inwards, definitely overshot my mark but I got away with something acceptably medium-ish (albeit closer to medium well)

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 25, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Got the old man one of the Flame Boss units for his egg, but I screwed up and didn’t get one of the kamodo units so he can’t use it. Anyone figure they would send out a mounting plate if I called or should I just have him swap it out?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm about to put a standing rib roast on to smoke and my Signals has died. Christmas is ruined. :whitewater:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Also my food processor is now broken because a little plastic piece on the lid broke off and now the whole goddamn thing doesn't work. Very merry Christmas at my house!