Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Q&A debacle seems like prime material to trigger... you know... him... into another 8000 word rant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Only Kindness posted:

Q&A debacle seems like prime material to trigger... you know... him... into another 8000 word rant.

Yeah I was thinking the same - I sense quill nibs being sharpened as we speak... the predicted 8,000 word Ithinkyou'llfind.txt can only be moments away.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Contemplate with nice thoughts and utterances.

Only Kindness posted:

Backers dissatisfied with the Q&A are obvious agents of the secret cabal!

Taxxe:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Dwesa posted:

what is aerodynamics?

:reddit: Cutlass in VTOL mode has some insane vertical speed.

https://v.redd.it/qu7mrwdu0u4a1/DASH_480.mp4

Pro no clip mouse look ftw.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

"I don't know of any other gaming company that have PES technology" :roflolmao:

Also PES is totally done and working,they can move to the next pillar tech now! :woop:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

4th Stimpire Queen posted:

"I don't know of any other gaming company that have PES technology" :roflolmao:

Also PES is totally done and working,they can move to the next pillar tech now! :woop:

Yes.

Having a single database cluster is unheard of.

Why I bet they could sell this to Amazon. Imagine if you logged in from the webpage or the mobile app and your user and purchase history was there from when you bought something from the other app/page.

My goodness! Think of the possibilities!

Unfortunately this is taking the many realms from World of Warcraft, and having everyone connect to a single realm. Anything anyone does in any part of the world just gets tracked back to that single database.

I guess this will be super cute because it's possible you could see items appear and disappear as people who aren't on your network instance are interacting with junk and that's sent and recorded back to the single database to be distributed to clients.

Overall having stuff be persistent in the world itself in an MMO is just a corny and dumb idea that looks a lot more interesting than it will actually be. It's a lot of work (maybe, who knows what cig does) that will probably just be disabled or removed because nobody at cig seems to have the capability to imagine something being implemented in an MMO environment.

I feel like everyone thinks of a single player game like Skyrim, or the players will never blob together in a single area.

How many items can be in an area? How long will it be before somebody drops 200 watermelons and crashes the server? Silly. :)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/0uEqoch.mp4

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Dwesa posted:

what is aerodynamics?

:reddit: Cutlass in VTOL mode has some insane vertical speed.

Two words: lol fidelity

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

One word: loldelity

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
God you know this year has been poo poo for Star Citizen when streamers are making videos about me to have any content to discuss, at all

Lol

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

BoredGamer,
You must be a platinum member to read this text.

Hope that helps. In closing:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Just a polite reminder to use the opsec channel for this kind of poo poo, obviously BG reads this forum and is smart enough to see what is going on here. We're getting complacent and sloppy and need to regain some level of discipline if we're ever to be effective in this campaign. This may be a joke to some of you but others here have put years long effort into these operations ffs so have a little respect for the long game goons

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Having to scold the thread about the obvious this makes me feel a little like this momma cat smdh

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SadSeparateCoyote-mobile.mp4

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Thoatse posted:

Just a polite reminder to use the opsec channel for this kind of poo poo, obviously BG reads this forum and is smart enough to see what is going on here. We're getting complacent and sloppy and need to regain some level of discipline if we're ever to be effective in this campaign. This may be a joke to some of you but others here have put years long effort into these operations ffs so have a little respect for the long game goons

seeing how this operation plays out exactly as planned for over 10 years makes me pregnant with excitement

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

God you know this year has been poo poo for Star Citizen when streamers are making videos about me to have any content to discuss, at all

Lol

I particularly enjoy that the first 4.5 minutes are dedicated to explaining why nothing you posted is legit before discussing said illegitimate rumors for 10 minutes.

Star Citizen is so content starved this is all that's left.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
They should all become pregnant with Chris' ideas. They can raise new infant tier 0's.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

"May the verse be ever in your favor" -Oreginal

Did this mother fucker quote himself at the end of his post??

"May your piss jars be warm" -Mellow_

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Popete posted:

I particularly enjoy that the first 4.5 minutes are dedicated to explaining why nothing you posted is legit before discussing said illegitimate rumors for 10 minutes.

Star Citizen is so content starved this is all that's left.

It was the repeated invocation of "server meshing" that did it for me. For gently caress's sake, BG, just call server meshing "pixie dust," because that's what you're basically hoping it will be.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/1/28/18197892/star-citizen-50-player-battle-video-rexzilla

I just remembered this article, take a quiet stroll through memory lane for some laughs.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/SandiRoberts42/status/1601261189656285184

They're pre-filming CitizenCon2023 a year early? looooool

edit: Sandi just confirmed in Twitter DMs :trustme:

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 10, 2022

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Virtual Captain posted:

Yay!

I'm glad backer money is being spent where it needs to be: making movies and videos. :3:

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Yay!

I'm glad backer money is being spent where it needs to be: making movies and videos. :3:

Tell me how if you watch the Wing Commander The Movie credits that after them there is a post credit scene alluding to Star Citizen ...... :fap:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

Look how much money they spent on making a studio to film videos talking about their video game. Any other video game company just makes a trailer video of game play but of course CIG can't do that cause they can't make the game so instead you get hundreds of hours of random CIG employee interviews.

At least the background looks nice well Jared explains why PES didn't pan out but the next miracle tech will surely be the one.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Tell me how if you watch the Wing Commander The Movie credits that after them there is a post credit scene alluding to Star Citizen ...... :fap:

Well it all starts with my dildo shaped like the pilgrims cross...

It gets lewd from there. :shlick:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

Look how much money they spent on making a studio to film videos talking about their video game. Any other video game company just makes a trailer video of game play but of course CIG can't do that cause they can't make the game so instead you get hundreds of hours of random CIG employee interviews.

At least the background looks nice well Jared explains why PES didn't pan out but the next miracle tech will surely be the one.

Cig doesn't play their own game so hard they steal screenshots off of Twitter to print on their own celebration cake.

Cig doesn't play their own game so hard the in-game community is apparently vile and complains about the game bunches... and nobody stops them because cig is nowhere to be found in the game.

So if you find yourself being banned or your threads closed or being moved to concern, just say the same stuff in-game. Nobody is there to stop you :lol:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Virtual Captain posted:

Hype from :reddit:

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Your daily insanity.

Most upvoted comment;

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 10, 2022

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Your daily insanity.

Most upvoted comment;

This guy knows dreams can change over time right?

So chasing them can be never ending.

That's not what a responsablie professonal would do.

A con man would.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

Kosumo posted:

This guy knows dreams can change over time right?

So chasing them can be never ending.

That's not what a responsablie professonal would do.

A con man would.

He's right though, most sane people would shush their conscience and just keep siphoning money from backers to live the good life doing basically nothing.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

my guess is that this is an event to string along the rubes one more year.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

TheAgent posted:

Lol

Can't believe how this thread has cat videos, top quality shitposting, as well as the best curated collection of best-of-spectrum/reddit, yet youtubers choose to cover leaks instead.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 10, 2022

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Just saw an article about "Portal with RTX".

To me, it's a pretty weird concept that someone would have spent time on such a project when the original Portal is graphically fine, and apart from minor improvements to the lighting I can't even really imagine what it improves. For sure it won't improve the gameplay and the puzzles which are 100% Portal's selling point.

So I guess to start citizens it just got 10x better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shazback posted:

To me, it's a pretty weird concept that someone would have spent time on such a project when the original Portal is graphically fine, and apart from minor improvements to the lighting I can't even really imagine what it improves. For sure it won't improve the gameplay and the puzzles which are 100% Portal's selling point.

It's developed by NVIDIA, it's basically just a marketing campaign to sell graphics cards.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I have a ray-tracing story (doesn't everyone?) that, in a roundabout way, is a Star Citizen cautionary tale (isn't everything?)

Back in college, I had taken a computer graphics course, and the final submission for the semester was a ray-traced scene of our choosing, and it had to include certain graphical elements that indicated what we had learned in class. Reflections, light through fog, that kind of thing.

Now this was back when the Amiga was brand new, and those were the systems we were expected to do the work on. This was not in the day of frames per second, or even seconds per frame. This was in the day of "let's leave this single wireframe scene rendering overnight and tomorrow we'll look at the first half of the picture and see if we need to abort, or if it looks like it will come out as expected."

Which is not the ideal condition for a guy who didn't do any of the work until the day it was due. Panic ensued, because no matter how much work I put in, I was up against the hard reality of how long this scene would take to render a final product, even if I had constructed it perfectly, which I had not. I was done for!

But was I? In my panicked haze a realization struck me - we weren't being graded on the work, we were being graded on the final product - which was a single scene of our own choosing. There was no way to know, after the fact, how that scene was constructed.

I set to work. Light streaming through a window? That's a 95% transparent cone with yellow lighting, placed by hand in a way that looked right to the eye. Reflections? That's what a horizontal or vertical flip is for, with a bit of distortion for good measure. Water reflection? Just smear it like Bob Ross did with his wet-on-wet approach to painting (thankfully I watched a lot of that as a kid.)

So my "fake" work earned an A. The moral of the story? In the real world, when you're trying to sell a product, you're judged on your output, not on the work you put in, or how you did the work. CIG's entire business model is based on being fellated for their bumbling attempts, when in a just world they would be castigated for their endless failure.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
You filthy cheater you.

4th Stimpire Queen
May 4, 2022

I dunno, I feel like $8.5K is rookie numbers.

quote:

Ironic eh? People are begging for information regarding Squadron 42 and you want them to shut up about it.

Here's the thing that makes me happy to hear - "we're playing it". They keep saying that this year "we're playing it". Nearly every team member who appears on camera is saying, "We're playing it".

Why do some people forget that the reason people go into the game making industry is because they are passionate about games, all games. They have played more games, know more about games that any 100 of us put together. I've met many of the team and this is the point that stands out, they have forgotten more about games than any one of us will ever know. If they are excited for a game, if they are playing it and it makes them believe enough to keep working on it rather than shove it out the door half assed then it's very very likely the rest of us are going to be blown away by it.

We never asked for the quickest, we never asked for the cheapest, we never asked for the easiest - we wanted, we supported and paid for, we have waited patiently for the best drat space game ever. I do not want them to rush it because of an impatient noisy few.

This is, and always has been the community's game project and not a single time that I have spoken to dev team members have they ever failed to appreciate that. They have gone far above what we asked them, they aren't just making a game to play a few times and forget they are making a whole game universe to tell endless amounts of stories in for years to come, a universe that will inspire other storytellers to come and join in. The detractors joke that our grandkids will be playing this game - YES EXACTLY - we have together made something that will last!

The best takes time and dedication from us as well as the development team members, the fact that we are seeing them using both in spades is a good indicator of how it is going, not a bad one.

I'm as impatient as any, and with over $8.5K given in support I think I'd have a right to be more impatient than the average BUT I NEVER WANTED A GAME JUST FOR ME, I could have gotten that for just $60.
I wanted the best drat game that could be made - FOR EVERYONE!

4th Stimpire Queen fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 10, 2022

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

only $8.5k? it turns out piss cat is a fake fan

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

The technology hasn't caught up to my homework assignment :colbert:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Shazback posted:

It also has crashing problems and low framerates so citizens will feel right at home. :colbert:

Still pretty cool though, admittedly, once you play with the settings enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Virtual Captain posted:

The technology hasn't caught up to my homework assignment :colbert:

If I'd been a true disciple of CRoberts, I'd have conscripted someone else to do the work for me, signed my own name on it, and it would have crashed when they tried to close it with "Thank you for grading my assignment!"

Once I changed a pixel to green.