Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Sometimes this game just hates you. My last four new cards were Wasp, Drax, Black Cat, and Crystal.

Wasp is good with Lockjaw, at least.

Anyone have any ideas what to do with Adam Warlock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Quackles posted:

Wasp is good with Lockjaw, at least.

Anyone have any ideas what to do with Adam Warlock?

Put him with Lizard or Ebony Maw or something and draw a bunch of cards.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Sometimes this game just hates you. My last four new cards were Wasp, Drax, Black Cat, and Crystal.

Wasp was my first token shop pickup, I'm thinking of getting her in my Patriot deck for a bit extra power in the Doom/Ultron lane

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Mr.PayDay posted:

Do you use She Hulk as well?

No I don’t have her. I just use Sunspot, Lizard and Storm to win one location, with Armor for protection, then Scorpion to be an rear end in a top hat, and win the other location with Infinaut.

Maybe some people think I’m a dumb bot - I’ve had more than a few snap me back in the last round.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I've been using Black Cat in my discard deck and she works surprisingly well, although admittedly I'd happily drop her for either Hell Cow or Ghost Rider.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's laughably transparent how your chance of a new card just gets cut in half at 1000 CL. It's not even after you've hit a card collection threshold or anything. Just "okay after this arbitrary amount of loot boxes we're turning the dial down".

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Xguard86 posted:

Yes please. I hate that homunculus killmonger default card.

Agreed on all counts.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Having the biggest trouble climbing, and then you run into opponents that snap when they are 'winning' on the board, but:

* they don't have a huge or even big lead
* this is a 7 turn game
* they have filled all their spots (including a 0-power silver surfer on the space throne)
* I still have space left (including said space throne)

Has to be a bot right?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I once a enemy Cable's animation glitch out for half a second so I knew my opponent got my Jubilee. However, this Twitch clip is even more special.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

Tender Bender posted:

It's laughably transparent how your chance of a new card just gets cut in half at 1000 CL. It's not even after you've hit a card collection threshold or anything. Just "okay after this arbitrary amount of loot boxes we're turning the dial down".

If the rate of getting new cards was even across collection levels, being at the beginning would be a much worse experience. Frontloading acquisition reduces the pain of being at the start of a pool, but the result is arbitrary thresholds where the rate changes.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I mean, isn't that the formula for every phone game ever?

Progress is a rocket car early on in order to get you invested, and then once you're hooked it slows things down in order to tempt you to start spending money because the next upgrade is right there.

I will say that personally, I think Snap has been a little better about this since it's at least easing you into the mechanics of the game as you progress to where everything "really" begins.
I've downloaded plenty of games that just throw new feature after new feature at you without ever actually explaining what they do, just a mandatory "click here, now click here" tutorial section designed to shunt you to the next gate that keeps you away from the real game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've got Arnim Zola in the shop right now and I'm kind of going back and forth on him. My pool 3 collection is getting pretty solid at this point but there are still a few more generally useful cards like Aero and Sera that I'm missing. I also don't think I'd particularly enjoy the playstyle of the Black Panther deck that runs him, but I am itching to play Mr. Negative and I know he's a good payoff card there. Buy it or pass? These are the pool 3 cards I don't have at this point. I'm thinking probably pass; I will likely hold out for one of the cards mentioned above or Cerebro because that deck looks really fun to me.

Also I randomly opened my first series 4 card and it was Agent Coulson -- doesn't seem too exciting but I guess you stick him with Collector and Quinjet and the other SHIELD cards? I do not have Quinjet yet either.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vanilla Bison posted:

If the rate of getting new cards was even across collection levels, being at the beginning would be a much worse experience. Frontloading acquisition reduces the pain of being at the start of a pool, but the result is arbitrary thresholds where the rate changes.

the_steve posted:

I mean, isn't that the formula for every phone game ever?

Progress is a rocket car early on in order to get you invested, and then once you're hooked it slows things down in order to tempt you to start spending money because the next upgrade is right there.

I will say that personally, I think Snap has been a little better about this since it's at least easing you into the mechanics of the game as you progress to where everything "really" begins.
I've downloaded plenty of games that just throw new feature after new feature at you without ever actually explaining what they do, just a mandatory "click here, now click here" tutorial section designed to shunt you to the next gate that keeps you away from the real game.

I mean, yeah, I understand how f2p transactions work. That doesn't make it good. Don't worry, I'll keep paying for this slop.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I hate seeing cards in the token shop that I constantly get beaten by because I want to buy them but I have my mind set on other cards that would be more generally useful.

Taskmaster's in the shop now but I'm holding out for Wave, Mystique, and/or Mr Negative as two of those three would round out a couple of workhorse decks I have. Really mad at myself now for passing up on Brood a couple days ago since my Surfer deck has quickly risen to the top of my usage.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

goferchan posted:

I've got Arnim Zola in the shop right now and I'm kind of going back and forth on him. My pool 3 collection is getting pretty solid at this point but there are still a few more generally useful cards like Aero and Sera that I'm missing. I also don't think I'd particularly enjoy the playstyle of the Black Panther deck that runs him, but I am itching to play Mr. Negative and I know he's a good payoff card there. Buy it or pass? These are the pool 3 cards I don't have at this point. I'm thinking probably pass; I will likely hold out for one of the cards mentioned above or Cerebro because that deck looks really fun to me.

Also I randomly opened my first series 4 card and it was Agent Coulson -- doesn't seem too exciting but I guess you stick him with Collector and Quinjet and the other SHIELD cards? I do not have Quinjet yet either.

I wouldn’t buy anything that isn’t Sera, Doom, or Dracula (I’m still missing Dracula…)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I'm pretty new to the game despite playing the beta. I bounced off it pretty hard originally, not sure why exactly, but decided to give it another chance this week and got hooked. Threw together a deck that has only failed me a couple times in my last 20 or so matches, which surprises the hell out of me. Basically just reliant on White Tiger surprising the opponent at a weakly defensed spot or Spectrum/Odin buffing a team into turning the tide. Open to suggestions and criticism of babby's first super squad.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

New Leaf posted:

I'm pretty new to the game despite playing the beta. I bounced off it pretty hard originally, not sure why exactly, but decided to give it another chance this week and got hooked. Threw together a deck that has only failed me a couple times in my last 20 or so matches, which surprises the hell out of me. Basically just reliant on White Tiger surprising the opponent at a weakly defensed spot or Spectrum/Odin buffing a team into turning the tide. Open to suggestions and criticism of babby's first super squad.

I'm not a fan of White Tiger. On her own it's too random and too small. You basically need Wong AND Odin to turn it into a win.

My experience anyway.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

uXs posted:

I'm not a fan of White Tiger. On her own it's too random and too small. You basically need Wong AND Odin to turn it into a win.

My experience anyway.

You'd be surprised how often she's worked out for me. I'll generally fill a spot with something like Quicksilver, Cap, and a pair of Sinisters so its full up, Mr Fantastic and Medusa in the middle, then ignore a spot or drop someone solo like Colossus or Punisher so they're focusing on the other two spaces. White Tiger comes out near the end, the tigers can't spawn in the same spot as her, so it will always go to the zone that needs shoring up. Then Odin or Spectrum show up, and I either get a second tiger there or buff up everyone else. BUT like I said - early days for me and I don't have Wong unfortunately. Could all fall apart soon.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

New Leaf posted:

This is pretty similar to decks I ran when I started. A good starter deck. You may want to consider swapping Quicksilver for Ant Man if you really want a 1 drop. It's a good switch to help you realize that that 1s are useful anytime from turn 1 to turn 6 plus since he's ongoing, he gets boosted by Spectrum.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

New Leaf posted:

You'd be surprised how often she's worked out for me. I'll generally fill a spot with something like Quicksilver, Cap, and a pair of Sinisters so its full up, Mr Fantastic and Medusa in the middle, then ignore a spot or drop someone solo like Colossus or Punisher so they're focusing on the other two spaces. White Tiger comes out near the end, the tigers can't spawn in the same spot as her, so it will always go to the zone that needs shoring up. Then Odin or Spectrum show up, and I either get a second tiger there or buff up everyone else. BUT like I said - early days for me and I don't have Wong unfortunately. Could all fall apart soon.

Yeah this will change uhh, probably late Pool 1 or Mid Pool 2 for sure.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it is pretty neat how the meta changes as you go up pools, and I miss that a bit. if you have an all pool 1 or 1+2 deck it should put you back in that matchmaking pool imo

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

New Leaf posted:

This is a solid deck. As you get more cards and experience I'd recommend going all in on either Reveal or Ongoing, to get the most out of your Odin/Spectrum. Because you can back out of games where you didn't draw well, and bet big when you're set up for success, you can specialize instead of trying to cover both bases

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

New Leaf posted:

I also just started this week, so grain of salt, but: I'd swap out Namor. Spectrum+Mr Fantastic isn't a whole lot of support, and he's got anti-synergy with White Tiger. Maybe for Jessica Jones? You lose the Spectrum buff, but otherwise she does basically the same thing while also being tiger friendly and just generally more flexible.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

flatluigi posted:

it is pretty neat how the meta changes as you go up pools, and I miss that a bit. if you have an all pool 1 or 1+2 deck it should put you back in that matchmaking pool imo

I think it does, kinda? I recently fired up, like, a Pool 1 Kazoo deck because I needed to summon a lot of 1-costs for a Mission and the matchmaker gave me opponents with decks from the same neighbourhood.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

New Leaf posted:

Like others said, with an early collection this is about as good as it gets. However I would probably drop Quicksilver and Medusa, add in Ant-Man and maybe Nightcrawler. It's not the end of the world if you don't have a turn 1 play, and you're not going to always draw your cards on curve so occasionally having an extra 1-drop to fill in the gaps is helpful. Other cards worth consideration are Lizard (great stats, gets the Spectrum buff, works nicely with Punisher) and then Armor once all your opponents start running Killmonger.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Been watching the Avengers cartoon and I finally realized why The Big House can't have big cards on it.

Very clever.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

This is a solid deck. As you get more cards and experience I'd recommend going all in on either Reveal or Ongoing, to get the most out of your Odin/Spectrum. Because you can back out of games where you didn't draw well, and bet big when you're set up for success, you can specialize instead of trying to cover both bases

Thanks, yeah I'm planning on it.. Just waiting on enough cards to push me one way or another.

RevKrule posted:

This is pretty similar to decks I ran when I started. A good starter deck. You may want to consider swapping Quicksilver for Ant Man if you really want a 1 drop. It's a good switch to help you realize that that 1s are useful anytime from turn 1 to turn 6 plus since he's ongoing, he gets boosted by Spectrum.

Yeah, I'd considered that, but I like the guarantee of an opening play, even if it is small. That does may sense though, I'll give it a shot.

Cattail Prophet posted:

I also just started this week, so grain of salt, but: I'd swap out Namor. Spectrum+Mr Fantastic isn't a whole lot of support, and he's got anti-synergy with White Tiger. Maybe for Jessica Jones? You lose the Spectrum buff, but otherwise she does basically the same thing while also being tiger friendly and just generally more flexible.

Yeah very true, good shout. I'll swap her in, thanks!

Edit: Gah this thread moves fast..

goferchan posted:

Like others said, with an early collection this is about as good as it gets. However I would probably drop Quicksilver and Medusa, add in Ant-Man and maybe Nightcrawler. It's not the end of the world if you don't have a turn 1 play, and you're not going to always draw your cards on curve so occasionally having an extra 1-drop to fill in the gaps is helpful. Other cards worth consideration are Lizard (great stats, gets the Spectrum buff, works nicely with Punisher) and then Armor once all your opponents start running Killmonger.

Quicksilver I get.. Why drop Medusa for Nightcrawler? She's got the On Reveal so she benefits from the theme and a decent early game self buff. I don't have Lizard or Armor yet unfortunately.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 10, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

goferchan posted:

I'm thinking probably pass; I will likely hold out for one of the cards mentioned above or Cerebro because that deck looks really fun to me.

My brief experience with Cerebro is that there are so many locations that can mess you up. And even if you've got Scarlet Witch, Rhino or Storm in your deck to change that, it won't stop a location like Wakandan Embassy. Or if the opponent plays Scorpion. Or if X-Mansion gives you Okaye...

I'm making it it sound worse than it probably is, just know that you'll be in situations that will make playing your deck a lot trickier and sometimes are instant retreats, more so than with most other decks. I'll give the 2 power Cerebro deck a shot once I get Goose, but until then that helmet will be gathering dust in my collection.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004

Red Rox posted:

No I don’t have her. I just use Sunspot, Lizard and Storm to win one location, with Armor for protection, then Scorpion to be an rear end in a top hat, and win the other location with Infinaut.

Maybe some people think I’m a dumb bot - I’ve had more than a few snap me back in the last round.

I tried Sandman of all things with this and it made for a fun round 4 - 5 - 6. Can I ask what your full deck is?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Mierenneuker posted:

My brief experience with Cerebro is that there are so many locations that can mess you up. And even if you've got Scarlet Witch, Rhino or Storm in your deck to change that, it won't stop a location like Wakandan Embassy. Or if the opponent plays Scorpion. Or if X-Mansion gives you Okaye...

I'm making it it sound worse than it probably is, just know that you'll be in situations that will make playing your deck a lot trickier and sometimes are instant retreats, more so than with most other decks. I'll give the 2 power Cerebro deck a shot once I get Goose, but until then that helmet will be gathering dust in my collection.

Yeah, I love Cerebro but it's very funny how easy it is to get hosed. The site that gives you a 9 power monster is the worst because you can't even erase it with Storm like most of the others

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Stop giving me cool variants of cards that I have no use for, Collector's Reserve! :argh:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Stupid sexy domino

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I don't have Cerebro yet but would a Cerebro deck with Luke Cage fix most of the location issues? Obviously you'd still need Storm or Witch to unfuck location like Xandar but it seems like Cage would be a good pair to keep your power in line.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man I just want to hit lvl 50 for those sweet 400 credits but can't get past 45, try as I might. My wong/white tiger/odin deck is failing me!!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

RevKrule posted:

I don't have Cerebro yet but would a Cerebro deck with Luke Cage fix most of the location issues? Obviously you'd still need Storm or Witch to unfuck location like Xandar but it seems like Cage would be a good pair to keep your power in line.

That seems like a whole lot of things that have to go right for not a lot of payoff.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

Thank you, random Collector's Reserve! Now I need nothing else from Series 4! Need to figure a good deck for it.

Also FINALLY Aero showed up in the shop. Now I'm broke in tokens and pretty sure on like 9 cards left in Series 3. Just give me Brood ASAP so I can finally try a Silver Surfer deck.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

RevKrule posted:

Honestly I just have a Storm in my deck and that's enough for me, it's rare that you'll have more than one "gently caress you" location. Every once in a while you run into a situation that just can't be fixed but then you just bail at turn 3 and lose a cube. If you play around it until one of you snaps your opponent may end up erasing that location as well.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

uXs posted:

Having the biggest trouble climbing, and then you run into opponents that snap when they are 'winning' on the board, but:

* they don't have a huge or even big lead
* this is a 7 turn game
* they have filled all their spots (including a 0-power silver surfer on the space throne)
* I still have space left (including said space throne)

Has to be a bot right?

Bot, or someone who hit Infinite who is dumping games.

Bots, even the input reading ones, have difficulty with turn 7 games.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So I was playing Doc Ock for boosters and….. he’s kind of really good? Haven’t seen him talked about much and his ability reads like poo poo but in practice he’s been insanely disruptive. Bunch of forfeits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushrooman
Apr 16, 2003

Disco Dancin'
Shuri>Doc Ock>Zola is a pretty legit strat assuming you don’t pull Shang Chi.