Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
What poo poo news to wake up to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a real chump
Jul 30, 2003

noice
Nap Ghost

Akbar posted:

Mexican reporter in the press area says that officials waited until after the penalties to move Wahl's body
https://twitter.com/Carlos_Ponz/status/1601414110717292544?t=J1zig2lPLY7PnvMwVFGdcQ&s=19

Uhh waited to move him to a curb where he took an uber to the hospital?

What the hell

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Akbar posted:

Mexican reporter in the press area says that officials waited until after the penalties to move Wahl's body
https://twitter.com/Carlos_Ponz/status/1601414110717292544?t=J1zig2lPLY7PnvMwVFGdcQ&s=19

from earlier in that thread:
https://twitter.com/Carlos_Ponz/status/1601414105000464384

translation: The man raised his arms and it seemed that he was leaning back in the chair, as if resting, until his face began to change and he fell, hit his neck and no longer reacted.

sounds like a stroke or similar embolism, followed by a bad fall - in which case there probably wasn't much anyone could do, though it certainly seems the officials did as little as possible

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
It's weird because initial reporting was that he died in transit or upon arrival at the hospital whereas this guy is saying he was dead on the scene and then they waited for some period of time (probably doing CPR) until after the match to bring his body out of the media area.

I'm not clear on the timing of when he began to feel sick either.. it sounds like he had known that he was dealing with some sort of illness for a period of time before the match, got tested for COVID and was negative, and then his symptoms got worse so he went to the hospital where they diagnosed him and gave him medicine which made him feel better for a while.. and this was all atleast a day or two prior to this game where he ultimately passed away?

It doesn't seem like a poisoning to me, primarily because I wouldn't expect medication to ease his symptoms if they were doing the slow approach to play it off as an illness.. If it was a legitimate illness I guess it could be the case that it was just a coincidence that he was sick previously and they gave him something that triggered a stroke or heart attack or whatever, but it's more probably in my view that he died of natural causes.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

love 2 speculate on the manner in which a prominent sports journalist mysteriously died they 100% iced him in cold blood

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I personally don't think any shady poo poo is likely since it seems like a lot of effort for some senior committee guy to whisper in someones ear to take their time with the paramedics in the case of this one mildly annoying journalist, given they don't seem particularly bothered by bad PR.

If anything it shows that all the billions of dollars spent on infrastructure was wasted since people being bundled into Ubers to the hospital is what we do in this country where the NHS is on its arse, not the most state of the art facilities and logistics in the world or whatever the FIFA guff says

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

kecske posted:

love 2 speculate on the manner in which a prominent sports journalist mysteriously died they 100% iced him in cold blood

___________/

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Dirk Pitt posted:

___________/

Nah it would be platini since he is the person majorly responsible for this world cup

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

the sex ghost posted:

I personally don't think any shady poo poo is likely since it seems like a lot of effort for some senior committee guy to whisper in someones ear to take their time with the paramedics in the case of this one mildly annoying journalist, given they don't seem particularly bothered by bad PR.

If anything it shows that all the billions of dollars spent on infrastructure was wasted since people being bundled into Ubers to the hospital is what we do in this country where the NHS is on its arse, not the most state of the art facilities and logistics in the world or whatever the FIFA guff says

Pretty much agree for a couple reasons. Mostly because they have faced zero repercussions from all the reporting so far, ignoring it has been an incredibly effective strategy. Why do anything more? And that's the second reason, there's so much laziness and lack of interest in everything I've seen from this world cup that taking out a journalist at a high-profile public event just seems incredibly out of character. Useful uselessness seems like the most likely cause, imo.

It's still a horrible tragedy and his body should be repatriated ASAP though.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I struggle with the “why would they do this when they don’t care about optics” thing when Saudi literally dismembered a journalist in their US embassy and suffered no consequences. Someone could have just been in a bad mood that day and wanted to kill someone knowing there’d be no repercussions.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
The difference this time is that the guy who died is white

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't believe anyone would order a hit on him, especially now when to be honest, the excitement of the tournament has definitely sportswashed away most of the bad press. I'm slightly more open to the idea that maybe someone nudged them to be a bit less helpful than they might have otherwise been, but even then I think it probably would have happened too quickly for anyone with that kind of power to really make that call.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Carrier posted:

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't believe anyone would order a hit on him, especially now when to be honest, the excitement of the tournament has definitely sportswashed away most of the bad press. I'm slightly more open to the idea that maybe someone nudged them to be a bit less helpful than they might have otherwise been, but even then I think it probably would have happened too quickly for anyone with that kind of power to really make that call.

I think I'm on the same page here. As shady as the Qatar World Cup has been from the start, I don't remember ever reading any allegations about the Qataris assassinating people related to it - causing death through negligence, callousness, and underinvestment, yes, but not intentionally murdering people. A highly prominent journalist in the middle of the World Cup would be a hell of a time to start, so it probably makes more sense that he suffered some kind of stroke or heart attack as the result of a previous illness and there wasn't sufficient medical help to revive him, maybe through negligence and underinvestment in healthcare infrastructure, maybe just because sometimes no amount of help can save someone, and also maybe because when the officials present saw who was dying they thought "aw, what a shame".

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

njsykora posted:

I struggle with the “why would they do this when they don’t care about optics” thing when Saudi literally dismembered a journalist in their US embassy and suffered no consequences. Someone could have just been in a bad mood that day and wanted to kill someone knowing there’d be no repercussions.

It's important to keep a distinction between Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Their internal values may be similar from a human rights perspective but they are very different countries on the world stage politically.

The ITV documentary about Qatar showed they're very much not above disappearing people that were reporting on/highlighting worker issues.

The fact he died being terrible aside, I hope it was just natural causes and his family will get some closure but as said in other posts, the lingering side eyes say it all. I'm also curious why his family seem so sure it was foul play.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i’d not be surprised if none of the officials knew who he was tbh

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

njsykora posted:

I struggle with the “why would they do this when they don’t care about optics” thing when Saudi literally dismembered a journalist in their US embassy

What? It happened in Istanbul

Idk if I'm massively naive but nothing about this strikes me as suspicious, other than the muddled reaction and response to it. People drop dead of weird undiagnosed poo poo all the time

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew
As awful as Qatar is I really doubt this was anything else than natural causes. He had been suffering some sort of infection for days and documented his own fatigue and stress levels himself. A weird coincidence imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this news sucks but people his age, particularly ones who are already sick with possible covid, die from heart attacks. I don't think Ginola is out in qatar as a pundit but he very nearly did die from one

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Sad to hear. I always looked up his pre- and post- match write-ups every time there was a US v. Mexico match.

Also think it was an unfortunate coincidence. Other journalists and media outlets have been a bigger thorn on the Qatari’s side than Grant. I don’t think his tweet about a rainbow shirt or piece revisiting BBC’s interview with Nasser al-Khater after the worker’s death would have gained much traction within Qatar’s security/political circles.

Far more likely that Qatar would have bought silence and happy reporting from a journalist than them murdering said journalist inside a stadium during an active match.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That’s what they want us to think.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
i think it was poison 100%, but will wait for more information

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Tortilla Maker posted:

Sad to hear. I always looked up his pre- and post- match write-ups every time there was a US v. Mexico match.

Also think it was an unfortunate coincidence. Other journalists and media outlets have been a bigger thorn on the Qatari’s side than Grant. I don’t think his tweet about a rainbow shirt or piece revisiting BBC’s interview with Nasser al-Khater after the worker’s death would have gained much traction within Qatar’s security/political circles.

Far more likely that Qatar would have bought silence and happy reporting from a journalist than them murdering said journalist inside a stadium during an active match.

Let’s just assume for the sake of argument that they did it

Do you think they just injected him with a fast acting poison at the match lol

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
they put the poison in his nachoes, duh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

paddyboat posted:

they put the poison in his nachoes, duh

Someone check on Peter Crouch.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Hi, we allow some hyperbole around here when it comes to quite shocking news from murderous regimes and don't particularly feel a need for decorum towards some of the worst examples of state authority currently in power.

that's not true you get perma'd if you'd said this about the president of america

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

mila kunis posted:

that's not true you get perma'd if you'd said this about the president of america

Joe can't tell the difference between Kherson and Fallujah, he's not capable of murder.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I think the point is, regardless of the truth, having to ask “do you think he was murdered?”, and it being fairly plausible an explanation, shows how hosed up a situation this WC is

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Let’s just assume for the sake of argument that they did it

Do you think they just injected him with a fast acting poison at the match lol

No. They’d do it on his way out Qatar so that he dies on US soil.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

J33uk posted:

Joe can't tell the difference between Kherson and Fallujah, he's not capable of murder.

that guy's just a figurehead, but tbh the only reason these lovely gulf arab slavery-based states even exist is because american military power props them up and keeps them from being swallowed up by real countries (see: kuwait)

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

It's important to keep a distinction between Saudi Arabia and Qatar. Their internal values may be similar from a human rights perspective but they are very different countries on the world stage politically.

The ITV documentary about Qatar showed they're very much not above disappearing people that were reporting on/highlighting worker issues.

The fact he died being terrible aside, I hope it was just natural causes and his family will get some closure but as said in other posts, the lingering side eyes say it all. I'm also curious why his family seem so sure it was foul play.

So far it seems like only his brother is publicly saying that he thinks Wahl was killed because Wahl told him about the death threats he received after the rainbow shirt incident. It sounds like the family and US State Dept made it clear they want his body repatriated as soon as possible for examination, and the Qataris seem on board with that. Wahl's wife is a fairly prominent doctor in the US so I'm hopeful that clearer heads will prevail in the case it wasn't foul play.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Answers Me posted:

I think the point is, regardless of the truth, having to ask “do you think he was murdered?”, and it being fairly plausible an explanation, shows how hosed up a situation this WC is

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!
I jumped straight to the assassinated conclusion and I still think that’s possible and that it’s of course hosed up that it’s even a possibility, but hearing about his own self-reported bronchitis/covid symptoms makes that a lot less likely. Reminder to stay home and rest when you’re sick :(

Grant seemed like a gentleman of the highest order and the outpouring of stories and comments from everyone who knew him is touching. And to say that he was one of the prominent voices on soccer in the US is an understatement, he was far and away the best and there’s pretty much no 2nd place.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

:rip: Grant and my boy GOM, good lads who loved the beautiful game.

Jai Guru Dave
Jan 3, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

We won't have to speculate for very long. Dr. Celine Gounder is almost uniquely qualified to judge the accuracy of official reports. And if she is understandably too distraught to review her own husband's autopsy, nearly everyone in her professional life would be able to do so for her.

If Dr. Gounder believes it was natural causes, she will say so and that will be the end of it.

If not, she will be able to catch them in lies you or I or Eric Wahl would not be able to. And woe betide the government flunky who tries to.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Does the body need to fly back to the states for autopsy? With the high number of military/diplomatic personnel in the USA, can’t they just ship the body to some embassy associated medical facility and do the autopsy in Qatar?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wonton posted:

Does the body need to fly back to the states for autopsy? With the high number of military/diplomatic personnel in the USA, can’t they just ship the body to some embassy associated medical facility and do the autopsy in Qatar?

They could probably do it at one of the two US airbases in Qatar I suppose.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
why would they assasinate the guy?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

why would they assasinate the guy?

To kill him

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude