Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

GD_American posted:

Is it a problem for P365s too?

I generally don't carry one in the pipe anyway, but it'd be good to know

No idea, just saw an article about the P320 specifically the other day. Didn't see P365 mentioned though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

Jesus did they outsource those to Taurus

Didnt see anything about the barrel as a second projectile so probably not

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

drat, my Sig P6 doesn't even have a safety, just 12 pounds of "are you sure?" and a de-cocker.

I had a P226 before I moved. I would have absolutely carried that thing into combat - best handgun I ever shot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

psydude posted:

I had a P226 before I moved. I would have absolutely carried that thing into combat - best handgun I ever shot.

I still have my sig p226r in stainless steel I carried for work for 8 years. Best goddamn service pistol.

Safety’s are dumb anyways. A gun isn’t safe duh.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The M9's safety lever is so drat useless, it'd keep switching from safe to fire while sitting in my holster. Hopefully the P320's safety is better.

That's a holster problem not the pistols fault

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Jimmy Smuts posted:

The M9's safety lever is so drat useless, it'd keep switching from safe to fire while sitting in my holster. Hopefully the P320's safety is better.

"It's a decocker, not a safety." The 5th Special Forces Group SOP was to have the M9 on "fire" the whole time. With the first shot double action trigger pull, it was safe enough like that. So do your string of firing, top up if needed, decocker (safe then fire), then holster. I never had a M9, but instead the M11 (Sig P228) and Glock 19. One deployment, my team kept going to a big Army COP, and without fail they would give my one Soldier poo poo for having his M9 on fire, hammer down, in his holster. If I could get there before he just complied, I would explain our unit's SOP, as well as ask them what I should do regarding my Glock 19. Welp, that's my M9 decocker story.

The M17 and M18 safety is leaps and bounds better than the M9. They frame mounted and move pretty easily. I'm usually opposed to safeties on pistols, because if you are pulling your pistol from the holster you need as few steps as possible to fire it before you die; however, I don't mind the safety on the Sig. I haven't tested the trigger pull with a scale or anything, but it feels light. It also doesn't have a "foot" or other sort of trigger safety ala Glocks or M&Ps, so much like a 1911 I'm happy to use the safety.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

M9s, when new, were probably just fine; lots of people love Beretta 92-series handguns. But 35 years of being slammed around arms rooms and field training and deployments weren't great for them.

Mine was clapped out as gently caress, and that was in the mid 1990's. Very loose slide to frame fit and there was absolutely no blueing left on the barrel.

Flikken posted:

That's a holster problem not the pistols fault

Never had a problem with the safety on the M9, but then again as an Armor company we were still using the old M1911 leather shoulder holsters. The M9 was just crammed in there and eventually the leather (sorta) molded over it. Gotta say it was really convenient as you could take off your LBV and still have your weapon on your person.

Itchy_Grundle fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 10, 2022

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008

GD_American posted:

Is it a problem for P365s too?

I generally don't carry one in the pipe anyway, but it'd be good to know

It is/was a problem for the initial batches of non military p320’s only I believe. There is something different about the drop safety on the m17/18 vs the vanilla p320, so supposedly they don’t have this issue. I remember this cropping up a few years ago, I’d be surprised if it wasn’t fixed by now. The p365 had other issues, but I don’t think the drop safety was one

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
the P320 drop firing was a high publicity thing a few years back. If I recall correctly, they changed a few things to fix it: reduced the mass of the trigger, striker, and sear; changed the geometry of the sear somehow, and then something about the trigger disconnect which I don't remember anything about.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Drop fires aren't the problem people (largely cops) are currently experiencing. Apparently they're going off while holstered.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Drop fires aren't the problem people (largely cops) are currently experiencing. Apparently they're going off while holstered.

That's gotta be an oh shi moment

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
Absolute butthole clencher.

On topic: I read an article earlier today where Ukraine and the US were debating sending cluster munitions. I think it was from Task and Purpose, where the conclusion was that if traditional munitions were low, they would probably send them. Has anyone else seen anything about this?

Wickerman fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 10, 2022

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Cops also refer to their drunken bare hands as “holsters”

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Wickerman posted:

Absolute butthole clencher.

On topic: I read an article earlier today where Ukraine and the US were debating sending cluster munitions. I think it was from Task and Purpose, where the conclusion was that if traditional munitions were low, they would probably send them. Has anyone else seen anything about this?

no, but thats probably specifically in reference to HIMARS, since the m270 was specifically built to fire cluster munitions iirc and we're gonna decommission em all anyway

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I haven't heard much about how the front lines are moving lately? Have things slowed down to be more or less static lower intensity fighting for the winter? Are certain places moving one way or the other?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

I haven't heard much about how the front lines are moving lately? Have things slowed down to be more or less static lower intensity fighting for the winter? Are certain places moving one way or the other?

ISW assesses that Ukraine will use the hardened ground to increase the intensity of their counter-offensives throughout the winter. The fighting has been extremely intense on the Eastern front as of late, while the Southern front is still re-forming following the recapture of Kherson. The Russians are expecting an attack at Zhaporizhia, and given how understrength and battered their Southern echelons are, it's probably a reasonable assumption.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Maybe if they took them out of the holster once a month or so to clean out the dust and lint this wouldn’t be such an issue.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

my kinda ape posted:

The problem has not been winter, it's lack of winter. The mud makes traversing open ground nigh impossible, so not much movement is possible. Once it gets good and cold and the ground freezes, operations can pick up again.

Armies know how to operate in winter. It is not an impediment in and of itself.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I mean, a tactical nuke or three will take care of the lack of winter

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Clancychat; Ukraine has its own nuclear plants, and folks who built bombs for the USSR, are the plants that are still in ukraine dual use or strictly civilian?

Wonder if Ukraine is sorta in the position that Japan and to a lesser extent Taiwan is, where an existential threat might make them consider moving towards some sort of bomb.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

freeasinbeer posted:

Wonder if Ukraine is sorta in the position that Japan and to a lesser extent Taiwan is, where an existential threat might make them consider moving towards some sort of bomb.

Japan is still hunting down those responsible for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

freeasinbeer posted:

Clancychat; Ukraine has its own nuclear plants, and folks who built bombs for the USSR, are the plants that are still in ukraine dual use or strictly civilian?

Probably no need, Ukraine joining NATO means they would likely depend on US nuclear guarantees. Most of their VVER series Pressurized Water Reactors are more than capable of producing fuel but Ukraine does not have an active weapons development program or the reprocessing capabilities needed to extract the material, they got most of their fuel supplied by Rosatom, with Westinghouse and a couple others now stepping up to the place for future fuel supply needs.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

my kinda ape posted:

Russia is actively throwing a whole bunch of people into a meat grinder at Bakhmut because they need a win somewhere, even though a win there gets them nothing in particular. Urban terrain and Ukrainian anti-tank weapons are keeping the Russians from using much armor so it looks like WW1, apparently down to Russian infantry getting machine gunned down as they cross no man's land towards Ukrainian entrenchments. Ukraine is also bleeding plenty there, however.

From this FT article: https://www.ft.com/content/dcdd09bf-440a-4648-9664-6084b11dddd4

quote:

Rockets and mortar rounds rained down on Ukrainian military positions on the eastern edge of the city of Bakhmut, spraying shrapnel and sending troops diving for cover.

Then came the Russian infantry, charging in a first world war-style attack across a no man’s land of shredded trees and artillery craters. The Ukrainians popped up and mowed down many of them with machine guns and grenade launchers.

Moments later, the scenes were repeated — although this time the Russian fighters had to navigate their comrades’ bodies. Again many were cut down by Ukrainian bullets.

“It’s like a conveyor belt,” Kostyantyn, an exhausted Ukrainian machine-gunner who described the scene to the Financial Times, said of the Russian tactics. “For what? A loving metre of our land.”

“The ground is cold and hard, so even when they [Russian forces] take new forward positions, they have difficulty digging in deep enough to shelter themselves from our counter-attacks and they have to fall back,” she said.

Another good article from The Economist: https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/12/06/russia-is-hurling-troops-at-the-tiny-ukrainian-town-of-bakhmut

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

CommieGIR posted:

Probably no need, Ukraine joining NATO means they would likely depend on US nuclear guarantees. Most of their VVER series Pressurized Water Reactors are more than capable of producing fuel but Ukraine does not have an active weapons development program or the reprocessing capabilities needed to extract the material, they got most of their fuel supplied by Rosatom, with Westinghouse and a couple others now stepping up to the place for future fuel supply needs.

I doubt Ukraine will ever join NATO; Hungry for one seems apt to veto it, and I can see there being objections from elsewhere.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

freeasinbeer posted:

I doubt Ukraine will ever join NATO; Hungry for one seems apt to veto it, and I can see there being objections from elsewhere.

Hungary will likely get forced to toe the line some way, I have doubts that they will be the thing keeping Ukraine out of NATO if anything.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Even the best case scenario would put the Ukrainians a decade or more out from a NATO application if the alliance does basic due diligence.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

A.o.D. posted:

Even the best case scenario would put the Ukrainians a decade or more out from a NATO application if the alliance does basic due diligence.

Yup, but at this case they are almost an ad-hoc member state, so Hungary's threat of veto will have little impact in the end.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Japan is still hunting down those responsible for Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

:chloe:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Russia is actively throwing a whole bunch of people into a meat grinder at Bakhmut because they need a win somewhere, even though a win there gets them nothing in particular. Urban terrain and Ukrainian anti-tank weapons are keeping the Russians from using much armor so it looks like WW1, apparently down to Russian infantry getting machine gunned down as they cross no man's land towards Ukrainian entrenchments. Ukraine is also bleeding plenty there, however.

From this FT article: https://www.ft.com/content/dcdd09bf-440a-4648-9664-6084b11dddd4

Another good article from The Economist: https://www.economist.com/europe/2022/12/06/russia-is-hurling-troops-at-the-tiny-ukrainian-town-of-bakhmut

They've been doing this for over a month at this point. All the images and videos look like a WW1 hellacape.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, but at this case they are almost an ad-hoc member state, so Hungary's threat of veto will have little impact in the end.

I've heard that Ukraine is more or less officially planning to follow Israel's path of not being in NATO and maintaining self-reliance, but also being Special Friends with the US and buying or being given vast amounts of American arms and maintaining a close diplomatic and trade relationship with the US and EU. There is the concern of Ukraine also following Israel's path down the road towards ultranationalism and demagoguery, but those are problems for twenty years from now. I could easily see Ukraine becoming a center of technological development much as Israel is currently too - they already have plenty of native technical and industrial expertise, the problem will be keeping it alive through the war. Rebuilding the infrastructure is going to be key to that effort, but something tells me they won't lack for Western investment.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I’ve heard Bakhmut referred to as the 21st century’s Passchendaele.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it's certainly lovely but it is orders of magnitude away from the scale of the big ww1 battles

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Screenshot from South Park. It's a whale and dolphin.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Blistex posted:

Screenshot from South Park. It's a whale and dolphin.

gently caress uh-yuuuu dolfiinnn and uhh-whalleeee

the best South Park episodes pick one dumb but funny premise and stick with it

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

A.o.D. posted:

Define "Due Diligence" for a thing that is 1) Entirely political and 2) About Violence. Its not a regulated financial transaction. The USA can wave its magic wand and say Ukraine will be treated as a member of NATO and viola, Ukraine is 80% of the way to being in NATO with 90% of the benefits. International relations is not even spherical cow physics, its Calvinball at heart.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

GD_American posted:

the best South Park episodes pick one dumb but funny premise and stick with it

Gonna need a new Kanye episode.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CommieGIR posted:

Yup, but at this case they are almost an ad-hoc member state,

I don't think Ukraine feels that way....

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

Alan Smithee posted:

Jesus did they outsource those to Taurus

We’ve been told from the range people that SIG has apparently outsource some parts to be made
In china and has caused a substantial failure rate and switching over from SIGs to glocks, take it as you will.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it's certainly lovely but it is orders of magnitude away from the scale of the big ww1 battles

It's a comment on the futility and wastefulness of the assaults, not their scale.

Ukraine has launched multiple attacks on airfields in occupied Southern Ukraine over the past few days, indicating that a push to liberate occupied parts of Zaporizhzya Oblast is forthcoming.

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1601638864556523521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/francis_scarr/status/1601635260630208512?s=20&t=5gEH-61pNM28C-IZ8t5uHw

now you've done it America. The dealer of death sticks is back in play and has scores to settle

Lord of War 2: there are 2 movies