Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I recently switched from a low mobility cleaver to a high mobility cleaver and it has been a massive help in reducing incoming damage while sprinting to engage.

Yeah, this is an inevitability I'm anticipating once people start crunching the numbers for damage breakpoints on higher diffs. But for the meantime, I will just keep chasing that bigger damage number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Given that all the cutscenes are the exact same "earn my respect" speech given by each of the different characters and that all the missions are attached to one of those characters I wonder if the original plan was that you would build up trust with each character separately by doing their missions, so you'd have a trust progression with Zola, Hadron, etc but they didnt have time to do it so they just munged all the basic level "earn my trust" cutscenes into a single path and called it a day.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Cease to Hope posted:

when you are the big scary monster in the dark, you don't need a light

When I can't find stairs and there's no ambient lighting, I feel like I need a light.

Random Integer posted:

Given that all the cutscenes are the exact same "earn my respect" speech given by each of the different characters and that all the missions are attached to one of those characters I wonder if the original plan was that you would build up trust with each character separately by doing their missions, so you'd have a trust progression with Zola, Hadron, etc but they didnt have time to do it so they just munged all the basic level "earn my trust" cutscenes into a single path and called it a day.

Didn't Abnett write the story? I thought that was a selling point somewhere down the line. Hopefully he's actually writing the seasonal story arcs which will be implemented soon.

:monkey paw curls:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Seasonal story arcs is totally what I expect to come, with your rise to 30 being the "okay you're acceptably loyal and competent enough to be trusted with dealing with actual VIP targets." Probably end up killing a Chaos Champion eventually.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The Demilich posted:

When I can't find stairs and there's no ambient lighting, I feel like I need a light.

big scary monsters do occasionally walk off of the edges of things, i will admit

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I've got to say, even on low settings the ambient lighting, especially in the dark mode, was fantastic

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The foggy maps are pretty intense, too. I guess I don't understand why they need to turn them on for an hour or two instead of them just coming up as a random modifier.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

I know they'll never do it but I wish they'd just let me pick a map, select a mission type, and then add in stage modifiers like darkness/fog as checkboxes. Add in other metrics to boot to ramp up difficulty/rewards. If they could tie that into matchmaking with lobbies or some poo poo even better.

Anyway thoughts on this knife?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I heard that knife felt pretty bad to use, big numbers though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Power outage missions are fun, but it sucks that as Ogryn you have literally no options to bring for lighting.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I posted a different example of this in another level earlier in the thread, but I'm finding several spots where you can exploit this to potential gain throughout the maps, so here's one more.

The mission where you upload false intel. You'll find computer terminals that are right up against ledges. Here's me standing behind the computer console, on the fence railing.

Looking down:

Doing this blocks pathing from most melee enemies to you. For example, here I leisurely type "lol" as a mutant runs back and forth in front of the computer console wanting to grab me:

As far as I can tell, these spots are just sort of outside of the bounds of the AI pathfinding mesh/hitbox/whatever and the AI sees them on a different Z Axis layer than they're actually on, leading to them getting stuck. "Short" obstacles like e.g. these computer consoles are effectively infinitely tall against enemy pathfinding. So in this case, there's no way for them to path AROUND the computer console to get to me, and they can't get to me at all. It does not need to be a bottomless pit. If the pit is not bottomless, enemies who want to target you will go to the lower level and stand directly below you, just chillin' waiting for your allies to kill them. Like the reaver in this screenshot (from a different map):

So anywhere that you see a doodad right up against a fence or ledge, getting behind that doodad to stand on the fence or the lip of the ledge behind it makes you impervious to most* melee enemies

*If their attack has enough reach to hit you from the other side of the doodad, they will still hit you. Most of them have surprisingly short reach and cannot hit you in most of these spots.

Shooters will still shoot you, possibly confirmation bias but it seems like they will prefer other targets (targets that they have valid melee pathfinding to), but if you just want to stand somewhere and snipe specials while ignoring melee hordes, here is the way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Dec 10, 2022

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I heard that knife felt pretty bad to use, big numbers though.

I absolutely hate that Mk of knife’s moveset. Anything with stabs just feels bad.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yesterday day I started to wish for a freaking, simple 2d menu in the game to pick loadout, mission, etc, instead of the central hub. I have a decent computer with a amd 3700x cpu, but still the loading time can be up to 25 seconds! Why so long, the hub isn't as big as any of the real maps.
It's 25 seconds upon starting the game, then again when coming back from a mission. And I discovered that if you go to the select character screen to swap for another one, it's again another 25 seconds wait, despite the hub map is already loaded in memory! Even if you select the same character!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

I found a pretty strong combat axe with the brutal momentum blessing (ignore mass for 1.5 seconds after weakspot kills), but it doesn't seem to work? I don't seem to be able to get any cleave on the 1st heavy attack, the wide horizontal swing (the only non-single target attack in the moveset bar the push attack). Even if I hit a guy in the head and kill them (this is a weak spot kill, right?) then instantly do the wide heavy it still stops on the first person it hits. I sometimes get some cleave on the push attack but I think this has some cleave anyway. Is the blessing broken or am I misunderstanding how something works?

E: now that I type it out I realise maybe 1.5 seconds is shorter than the time it takes to do the heavy swing. Ughh

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Turin Turambar posted:

Yesterday day I started to wish for a freaking, simple 2d menu in the game to pick loadout, mission, etc, instead of the central hub. I have a decent computer with a amd 3700x cpu, but still the loading time can be up to 25 seconds! Why so long, the hub isn't as big as any of the real maps.
It's 25 seconds upon starting the game, then again when coming back from a mission. And I discovered that if you go to the select character screen to swap for another one, it's again another 25 seconds wait, despite the hub map is already loaded in memory! Even if you select the same character!

I bought a beefy new upgrade specifically for Darktide (and because its been a long time since I upgraded) and the hub load is still the longest load and I'm pretty sure the vast majority of it is network bullshit because actual cpu/disk/memory usage stops way before the actual hub is shown.

Also I'm glad they finally brought back Lights Out - though I kinda wish it didnt came with extra Daemonhosts. We did a couple of Lights Out yesterday where none of us had any kind of light attachment, so our only light source was the Zealot's flamer and my voidstrike staff for briefly lighting up rooms and seeing silhouettes of enemies. best modifier.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Me and my bud did a two grim run on malice with our less leveled veterans and when we spotted a daemonhost in a hallway we both just sort of screamed internally and muttered nervously as we snuck past through the very narrow safe zone and prayed one of the pubbies wouldn't do something really stupid. I had to scream a little out loud when we were past, we were all at like 80-90% corruption in addition to the grim malus.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The biggest buff they could give Ogyn would be to make all explosive barrels a carryable object that only he can move and be able to throw them like a football.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Or akimbo boxes.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Why the flamethrower enemy doesn't blow up when you shoot at the tank. Come on fatshark...

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Why the flamethrower enemy doesn't blow up when you shoot at the tank. Come on fatshark...

Do you know how many deaths I have to teammates shooting a barrel I'm walking past? I don't need that in my life too.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Do you know how many deaths I have to teammates shooting a barrel I'm walking past? I don't need that in my life too.

Yeah, but that’s usually because the barrel can fling you in random directions. Almost every time I’ve been yeeted off a ledge has been because the barrel was in front of me and pulled me forward like a goddamn suplex.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Barrels are goddamn inconsistent too. Ive been pushed like 3 inches standing next to one, and yeeted 300 feet over a railing barely standing in the edge of their explosion area

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
We found out that the candles on preachers shoulder do in fact provide light last night.

So seconding Ogryn KC light bar.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Black Griffon posted:

Me and my bud did a two grim run on malice with our less leveled veterans and when we spotted a daemonhost in a hallway we both just sort of screamed internally and muttered nervously as we snuck past through the very narrow safe zone and prayed one of the pubbies wouldn't do something really stupid. I had to scream a little out loud when we were past, we were all at like 80-90% corruption in addition to the grim malus.

I noticed pubbies have probably learned their lessons. First few days of DHs had my teammates attacking them on sight. Now my groups only spook them by accident.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What are the preferred perks to go for with curios? Stack toughness, health, +wound, or something else?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Anyone have tips on stopping the game randomly crashing to desktop? Its very frustrating

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

ive started shooting barrels before we reach them.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

OctaMurk posted:

Anyone have tips on stopping the game randomly crashing to desktop? Its very frustrating

Nope, happened to me twice yesterday near the end of missions. I think the newest patch made it worse for me?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Did they reduce ripper gun reload time? I brought one out last night and noticed it reloads Way faster than it did before.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Kaysette posted:

Nope, happened to me twice yesterday near the end of missions. I think the newest patch made it worse for me?

Same it got worse for me yesterday. I was also on the verge of completing the contract and it seems to have just stopped recording progress on them. I would play the game without a progression system, but to have a system which randomly stops working also is frustrating

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Aww man I didn't even know there WAS a fog modifier, that sounds awesome. There's got to be a better way to cycle through the mission modifiers because I never get to see anything but High/Low Intensity with the way my schedule works.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The fog modifier is simply worse than Lights Out, imo. It has the same core gameplay impact of limiting visibility but lacks the cool aesthetics or workaround methods using flashlights/fires/explosions/etc.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Fair enough. I just like fog because I think it's spooky and mysterious. Like darkness without the squinting and eye strain.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I like fog because it's claustrophobic in a different way than lights. Triggers different kinds of panic as enemies skulk on the periphery or emerge.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

fog would be cooler if it was actual fog rolling around the level instead of just blanket view distance down to your nose.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
A fog condition, but with a different mini-boss stalking your team around the level that would pick different times to engage but never stick around long enough for you to drain his whole health bar. Programmed to stand off in the distance periodically where you can see him when he's not engaging, so he can do that trick where you see him just in time for a fog bank to roll in and obscure him and not be there when it's gone. Maybe the only audio cue would be the soft clinking of his belt of skulls from previous victims. Make it otherwise lower intensity or change the director so the enemy density is less consistent but spikes harder and turn down the ambient music so it turns into a Silent Hill level.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Qmass posted:

fog would be cooler if it was actual fog rolling around the level instead of just blanket view distance down to your nose.

It's not really fog, it's smog. Yeah drifting fog would be cooler but for the setting it makes sense that it's a cloud sixteen miles tall which has all the toxins normally sucked away by ventilation.

ninjaiguana
Aug 1, 2009

Holy shit! I have a tail?!
So quick Vermintide 2 question: I own the base game and Darktide has made me think about reinstalling it and giving it another go, since I bounced off it pretty hard originally. I note there's a fair amount of DLC out at this point. Any particular DLCs I should prioritise for overall fun/general improvements? I'm not wedded to any particular character and was going to ignore the extra class ones entirely for now.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
From what I understand, the Chaos Wastes are a nice extra game type to have but avoid Winds of Magic because the Beastmen faction it adds are very divisive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ninjaiguana posted:

So quick Vermintide 2 question: I own the base game and Darktide has made me think about reinstalling it and giving it another go, since I bounced off it pretty hard originally. I note there's a fair amount of DLC out at this point. Any particular DLCs I should prioritise for overall fun/general improvements? I'm not wedded to any particular character and was going to ignore the extra class ones entirely for now.

The important dlc, the map dlcs, can be played without buying it if you join a game of a dlc owner, so they aren't that important to buy. Try the base game, see if you like it first.