Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

AITA for doing my mother’s eulogy in drag?

quote:

I’m 20 (gender is complicated) and the youngest of three (not including my half siblings). I’m the only one who still lives at home, so I was my mom’s primary caretaker when she was sick.

If you knew my mom, she was literally the most interesting person you will ever know, no exceptions. And she had this very distinct look since the 80s that in her words “always made people mistake (her) for a hooker.” She will never not be my inspiration and no matter who I meet she will always be my best friend. For one of her birthdays, I dressed up as her in drag and did an impression of her, which she absolutely loved and asked me to do for every birthday, which she didn’t get enough of.

So when I did her eulogy in drag (with that look), I was doing it because I thought it was what she would have wanted. I told my sister beforehand, who planned it, and she gave me the okay because my mom always she didn’t want everybody being depressed. In all honesty I didn’t totally follow what she wanted because I ended up crying through it.

I’ve felt like an rear end in a top hat because of the reactions I got. My siblings, my boyfriend, and my mom’s friends loved it, but my aunt told me I humiliated myself and ruined her and her family’s grieving, particularly my grandparents who wouldn’t acknowledge me. She said she understood my logic partially but that I should have stopped when she made her sons leave. To be honest, I wasn’t paying attention to her family at all, I was kind of a wreck. My father also walked out but I don’t really care what he thinks and my mom wouldn’t either.

I really believe I did what my mom would have wanted. But I also know funerals are for the living to grieve, and although my mom had a complicated relationship with her family, she wouldn’t have wanted them to be offended while they were grieving her. I should have known I’d get that reaction but I was so wrapped up in doing what my mom would have wanted. I know this is heavy to put on Reddit but I’ve just been feeling guilty. My boyfriend says gently caress them all basically but it’s not that simple to me. So AITA?

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nashona posted:

AITA for doing my mother’s eulogy in drag?

:3:

Top quality boyfriend, cool mom, would watch this hilarious yet touching comedy, a family classic.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

boyfriend is correct.

i dont often get to say that in this thread

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

Barudak posted:

I mean, they showed up to the date and the first words were "oh, you're shorter than I thought, nah" its difficult not to take that the way its said with no other data.

It worked out fine, they married women as tall as them who werent weird about their height

Edit: there are multiple women in my family and friends of family that have blanket 175 or higher requirements for partners and have flat rejected dudes who met all other criteria because this is a non negotiable. Its not that rare.

Yeah there are shitloads of women who have straight up height requirements, most of them end up getting old enough to realize that that's a stupid thing to do and give it up but it very much does exist.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
r/relationships: dude how tall are you what the hell

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Hooked up with a dude once and this chick told me "you could do taller"

He was the same height as me

I'm gay

She was funny as hell lol

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Midnight Voyager posted:

Having no reaction doesn't fix it either when they make it their mission in life to get a specific reaction out of you.

This. Learning to show no reaction did nothing because they already knew I would have funny reactions when pushed too hard, so all that did was prolong the bullying. They never got bored of it, despite what everybody assured me would happen. All this did was ingrain with me that I was not allowed to have any negative emotional reaction in front of anybody ever.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I am short and it definitely sucks when you’re dating. Tons of women don’t see dudes who are shorter than them as relevant dates at all and that’s just how it is.

Fortunately I managed to find a short woman to marry who did’t give a poo poo. :3:

Also I have a big hog, which looks even bigger on my manlet frame so there are definitely advantages

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Collapsing Farts posted:

I am short and it definitely sucks when you’re dating. Tons of women don’t see dudes who are shorter than them as relevant dates at all and that’s just how it is.

Fortunately I managed to find a short woman to marry who did’t give a poo poo. :3:

Also I have a big hog, which looks even bigger on my manlet frame so there are definitely advantages

heh, there was a skinny little runt of a guy where I used to work with the nickname of "tripod". Dude had way more confidence and success with women than I would have thought possible for such a skinny little runt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cloacamazing! posted:

This. Learning to show no reaction did nothing because they already knew I would have funny reactions when pushed too hard, so all that did was prolong the bullying. They never got bored of it, despite what everybody assured me would happen. All this did was ingrain with me that I was not allowed to have any negative emotional reaction in front of anybody ever.

The trick is that this is 'advice' you can give that requires no thought or action on their part and its failure can only be attributed to 'you didn't do it right'.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Every adult I ever told about the bullying I received:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nu6aGcDeAg

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my friend that he wasn’t obliged to hang around my wife?

quote:

My (29M) wife (30F) and my best friend Cyan (25M) do not see eye to eye. Some backstory: my wife and I moved for my new job. Cyan was the cousin of a hs friend so I was thrilled to know someone. We quickly became best friends, closer than brothers. In covid, our job was in person vs. my wife’s WFH.

Cyan is a very kind person. I think wife hated everything about Cyan. She thought he was too goofy and hated how he teased her. My wife takes things seriously, and she’s a romantic so things like date nights are a BIG DEAL to her. she hated when Cyan hung out even when I invited him.

A few months ago I had a 4 month project across the world. I needed the promotion. My wife ended up needing surgery and she unlike me didn’t make close friends here. her friends/fam were too far. She couldn’t do normal things post surgery and wanted me to come back. I complained to Cyan and he suggested that he pop on over to help her. He ended up doing a lot more and my wife heavily relied on his kindness.

When I came back, it was like my wife flipped her switch. Things that were “immature” became “playful”, she constantly fell for his fish for compliments, and it was like Cyan could do no wrong. Cyan still hung out but it was like he couldn’t snap out of caretaker mode. The two of them are practically joined at the hip. When I went to work, my wife packs Cyan a lunch too- and his is a lot better than hers or mine. Cyan needs this or that or whatever. She showers him with attention. My wife can be overbearing like that.

At a small party, I came with my wife and she immediately zoomed to Cyan and monopolized all his time. after he went to the bathroom, which was basically the only time she left him alone, I pulled him aside and told him I knew my wife was clingy and it was okay if he kept boundaries. he wasn’t obliged to hang around my wife. I said it kindly. He turned red, told me I was an rear end in a top hat, and stormed away. He left without saying goodbye to anybody but my wife.

AITA? I told some mutual friends about this and most of them are on my side. They said Cyan didn’t know how to stand up for himself, he was embarassed. Cyan is still pissed.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not disclosing I had plastic surgery to my boyfriend?

quote:

I (26F) have been dating Max (25M) for 4 months. When I was 22, I had a nose job as I broke my nose twice as a kid and it left it with a large bump. Then, at 23, I had a breast augmentation that bumped me up two cup sizes. These were life long insecurities that I was bullied over, and it was really relieving to get them done.

Onto the present, I met Max through a friend and things have been great. Last night, I was strolling through my social media while on the sofa with him. I stopped on an old classmates vacation photo, where she wore a bikini and frankly, had very obvious implants (she looks great, happy for her! But you can tell.)

Max glanced over at that moment and said “Gross.” I asked him what the deal was, and he said women who get implants or other surgeries are a huge turn off to most guys, and how men prefer natural over two balloons and how insecure she looks.

I couldn’t help but laugh and said “So you’re turned off by me?”

He got very confused and asked what I meant, I informed him I had procedures done before. He kept denying it and saying I was joking until I showed him old photos of me.

He got quiet and left shortly after. I got a text saying I should’ve disclosed this on the first date, how I led him on and that he needs to reconsider things.

It’s the next day. Haven’t heard anything, I’m bewildered.

AITA?

Edit:

Alright y’all, I got a text from him a few minutes ago asking to meet up, as he thinks he wants to continue the relationship and wants to talk things over.

After all these comments and some thinking, I sent back along the lines of his reaction made me realize he’s not the partner I’m looking for, and that I’ve decided to not continue our relationship.

So yeah, I’m single now, kind of confused if I should mention this to future dates before were official to weed out any more like him? How do you even bring this up?

Oh well, I like me, I’m content with my natural and unnatural parts, and I’ll find someone who doesn’t have huge hang ups on plastic surgery.

Man wait till this dude learns about makeup!

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for suggesting to my son that he should be neutral with his therapist?

quote:

I’m a father of a 21 year old son who originally came home for winter break from uni. A couple of days ago when he was in his room and we were in the adjacent master bedroom organizing our finances, we heard him talking quite audibly and forcefully, telling his therapist about “all the bad things we’ve done” has done over the years that led him to getting therapy, and once we heard that my wife said it was confidential and we can’t listen, so we tuned out.

Later that evening at dinner, I told my son that I think it would be best if he was neutral with his therapist so that they can come to a judgement regarding all sides of an issue, and that he should include more of the good things we’ve done for him so that things aren’t as one sided, and that he can get the best treatment he needs.

He then looked up at me and proceeded to give me an earful about how I “do not comment on his private affairs”, that he “handles his healthcare however the F he wants”, that I should “be ashamed” of myself for “having the audacity to overstep a boundary like that and listen in” on his session, and I tried to tell him that we genuinely didn’t know it was a therapy session and when we did my wife told me that it’s confidential and private and tuned out, but he just barked “If you would have just kept your F’ing mouth shut then none of this would have happened”, I had to bark back that he does not curse at us and he needs to respect us because we are his parents who have helped him get to where he is today, to which he just picked up his bowl and left the dinner table, going to his room. I tried to later knock on his door and say sorry but didn’t get a response.

The next morning, I got a text saying from my son saying that he’s moving back to his dorm and that he can expect us to not celebrate Christmas with him, and that he’s upset. I tried to explain but he again didn’t respond. And now my wife is angry with me and upset at the fact that I said something that could potentially ruin Christmas if I don’t “make it up to him”, and it’s eating away at me.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Professional Zoomer popping into chat to assure all of you guys that bullying in the shove-in-lockers give-a-swirlie physical abuse form has been mostly eradicated, the primary form of bullying is Cyber now. also cliques aren't really a thing anymore and everybody is addicted to nicotine

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit

mutantIke posted:

Professional Zoomer popping into chat to assure all of you guys that bullying in the shove-in-lockers give-a-swirlie physical abuse form has been mostly eradicated, the primary form of bullying is Cyber now. also cliques aren't really a thing anymore and everybody is addicted to nicotine

is that true everywhere or only in the places where people thought game streaming was going to catch on

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
lmao Bullying Stadia. dumping a trash can over a dweeb's head in the metaverse

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
i'm just using that as shorthand for "dumb rich white people who do not know how life is outside of the nerd universe"

I don't think anyone actually used either of those products

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for asking my roommate to avoid cooking a certain meals when my pregnant girlfriend visits?

quote:

My girlfriend and I are expecting. We don't live together but we're waiting til the baby's born to figure out our living arrangements.

She's 4 months pregnant. There are certain smells that she just cannot tolerate and my roommate tends to cook some meals with a smell that causes her to be nauseous. That wouod result in her throwing up and getting sick.

I tried to speak to him about it but he got pretty defensive saying he has a specific diet that he sticks to and that he didn't see how this was wrong. I cleared things up saying there was nothing wrong with what he was doing but asked him to just not cook those specific meal that have a smell that trigger my girlfriend's nausea. He got upset and ranted about how he's a resident unlike my girlfriend who doesn't live here and said that he can't even consider my request since she's here almost 4 days a week and stays til 10 pm. I tried to discuss it with him and maybe figure out a compromise but he bluntly told me he doesn't owe me or my girlfriend any accomodations nor compromises. I thought that was unncesarily rude and selfish of him. He told me to "deal with it" or tell her not to come which was offensive because she's my partner and she's pregnant and I need to make sure she's okay by seeing her weekly.

He's avoiding me right now. AITA? I figured it wouldn't be such a huge deal since it wasn't like I'm telling him to stop cooking at all, just when my girlfriend is over.

Of course there's no mention of OP going to stay with his pregnant gf, or what smells are causing her to be sick.....

EDIT: Surprising nobody at all!

OP posted:

Info. I can't go to her place because she's currently living with her parents and I can't go over there because I'm not on good terms with them.

Evil Willow fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 10, 2022

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my friend that he wasn’t obliged to hang around my wife?

they hosed

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

quote:

…we're waiting til the baby's born to figure out our living arrangements...
Yeah, you’ll be much more relaxed and will have more time on your hands then, great idea.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for asking my roommate to avoid cooking a certain meals when my pregnant girlfriend visits?

Of course there's no mention of OP going to stay with his pregnant gf, or what smells are causing her to be sick.....

Yeah, I feel like there's a decent chance the horrible smells are some form of spicy ethnic food, or that it's something ridiculously commonplace. Of course there is also the option that the roommate absolutely has to eat durian five days a week.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I think the smell from cooking meat is often a trigger for pregnant women.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Apparently it's "sell other people's stuff to pay the stepkids' medical bills" week.

AITA for refusing to give my father and his wife money that my father saved for me before he met her?

quote:

My father married his wife when I was 12, four years after my mom died from cancer. My father's wife had a 3 year old daughter who a year into their marriage was diagnosed with a form of cancer that is tricky to treat. She underwent chemo and radiation but the treatment did not work. They were told about this alternative treatment that was not offered in any local hospital and it would require staying someplace else for at least three months with her. The treatment itself was also expensive. My father was never wealthy, neither was his wife and her daughter's father and his family were not in her life. There was only one thing that was easily sold and would make enough money to get started on the journey and that was my mom's engagement ring. It left to me, in her will, and was mine. Before my mom it was her mother and grandmother's ring. My great-grandparents helped someone out and it was a gift that was then passed down because of its value. It was extra sentimental because my grandma was in a nursing home with dementia at the time and I had no other living maternal family left. My father decided that could be sold to pay for the treatment. I said no, I begged him not to, he and his wife told me her daughter's life was more important and that it would be selfish to keep a ring and let her die. I told my father I would never forgive him if he sold the ring and that he was stealing from me, because it was mine. He went ahead and sold it anyway and I stayed true to my word. I never forgave them.

I moved out in March, before turning 18, and cut them out of my life. I still hate the two of them and wanted nothing more to do with them again. My father tried to stay in my life but I told him I hoped he knew he lost his daughter (me) and that I wish it had been him to die instead of my mom.

His wife's daughter's cancer has returned and now they want money that my dad saved for me before he married her. It's not a lot of money at all. But I guess they still have lingering stuff from when she was sick before. I told him I would not give him the money and the fact he would ask for it showed that he didn't give a poo poo about me. His wife told me that it's not about me, it's about saving her daughter's life and me being hung up on losing a ring that went on to save the life of a child. I told her that ring meant more to me than they did and that I would not give them any money, so they needed to leave me alone and figure out another plan. My father's parents got involved and I ended up deleting most of my social media and ignoring them. But then I saw my father's wife while I was grabbing groceries and she told me I'm evil and sick and twisted and I should be ashamed of myself.

I don't know if it's all just worn me down or what but I feel like I need to ask, AITA?

Edited to fix some errors.

ETA: After some thinking and reading a lot of comments I have decided they can have the money and I am going to make it clear that I never want to hear from any of them again. If nothing else I need him to do that much. The relationship is done but the money can be theirs.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for expecting my girlfriend to learn French?

I never learned French because I found it boring and then as an adult I found it difficult. Languages are just not my thing but I know that they come easier to other people.

I was mad, I told her she didn’t respect me nor my family and asked he could she expect to be part of my family when she refuses to speak our language.

is this dude part of his own family? It would be pretty funny if the girlfriend did know french and conversations happened around this guy in "his" language that he can't even understand, then she dumped him

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Evil Willow posted:

C'mon man, it's only changing your lifestyle half the time for someone who doesn't officially live here or pay the rent...c'mooonnn

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ilmucche posted:

is this dude part of his own family? It would be pretty funny if the girlfriend did know french and conversations happened around this guy in "his" language that he can't even understand, then she dumped him

There was another post a while back where someone's partner spoke fluent Italian while the OP and his brothers spoke none. IIRC they whined how she shouldn't speak Italian to their Italian family while his grandpa laughed at the loser for never making an effort to learn his family's language in the first place.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Remulak posted:

Yeah, you’ll be much more relaxed and will have more time on your hands then, great idea.

I almost didn't read anymore after that because that's such an insane thing. Just lol.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ilmucche posted:

If the response wasn't just to walk away another great response would have been something along the lines of, "I've decided to learn French to your level of proficiency."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

PiratePrentice posted:

Yeah there are shitloads of women who have straight up height requirements, most of them end up getting old enough to realize that that's a stupid thing to do and give it up but it very much does exist.

A lot of these women who have height requirements get very very mad when you say they don't meet your weight requirements.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 10, 2022

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Canuckistan posted:

I think the smell from cooking meat is often a trigger for pregnant women.

My wife couldn't handle onion, garlic, eggs (yolk only, whites were fine), vegetables, meat; pretty much anything with a scent unless that scent was strong vinegar would make her gag and ultimately throw up. She existed on a diet of fries, ketchup, bananas and dry toast for about 2 months (plus supplements and unflavoured protein shakes and the like in an attempt to keep her healthy).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

cumpantry posted:

they hosed

I was willing to give the benefit of the doubt that the wife just developed a crush on the guy that was caring for her while her husband was away but the way the friend gets in a huff at the end…yeah they definitely hosed.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

cynic posted:

My wife couldn't handle onion, garlic, eggs (yolk only, whites were fine), vegetables, meat; pretty much anything with a scent unless that scent was strong vinegar would make her gag and ultimately throw up. She existed on a diet of fries, ketchup, bananas and dry toast for about 2 months (plus supplements and unflavoured protein shakes and the like in an attempt to keep her healthy).

And hopefully you were able to work around that, but it wouldn't have been reasonable to bring her into someone else's home 4 days a week and tell them they can't cook.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

therobit posted:

Another candidate for father of the year-

AITA for selling my son's car to pay for his stepbrother's surgery?

What a loving nightmare. I’m assuming this is in the US. Anybody in a single-payer system heard of anything like this happening where you’re from?

Sounds like the family makes too much to receive regular Medicaid, or any of the programs for medically fragile children that has a higher income threshold, for the kid. Or maybe nobody at the doctors office has recommended they apply for one of those programs because the US health system is so ducking confusing.

I think in some states, parents have had to basically sign their kids into foster care so that the state will pay for the necessary medical care while the kids remains in the home with their parents. But that’s also a terrifying prospect because the kid is now no longer legally their kid and our foster system can act pretty maliciously through incompetence.

Edit: well gently caress. Most states charge families child support when they put their kids into foster care, according to the Google research I’m doing. Since I know there have been kids in the system while remaining with their families due to unaffordable medical care, I’m guessing it is cheaper than the necessary medical care? Still sounds like more penalizing poor people for being poor. (This is without getting into overwhelming race-based income disparities that everyone on this forum are well aware of).

I know, the OP is asking if he’s an rear end in a top hat for wanting to sell his other sons car. But I feel like he shouldn’t even have to try to find money for his other kid’s necessary medical care.

Edit2: so it looks like there can be voluntary placement for medical care, but the child resides in a medical care home for the duration of medical care and the state is probably still gonna bill the parents for being too poor to cover medical costs.

So they should still check into state Medicaid programs that cover “medically fragile” children since those can be used in combination with the insurance the kid may already be using through parent’s job.

cake bunny posted:

Yeah, there is expressly no social safety net system in the US for most people wrt medical expenses and that's how I read it when you wrote social services, since that's a US governmental agency name. I too have both personal experience with both my family and myself navigating these situations over, well, my whole life, and I also went into areas of professional work where I helped others navigate our lovely, messed up country to try to keep them from dropping dead, becoming homeless, or any of the other fun propositions, including what is essentially re-legalized debtor's prison! Outside of charities or crowdfunding, there is a hodgepodge of frequently obfuscated privately run "help programs" that may or may not exist in any particular area or hospital. Not all hospitals will assist with or negotiate regarding bills unless the patient meets very narrow financial requirements. There is a reason that the lady who badgered that hospital into reducing her boyfriend's bill was being hailed as a hero, and it's not because she just chatted up the hospital's social worker.

Since you've said you know these processes, I think you must just be coming across as kind of callous by accident? No, nobody in the US should have to just suck up the insane costs passed on to surgery patients. The problem is that it's most often not at all an easy or even publicized process to get your bill reduced. A lot of the time you have to have relative cognitive, prior knowledge, and time privileges to 1) be able to understand all of the legalese bullshit that gets thrown at you, 2) know that there is possibly something that can even be done and who to talk to start finding out more about it for that particular place, since every loving hospital/hospital system is different, 3) be often inhumanely persistent in the face of navigating systems and people who are designed around, and often compensated for, getting as many people to just gently caress off and pay the full bill as is possible.

A lot of hospitals purposefully do not tell people about options even existing. A lot of other hospitals don't even have anything established to reduce bills unless you would be able to meet more stringent financial qualifications than even Medicaid uses and you don't already have insurance, so good luck when that's not you but you still can't pay a multiple thousands of dollars bill. The people in hospital administrative positions are frequently incentivized to not help, and the people who need this help are generally not in much of a mental or physical state to handle the daunting rear end hoops that you have to figure out exist and then manage to jump through. And then you have to pay the doctors, which are not part of the hospital bill, so any agreement you might have managed to get there absolutely does not cover those bills. Also, doctors in many places can refuse to make payment agreements and then file with the court to enforce collection of their full bill, which, in more than a few jurisdictions, can land the patient in jail if they can't pay the amount in full within 30 days (or whatever other timeframe the law in that area gets to choose).

The way things are completely sucks and anyone having to deal with it deserves empathy. The way you're writing about it makes it sound like maybe you think it's something people are in the wrong for if they aren't able to pull it off. I'm hoping that's not how you meant to come across.

Your reply is better than mine. Just wanted to add that a lot of charities are slow as hell I’m getting to the administration duties to decide to help people and state governments often believe that there are nonprofit or public programs offering assistance because they funded them several decades ago, but those programs no longer do some of what they were originally tasked with doing.

In my case, various rental assistance programs. I figure rental assistance stuff is simple compared to the complexity of our bloated US health system. So, thank you, Cake Bunny, for working directly with people to find ways for them to be able to afford the health care they should be entitled to.

Also healthcare.gov requires some scrutiny since all of the plans are being permitted to jack up their premium price while covering less. And deductible should never have been a thing allowed in insurance.

Bored fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 10, 2022

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

limp_cheese posted:

I almost didn't read anymore after that because that's such an insane thing. Just lol.

The thinking is so obviously "well once the baby's here her parents are going to be obliged to let me move in lol!"

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
AITA for telling my husband he should give me the jewellery he inherited from his grandmother

quote:

I (F32) have been with my husband (M33) for seven years. During this time, we've been fairly close. We don't have any kids, since I'm not a big fan of them, but he's always taken good care of me.

Two weeks ago his grandmother died peacefully in her sleep. We were both very close with her, me especially. My family in law haven't been very accepting of me, and she was the only one who really took the care to know me better. We had similar tastes in fashion, jewellery and makeup, and we really bonded discussing different products.

Naturally, my husband and I were both very upset when we heard the news, however I think her funeral helped us both get the closure we needed. Now, here comes the part where I think I might have been the ah.

In his grandmothers will, she gave him all her jewellery and me nothing. We were both quite surprised by this, as what would he have to do with jewellery. He said it would probably be because they had fun dressing up in it when he was a kid, but I was a little skeptical of this as what use would he have for it as a fully grown adult?

I told him he should just give it to me as I would probably use it more anyway and if it was his it would just be put somewhere gathering dust. He told me that wasn't what he wanted, and he wanted it for nostalgia purposes. I thought that was ridiculous, and I told him as much.

He then got very upset with me saying this was the only thing he got in the will and he wanted to keep it for himself. He then said that I was being insensitive and I should just let him have the jewellery. I left it that in the moment, but later I told him I thought he was being selfish and inconsiderate of my needs. He's been cold with me ever since, and I've been doing the same. I think he should at least apologise to me for being so greedy, as he wouldn't even let me have 1 necklace.

So, AITA? I don't think I am because I'm just being rational but I'm always open to other opinions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Runcible Cat posted:

The thinking is so obviously "well once the baby's here her parents are going to be obliged to let me move in lol!"

That's what I was thinking too. Surely that won't make your already bad relationship with the parents even worse, soon-to-be father of unreported age!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
My needs are your dead grandmother’s jewelry, do not be selfish and inconsiderate.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Pomme de Terror posted:

AITA for telling my husband he should give me the jewellery he inherited from his grandmother

r/relationships: I'm just being rational

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pope Corky the IX posted:

My needs are your dead grandmother’s jewelry, do not be selfish and inconsiderate.

Yeah, she's been dead for 2 weeks now and I helped give you closure about it! Come on, cough up!