Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Looper posted:

we've had this conversation before but, for the record, l3 and r3 are pretty difficult to accidentally press

I do it all the time because I tend to press really hard on the sticks when I am getting stressed. Accidentally activating a special in Salmon Run when you didn’t mean to sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Looper posted:

we've had this conversation before but, for the record, l3 and r3 are pretty difficult to accidentally press

maybe for you, but i have twitchy thumbs from arthritis and accidentally click them all the time, it loving sucks

the person earlier is right about it being harder on the pro controller, but it's a big issue with me and the joy cons

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

L3 suck for running because when you need to press it you've already got the stick at full tilt in a direction and that reduces the reliability of pressing it. L3 should be for a function you'll normally use with the stick in a neutral position, like lock-on.

Still, run is a better function for it than loving jump like in dark souls 3.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hate using L3 in Switch games, because I live in fear of Joycon drift after my first pair got them. On other controllers it's fine though.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

it also kinda sucks because clicking the sticks always feels awful

clicking the sticks? feels awful??? what, did you put a taser into your switch and it's tasing you every time you press your stick down?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Feels like it. I have weak baby hands

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

I prefer to use D-Pads in 2-D sidescrollers when I can, tying an input to L3 gets in the way of that. But if that’s the only option it’s fine I guess, it won’t stop me from playing the game.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

hatty posted:

Feels like it. I have weak baby hands

I seriously hope you never put your thumb on the stick of an old PSP then, because :lol: that thing nearly made my thumb bleed, it was far too rough. The Switch has really neat sticks in comparison.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The old PSP analog stick collected gunk like crazy too. Super gross.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I wasn't personally. If I remember Zero Mission did it best, and Fusion improved upon it. Those games have far fewer buttons but also less abilities.

It's really my only critique of an otherwise terrific game and it's a very minor issue. I'm not fighting against the controls and everything comes together fine. They just strike me as a bit obtuse. I think I died to a boss in the water zone once and only once because I kept screwing up the grappling beam and missiles. The dev team really learned from Samus Returns and it's cool to see how they just went whole hog.

I really tried to think about about this, and I think Dark Souls did it too didn't they? Bugged me then, but less since you didn't need to dash as much and it was the first game, so it set the precedent. I'm just really used to the older games, especially having played them all within the last year or so, but I'll get used to this too.

Yeah, you're good. I had some problems fighting with the Grapple Beam in Dread a time or two myself. Still worlds better than Super! I agree that the GBA Metroid games did it the best of the 2D games. Though I think I still remapped a couple things when I played those on the Wii U.

Anyway! Glad you're enjoying Dread.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Libluini posted:

I seriously hope you never put your thumb on the stick of an old PSP then, because :lol: that thing nearly made my thumb bleed, it was far too rough. The Switch has really neat sticks in comparison.

I had to buy a third party stick cover for the sandpaper nub. Thing gave me terrible blisters after playing monster hunter

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Large Testicles posted:

maybe for you, but i have twitchy thumbs from arthritis and accidentally click them all the time, it loving sucks

the person earlier is right about it being harder on the pro controller, but it's a big issue with me and the joy cons

that does loving suck, i'm sorry

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN posted:

stux made a stux post. l3 to sprint (or shinespark in Dread's case) is a very common thing in games. See: a large chunk of the fps genre

OH! FPS that makes sense, I don't ever play those so that's why I wouldn't have noticed.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Silver Falcon posted:

If we're comparing the controls of Super Metroid of all things to Dread then loving lol when's the last time you played Super with the default controls? The default controls in that game are loving DUMB. I remapped the hell out of them when I played that game in the Wii U, which allowed you to remap the controls, because that is a good option to have.
Super Metroid lets you remap controls in game, that's not a Wii U specific feature.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The mapping in game is limited because it can’t see the extra buttons modern controllers have so you can’t put stuff on the Z buttons. The Wii U way of doing it let’s you go nuts iirc

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

teagone posted:

Last I played I was maybe like 30ish runs deep? I can’t remember, it’s been a while. I for sure didn’t get to the final final ending. I honestly just wanted access to my saves to see what my stats were again lol.

That's not super far, but it would sure bother me to start over.. If you're willing to pay for a temporary online subscription and a PC copy of Hades, you might be in luck: Hades is one of very few games on the Switch that has cross-save!

It's probably simpler than this, but basically
1. Get your cousin a Switch Online subscription
2. Gift them Hades on Steam
3. They play on Switch, hook up to their Steam account, save their game, which transfers the save data to PC
4. You get the save files from the folder listed here, then overwrite the saves for your PC ver of Hades
5. You start up Hades on Switch and link your Steam account, and then allow it to overwrite the Switch saves
6. Voila!

(success not guaranteed, but the existence of 100% saves floating around appears to mean that they're not locked to your Steam ID or anything silly like that.. also now that I have a Steam Deck there are tons of other games I would literally pay money for this also to be a solution for)

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Large Testicles posted:

loving :same:

Stick clicking wasn't really a favorite of mine when my hands weren't actual garbage, but now they cause added pain and strain that I really hate. Remapping is nice, when the game supports it, at least...

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Odd Wilson posted:

loving :same:

Stick clicking wasn't really a favorite of mine when my hands weren't actual garbage, but now they cause added pain and strain that I really hate. Remapping is nice, when the game supports it, at least...
Get an 8BitDo Pro 2 (or I think the 8BitDo Ultimate allows this too) and use the remapping software on PC to blank out the actual L3 and R3 and map the back paddles to L3 and R3.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

paddles shouldve been an industry standard like two generations ago it doesnt make any sense

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Bug Squash posted:

L3 suck for running because when you need to press it you've already got the stick at full tilt in a direction and that reduces the reliability of pressing it. L3 should be for a function you'll normally use with the stick in a neutral position, like lock-on.

Still, run is a better function for it than loving jump like in dark souls 3.

it is 100% reliable to press you simply press it

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Mia Wasikowska posted:

paddles shouldve been an industry standard like two generations ago it doesnt make any sense

Am I the only one who accidentally hits the back paddles all the time while just holding the controller, or shifting my grip around? I can't use them.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
if you're adding a run to your 2D game it simply must be mapped to the button right next to jump such that I can hold run with the pad of my thumb and jump with the joint of my thumb. these are super mario world rules, and cannot be changed, nor should they be

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Am I the only one who accidentally hits the back paddles all the time while just holding the controller, or shifting my grip around? I can't use them.

it's the same thing with me too and the xbone pro controller because of the aforementioned arthritis making basically all my digits a lil twitchy. i have an adjustable pressure mechanical keyboard specifically because of it. me trying to play an FPS is hilarious cause i'll be shooting randomly for no reason just cause my index finger loves to twitch. it's particularly bad in the morning if it's cold. both of my hands will start shaking so bad that i jokingly call it my morning Parkinson's but it literally is just because i've been sitting in front of a computer for basically 40 straight years as of tomorrow.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
My switch pro controller can wake my console and turn my tv on to the correct input but when I put the console to sleep my tv stays on.

Should it be able to turn it off?

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

My switch pro controller can wake my console and turn my tv on to the correct input but when I put the console to sleep my tv stays on.

that might be another option on your tv itself, i know it is on my PC monitor that i have my switch plugged into

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Snackmar posted:

That's not super far, but it would sure bother me to start over.. If you're willing to pay for a temporary online subscription and a PC copy of Hades, you might be in luck: Hades is one of very few games on the Switch that has cross-save!

It's probably simpler than this, but basically
1. Get your cousin a Switch Online subscription
2. Gift them Hades on Steam
3. They play on Switch, hook up to their Steam account, save their game, which transfers the save data to PC
4. You get the save files from the folder listed here, then overwrite the saves for your PC ver of Hades
5. You start up Hades on Switch and link your Steam account, and then allow it to overwrite the Switch saves
6. Voila!

(success not guaranteed, but the existence of 100% saves floating around appears to mean that they're not locked to your Steam ID or anything silly like that.. also now that I have a Steam Deck there are tons of other games I would literally pay money for this also to be a solution for)

Thanks for all this, but honestly, I don't know if I want go through all that just to have a go/peek at the stats from my original saves, lol. It's been a while since I played anyways, so starting fresh is probably a good idea. My cousin is also super busy around this time of year and don't want to be a bother, haha.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

No, but turning the TV off will put the switch to sleep.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Poopy Palpy posted:

No, but turning the TV off will put the switch to sleep.
Wait, really?

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
need a quick take: if I loved the SFC rom and the DS version. is Front Mission 1st good enough to buy rn?

yes/no/wait

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

There's a setting in the Switch menus for something like, "Match tv setting" or something where it'll turn on and off when the tv does.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hrist posted:

There's a setting in the Switch menus for something like, "Match tv setting" or something where it'll turn on and off when the tv does.

Wait, the tv turning on will turn the Switch on? I knew about it turning it off.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, the tv turning on will turn the Switch on? I knew about it turning it off.

Yeah, mine has done that a few times, and it will automatically switch the input to the one the Switch is using. Even if I left it on a different input to watch stuff from my Roku last time the tv was on. If my dock AC power thing is is plugged into an outlet, turning on the tv will just automatically send a signal saying to let the Switch take priority. It's weird. I usually leave my dock unplugged unless I'm charging my Switch because of it.

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It depends on the TV you have, my LG has a CEC feature that will turn on devices connected to the last active HDMI port when the TV is turned on. I turned it off because the TV was constantly turning on my Switch and PlayStation, I only use it on the ARC port for my sound bar now.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

wizard2 posted:

need a quick take: if I loved the SFC rom and the DS version. is Front Mission 1st good enough to buy rn?

yes/no/wait

DS version is the definitive version but the gameplay in the remake is practically identical. There are some bugs but nothing major.

Wanzers are cool to look at in 3D. All other games in the series use 3D graphics so it brings 1st closer to later games like 3 and 4.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WaltherFeng posted:

DS version is the definitive version but the gameplay in the remake is practically identical. There are some bugs but nothing major.

Wanzers are cool to look at in 3D. All other games in the series use 3D graphics so it brings 1st closer to later games like 3 and 4.

After playing a couple missions in the remake, I still haven't understood yet why the legs are even there. If an arm gets blown off, sure that weapon is gone, but even losing both legs doesn't seem to mission kill a Wanzer. Are they losing mobilitiy at least and I just missed that?

I like the "Battletech-but-simplified"-feel Front Mission 1 is giving me. If there are more remakes, I'll certainly buy them too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Hit my hardest boss (more than 2-3 tries) on the dude to restart some generator. I thought I was going to get the Plasma beam, but I was wrong. I had trouble getting the melee counter timing down (which I can do about a quarter of the time on EMMI's), but once I got that, he was done.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I liked the twist in Peach Gardens.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
My party on Oregon Trail has nearly collapsed less than 200 miles from the Columbia River. While crossing from Fort Boise to Snake River, my doctor caught dysentery and proceeded to share it with two others in the group.

Close to death, we reached the Snake River critically ill, with two broken arms and faced with rapid river conditions. We caulked the wagons and continued.

About halfway across the river, my wagon tips, killing one ox and drowning the doctor and musician in the party.

The two surviving members trudge on, but having witnessed this their morale is in the dumps and they start fighting.

One party member abandons the cause. I have 120 miles left with my wagon and exhausted oxen and I'm home free.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The sky is blue and all the leaves are green
The sun's as warm as a baked potato
I think I know precisely what I mean
When I say it's a shpadoinkle day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Pillow Armadillo posted:

My party on Oregon Trail has nearly collapsed less than 200 miles from the Columbia River. While crossing from Fort Boise to Snake River, my doctor caught dysentery and proceeded to share it with two others in the group.

Close to death, we reached the Snake River critically ill, with two broken arms and faced with rapid river conditions. We caulked the wagons and continued.

About halfway across the river, my wagon tips, killing one ox and drowning the doctor and musician in the party.

The two surviving members trudge on, but having witnessed this their morale is in the dumps and they start fighting.

One party member abandons the cause. I have 120 miles left with my wagon and exhausted oxen and I'm home free.

always caulk