Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I dunno, I liked exploring the map. It wasn’t the most filled with character region, but there was enough little hidden stuff to appreciate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

I dunno, I liked exploring the map. It wasn’t the most filled with character region, but there was enough little hidden stuff to appreciate

Same, I actually quite enjoyed hunting down all the little secret ruins and watch towers. This game scratched a big itch for me and made the improvements I'd wanted SW/SH to make which was having a greater variety of unique biomes without the old hallway structure interfering.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

vga show reminds me that scarvi started development two years after botw2 did and they announced the release date for next year yesterday

lmao at how obviously rushed this title was

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Cant Ride A Bus posted:

Finished my team tonight and gave it a test run on ladder. Went 2-0, first match was close but I absolutely steamrolled the second. Prankster Murkrow is monstrous paired with Gallade and Hydreigon

[Farigiraf's Armor Tail]

The number of times someone has led Murkrow/Hydreigon into my Farigiraf/Torkoal or Sylveon and tried to prankster taunt my Farigiraf is hilarious.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I like the map fine, I think it feels exactly the right size. I do feel like there could be one more biome, though, you know? Like a dark spooky place with all ghosts and poison types, I dunno, something else. But overall I think it's just about enough map for me.

I have a shiny Hisuian voltorb and I've never been more grateful for 'capture without battling' because that fucker didn't even get a chance. also, shiny Hsuian voltorb is *gorgeous*.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I think you're mad if you want the games to go back to room-and-hallway map design. Open world is how it should be forever

I miss the more direct engagement of pokemon from PLA. Pokemon attacking you, the trainer; and being able to sneak up on pokemon and catch them without battling. It would have been nice to have that in this game, but that's probably a bit too big of a change for the main games. I'll be happy if they bring out another Legends game.

Maybe we could have a Legends game exploring the hinterlands of Unova, with cowboys and that kind of thing. Maybe not actually, I'm not sure the writers would be able to include native Americans in a tactful enough way to not upset people (and they obviously couldn't just ignore the issue). But more Legends games would be neat even if it's just Legends: Celebi or something and set in olden days Kanto and/or Johto

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The emptiness of the world helps it really feel big to me. Like you're actually going on an adventure journey, rather than walking through a theme park. You can look out on an open vista and really feel like you're in the wilderness. It's a feeling the series hasn't had since the 2D games where the vertical perspective hid how little ground you actually cover.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly the world surprised me. Even after finishing the game I still find nooks and crannies I didn't notice the first time around. All I say it's missing is a bit more unique rewards? TMs end up feeling like you've got then twenty times after a while. Maybe some evolved but on level Pokemon, or rarer ones in fixed spots.

By the way, I've noticed something about auctions. If you make an initial bid NPCs will start raking up the price but if you pass on the first bid they will just do 500 increases? Or so it felt to me, the weak point is if you pass when a NPC gives up you lose.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I'm mad that they keep hiding TMs and cool stuff behind buildings so now I have to check behind every single thing like that dog who found a pie in a bush and kept visiting the Magic Pie Bush forever.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the open world was mid

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

HopperUK posted:

I like the map fine, I think it feels exactly the right size. I do feel like there could be one more biome, though, you know? Like a dark spooky place with all ghosts and poison types, I dunno, something else. But overall I think it's just about enough map for me.

That's what I thought the inside of the crater would be like (the whole place, not just the very last section).

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Found a Flittle with a green frill last night. I'm not liking the decision behind getting rid of the shiny sound/sparkle and adding shinies that aren't that strikingly different from the original, especially on really small Pokemon.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Avalerion posted:

But the world between all this might as well not exist. You can pretty much just dash from goal to goal ignoring anything else. Which I guess is on the player yea. But there just isn't that sense of a journey there anymore for me.

Your complaint is true for every open world game. You can just say "I don't like open world games"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Framboise posted:

Gens 6 and 7 had the opposite problem from 8 and 9 in that I feel like they were over-bloated, imo. Obviously I'd rather have too many things going on than too few, but still.

I do still feel gen 7 was kind of the apex of what Pokemon was supposed to be though.

Gen 6s issue was not that it was overflowing with content. In fact it was the opposite, XY feels incomplete basically everywhere.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
The loud sound effect in PLA was a bit OTT tbh. It would be nice if shinies in SV would occasionally sparkle, like they did on spawning in PLA and like they do when you initiate a battle. Some shinies are just really subtle and you wouldn't notice a lot of the time. That said I've found 4 so far (Buizel, Bronzor, Venomoth, Cubchoo) in about 60 hours of play so I'm doing ok

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

It's a shame when an unevolved shiny is good and then the evolved version is a bit whatever. Golduck, Garchomp, Beartic. I do heavily favour obnoxious and obvious shinies though. I guess some people must like the subtle ones!

My actual favourites are 'still looks like it works for the creature, but is obviously different' like Talonflame or Starly or Shinx. My shiny Hsuian Decidueye is a beautiful lad.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Game's got 8 gyms, 5 antagonist team admins, 5 (pretty basic) totem pokemon, the most new pokemon since gen 5 and even some other stuff on top of that and you think there's not enough here?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I was replying to Framboise about gen 9 feeling like there was a lack of content.

I mostly agree that the map is kinda boring and definitely agree that SM were the best.

I meant what I said. Sure there are a ton of badges, but like I've said before, they feel like small pit stops rather than events or accomplishments-- and while the open world is vast, it's a vast expanse of... not a whole lot to actually do, really. For the first 50% of the game, I was scouring every inch of every area looking for secrets or sidequests or something, and other than the stakes, there's really nothing much to discover, and it kind of defeats the purpose of having the big open world when you realize you don't have to really explore it to get everything it has to offer.

Separate from that, I was saying gens 6 and 7 were bloated in comparison because they were loaded with so many minigames in so many menus and towns and such, and so on. Hyper training minigames, PokemonAmie, Union Circle, PokePelago, and so on. While I found those a little tedious at the time, I appreciate them more now that we no longer have them. They were extra bits of love and detail that were able to be put into the game, and as shoehorned and out of place I felt some of them were in the past, they added a lot to the game's personality.

That, and in past gens (not even 6 or 7, but all the way back to 1) reaching a new town or city felt exciting because every building had something to discover or NPCs that have something to give or say. Reaching new cities in SV isn't even fun-- there's very little to interact with and each city has a bunch of buildings you can't go into, with the same food and clothing shops that have maybe only a couple differences from the others. Gone are the times where you'd happen upon a spooky ghost girl on the empty floor of a building, or are given a one-of-a-kind Pokemon, or get surprised by the champion of the previous gen, or get asked to leave your Pokemon with a lonely old man so he can live out his final days with a companion. All of those things have stuck in my mind over the years as exciting bits of personality and flavor that SwSh and SV are nearly devoid of.

SV ends up being a huge world with not a lot of flavor or excitement to it.

It's my biggest quibble about the game outside of the performance issues. SV's story is good, the new Pokemon are good, the characters are good, and the music is good, having some of the best music since gen 5, but as an open world game, it falls kinda flat and feels half-baked to me.

Tenebrais posted:

The emptiness of the world helps it really feel big to me. Like you're actually going on an adventure journey, rather than walking through a theme park. You can look out on an open vista and really feel like you're in the wilderness. It's a feeling the series hasn't had since the 2D games where the vertical perspective hid how little ground you actually cover.

I get what you're saying. But for me, that excitement fizzles quickly when you realize there's nothing to really see or experience in that wilderness. You look out at the open vista from a mountaintop, find a place of interest, and when you get there, there isn't much to reward you for exploring. Emptiness may make the world look big and full of adventure, but it doesn't really make for engaging gameplay. The rewards you get for exploring are very weak. 80% of the time it's a TM or item you probably already have dozens of (and can easily make more of), 5% of the time it's a held item, 1% of the time there's a stake to pull, and the rest of the time it's... nothing.

SV is good, and I really do mean that-- I've happily sunk 80 hours into it and I don't regret it at all, but the world feels hollow to me and that is a part of it I do feel disappointed about. It really did need more time to polish it and flesh out incentives for exploration.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Gen 6s issue was not that it was overflowing with content. In fact it was the opposite, XY feels incomplete basically everywhere.

I'm specifically referring more to extra bits of things to do and engage with, such as minigames and NPC flavor bits and such.

I definitely agree that XY felt incomplete, it's probably the game I'm most disappointed with in the whole series and probably the only one I've no interest in engaging with ever again.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Spanish Manlove posted:

Your complaint is true for every open world game. You can just say "I don't like open world games"

If you "dash from goal to goal ignoring everything else" then you are doing it wrong! also even the older, non-open-world games are made more boring if you do that

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

i just realized that charmeleon is supposed to be like "chameleon"

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

HopperUK posted:

It's a shame when an unevolved shiny is good and then the evolved version is a bit whatever. Golduck, Garchomp, Beartic. I do heavily favour obnoxious and obvious shinies though. I guess some people must like the subtle ones!

Golduck was a missed opportunity to have the colours reversed with evolution, so blue psyduck becomes a gold golduck, a gold golduck would have been so nice

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

HopperUK posted:

It's a shame when an unevolved shiny is good and then the evolved version is a bit whatever.

Poor Teddiursa is such a cute color of green, and then Ursaring is a hideous neon toxic green. At least they fixed it with making shiny Ursaluna look nice, even if it's a completely different color unrelated to the others.

I agree that shinies should be a noticeable, eyecatching color instead of something subtle and barely noticeable.

Clefable is my favorite Pokemon, and I'm forever disappointed by its shiny, since the only change is that the tips of its ears turn from black to a gross neon green. (If it was up to me, the body would be white or silvery to match the moon!)

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Zokari posted:

i just realized that charmeleon is supposed to be like "chameleon"

nice

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I don't need the open world to have tangible rewards, but it should at least have interesting features or NPC's to stumble across. BotW was (of course) the gold standard for this, where all you were really finding were korok seeds or shrines, but the world was well made enough that it was interesting to find a cave behind a waterfall, or a dude on top of a mountain just chilling and talking about how much he loves mountains

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

I don't need the open world to have tangible rewards, but it should at least have interesting features or NPC's to stumble across. BotW was (of course) the gold standard for this, where all you were really finding were korok seeds or shrines, but the world was well made enough that it was interesting to find a cave behind a waterfall, or a dude on top of a mountain just chilling and talking about how much he loves mountains

To me, those are rewards. Something, anything at all, to amuse or surprise the player for doing a thing, rather than it end up being nothing but an item or TM you've already got loads of.

Like, as an item korok seeds were lame past the point of inventory expansion, but they were entertaining little puzzles or things to interact with to reward you for being observant or thorough in your exploration.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

finding a cute new poke is a better reward than the umpteenth chest with a sword with limited durability

ugly evolutions are really the weapon durability of pokemon come to think of it

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Framboise posted:

To me, those are rewards. Something, anything at all, to amuse or surprise the player for doing a thing, rather than it end up being nothing but an item or TM you've already got loads of.

Like, as an item korok seeds were lame past the point of inventory expansion, but they were entertaining little puzzles or things to interact with to reward you for being observant or thorough in your exploration.

Yeah, I agree. This game kind of does that with TMs but not really. I wish pokemon were placed with more care so you could, say, stumble across one which only spawns in a certain cave. (I don't think that's how it is now? They have spawn locations but seem to spawn with a fairly generous range in their territory)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Tender Bender posted:

Yeah, I agree. This game kind of does that with TMs but not really. I wish pokemon were placed with more care so you could, say, stumble across one which only spawns in a certain cave. (I don't think that's how it is now? They have spawn locations but seem to spawn with a fairly generous range in their territory)

You'll find unique Tera pokemon in specific places, which is fine I suppose, but the only example I can think of is that there's only one cave where Roaring Moon/Iron Valiant will spawn in Area Zero, and it's kinda tucked away.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

On another note, I managed to track down copies of the Orre games since I’ve wanted to play them and it doesn’t look like they’re going to be ported/remade anytime soon. Speaking of, what’s the best overall form to evolve Eevee into in Gale Of Darkness and how soon can you do so?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Larryb posted:

On another note, I managed to track down copies of the Orre games since I’ve wanted to play them and it doesn’t look like they’re going to be ported/remade anytime soon. Speaking of, what’s the best overall form to evolve Eevee into in Gale Of Darkness and how soon can you do so?

You can evolve your Eevee extremely early since you're given a choice between the 3 stones to evolve Eevee into Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon or you can get the Sun Shard and Moon Shard, which are key items unique to this game that makes Eevee evolve into Espeon or Umbreon almost instantaneously since there's no in-game clock in Pokemon XD.

Also the best way to play as in most Pokemon games is to go hyper offensive so Jolteon or Espeon are your best bet, especially when you don't have to deal with the happiness mechanic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Hammerite posted:

I think you're mad if you want the games to go back to room-and-hallway map design. Open world is how it should be forever
Nah, as much fun as I'm having with Violet, I still think Gamefreak does linear better than open. One style of game isn't better than the other by default, but it's pretty obvious what GF's strengths and weaknesses are(especially given how short their dev cycles are these days).

Spanish Manlove posted:

I find it funny that after years of the fanbase going "give us an open world pokemon game gamefreak, stop railroading us", the most common (non-bug-related) complaints are "this is an open world game, I can go wherever I want in whatever order I want, wtf?".

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zuzie posted:

You can evolve your Eevee extremely early since you're given a choice between the 3 stones to evolve Eevee into Vaporeon, Jolteon and Flareon or you can get the Sun Shard and Moon Shard, which are key items unique to this game that makes Eevee evolve into Espeon or Umbreon almost instantaneously since there's no in-game clock in Pokemon XD.

Also the best way to play as in most Pokemon games is to go hyper offensive so Jolteon or Espeon are your best bet, especially when you don't have to deal with the happiness mechanic.

Good to know, Gale seems a little more “traditional” overall than Colosseum as well (you can save anywhere, not every fight’s a double battle, your starter begins at Level 5 instead of the mid 20’s, and there are regular wild Pokémon in addition to Shadow ones)

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

Haifisch posted:

I find it funny that after years of the fanbase going "give us an open world pokemon game gamefreak, stop railroading us", the most common (non-bug-related) complaints are "this is an open world game, I can go wherever I want in whatever order I want, wtf?".

Its almost as if the Pokemon fanbase isn't a monolithic entity that all share the same opinions.

But yeah, Game Freak's ideas for "open world" is a lot better then in previous games which had "dungeons" that were basically a hallway, and the most complicated of these being 3 different short dead ends with a single item.

Sword and Shield kind of had both examples: the base game had the Galar mines which were just hallways you can't get lost in and the DLC had a few areas (the woods on the Isle of Armor and the Cave that led to the Crown Shrine in the Crown Tundra) which could make you feel like Leon.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hammerite posted:

You say that like it was a bad thing. SV had all of two dungeons that I found(tunnels to ice mountain south of it, tunnels to psychic gym) and I only found those after the game and when I was dicking around without my mount respectively. And those two dungeons lacked any punch at all because you could just walk through them picking up items.

Your movement in this game is so powerful and the obstacles are so weak (you can literally ignore trainers and avoid random encounters) that it becomes a featureless path between a and b regardless of whatever zig zagging you do along the way picking up items. Those "hallways" full of dudes to overcome were 100x more involved than these giant open spaces that you can move freely around in without any real opposition. Maybe if I couldn't zip over literally anything and there was a challenge in moving from a to b the open world would have worked for me, but here it wad just a detriment.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Hammerite posted:

If you "dash from goal to goal ignoring everything else" then you are doing it wrong! also even the older, non-open-world games are made more boring if you do that

there's nothing else to ignore

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

You say that like it was a bad thing. SV had all of two dungeons that I found(tunnels to ice mountain south of it, tunnels to psychic gym) and I only found those after the game and when I was dicking around without my mount respectively. And those two dungeons lacked any punch at all because you could just walk through them picking up items.

Your movement in this game is so powerful and the obstacles are so weak (you can literally ignore trainers and avoid random encounters) that it becomes a featureless path between a and b regardless of whatever zig zagging you do along the way picking up items. Those "hallways" full of dudes to overcome were 100x more involved than these giant open spaces that you can move freely around in without any real opposition. Maybe if I couldn't zip over literally anything and there was a challenge in moving from a to b the open world would have worked for me, but here it wad just a detriment.

Those "hallways" full of dudes to overcome were incredibly easy and not the opposition/challenge you're presenting it as. I'd rather be able to go around giant spaces, catch the pokemon I see, and fight trainers when I feel like it, than have my poke-catching throttled through static gauntlets of Hikers who challenge me with their single graveler or raticate

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Your movement in this game is so powerful and the obstacles are so weak

simple as

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Trainers only having 1 dude and being blips is something a lot of people complain about in this game, not the past ones. Rock tunnel averaged about had about 2-3 dudes per trainer in red and blue for instance. Mount moon is the same way. They mostly weren't individual threats, but they did attrition you. These are kids games, so the consequence of letting yourself to get worn down is a walk of shame to a poke center rather than actual defeat 9 times out of 10, buy the point is that it's something to overcome, not the difficulty.

If there was anything to moving around the map in SV that would also work but the map is a featureless series of cliffs that you very quickly gain the ability to just jump up. There's no figuring out how to get somewhere, you just go there without having to navigate the terrain at all.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
To me the Pokemon were the collectables/rewards for exploration which is why I've stopped playing now that my pokedex is complete.

It's basically exactly the same as botw except I care about the adorable kokoruk seeds and I can buy the breakable weapons at any pokecenter.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

I detest this repulsive little freak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Stux posted:

yeah they avbsoltuely turned it into an open world in the last 9 months or whateve.r 100%.

I said changed to being fully open world. Like it was already “open world” with the maps the same or very similar but they removed a lot of the structure and linearity.

The game is fun but I don’t think it’s because of how non-linear it is tbh.