Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BennettCartoons/status/1601448454114664448?t=FmOCZbyKdfxdBEnU1WVM8w&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
white people already calling getting a POC out of weed prison a bad deal online :v:

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

ive been on an internet break lately, anything new on the posting front or is the same ol' grind continuing?

Nah, everything sucks, no change.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

evilmiera posted:

How in the world would anyone in Putin's government be qualified as a liberal?

go away

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Broke: Bernie Bros

Woke: Putin Pals

Bespoke: Mishustin Mensheviks

I'm a Medvedev Maniac

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Truga posted:

white people already calling getting a POC out of weed prison a bad deal online :v:

My most pro-Ukraine buddy sent me a frankly appalling text that has me questioning our friendship more than any aspect of the war so far

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zodium posted:

what do you think a liberal is?

liberals are the good guys

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

My most pro-Ukraine buddy sent me a frankly appalling text that has me questioning our friendship more than any aspect of the war so far

post it

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Ehh I feel bad for outing my friend when he's in his cups. I take this kind of lashing out to mean brothers morale not so high if this kind of exchange can move the needle.

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1600841239821254656

Futanari Damacy has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Dec 10, 2022

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Clicked on story about a brave Ukrainian pilot who shoots down drones and got a medal. Read a few lines and started scrolling. Suddenly, a b/w picture of a nazi with an Iron Cross around his neck. Oh, huh. Apparently he uses the callsign of a famous Luftwaffe pilot. Ironically, of course. Glowing review of the nazi's impressive combat record. Also the nazi pilot was redeemed, because he spent a long time in Soviet captivity for war crimes before becoming an important man in West Germany's air force. Take that, vatnik propagandists.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Futanari Damacy posted:

Screenshotting and rehosting is more work than I'm willing to do as a non-plat so here it is transcribed:

I'm too shocked to really confront this one head on, it honestly made me sad more than anything. All I could respond with was I didn't think Nic Cage and Jared Leto were believable as ethnic Ukrainians in Lord of War :shrug:

You can cast aspersions for me not turning it into a confrontation but the fact of the matter is if he had the sensitivity to avoid making comments like that he'd be rooting for a different team altogether.

what the gently caress

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i'd just respond with "marines deserve the prison time lmao"

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Send me his number.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Futanari Damacy posted:

Screenshotting and rehosting is more work than I'm willing to do as a non-plat so here it is transcribed:

I'm too shocked to really confront this one head on, it honestly made me sad more than anything. All I could respond with was I didn't think Nic Cage and Jared Leto were believable as ethnic Ukrainians in Lord of War :shrug:

You can cast aspersions for me not turning it into a confrontation but the fact of the matter is if he had the sensitivity to avoid making comments like that he'd be rooting for a different team altogether.

tell him that the wnba is a better prison than any gulag

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Futanari Damacy posted:

wait did he call brittney griner "that thing" and "literally a loving man"? your friend is a piece of poo poo lol

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

AnimeIsTrash posted:

tell him that the wnba is a better prison than any gulag

this is also true

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
From the Boomer rumor mill:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...elf/ar-AA156StY

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Futanari Damacy posted:

I'm sorry, broski.

Always sucks when you turn over a friendly rock and find a massive venomous centipede.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

the best propaganda is basically "heh... president poopin"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/Sturgeons_Law/status/1408846991883448332

I somehow have never heard Cornel West's monologue about Russian literature. I have seen some really braindead takes regarding it.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
ork kultur is self-evidently superior, you heard it here first

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Russian-Ottoman history is fun as well.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

The Russian announcement comes as Britain's foreign minister, Jeremy Hunt, warned Moscow not to try to use Whelan — who is a citizen of Britain, the U.S., Canada and Ireland — for political purposes.
https://www.npr.org/2019/01/05/682513110/as-american-sits-in-moscow-jail-russia-says-u-s-has-detained-one-of-its-citizens

the marine has too many citizenships for me to figure out. idk, why isn't this Ireland's problem.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
1) arms dealers are bad
2) that "retired" marine was definitely a spy and a terrible person even if you just browse his wiki page
3) Brittney Griner is a wife beater

porbably would of been best to let everyone stay where they were but it's not like there's any dearth of arms deals with that guy in jail

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Futanari Damacy posted:

You can cast aspersions for me not turning it into a confrontation but

you're a bitch

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/05/682513110/as-american-sits-in-moscow-jail-russia-says-u-s-has-detained-one-of-its-citizens

the marine has too many citizenships for me to figure out. idk, why isn't this Ireland's problem.

it would be very funny if those were legit citizenships and he had to pay taxes to ireland, the US, and maybe the UK on his spy income

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
I should do a Keith Olbermann-style dressing down, like when he would rant at Bush on his show (who was definitely not watching)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Futanari Damacy posted:

Ick, that sucks, I'm sorry to hear that. Sounds like maybe not the best friend to have. I don't blame you for not turning it into a confrontation, though; sometimes there's really not much you can say. Might be a good excuse for you to see less of him overall, though, even if you don't feel like definitively ending the friendship once and for all. Hopefully he'll work through his poo poo in the meantime.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the fuse on the bomb should be lit, and the bomb should be under a school or hospital

bonus points if something labelled “government debt” makes it in

speng31b
May 8, 2010

indigi posted:

1) arms dealers are bad
2) that "retired" marine was definitely a spy and a terrible person even if you just browse his wiki page

porbably would of been best to let everyone stay where they were but it's not like there's any dearth of arms deals with that guy in jail

lol

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

indigi posted:

Griner's history of domestic abuse doesn't enter into this, though. That's not why she was working hard labor in a Russian camp. It's kind of like how people say, "Well Assange SHOULD be in jail; he's an alleged rapist!" Well, great, charge him with that and put him on trial for it, then. But that's 100% not why he's getting disappeared by the US government.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Jel Shaker posted:

the fuse on the bomb should be lit, and the bomb should be under a school or hospital

bonus points if something labelled “government debt” makes it in

bout was imprisoned for selling weapons to FARC to use against the U.S. military even lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Majorian posted:

Griner's history of domestic abuse doesn't enter into this, though. That's not why she was working hard labor in a Russian camp. It's kind of like how people say, "Well Assange SHOULD be in jail; he's an alleged rapist!" Well, great, charge him with that and put him on trial for it, then. But that's 100% not why he's getting disappeared by the US government.

Did this actually happen

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Majorian posted:

ehh I think it does because all 3 of these people did indeed commit crimes and are in jail for them. none of them had evidence planted. so in terms of just randomly chatting on a deal between 2 countries that no one here has any say in it feels open game to me

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

tbh - the trade itself feels so weird to me that it makes me suspect the cia thinks they turned bout lol

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
griner was a deep cover cia agent with invaluable intel on the womens basketball scene in russia, its a good trade

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Vomik posted:

tbh - the trade itself feels so weird to me that it makes me suspect the cia thinks they turned bout lol

its basically the same as all those taliban guys we traded for bergdahl

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Posted: DEC 8, 2022 / 05:33 PM CST | Updated: DEC 8, 2022 / 05:33 PM CST

(NewsNation) — Viktor Bout was released from a medium-security facility in Marion, Illinois, in a dramatic high-level prisoner exchange for WNBA star Brittney Griner.

Bout had not been scheduled to be released until 2029. Now, the Federal Bureau of Prisons tells NewsNation he is no longer in their custody.

Jeff Bernthal with NewsNation affiliate KTVI gave us a sense of what it’s like at the southern Illinois facility.

“We can tell you this is a medium-security facility,” Bernthal said. “The type of prison where you would find strengthened perimeters, meaning double fencing and electronic detection systems.”

According to Bernthal, the facility was built to essentially replace Alcatraz and was dubbed a Supermax security prison facility.

“There was an uprising here in the 1980s,” Bernthal said. “There were two guards who were murdered here and that led to a 23-year lockdown.”

Since then, according to Bernthal, this has become a medium-security facility that has allowed for a larger number of prisoners to be here at last count from the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/midwest/illinois-prison-that-held-viktor-bout/

I don't know enough about Bout to comment, but no one should be imprisoned in a place that has 23-year lockdowns.

Hopefully this release is a sign that the US is willing to moderate their concentration camp system.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Vomik posted:

ehh I think it does because all 3 of these people did indeed commit crimes and are in jail for them. none of them had evidence planted. so in terms of just randomly chatting on a deal between 2 countries that no one here has any say in it feels open game to me

Right, but the crime that she allegedly went to jail for wasn't domestic abuse, it was carrying vapes with hashish oil into Russia.

Slavvy posted:

Did this actually happen

She was detained in a pretty notoriously awful prison, and had to sew uniforms under what sounds like sweatshop conditions. Admittedly that probably skirts the definition of "hard labor," at least when it comes to Russia's history of it. If she hadn't been in the pipeline to be traded, however, who knows? Maybe she would have ended up out in the Far East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its basically the same as all those taliban guys we traded for bergdahl

yeah definitely lots of "uneven" trades but its just so odd because like at least they were all related to military conflicts. i guess it was just the timing of her arrest more than anything.

Atrocious Joe posted:

https://www.newsnationnow.com/us-news/midwest/illinois-prison-that-held-viktor-bout/

I don't know enough about Bout to comment, but no one should be imprisoned in a place that has 23-year lockdowns.

Hopefully this release is a sign that the US is willing to moderate their concentration camp system.

oh my loving god. just casually mentioning a 23 year lockdown. america is the worst country on the face of this earth bar none