Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm excited they're bringing back the hidden cliff wampa from Shadows of the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I didn't expect wampas to be an interplanetary species.

So looking forward to more of Cal's adventures.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Bugblatter posted:

I didn't expect wampas to be an interplanetary species.

So looking forward to more of Cal's adventures.

It's a Woompa

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

maybe wampas are the star wars equivalent of crabs, and everything evolves into one eventually

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Fallen Order certainly had its flaws but there was a lot to enjoy in it and I'm excited for the sequel! Great trailer

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Wooompa

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Combat with a helpful NPC? Sign me up. That NPC also clearly has a blaster as his main weapon. Cal didn't use one, but had one on his hip all the time. I suspect blaster combat is something they will reveal later to keep the hype going.

Cal did use two lightsabers for a very short time in the trailer. We also had this lightsaber with the crossguard, which I'm personally not a fan of. And there was one clip of the double bladed lightsaber. There is a much higher variety of robot enemies, which I appreciate. Killing the same droids, stormtroopers and animals over and over got a bit stale at the end of the game. So enemies will be more varied than in Fallen Order, and there are likely more fighting styles than in the first game. I'm optimistic about how fun combat will be.

Animal friends are cool, obviously. It doesn't seem like Cal forgot any of his abilities, like Samus routinely loses most of her stuff in the Metroid games, which is good. Of course, being able to run short stretches on walls can be more or less useful depending on the level design, so the devs might make those wall sections much less common to keep the gameplay fresh. We can see something that shoots a rope to basically duplicate Spiderman's web shooting ability in regards to moving around, and Cal also slows his descent with his lightsaber in one part of the vid. And there are probably several obstacles that can only be overcome with the help of animals to ride/fly on. So the "platforming" looks like it will be fresh and fun in Jedi Survivor.

Story wise there was not much to learn. That one armed guy from the tank who's presumably a jedi was the same one as the blonde character wearing gold robes and speaking to those two bounty hunters (I think?) later on? And we saw those senator on Coruscant with Cal's lightsaber. They are presumably not on the same side, and having both a imperial and rogue jedi antagonists would be nice. Cere is apparently doing her thing alone, and we saw no sign of Merrin or Greez. Cal had a more pronounced beard in one part of the vid, implying some kind of time skip perhaps? Or more generally a recognition of time passing during the game? That could mean a more linear game perhaps.

There was also a shameful lack of cool BD-1 actions in the trailer :mad:

Overall, I'm quite hyped already.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Any word on whether the gameplay is still going to be dogshit in the new one

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Why do you keep posting about how much you hate the game here

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

JBP posted:

Any word on whether the gameplay is still going to be dogshit in the new one

If you did not like the gameplay, also known as "the game part", of the first game, perhaps the sequel is not the game for you?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Phosphine posted:

If you did not like the gameplay, also known as "the game part", of the first game, perhaps the sequel is not the game for you?

Sometimes developers improve sequels

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JBP posted:

Sometimes developers improve sequels

Sometimes people just stop posting in a thread.

PlisskensEyePatch
Oct 10, 2012
Cere looks cool, but kinda worried at lack of Greez in the trailer and the condition of the Mantis.

Don't let nothin happen to my favorite four armed yinzer!

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They made Cal way too hot and it’s distracting

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hmm....

And for all y'all Dark Forces fans out there....

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Torrannor posted:

Cal did use two lightsabers for a very short time in the trailer. We also had this lightsaber with the crossguard, which I'm personally not a fan of. And there was one clip of the double bladed lightsaber. There is a much higher variety of robot enemies, which I appreciate. Killing the same droids, stormtroopers and animals over and over got a bit stale at the end of the game. So enemies will be more varied than in Fallen Order, and there are likely more fighting styles than in the first game. I'm optimistic about how fun combat will be.

I liked how the crossguard lightsaber had little handguards below the secondary blades -- if Kylo Ren had sweaty hands or whatever the dude would have lost his fingers. Towards the end of the trailer you see it in action, it looks like it's a heavier, more broadsword-like style to differentiate it from the standard stance.

Also looks like Cal's second lightsaber is a shorter "shoto" style like Ahsoka uses, which is a fun change of pace for a game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Pretty excited about this, I'm just hoping they bring back Merrin.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I kind of rolled my eyes at the lightsaber guards because that always felt like a completely unnecessary nitpick nerd grudge someone managed to add to the JJ-sequels but I guess you might as well throw it in at this point if you're going to add a new combat stance.

Anyways with mounts and gliders definitely looks like the game is going to be open world with linear dungeons rather than the first game which basically amounted to all dungeons but sectioned off by powers/progression. The fact that all the lightsaber styles from Fallen Order are in the trailer makes me think those at least will be there from the start and there will be a different progression rather than repeating what was already done, though sometimes this backfires for me with a prime example being the Arkham games. By the time I was halfway through Arkham City I was feeling pretty overwhelmed at the combat tools, never mind how I felt in Arkham Knight.

Lack of Merrin and Greez in the trailer (especially with Cal piloting the Mantis) is a bit of a red flag because as is usual the Jedi characters are fine but you really need some other types to balance things. I was looking forward to big weird family space adventures in the sequel and I hope I still get that.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I hope the pet bogling is ok :ohdear:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

*heads back into the Mantis and turns on the a/c* Hey, anybody notice that smell?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Where the hell is Merrin?

:ohdear:

Dogen posted:

Where’s my preorder Amidala’s poofy dress outfit?!

Never mind that, where's my preorder Padme fireside corset outfit? You just know Cal could pull it off.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

ninjahedgehog posted:

And for all y'all Dark Forces fans out there....

dark troopers got added to the new canon in the mandalorian. i was hooting and hollering when they got revealed, last thing I expected to see was a dark forces 1 reference

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I was just thinking, I wonder how they're gonna handle force powers and progression with Cal being a competent jedi by the end of the last game. Hopefully they won't take too long tutorialing you back to that point at the start. It also feels like we're pretty full of powers controls-wise now, I wonder if they're gonna do something like a weapons wheel to swap between them on the fly assuming we're getting new ones to play with.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

poo poo I still remember playing DF1 and running into the first, unfinished, dark trooper on the mining planet level. It scared the poo poo out of 7? Year old me

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

dark troopers got added to the new canon in the mandalorian. i was hooting and hollering when they got revealed, last thing I expected to see was a dark forces 1 reference

i was genuinely more excited by them than luke

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Captain Hygiene posted:

I was just thinking, I wonder how they're gonna handle force powers and progression with Cal being a competent jedi by the end of the last game. Hopefully they won't take too long tutorialing you back to that point at the start. It also feels like we're pretty full of powers controls-wise now, I wonder if they're gonna do something like a weapons wheel to swap between them on the fly assuming we're getting new ones to play with.

Trailer showed off a lot of new moves with powers and the saber, I can see them leaving the core force powers and saber skills intact from the start (possible unlocking them over the course of the first level) and having skill getting used for stuff like the dual saber combat and animal calming powers.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I kinda hope they ditch the soulsborn level design and make it a little more linear or at the very least redo the enemy spawns so its not just the same loving wamp rats eating the same corpses over and over. other then that looks great,

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Trailer showed off a lot of new moves with powers and the saber, I can see them leaving the core force powers and saber skills intact from the start (possible unlocking them over the course of the first level) and having skill getting used for stuff like the dual saber combat and animal calming powers.

Oh yeah...that reminded me, I'd had it up in the background yesterday evening but never got around to directly watching the trailer. There's some cool stuff in there, hopefully they'll get you back up to speed really fast and move forward from there.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I kinda hope they ditch the soulsborn level design and make it a little more linear or at the very least redo the enemy spawns so its not just the same loving wamp rats eating the same corpses over and over. other then that looks great,

I just want them to commit to a consistent level design. Sections like the back half of Kashyyyk shouldn't be in a game with optional backtracking.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
While I liked the rebreather, I don't remember enjoying those swimming sections (or the ones on Zeffo, for that matter)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The level design itself was fine, they just needed to have 2-3 landing points per planet Prime 3 style.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

After reinstalling Fallen Order the other day I was baffled that I apparently only had 8 hours of gameplay (according to Steam), despite having beaten the game. Something must be wrong there, because I spent 2 hours just getting through the intro and part of the first area.

Captain Hygiene posted:

In a training accident, Cal mistakenly pierced his own brain with his lightsaber, excising all his combat memories.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Perhaps certain moves and forces powers are tied to distinct combat stances? If you have one handed lightsaber stance, dual lightsaber stance, two-bladed lightsaber stance and lightsaber + pistol stance, that 4 stances you can distribute moves and powers to. Like you can only to the thing where you slow down your slide down by ramming the lightsaber into the wall in the one handed lightsaber and the lightsaber + pistol stance, and you likewise can't do mounted combat with the dual lightsaber and two-bladed lightsaber stance perhaps?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I just want them to commit to a consistent level design. Sections like the back half of Kashyyyk shouldn't be in a game with optional backtracking.

This too. If you’re gonna make it a metroidvania, then make it like arkham and change up the map and enemy placement.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

The level design itself was fine, they just needed to have 2-3 landing points per planet Prime 3 style.

Agreed, Zeffo being the worst culprit of this. You should have been able to at least move the ship to that landing pad gantry hanging out over the chasm.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Torrannor posted:

Perhaps certain moves and forces powers are tied to distinct combat stances? If you have one handed lightsaber stance, dual lightsaber stance, two-bladed lightsaber stance and lightsaber + pistol stance, that 4 stances you can distribute moves and powers to. Like you can only to the thing where you slow down your slide down by ramming the lightsaber into the wall in the one handed lightsaber and the lightsaber + pistol stance, and you likewise can't do mounted combat with the dual lightsaber and two-bladed lightsaber stance perhaps?

Stances is one thing I had in mind after playing a lot of Ghost of Tsushima the last couple years. I think it'd work well with multiple saber options, I hadn't thought about the blaster fitting in there but that could work out pretty well.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Something I hope they fix in the sequel is how rocket troopers who are out of range of force powers will still deplete your force and leave you pretty much defenseless after a couple shots. If you are at close to middle range, either grabbing and pushing or just a quick push at the right time will send the rocket straight back at the rocket trooper, but at long range it just flies off at about a 20 degree angle of where you are pointed and is pretty hard to aim accurately to stop them from shooting again. Happens in a couple spots in the main game and can be pretty frustrating because there is a lot of distance to cover to get to them and a bunch of annoying melee enemies in the way that usually cause you to end up eating several rockets (though if it is some consolation, the rockets usually also kill the melee enemies too). Could be solved by just not placing rocket troopers like that in the level design, or just making the force push rocket auto return aimbot work at any range.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Indiana_Krom posted:

Something I hope they fix in the sequel is how rocket troopers who are out of range of force powers will still deplete your force and leave you pretty much defenseless after a couple shots. If you are at close to middle range, either grabbing and pushing or just a quick push at the right time will send the rocket straight back at the rocket trooper, but at long range it just flies off at about a 20 degree angle of where you are pointed and is pretty hard to aim accurately to stop them from shooting again. Happens in a couple spots in the main game and can be pretty frustrating because there is a lot of distance to cover to get to them and a bunch of annoying melee enemies in the way that usually cause you to end up eating several rockets (though if it is some consolation, the rockets usually also kill the melee enemies too). Could be solved by just not placing rocket troopers like that in the level design, or just making the force push rocket auto return aimbot work at any range.

I mean in general at baseline Cal needs more Force Energy compared to 1, or they go a Witcher 2/3 style with it and you can dump experience into styles or force powers and customize your playstyle. That could be really cool and add a lot of replayability.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/Okami13_/status/1605235796566372354

https://www.gameinformer.com/preview/2022/12/20/new-details-set-the-stage

Gimme those stances :f5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wow, a nice glimpse into the game.

This is very cool, and quite in line with what I wrote before. So I think the stances are dual wielding two lightsabers, dual wielding a lightsaber and a blaster, the double bladed lightsaber, the standard one-handed lightsaber, and the heavy/"two-handed" lightsaber with the crossguard.