Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I detest this repulsive little freak.

I think "repulsive little freak" is its whole deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Chansey going from green to brightly pink for Blissey is an absolute travesty. I’m glad my game crashed after I evolved mine.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

FoolyCharged posted:

Trainers only having 1 dude and being blips is something a lot of people complain about in this game, not the past ones. Rock tunnel averaged about had about 2-3 dudes per trainer in red and blue for instance. Mount moon is the same way. They mostly weren't individual threats, but they did attrition you. These are kids games, so the consequence of letting yourself to get worn down is a walk of shame to a poke center rather than actual defeat 9 times out of 10, buy the point is that it's something to overcome, not the difficulty.

If there was anything to moving around the map in SV that would also work but the map is a featureless series of cliffs that you very quickly gain the ability to just jump up. There's no figuring out how to get somewhere, you just go there without having to navigate the terrain at all.

I agree the trainers should have more Pokemon to at least present the illusion of a fight in this one. I just played Sword this summer and it was the same way, except I had to fight each of them as soon as I saw them when I just wanted to be catching pokémon instead.

I'm not comparing these to games I played 25 years ago when I was 12 but I'll take your word for it.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

FoolyCharged posted:

You say that like it was a bad thing. SV had all of two dungeons that I found(tunnels to ice mountain south of it, tunnels to psychic gym) and I only found those after the game and when I was dicking around without my mount respectively. And those two dungeons lacked any punch at all because you could just walk through them picking up items.

Your movement in this game is so powerful and the obstacles are so weak (you can literally ignore trainers and avoid random encounters) that it becomes a featureless path between a and b regardless of whatever zig zagging you do along the way picking up items. Those "hallways" full of dudes to overcome were 100x more involved than these giant open spaces that you can move freely around in without any real opposition. Maybe if I couldn't zip over literally anything and there was a challenge in moving from a to b the open world would have worked for me, but here it wad just a detriment.

Yeah, once you get all of your ride-buddy's upgrades, the world is essentially a featureless plain from a gameplay perspective, it's all just aesthetics. Which is... well, what I've resigned myself to expecting. They are never going to make a game that's not designed to be beatable by an 8 year old, and clearly view the older games as too hard.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Reminder that in a couple of hours, Kalos vs Galar will happen to decide which gen is objectively better than the other.
https://www.google.com/search?q=wor...30q7;dt;fp;1;;;

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Golduck was a missed opportunity to have the colours reversed with evolution, so blue psyduck becomes a gold golduck, a gold golduck would have been so nice

Agreed. I caught a shiny Psyduck in Legends and put her on the team. Shiny Golduck is underwhelming comparatively. It should be gold!

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Flopsy posted:

Not gonna lie it's probably the strongest ending the series has ever had.

That spinoff mystery dungeon with crying can't be beat

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Had a shiny rellor kill itself with recoil last night :(

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
it sucks how empty kanto feels in Crystal. I don’t care about the Silph Co building or stuff like that but no safari zone hurts. It stinks that I lost a big chunk of my team but one bright spot is that the reserves I had in storage were just about the right level to use through the various kanto routes. Hegemini the Dodrio and Glimmer the dragonair are both leveling up at a decent clip. So far I haven’t bothered trying to do any of the gyms because I only have a couple viable Pokémon currently. Planning to hit every route in kanto before I start doing the gyms.

Currently rolling Pinsir/Suicune/Victreebel/Dodrio/Dragonair. I would really like a psychic, ground, or fire option. Maybe a marowak or something? Not sure where I would need to go to get a fire type this late in the game. a houndour would be cool but I haven’t found one yet.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Do traded Pokémon disobey you if their level is too high or is that just wild ones?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Going open world is one of the worst decisions gamefreak/tpc has ever made. PLA had the saving grace of a more polished and engaging gameplay loop that made up for it, mostly, but the mainline games don't have that. Gamefreak, a company that explicitly prefers small teams (~200 people), simply does NOT have the manpower to make a fleshed out open world game under the strict merch deadlines imposed on them. "Open World" means precisely jack poo poo if it's nothing but wide featureless spaces and ghost towns.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Do traded Pokémon disobey you if their level is too high or is that just wild ones?

If you catch them higher than your badge level they will disobey, if you raise them past the badge level they will listen. I'm glad they made that distinction, allowing you to put in the effort and go do harder gyms if you want to.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Syenite posted:

Going open world is one of the worst decisions gamefreak/tpc has ever made. PLA had the saving grace of a more polished and engaging gameplay loop that made up for it, mostly, but the mainline games don't have that. Gamefreak, a company that explicitly prefers small teams (~200 people), simply does NOT have the manpower to make a fleshed out open world game under the strict merch deadlines imposed on them. "Open World" means precisely jack poo poo if it's nothing but wide featureless spaces and ghost towns.

Guess I wouldn't know the difference because I don't play a lot of open world games. But from what I have played I think it's perfectly fine.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

no broccoli please posted:

If you catch them higher than your badge level they will disobey, if you raise them past the badge level they will listen. I'm glad they made that distinction, allowing you to put in the effort and go do harder gyms if you want to.

What about if someone gives me a higher level traded Pokémon though? I’m only asking because I’m trying to beat the titan that unlocks gliding as soon as possible and it isn’t going well.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

no broccoli please posted:

But making pokemon you caught personally unusable because you didn't want to do things in the order they wanted you to is the opposite of that?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Framboise posted:

Reaching new cities in SV isn't even fun-- there's very little to interact with and each city has a bunch of buildings you can't go into, with the same food and clothing shops that have maybe only a couple differences from the others.
I understand this isn't a critical part of your point, but the bolded part it's totally wrong. They're the same clothing chains, but they have completely different inventory. I don't think there's any clothing duplicates in the whole world. At least none that I noticed. Maybe some very basic things I skipped over.

I was very fortunate to be exploring the world with a friend. Reaching each new city was incredibly exciting. We'd run around gawking at all the sites, pointing out what was cool and what was dumb, all on a quest to find the clothing shops to find cute new bags and hats. The clothing stores were a big part of the draw of each new town.

As far as exploring the open world, the exciting parts we liked to communicate with each other were mainly what new pokemon we saw, and where there were TMs hidden. TMs are a funny thing. 99% of them were effectively useless, but for some reason it was always exciting to find another yellow ball. Even if it was a duplicate it felt like you were more free to just throw that move on a pokemon without worrying about crafting another. Since you can relearn moves and TMs it felt like you could do that as much as you wanted. Of course in fact it ended up not having a whole ton of utility, but the point is it felt good, and that meant exploring felt good.

That's just my experience though, and it was very heavily influenced by the company I had while I explored. The game is definitely set up so that you can just go straight from point A to point B and have the game be a series of gym trials and nothing else. It's all what you make of it. If different pokemon and TMs and atmospheric vistas don't do it for you... well, that's all there is in the open world.

Personally that was more than enough and it ended up being the best Pokemon experience I've ever had.

FoolyCharged posted:

But making pokemon you caught personally unusable because you didn't want to do things in the order they wanted you to is the opposite of that?
They're usable after you beat the gym near where you caught them, unless you skipped a bunch of gyms.

It's a sensible system so you don't just go to the highest level area first thing, catch a level 50 pokemon, and just destroy everything in the game with it. If you want to destroy everything in the game with a level 50 pokemon you gotta work a bit first. I think that's fair.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 10, 2022

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Exploration and atmospheric vistas would probably work better if the textures, game performance, and movement weren't all absolutely scuffed.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

What about if someone gives me a higher level traded Pokémon though? I’m only asking because I’m trying to beat the titan that unlocks gliding as soon as possible and it isn’t going well.

That's a good question actually, the only trading I've done so far is with a friend who's just started, while I've finished the story, so that hasn't come up for me.

FoolyCharged posted:

Ehh, I like to think of it as fitting with the whole deal of forming bonds with your Pokémon and they'll help you out, but if you go grab some random one without the relevant experience then it won't.
I think it's probably the best way they could have handled the open world concept without level scaling.
If something is too high level you CAN take it on, you just have to work for it. Otherwise go explore and find something easier.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Quick question, which Tera would you guys say is better for Azumarrill in raids? Fairy or Water?

UnassignedCarbon
Sep 28, 2018

I have played through every plotline except the legendaries and I have still not seen a single shiny. It doesn't help that I have to wear glasses to see half the tiny poo poo. But I thought I'd get at least one by having the "let's go mode" ignore the shiny? Apparently not. I'm super bummed. In my profile, it only says 1 shiny fought and that's because my friend traded me one.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Anybody managed to get their hands on a love ball yet? And if so how because this even harder than finding your average rare ball. Not entirely sure how to even start here tbh.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Quick question, which Tera would you guys say is better for Azumarrill in raids? Fairy or Water?

I would stick with fairy for now as the charizard raid is coming back soon

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Wtf?!

Area Zero rules and it's easily the best part of the game. Why did they lock the best thing in SV behind 40+ hours of content?!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Haifisch posted:

One style of game isn't better than the other by default,

Tell that to a bunch of people that think open world is like the ultimate genre, cause hoo boy there's a lot of those folks and it's pretty annoying.

That being said I'm enjoying my time with Scarlet, though yeah the world is a bit too empty at times.

Framboise posted:

Emptiness may make the world look big and full of adventure, but it doesn't really make for engaging gameplay.

Not entirely true. You do want some emptiness here and there to make the world feel bigger if you're having a big explorable world. Of course there's such a thing as going too far with it.

Though overstuffing a world can hurt a game as well and make it feel too small or cluttered. Seen quite a few cases of that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 10, 2022

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kirios posted:

Wtf?!

Area Zero rules and it's easily the best part of the game. Why did they lock the best thing in SV behind 40+ hours of content?!

Considering it's full of spoilers? Probably to try and keep the big twist unrevealed until later.

Notty
Jun 4, 2010
I actually think how they handled trainer battles was perfect.

In previous games, they were the primary source of feeding the player XP which is why while some trainers were optional, others would be put directly in your path.

But the open world made that impossible, so instead they made it so that each area gave you a valuable item or TM for battling enough trainers in that area, encouraging the player to search and look for trainers to fight instead.

Instead of making them a mandatory chore to progress, they’re now an optional objective with a nice reward. It was one of the smoother transitions of the Pokémon ‘formula’, imo.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

robot roll call posted:

it's cool that almost everyone is organically encountering 1 or 2 shiny pokemon during their playthrough, that seems pretty ideal to me. I still haven't seen one that I am aware of but I did forget that Toxtricity has 2 forms and got really excited when one with a blue mane walked past while I was having a battle

I did the same thing and was very sad lol

At least I have both formes now. I need one spring forme starbuck and one winter forme Deerling and that’ll complete that :toot:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Traded ones will ignore you, yes. This apparently included the Scyther I traded to my friend to evolve it, once he sent it back to me and it evolved into Scizor it started disobeying me, even though I was it's original trainer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

all of them will ignore you

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Kirios posted:

Wtf?!

Why did they stick the climax at the end of a story? Who are these nice young nurses trying to shuffle me back into my home? What's this ice pick in my nose for?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
There's Pokemon at the peak of the crater, so they know I'm going to go up there and try and jump down. Just teleporting me back to the top when I do is dumb.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

There's Pokemon at the peak of the crater, so they know I'm going to go up there and try and jump down. Just teleporting me back to the top when I do is dumb.

That's the crater itself rejecting you until you git gud.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Flopsy posted:

Anybody managed to get their hands on a love ball yet? And if so how because this even harder than finding your average rare ball. Not entirely sure how to even start here tbh.

Most of the super rare balls are rewards for dex completion now. If you haven't been checking your dex, go into it and hit X (displayed at the bottom next to a pic of a trophy). There are goodies there.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You get a single love ball from dex completion (I don't remember at what threshhold).
They are also rarely on sale at the auction. The auctions start at 100,000 for a single one.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

oddium posted:

the open world was mid

I think a similar assessment whenever I find myself climbing a tower ladder and listening to the calm overworld music: I am reminded of BotW, but it's not as full.

Most important in the comparison: the enchantment and awe I felt from the discovery of the humongous legendary dragons while exploring the open world of BotW is never matched in Scar/Violet's overworld.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Sadly Love Ball is the only one not given for Dex completion.

So enjoy grinding the auction house, or ace tournament.

Edit:

Flopsy posted:

But for a real answer on grinding the auction house: Save in front of the auctions, turn off autosave in pokemon, and then turn off synchronize clock via internet on your switch and advance the date by a day. Then you just load that save repeatedly and you'll have different auctions every time. Enjoy your 6+ hours of pain to maybe find one.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 10, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
So you can buy love, but it's very expensive.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

it's fine, anyone who REALLY loves their pokemon puts it in a luxury ball.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

ok so we all know where pokemon eggs come from. but where does the newly-hatched pokemon's pokeball come from? why does a friend ball cost me 350,000 at the auction house, but my pokemon can craft them by the dozen while we picnic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Unhappy Meal posted:

Sadly Love Ball is the only one not given for Dex completion.

So enjoy grinding the auction house, or ace tournament.

Edit:

But for a real answer on grinding the auction house: Save in front of the auctions, turn off autosave in pokemon, and then turn off synchronize clock via internet on your switch and advance the date by a day. Then you just load that save repeatedly and you'll have different auctions every time. Enjoy your 6+ hours of pain to maybe find one.

Euggh...don't suppose there's some stats for how often the ace tournament gives em' out?

edit: I just checked serebii and it doesn't look like rare balls are available there either. Jesus gently caress gamefreak this is just absurd....

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 10, 2022