Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm really surprised at all the Amazon shipping issues people have run into. I've ordered probably 20+ albums from there over the years, and each has come in the typical cardboard record mailer that everyone else uses. Never had a problem with a warped record. Maybe some distribution centers are better than others, or I've just been really lucky.

Same. I just looked and I've ordered 32 records from Amazon and have had absolutely zero issues in the Chicago area.

e: all of mine have also come in the cardboard mailers, no plastic bags as mentioned below. Odd.

The only issue I did have is they sent me A Charlie Brown Christmas by The Vince Guaraldi Trio instead of the record I ordered on accident but how can you be mad at that. I didn't even complain.

angrygodofjebus fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Dec 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

Enos Cabell posted:

I'm really surprised at all the Amazon shipping issues people have run into. I've ordered probably 20+ albums from there over the years, and each has come in the typical cardboard record mailer that everyone else uses. Never had a problem with a warped record. Maybe some distribution centers are better than others, or I've just been really lucky.

The last couple have been ok, but my first two came in plastic bags

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

Enos Cabell posted:

All of them have been packaged fine but I suspect that some of the stuff I buy at a steep discount has been sitting in some hot warehouse for a while not to mention the few days it sits in mail trucks.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

angrygodofjebus posted:

The only issue I did have is they sent me A Charlie Brown Christmas by The Vince Guaraldi Trio instead of the record I ordered on accident but how can you be mad at that. I didn't even complain.

This is one of the first records I picked up and I love it very much, I got a used copy of discogs though. It looks like I bought it new but can't find a corresponding order with Amazon, guess I got it somewhere else.

I've also never had problems with Amazon mailers in the Montreal area, although I haven't bought anything from them in a while. I'm hoping to keep it that way.

sporklift posted:

All of them have been packaged fine but I suspect that some of the stuff I buy at a steep discount has been sitting in some hot warehouse for a while not to mention the few days it sits in mail trucks.

I also worry about this.

edited to add I saw Jerry Granelli, the drummer from the Vince Guaraldi trio, when he was doing his Christmas tour in 2019? I also just learned that he passed away in 2021 at 80, which is sad. It was a wonderful show, backed with a choir and he was clearly having a great time. Here's a report by CBC on it,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S834U1GTAsE

digitalist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 8, 2022

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

drhankmccoyphd posted:

That's totally reasonable. Yeah, I'm totally fine flushing $250-300 down the toilet if I'm not totally blown away by the quality. And I'll have some dumb nerd poo poo to talk about at all the parties I don't attend.

I like to warn people upfront that records have never been more expensive than they are now and all around this is a very expensive hobby. I would also strongly recommend that before you buy a cartridge look up how much the replacement stylus costs.

They are records not vinyls.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

petit choux posted:

Well don't leave me hangin', tell me about your cleaning method

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/squeakycleanvinyl-mk-iii

Use distilled water on 1st pass, Vinyl Zyme on 2nd pass, distilled water again on 3rd.

Flip record over and do it again.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I used the Squeaky Clean for years. Loved that thing. Didnt and dont regret that purchase one bit, but I also now love my Humminguru.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Nightmare Cinema posted:

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/squeakycleanvinyl-mk-iii

Use distilled water on 1st pass, Vinyl Zyme on 2nd pass, distilled water again on 3rd.

Flip record over and do it again.

tyvm

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

For content, here. I have no idea what this is but the cover is promising.

And somebody donated their slightly water-damaged collection and I got a couple of the less bad ones.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
My mom-in-law and I have fairly different taste in music, but she got me into Linda Ronstadt and I will always appreciate her for that. :kiddo:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning posted:

My mom-in-law and I have fairly different taste in music, but she got me into Linda Ronstadt and I will always appreciate her for that. :kiddo:

I've got most of her albums. I used to be kinda buddies with a guy that played steel guitar with her, or so he said.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

For content, here. I have no idea what this is but the cover is promising.

That album looks wild. I just looked it up and apparently the guy from this band was the guy from The United States of America whose lone album is really good if you're into garage psych.

edit: I just listened to some of this album on youtube is holy fuckballs it rules. Looks like you stumbled upon a gem. I'm glad you posted about it because I'm definitely going to get a copy. They're pretty cheap too.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 9, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

That album looks wild. I just looked it up and apparently the guy from this band was the guy from The United States of America whose lone album is really good if you're into garage psych.

Sweet! Never heard of them!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

Sweet! Never heard of them!

Note my edit there if you missed it.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE

dorium posted:

I used the Squeaky Clean for years. Loved that thing. Didnt and dont regret that purchase one bit, but I also now love my Humminguru.

I don’t have either yet, but I was planning on using a two pass system with the Squeaky Clean first and the Humminguru second on my dirtier vinyls. Is the Humminguru good enough to completely replace the Squeaky Clean even for grungy records?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

u_s_eh posted:

I don’t have either yet, but I was planning on using a two pass system with the Squeaky Clean first and the Humminguru second on my dirtier vinyls. Is the Humminguru good enough to completely replace the Squeaky Clean even for grungy records?

I havent encountered a truly dirty record in awhile. Some records I've bought with advertised sound defects have come out perfectly fine with a couple Humminguru trips, but I could see myself busting out the Squeaky Clean for something truly egregious. Just to see what sort of condition I could bring it back to.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I saw America's Favorite Hesher Cousin Sebastian Bach emphatically recommending wood glue to clean records, is this a man I can trust? tia

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

It works but it's a huge mess and you use a whole $$ bottle per record.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Techmoan checks out a device to make your records sound better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOeK4hdn_bQ

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Happy Hippo posted:

I saw America's Favorite Hesher Cousin Sebastian Bach emphatically recommending wood glue to clean records, is this a man I can trust? tia

I used to use a wood glue alternative called Record Revirginizer a long time ago and that crap did jack poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Pretty much anything that doesn't use a liquid and/or a vacuum is snake oil bullshit. I've heard from people that the wood glue method works but never first hand. I personally wouldn't try it because it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end and more importantly there's a high potential for it to leave behind residue that ends up on the stylus. There are plenty of easier ways to effectively clean a record.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Techmoan checks out a device to make your records sound better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOeK4hdn_bQ

On a related note I saw one he did recently about some record cleaning kit that was basically some kind of goo that works like the wood glue method. It turned out to be total crap.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Got the Ikea Obegränsad set up, and I'm almost out of space already. At least records aren't spread throughout the entire house for now.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

That's a beautiful set up.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Thanks! I really need to stop being so drat lazy and get new baseboard trim installed, but otherwise we're pretty happy with the setup. Kinda bummed though, haven't had that tape deck hooked up for probably 20+ years and it's not working. Need to open it up and poke about a bit, it makes a lot of clicking noises but doesn't spin the tape when you hit play.

e: My mother-in-law has a 70s Marantz tape deck that matches my stereo, but it's not working either. I should really go grab that one and get it fixed.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Dec 10, 2022

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

CPL593H posted:

Pretty much anything that doesn't use a liquid and/or a vacuum is snake oil bullshit. I've heard from people that the wood glue method works but never first hand. I personally wouldn't try it because it sounds like a huge pain in the rear end and more importantly there's a high potential for it to leave behind residue that ends up on the stylus. There are plenty of easier ways to effectively clean a record.

On a related note I saw one he did recently about some record cleaning kit that was basically some kind of goo that works like the wood glue method. It turned out to be total crap.

I can't remember that one! Do you have it?

Enos Cabell posted:

Thanks! I really need to stop being so drat lazy and get new baseboard trim installed, but otherwise we're pretty happy with the setup. Kinda bummed though, haven't had that tape deck hooked up for probably 20+ years and it's not working. Need to open it up and poke about a bit, it makes a lot of clicking noises but doesn't spin the tape when you hit play.

e: My mother-in-law has a 70s Marantz tape deck that matches my stereo, but it's not working either. I should really go grab that one and get it fixed.

Channeling my Techmoan, it could just be some belts what need replacing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My friend would use the glue method on his time code vinyl that would get a poo poo ton of use compared to a regular record and it definitely works. But yes time consuming and a pain.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Give me your Rob Cow box.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

caligulamprey posted:

Give me your Rob Crow box.

That and Girth right next to each other is chef's kiss

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Ltd Rough Trade grey splatter clear pressing. Great sound! Clear, punchy dynamics.

EXCEPT FOR HALF OF SIDE 3 WHAT THE gently caress. I'll give it a pass on the squeaky clean but it sounds defective.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The wife has approved the use of my new dumpstered stereo cabinet, so psyched.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pwn posted:

That and Girth right next to each other is chef's kiss

Two masters of their craft, just hanging out together for eternity.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

Ltd Rough Trade grey splatter clear pressing. Great sound! Clear, punchy dynamics.

EXCEPT FOR HALF OF SIDE 3 WHAT THE gently caress. I'll give it a pass on the squeaky clean but it sounds defective.

Are those Bose designed to be vertical or can you just flip flop them and turn the badge?

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society
Greetings all, Got a strange-ish question.

I have a super basic Audio-Technica AT-LP60BK as my turntable which has served me well in the four years I've had it.
That said in the last I've noticed on two albums I've played on it (Jawbox - S/T reissue and Their/They're/There - Three) that the tracking/playback is slightly faster than the digital/CD playback of the same titles.

Is this something to do with my turntable? Or something in the vinyl creation process itself?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

Greetings all, Got a strange-ish question.

I have a super basic Audio-Technica AT-LP60BK as my turntable which has served me well in the four years I've had it.
That said in the last I've noticed on two albums I've played on it (Jawbox - S/T reissue and Their/They're/There - Three) that the tracking/playback is slightly faster than the digital/CD playback of the same titles.

Is this something to do with my turntable? Or something in the vinyl creation process itself?

It’s probably the turntable. Your belt might be stretched out, or a speed adjustment is off. Is there a way to tune the speed?

Wait, is it just those two albums and everything else sounds normal?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Does the turntable not have one of those speed lamp thingies?

Do those have a name?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

They're called speed lamp thingies round my way :D

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

CPL593H posted:

edit: I just listened to some of this album on youtube is holy fuckballs it rules. Looks like you stumbled upon a gem. I'm glad you posted about it because I'm definitely going to get a copy. They're pretty cheap too.

United States of America is a stone cold classic, and yeah Joe Byrd did a bunch of other stuff that's mostly of interest to avant-garde/experimental music folks but it's real cool

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Enos Cabell posted:

Two masters of their craft, just hanging out together for eternity.
I only have the couple of LPs they released outside of the box. I do take a lot of joy having the Anal Trump EP right up against Laurie Anderson's Big Science.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

BigFactory posted:

Are those Bose designed to be vertical or can you just flip flop them and turn the badge?

The 601's are vertical (you're probably thinking of the 301's)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Nightmare Cinema posted:

The 601's are vertical (you're probably thinking of the 301's)

How do you like them?