Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Right so it's just speculation then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

Hopefully this release is a sign that the US is willing to moderate their concentration camp system.

i have my doubts

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Majorian posted:

Right, but the crime that she allegedly went to jail for wasn't domestic abuse, it was carrying vapes with hashish oil into Russia.

She was detained in a pretty notoriously awful prison, and had to sew uniforms under what sounds like sweatshop conditions. Admittedly that probably skirts the definition of "hard labor," at least when it comes to Russia's history of it. If she hadn't been in the pipeline to be traded, however, who knows? Maybe she would have ended up out in the Far East.

what i mean is: an american can't just say "oh it was weed vs arms dealing" because in america many people are in prison for life sentences for weed. so now that the american and russian legal systems have both established that all 3 people are equal in villainy we're forced to approach this trade from an alternative lens and shift the rhetorical focus

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

She better thank Putin, rescued her career!!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

because in america many people are in prison for life sentences for weed.

Wait, how many? Sounds bad if true. Are these all part of those incredibly loving dumb "three strikes" or "habitual offender" sentencing guidelines?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

Vomik posted:

what i mean is: an american can't just say "oh it was weed vs arms dealing" because in america many people are in prison for life sentences for weed. so now that the american and russian legal systems have both established that all 3 people are equal in villainy we're forced to approach this trade from an alternative lens and shift the rhetorical focus

I agree, and I'm not speaking to the evenness/unevenness of this trade. I'm just pointing out that Griner's history of domestic abuse doesn't enter into the case.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Wait, how many? Sounds bad if true. Are these all part of those incredibly loving dumb "three strikes" or "habitual offender" sentencing guidelines?

i'd guess most of them are three strikes laws. there was the one just recently in mississippi where for a third strike a guy was given life in prison and the sentence affirmed by the state supreme court for having as much weed as the daily purchase limit in half the states in the US lol

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gotta get those slaves under control

Russia does slave labour like dabbling amateurs compared to the US

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

i'd guess most of them are three strikes laws. there was the one just recently in mississippi where for a third strike a guy was given life in prison and the sentence affirmed by the state supreme court for having as much weed as the daily purchase limit in half the states in the US lol

Yeah that is terrible. Makes more sense rather than someone getting life exclusively for weed possession, even though all those “habitual offender” laws are basically bullshit.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Majorian posted:

I agree, and I'm not speaking to the evenness/unevenness of this trade. I'm just pointing out that Griner's history of domestic abuse doesn't enter into the case.

well technically in american jurisprudence a person's character and behaviors can be used in sentencing, pardoning, and parole decisions.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

well technically in american jurisprudence a person's character and behaviors can be used in sentencing, pardoning, and parole decisions.

Do you think this is why she was sentenced as she was in Russia? If so, why?

E: huh, she pled to misdemeanor disorderly conduct in 2015 and attended counseling. Seems weird to think that means a weed charge should land someone in years of labor.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 20:37 on Dec 10, 2022

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

no.

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

I feel like mlp is clumsily probing around some issue that is obvious to him, but I'm not getting

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation

Vomik posted:

I understand, but as you acknowledge, that's not what the Russians charged her with, nor does it seem to have impacted her sentencing or release. That's why I'm saying it doesn't really enter into the conversation.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

E: huh, she pled to misdemeanor disorderly conduct in 2015 and attended counseling. Seems weird to think that means a weed charge should land someone in years of labor.

the conversation you're joining has nothing to do with her sentencing but with her being exchanged. i don't even remember who but someone pointed out that she has a history of domestic abuse and majorian said well that has nothing to do with her sentencing, which is true. I was (mostly jokingly) just pointing out that when discussion of freeing a prisoner comes up its acceptable by us standards to use prior behavior as a reason to release someone or not.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I think Griner’s sentence was unfair and politically motivated. I don’t find the arguments that she should rot for weed compelling.

Bout is a bad dude, sure, but I can see why the US made the trade. A bunch of old dudes in the states might be mad that a pot user got out of jail, but oh well.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Vomik posted:

I was (mostly jokingly) just pointing out that when discussion of freeing a prisoner comes up its acceptable by us standards to use prior behavior as a reason to release someone or not.

mlmp is incapable of understanding this kind of post without being explicitly told

e: actually i guess even saying it explicitly doesn't help

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Zelensky is my favorite Marvel superhero

Here's my idea for his powers -

Zelensky can turn objects yellow and blue when he touches them. If the yellow and blue objects touch each other, they both turn into sunflowers.

I'm writing a fanfic where Zelensky defeats Thanos. It goes like this: Zelensky encounters Thanos, who smugly says "your powers are useless, because you cannot possibly touch me, puny Ukrainian." Zelensky simply smirks and snaps (a bit of irony here lol), turning him into a pile of sunflowers. Because the gauntlet is yellow and Thanos is blue (I'm colorblind so basically true). Thanos didn't realize that he had already lost the moment Zelensky arrived.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

drat thats interesting

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

I feel like mlp is clumsily probing around some issue that is obvious to him, but I'm not getting

He's clumsily probing around for something to have an incredibly tedious and disingenuous debate about for several pages

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vomik posted:

. I was (mostly jokingly) just pointing out that when discussion of freeing a prisoner comes up its acceptable by us standards to use prior behavior as a reason to release someone or not.

I do not think that applies in such a political prisoner exchange.

If you actually wanted a “fair” trade of how good or bad someone is, Bout is worse, but oh well, you make the deal you can make.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

He's clumsily probing around for something to have an incredibly tedious and disingenuous debate about for several pages

I might just be poisoned by how many dumbass old dudes in the states have lately had hot takes about locking up Griner for pot. Conservatives seem very upset about her freedom.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!
all weed smokers should be locked up

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Lol literally a double post to keep the tedium on a roll

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 18 minutes!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Lol literally a double post to keep the tedium on a roll

Sorry for the double post.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1601651754826813441?s=20&t=7XJHQeykCpMliOfmSM5vnQ

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Probation

Nice try, Vik, but I've been assured by eminent leftist Chris Hedges that "War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning," and no, I will not read any of it past the title, what more could I glean from it past that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Look imagine if half your catalogue suppliers went to war with your other half and they both expect you to do an exclusive contract when all you want to do is offer your customers in developing nations the widest range of solutions tailored to their needs

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Officials in Washington began to see Bout as the quintessential figure of transnational crime. He was distinguished not by cruelty or ruthlessness but by cunning amorality. “If he wasn’t doing arms and all the vile stuff, he would be a drat good businessman,” Andreas Morgner, a sanctions expert at the Treasury Department, said.

Bout’s trade gave him an outsized role in matters of war and peace. He neither shied from the pressure nor took sides. He flew Belgian peacekeepers into Somalia, and after the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, he says, he brought French troops into eastern Congo. Not long after, with the help of Mirchev and others, he was transporting arms from Russia, Bulgaria, and Iran into conflict zones.

In the fall of 1998, four years after the Rwandan genocide, Bout began transporting arms to Rwanda. Mirchev contracted with the Rwandan government to supply arms, and Bout ferried them from Burgas to Kigali. (Employees passing through Kigali stayed at the InterContinental hotel, where Bout had rented all the rooms on the top two floors.) But not all the arms stayed in Rwanda. The country’s Tutsi-led government was backing Tutsi militias next door, in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of Congo, against Congo’s President, Laurent Kabila. Some of the weapons were being diverted, aboard Bout’s airplanes, into the hands of rebels in Congo. At the time, Congo was not under sanctions; nevertheless, Bout and Mirchev contributed to a conflict that ultimately entangled eight African nations.

James Roberts, a pilot who worked for Bout, has said that he witnessed ammunition boxes, Russian rocket-propelled-grenade launchers, and Japanese pickup trucks with mounted machine guns being “driven up onto the ramp” of an Ilyushin-76, along with Rwandan soldiers marching “three abreast, double-time.” Bout, he said, sometimes stood on the tarmac as the cargo was loaded. The flights landed in either Goma or Kisangani, eastern Congolese cities where Rwandan-backed militias were strong. According to a 2008 International Rescue Committee report, Congo’s civil war caused several million deaths—more than any other conflict since the Second World War.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/03/05/disarming-viktor-bout

Bout's got the most bodies from supplying Rwandan forces in Congo, which aligned with US policy as far as I can tell.

quote:

The ups and downs
Before the Rwandan genocide against the Tutsi in 1994, the country fell within France’s sphere of influence. Washington did not view Rwanda as a strategic partner.

But the US’s relations with Rwanda changed after the genocide, based on a desire to help support the new post-genocide government. The result was the forging of close diplomatic relations, a process described by Robert Gribbin, a former American ambassador to Rwanda (1996-1999), in his book, In the Aftermath of Genocide: The US Role in Rwanda.

Gribbin sets out how the US developed close relations with the post-genocide government and the victorious Rwanda Patriotic Front. This included providing military training for soldiers and commanders, which still continues.

Thanks to the efforts of former assistant secretary of state for African affairs Susan Rice (1997-2001) under the Clinton administration, the US became a close ally of Rwanda.
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/the-us-and-rwanda-how-the-relationship-has-evolved-since-the-1994-genocide

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
During the 90s, it seemed most of his “work” was with US aligned forces and during the 2000s it was generally the opposite. He was arrested running arms to FARC.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

gently caress this war and every rear end in a top hat against negotiations

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Gresh posted:

gently caress this war and every rear end in a top hat against negotiations

cruise missiles into Moscow uwu

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Isizzlehorn posted:

cruise missiles into Moscow uwu

Time to end this! (I am talking about humanity if that is unclear.)

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

its loving mind blowing how there are absolutely zero statesmen in charge of the US right now, just a bunch of psychopathic ideologues with years Russiagate brainworms

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Kamala gonna lock up Britney Griner for marijuana possession.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lol on the "how are the dudes running a liberal democracy liberals!?"

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

marlboro reds are very nice to smoke

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Seems like the electricity grid in Odes(s)a has completely collapsed, authorities are recommending that civilians evacuate the oblast completely.
https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1601685832414691329

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

sum posted:

Seems like the electricity grid in Odes(s)a has completely collapsed, authorities are recommending that civilians evacuate the oblast completely.
https://twitter.com/I_Katchanovski/status/1601685832414691329

I believe the cumulative effects of the infrastructure attacks are the only thing moving the conversation towards negotiation. "Well tell RUSSIA to knock it off!!" is not a strategy for forestalling or handling a humanitarian crisis in progress when people start freezing. We already told them to, now what? I guess we fight them more, but without electricity now? :ok: